3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #196
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I made the quinoa pancakes by LizRR on page 5 of this thread. Served them with WF Blueberry syrup and a cup of blueberries. OMG!!! It was a huge plate of pancakes and very satisfying. To make it easier for the morning, I made them last night and reheated in the microwave.
That's definitely on my list. I tried LizRr's Baked Apple Pancake this am. Switched it a bit to fit with what I had in supply, etc., but overall followed her recipe. It was delicious.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #197
Senior Member
 
ladylunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 274

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Default

Hi guys just popping in with you for the week and am super excited for trying some of your recipes so thank you. I am just going away and doing a phase out then I will be back in about a month to get closer to a goal which I have yet to pick. Anyway thinking of trying to bake a muesli cookie, plus yogurt and strawberries, and ham. OMG crazy. I just got the sheets from my coach today so am cramming, but thanks again for all your posts so I can learn. This is going to be so fun and not going lie kinda complicated adding it all up.
__________________
I just upped my ticker by 41 lbs since April. Time to do something about it.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #198
Senior Member
 
ladylunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 274

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Default

OK the muesli cookie did not pan out, I need to figure out what to use for a fat to actually get a proper cookie. Butter and coconut oil are so high! First time really looking at nutritional infos... What a concept! So I made muesli pancakes and they were so good. I don't know if it's just because I ate pancakes or if they were really good....First day since Jan 17th I didn't have coffee and shake for breakie.

So here is the recipe. It makes 6 pancakes a serving would be 3 and by my calculations which I just recounted and got different numbers...jeesh thought I had it...ok so don't trust them APPROX 306 cal, 25 net carb, 11g fat, 23 protein. Sorry but the pancakes were good so I will post anyway. I had a bit of ham, yogurt, strawberries to get to just under 500 cals for this breakfast.

Muesli Pancakes

1/2 cup bob's red mill old country style muesli (put in magic bullet to grind down a bit)
1/4 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
sweetner of your choice
dash of sea salt

Whisk together in small bowl.
In another bowl whisk together:

1 tbs melted butter
2 eggs (I bet one would work too)
1/2 small container greek non fat yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup skim milk

Add dry to wet and whisk together. I put a little coconut oil in pan to cook.
Tomorrow for my syrup I will be using remaining alotted dairy to make a cream cheese syrup. There is a restaurant in Victoria BC that has a cream cheese syrup and it is delicious!
__________________
I just upped my ticker by 41 lbs since April. Time to do something about it.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #199
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I made fresh almond milk in my Vitamix for the first time and OMG was it ever good. I will never go back to buying cartons of almond milk.

Question on low fat ricotta. The lowest fat I could see was still 10%. Is this reasonable or are people finding lower fat versions?

For P3 breakfasts, I'm wondering if it would be okay to still incorporate an IP packet? I'm trying to find a gluten free alternative to English muffins that aren't high carb, high calorie rice flour. I plan to make Scorbett's Eggs Benny recipe as soon as I can figure this out. So I was wondering if I could use the potato purée packet as the muffin base? I'm going to email my coach about this too and will let you know what she says.
Hi Kitkat - I've been using Light Ricotta Cheese, by Silani. The tub says it's 4% M.F.
Serving size is 5 tbps, and nutritional stats/serving are:
Cals 60; Fat 3g; Sat F 2g; Chol 20mg; Sodium 150mg; Carbs 3g; Fiber 0g; Sugars 3g; Protein 5g.

P.S. - What's happening with this website? I obviously posted after Kitkat, as I responded to her question about low fat ricotta cheese - but my post ended up above hers!?

Last edited by evepet; 03-22-2013 at 01:49 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #200
Started IP 1/14/2012
 
KitKat169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 691

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Default

I made fresh almond milk in my Vitamix for the first time and OMG was it ever good. I will never go back to buying cartons of almond milk.

Question on low fat ricotta. The lowest fat I could see was still 10%. Is this reasonable or are people finding lower fat versions?

For P3 breakfasts, I'm wondering if it would be okay to still incorporate an IP packet? I'm trying to find a gluten free alternative to English muffins that aren't high carb, high calorie rice flour. I plan to make Scorbett's Eggs Benny recipe as soon as I can figure this out. So I was wondering if I could use the potato purée packet as the muffin base? I'm going to email my coach about this too and will let you know what she says.
__________________

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #201
Started IP 1/14/2012
 
KitKat169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 691

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Hi Kitkat - I've been using Light Ricotta Cheese, by Silani. The tub says it's 4% M.F.
Serving size is 5 tbps, and nutritional stats/serving are:
Cals 60; Fat 3g; Sat F 2g; Chol 20mg; Sodium 150mg; Carbs 3g; Fiber 0g; Sugars 3g; Protein 5g.

P.S. - What's happening with this website? I obviously posted after Kitkat, as I responded to her question about low fat ricotta cheese - but my post ended up above hers!?
I've noticed these out of order postings in other threads too. Weird.

I guess i need to keep looking for other ricotta options. For the same serving size, mine is 100 cal and 7g fat. Lower sodium than yours at 105mg. 6g protein, 2g sugar.
__________________

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #202
Started IP 1/16/2012
 
WingnutandMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan
Posts: 1,179

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I made fresh almond milk in my Vitamix for the first time and OMG was it ever good. I will never go back to buying cartons of almond milk.

Question on low fat ricotta. The lowest fat I could see was still 10%. Is this reasonable or are people finding lower fat versions?

For P3 breakfasts, I'm wondering if it would be okay to still incorporate an IP packet? I'm trying to find a gluten free alternative to English muffins that aren't high carb, high calorie rice flour. I plan to make Scorbett's Eggs Benny recipe as soon as I can figure this out. So I was wondering if I could use the potato purée packet as the muffin base? I'm going to email my coach about this too and will let you know what she says.
First, you MUST tell us how you made almond milk. Sounds great.

Next. for your add a protein pack question. For my on-the-go breakfast, I make the Breakfast Cookie recipe and add the Proti-Snax Chocolate Chip Sweet Roll to that recipe to get the protein right instead of adding protein with like meat, eggs, etc. That's tough on the go.

Did you see this gluten free english muffin recipe? Don't know much about gluten free stuff
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...h-muffins.html

Hope some of this info helps.

Molly
__________________


Started maintenance 3/7/2013


Last edited by WingnutandMe; 03-22-2013 at 08:46 PM.
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #203
Started IP 1/14/2012
 
KitKat169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 691

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Default

Thanks Molly. I'll test out the nutritional info for that muffin recipe to see if it works. My coach replied back to me too that I can use the potato purée as part of the breakfast if I want. Anything to make it work.

The almond milk is simply 3 cups water, 1 cup raw almonds. Blend in the Vitamix for a couple minutes. Add sweetener if you want but I prefer unsweetened. I don't know if it is part of the Vitamix magic but it ended up thick and creamy. It tastes like almonds more than store bought.
__________________

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #204
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Thanks Molly. I'll test out the nutritional info for that muffin recipe to see if it works. My coach replied back to me too that I can use the potato purée as part of the breakfast if I want. Anything to make it work.

The almond milk is simply 3 cups water, 1 cup raw almonds. Blend in the Vitamix for a couple minutes. Add sweetener if you want but I prefer unsweetened. I don't know if it is part of the Vitamix magic but it ended up thick and creamy. It tastes like almonds more than store bought.
I'm interested in trying this too, as almond milk has been my primary 'milk' for quite a few months now. One of the reasons I've never frequented the 100% thread is because of my regular addition of almond milk to a few things. I surfed the net and found a recipe last evening, after getting the idea from your post - it says to drain it through a fine mesh sieve after it's been blended. Plus to soak the almonds in water for quite a few hours before hand. Were these two steps part of your procedure? I'd need to go out and buy a fine mesh sieve...... I'd certainly prefer to avoid a more complicated process if yours is simpler and produces such a good result.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #205
Started IP 1/14/2012
 
KitKat169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 691

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I'm interested in trying this too, as almond milk has been my primary 'milk' for quite a few months now. One of the reasons I've never frequented the 100% thread is because of my regular addition of almond milk to a few things. I surfed the net and found a recipe last evening, after getting the idea from your post - it says to drain it through a fine mesh sieve after it's been blended. Plus to soak the almonds in water for quite a few hours before hand. Were these two steps part of your procedure? I'd need to go out and buy a fine mesh sieve...... I'd certainly prefer to avoid a more complicated process if yours is simpler and produces such a good result.
I just put the water and almonds in the container and hit blend. My recipe said you could sieve if desired too but I found that the pieces are so fine that it wouldn't be worth it. I don't know how it would work in regular blenders where maybe it wouldn't get fine enough. I didn't not soak the almonds and can't see why I would need to. When I made the first batch, I used part of it right away in a recipe but then put the rest in the fridge. By the time I tried it the next day, I would consider the pieces well soaked but no difference in the texture or taste.
__________________

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #206
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I just put the water and almonds in the container and hit blend. My recipe said you could sieve if desired too but I found that the pieces are so fine that it wouldn't be worth it. I don't know how it would work in regular blenders where maybe it wouldn't get fine enough. I didn't not soak the almonds and can't see why I would need to. When I made the first batch, I used part of it right away in a recipe but then put the rest in the fridge. By the time I tried it the next day, I would consider the pieces well soaked but no difference in the texture or taste.
Ok. Thx KitKat. I bought some natural almonds, so I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have a Vitamix, just a 'regular blender'.... so fingers crossed.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #207
Started IP 1/16/2012
 
WingnutandMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan
Posts: 1,179

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Ok. Thx KitKat. I bought some natural almonds, so I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have a Vitamix, just a 'regular blender'.... so fingers crossed.
Let us know as I don't have a Vitamix either.

Thanks
Molly
__________________


Started maintenance 3/7/2013

WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #208
Senior Member
 
GreatLakes86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 105

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Re: Almond milk.

The soaking is to help with phytic acid which is found in grains, legumes and nuts. It binds to minerals and makes it difficult for the body to absorb things like magnesium, zinc, iron, etc. You don't have to soak, but that's why a lot of recipes suggest it.

As for the straining, I have made cashew creamer (same idea, just use less water) for my coffee in the past (pre-IP) and if you let it settle a while, the bits go to the bottom. If you don't you end up with a bit of sludge at the bottom of your coffee cup. I didn't mind it, but I'm not sure I'd serve it to guest, haha.

I used a regular blender and am looking forward to making almond milk in maintenance this summer.

One other thing is that you want to use raw nuts, not roasted ones. Enjoy making nut milks! They are super tasty!

Last edited by GreatLakes86; 03-23-2013 at 09:00 PM.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #209
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Let us know as I don't have a Vitamix either.

Thanks
Molly
I'll report in for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes86 View Post
Re: Almond milk.

The soaking is to help with phytic acid which is found in grains, legumes and nuts. It binds to minerals and makes it difficult for the body to absorb things like magnesium, zinc, iron, etc. You don't have to soak, but that's why a lot of recipes suggest it.

As for the straining, I have made cashew creamer (same idea, just use less water) for my coffee in the past (pre-IP) and if you let it settle a while, the bits go to the bottom. If you don't you end up with a bit of sludge at the bottom of your coffee cup. I didn't mind it, but I'm not sure I'd serve it to guest, haha.

I used a regular blender and am looking forward to making almond milk in maintenance this summer.

One other thing is that you want to use raw nuts, not roasted ones. Enjoy making nut milks! They are super tasty!
Thx GreatLakes. I like the idea of your cashew creamer for coffee too. Something else to explore soon.

I decided to soak the almonds after all. I got researching more, and as I did starting realizing that the purpose is to help remove the phytic acid content - and why this is an advantage - as you said above. Seems like a good idea, so my almonds are now soaking and will continue to do so until tomorrow morning.

Also, the more I read, I realized that a Vitamix is fantastic for making almond milk and their users can get good, faster results without including the soaking/straining processes. We can still get good almond milk using regular blenders, but soaking and straining is often judged necessary by those who use them. I've explored this now on several blogs over the past few hours, and they almost always do the soaking/straining steps if they're not using a Vitamix.

I'll wait and make my judgement call about straining after I see what the blending actually produces tomorrow morning. One one of the blogs a poster recommended a process of straining the blended almond milk slowly through a juicer. I see that there are others that recommend putting the combo of soaked almonds + water directly through a juicer, and making the almond milk that way. Since I have a pretty powerful Jack LaLanne Power Juicer, I'm thinking I'll give this a try tomorrow am. Other folks use a fine mesh sieve... I saw a few that use a 'paint straining mesh bag', such as you find at most hardware stores. (Although I think I'd want to boil & dry that before using it?... just to be on the safe side). They also sell hemp-based 'nut milk bags' for the straining process, but I'm not sure whether they're a off-the-shelf item or not. Either putting it directly through the juicer - or after it's blended to remove the sediments - seems like the easier to me, since I have the juicer.

Between this and my first attempt at a flaxmeal wrap for breakfast tomorrow, I'll have an interesting, experimental day with new food stuffs.

Last edited by evepet; 03-23-2013 at 10:56 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #210
Senior Member
 
GreatLakes86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 105

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default

evepet, you can also just use cheesecloth or a bit of muslin fabric to strain. A lot of people take the "bits" and dry them out in the oven or a dehydrator and add them into baked goods or whatnot. Use them like bread crumbs, maybe? I think they might be nice in meatballs or tuna cakes to add a bit of texture.

You can make any type of nut into nut milk...reduce the water for nut half/half....reduce it further for creamer. Most people use almonds since they are the cheapest, but cashews are a nice treat. And if you want to sweeten it, you can add a medjool date or two when you blend. Or add vanilla flavoring. If you're going to make it into creamer, you could add any type of flavoring that sounds yummy.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phase I Beachers - Week beginning May 28 Ruthxxx South Beach Diet 23 06-01-2007 08:24 PM
Starting Phase 1 - March 13 scrappinRN South Beach Diet 67 04-04-2006 01:05 PM
Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 11/3-11/9 Debelli Sugar Shakers 174 11-09-2003 09:35 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2