Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #76  

Height: 5'4"

Is canned tuna (canned in water) allowed on IP? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #77  
1/6/14

S/C/G: 296/271/225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondalynny View Post
Chocolate Pancakes: My coach actually told me they weren't good, so I didn't bother. Seeing a poster say they are gross reiterates my fear of trying them. Really hate to waste a meal!!

It's actually my weekend breakfast treat. I like them, just have to make sure you have a no stick pan and olive oil spray. I put about 4 oz of water and make about 4 med size pancakes. They're thin, almost like crepes but I'm fine with them. Then I pour Walden Farms maple syrup on them. I kinda like them.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #78  
Lynn

S/C/G: 218/186/160

Height: 5'8"

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douger963 View Post
It's actually my weekend breakfast treat. I like them, just have to make sure you have a no stick pan and olive oil spray. I put about 4 oz of water and make about 4 med size pancakes. They're thin, almost like crepes but I'm fine with them. Then I pour Walden Farms maple syrup on them. I kinda like them.
hmmm....will try them or get the WF chocolate syrup and use it on the plain crepes! I do love chocolate! Thanks for the input.....
Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #79  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Don't let me scare you off! I've found that a lot of foods make me feel that tingle in the back of my throat. It could have been my reflux acting up or something else. My coach really likes them!

Went out to dinner tonight on "date night" with my son (age 6, our little ritual once a month). We went to one of my favorite places, a very upscale restaurant, and I was a bit nervous, but he loves and requested it. I am SO proud! Woodfired redfish on a cedar plank, broccolini, and NO creme brûlée with homemade vanilla bean ice cream! My son still had his favorites and normally we share, but after I ordered, he said, "Wow, mommy. You sure are working hard on this diet. I'm so proud of you. Next year you'll even be able to ride the roller coasters with me, right?" He was so excited and so proud, that he broke my heart. I may or may not have cried a little in a fancy-schmancy restaurant. You can bet your steadily shrinking backsides that this year, I'll be riding EVERY ride with him. Even that stupid giant yellow slide with the ultra narrow stairs.

Jolie
Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #80  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Oh, and the best part. Just now tucked him in (an hour late!) and asked what was the best part of his night. He hugged me so tight, and said, "Spending it with you mom. All of it was my favorite because we were together. And now that you're working to get healthy so you can live longer, that means we'll get to spend longer together loving each other from Earth, not Heaven." Children really hit the nail on the head sometimes.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #81  
1/6/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondalynny View Post
hmmm....will try them or get the WF chocolate syrup and use it on the plain crepes! I do love chocolate! Thanks for the input.....
I'm going to have to try that too. I went to Paris in September, and every morning I got the chocolate crepes and cafe creme for breakfast. I can make that at home, w/ IP vanilla drink in the frother, & espresso, IP crepes and WF chocolate syrup.

Question. I just ran out of sea salt, and ran to the store to pick some up. I thought I was getting a great deal because it was in a big container. Sea Salt in big white letters. However, when I got home it was white and not natural color. Does that mean it was bleached, and is it a problem?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #82  

Quote:
I'm going to have to try that too. I went to Paris in September, and every morning I got the chocolate crepes and cafe creme for breakfast. I can make that at home, w/ IP vanilla drink in the frother, & espresso, IP crepes and WF chocolate syrup.

Question. I just ran out of sea salt, and ran to the store to pick some up. I thought I was getting a great deal because it was in a big container. Sea Salt in big white letters. However, when I got home it was white and not natural color. Does that mean it was bleached, and is it a problem?
We threw out our white salt knowing that the darker it is the better it is for you. I believe if it's white it is bleached and they add back the iodine in but it's a man made iodine.
Regarding your alkaline question yesterday, I see my coach on Monday and I can ask her. They seem fairly knowledgeable about alkaline vs. acidic. Good questions. I'd like to know too.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #83  

Good to see you back Carla! Welcome back.

I love the chocolate muffins with caramel sauce drizzled on top of them. Too bad it's a restricted.

Linden, Would you share what are the symptoms of being allergic to soy? When you said people can be allergic and not even know about it....Then my friend was telling me her doc told her people should stay away from soy. She didn't say why though.

I was gone for a day (spring cleaning at home) and I had a lot to catch up on! I WI on Monday, I'm getting closer to my original goal of 160 but decided to go lower so I won't be overweight anymore. My high should be 159 and low is 134ish.
Great job everyone, especially the newest memebers sticking to it. It will change your life!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #84  
1/6/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
We threw out our white salt knowing that the darker it is the better it is for you. I believe if it's white it is bleached and they add back the iodine in but it's a man made iodine.
Regarding your alkaline question yesterday, I see my coach on Monday and I can ask her. They seem fairly knowledgeable about alkaline vs. acidic. Good questions. I'd like to know too.
Hmm...the brand is called Hain. It says on the front, "this product does not provide Iodide..."

Thanks for checking your coaches. I'm pretty lucky I seem to have some good coaches. The one I see most often lost about 60lbs on Ideal Protein, so she knows the diet from experience. She was researching gout last time I was there.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #85  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post

From one allergy sufferer to another, I hope you feel better soon! The only nice thing about having snow and winter, is that they let up! LOL!

Good luck, sounds good!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!
Thank you! I normally have allergies only march to may and late september to november, our blooming season. This is probably the earliest I have been hit and I have lived in this start for 40 years! I have been taking my zyrtec all along and have been using my spray med it just doesn't seem to be making much difference. I did pick up a homeopathic earlier and it may be making a dent in how I feel. I will keep me fingers crossed that tomorrow is better.

Also, I just saw your pictures. You can really see a difference! You must be so proud and excited each time you look at yourself in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadancer View Post
Happy Saturday, everyone! I had a great NSV today...a friend that I haven't seen for a while, complimented me on my weight loss then commented that I look like my daughter (16 yo and a size 2!) or rather, that my daughter looks like me! She is also the first to tell me that I have lost enough. I thanked her then assured her that I'm not done yet!
What a nice pair of compliments! Sometimes we have a better sense of what we look like and what we want to look like than those around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
Quick question: Must we have romaine? Or any lettuce, for that matter? I'm not hungry! When I feel like snacking, that's my go-to, but I've been busy and haven't thought about food much.

Jolie
Romaine is preferred because of its nutritional value. You may have other lettuce mixed in to break up the monotony but, try to keep as much romaine in as possible. YES, you must have the lettuce. It is a strong contributor to the nutrion/vitamins that we are needing. Our multi-vitamin is designed to supplement the diet not be a complete substitute for those vitamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoangel View Post
What a day! I went ice fishing with my fiance and well, food options were crazy..so here it goes:

Breakfast- Subway- egg, onions, spinach (the guy looked at me awfully strange, but he put it in a salad container and gave me a fork!)

Lunch- Subway!- spinach/lettuce salad w/loads of veggies....and a chicken breast....btw, eating a cold salad on the frozen lake was not at all appetizing!

Snack- Mint Hot Cocoa shake....mmmmmmm, warm me up!

Supper- (after my nap) I'm going to make meatloaf...using the grated cauliflower. The guys will get baked potatoes....hmmm, me? Not sure, had baked turnips last night. Need inspiration I guess!

Maybe over on the protein, but I didn't want to have a bar/puffs because of the high carbs, so I thought a chicken breast would be better. What a day....will focus more tomorrow....when the guys go back out to fish....and I stay home to "clean" (stay warm!).

Happy IP(ish) day!
Sounds like you made pretty good choices for a phase 2 day. Sometimes that is the best you can do when you are "traveling". I wouldn't worry about it much. Tomorrow will be more normal and there should be little to no impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea2011 View Post
Hi everyone! I just tried the Zucchini Fries and they were pretty good... still a little soft in the middle for my liking but still good. I have a question though.... I know there is a lot of discussion about measuring veggies before or after cooking... I measure before cooking because that is what my coach says to do. I measured out my 2 cups and put it in the oven... because I was trying to cook it until it was a little crispy, they shrunk a LOT!! I felt like I was not getting enough veggies... or am I? Any thoughts out there??
What you lost was water so, yes, you got the same overall nutrition and volume. You are doing just fine. It is the same as when you cook down a cup of spinach. In the end, the spinach looks like one over sized soup spoons volume. It is still the same calories and nutrition though. Be aware of that so you are not tempted to over eat cooked veggies and end up with more hidden carbs that you expect. Did you know that 1 cup raw spinach is roughly one carb but 1 cup cooked spinach is 7 carbs? That could sneak up on you pretty quickly if you did 2 or 3 cooked cups of spinach a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couts71 View Post
can anybody answer me a question? If we were to use 1/2 tsp of cornstarch in a recipe how would that effect us on IP or is there a substitute we could use?
1/2 tsp is approximately 1 carb. In an entire recipe it is almost negligible. It is the same carb impact as 1tsp of garlic powder added to a recipe. It is equivalent to 1 cup of romaine or spinach. If you are sharing that recipe there would be virtually no impact. Just make a note to yourself that you used it so you can see if you have any personal impact, some people do not respond well to corn products (allergy usually) and will retain some fluids after exposure to an allergen.

As for a substitute, you could try arrowroot powder. It is much lower in carbs, virtually zero in 1 tsp. It can be added to hot recipes to make gravies but, it needs to be added slowly, in the last 10 min or so of cooking and should be done over a much lower heat setting as the heat will break it down and the sauce will revert to a thinner consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
daffydownlillies asked:

Hello, I am 11 days in to IP. I would love to know:
1) How bad is it to cheat a little bit, say adding more skim to coffee or having less veggies? (I haven't yet, but I wonder if it will majorly set me back?)
2) What "add-ons" can you have besides what they tell you in the info packet? Like, can you have sugar free cool whip or crystal light or sugar free jello?

Thanks gals! I have already found these IP forums so helpful and motivating!
DAFFYDOWNLILLIES:

My opinion is adding more skim milk is a problem only because, "add a little, add a little" more begins to happen. Skim milk is low on fat but higher on carbs and will add those unnecessary carbs quickly. Try using the ready to drink vanilla shake as your coffee creamer. Or mix a vanilla pudding to add in. I prefer the RTD. It is rich, creamy and adds a nice sweet, vanilla flavor. If you use too much it counts as a protein but, my coach allowed my to have 1/4 per day and not count is as a protein. It did not slow my weight loss to do that.

You may add any zero cal, zero fat, zero carb food. You should be looking for products only sweetened with stevia (rebianna), acesulfame K (potassium), sucralose (splenda), xylitol, or mannitol.

The things you ask about are allowed by some coaches and not by others. This would be your call with your coach or, if you are doing this on your own, your call based on adding one item to your week, noting the impact to your weightloss COMPARED TO A WEEK DONE PERFECTLY TO PLAN, and then deciding if your body can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulleriina View Post
I wonder if anybody had any surgery while on protocol? I need to have hysterectomy and I'm not so worried about the surgery (yes indeed I am but what's going to happen for my weight loss ? I really want to lose my weight and have been doing well so far ...
Many people have had surgery. Depending on the surgery you will need to discuss the preferred diet with your doctor. Many are perfectly fine with the program. Some prefer you go to a phase 3 plan so you have a slightly more balanced diet, more calories, and more complete nutrition. They want to ensure your body has all it needs to heal properly. Plan to have some kind of stall. It may not happen but, if it does you won't be shocked. Very often a stall is seen during an illness and following a surgery. When the body is healing, it frequently builds additional fluids necessary to the healing process. As you get back to normal those fluids will go away. Don't stress. If you are watching your diet, you will just jump back on plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatchick View Post
Hey everybody!! Way to go with all the losses and accomplishments!!! I have a NSV...I played baseball with my daughter today and didn't get out of breath the least bit!!!!!!! Last year was tough playing with her but now...watch out!! lol
WOO HOO!! That is awesome! She must have been so proud of you and so excited to have you keeping up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debonadiet View Post
I went to my grandmother's 91st bday party yesterday, AND spent the night with her. ... and did NOT fall off the IP wagon!!! typically, any visit to her house at all totally derails my healthy eating plans. There 's just too much food, and she doesn't really like to hear that i don't want to eat it. This time there was so much delicious food for her birthday (i won't go into it- but all of my homemade faves that i can't get unless i'm visiting. and i live HOURS away. plus not one, but two cakes) i'm so proud of myself! i really didn't think i was capable of turning down all that stuff. woohoooo!
I know what you mean! Me visiting my grandmother's was like a trip to the candy store! I always nibbled. Now, it doesn't even occur to me. Congratulations on your NSV! I know exactly how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Is canned tuna (canned in water) allowed on IP? Thank you in advance.
Yes. BUT, look for a low sodium variety or one with lower sodium values. Make sure it is water packed. My coach regularly used canned tuna. It made it possible for him to manage the costs of the diet and meet his goal. He did great, lost 67 pounds in 65 days (he's a guy so kinda of normal), and used the tuna several times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyWit View Post

Thanks all you picture posters - it takes courage and I applaud you for it -- you all make me know I can do this and that someday I will stop telling my husband to only take pictures of me above the neck (ha, ha, ha)-- which is really hard with an infant - needless to say we have some awkwardly posed family pictures
You will be so surprised how quickly you'll love seeing yourself in pictures. Even if you don't want to, let him take pictures of you from many angles and regularly now. Don't look at them if you don't want to. In about 8 weeks, start comparing how they look. IT IS SHOCKING the transformation you will make in 2 months! You never have to share those starting pictures with anyone but your husband but, you will regret and wonder if you don't have a way to compare where this journey began.

Trust me, I am the girl who had more pictures taken of me running from the camera than from the face. And, there haven't been many pictures before recently. I now value the pictures that were taken. At one point, I was changing so quickly, my mind couldn't comprehend it and those pictures really provided a reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
Went out to dinner tonight on "date night" with my son (age 6, our little ritual once a month). We went to one of my favorite places, a very upscale restaurant, and I was a bit nervous, but he loves and requested it. I am SO proud! Woodfired redfish on a cedar plank, broccolini, and NO creme brûlée with homemade vanilla bean ice cream! My son still had his favorites and normally we share, but after I ordered, he said, "Wow, mommy. You sure are working hard on this diet. I'm so proud of you. Next year you'll even be able to ride the roller coasters with me, right?" He was so excited and so proud, that he broke my heart. I may or may not have cried a little in a fancy-schmancy restaurant. You can bet your steadily shrinking backsides that this year, I'll be riding EVERY ride with him. Even that stupid giant yellow slide with the ultra narrow stairs.

Jolie
That is such a sweet story. You have an amazing little guy!

There are so many things you don't get to enjoy in life when we step away from "normal" sizing. It is so nice when you realizing you are getting those things back.

At one point we had a thread talking about what we most looked forward to while losing weight and reaching goal. So many of us posted things like: crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in plane and stadium seats, wearing boots again, and things like that. I will have to see if I can find that thread, your amusement park plans remind me of it.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #86  

Regarding taking pictures that only you will see and your loved one.....I just have to share this story. When I started a diet years ago, I had my sister take a picture of me in my bra and underware and I lived with her and her husband, well she forgot to hide them and he was eating his lunch at the table, saw some pictures and thought they were of the kids or something. I didn't see him look at them, but I can imagine his reaction when he saw those.
So....warning, if you get pictures taken, hide them!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #87  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
There are several ways of retrieving sea salt, some methods do include chemicals, and some methods retrieve the white salt off the top of a dehydrated salt bed and leave the "dirty brown" salt behind. Unfortunately, it is the "dirty" looking salt that is most rich in the minerals. One of which is the iodide we need. The sea salt you have is "ok" and better than table salt but, it will leave you iodine depleted unless you eat many iodine/iodide rich foods. Try looking for a sea salt that says it included minerals. Redmond's real salt is one, so are several varieties of hawaiian pink, himalyan pink, french grey, celtic grey, celtic pink, and some varieties of land salt (like those from the Salzburg area) can be high in minerals too.

Quote:

Thank you! It is so nice to see you! You are looking so GOOD in your picture. How were your holidays?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #88  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

I love the chocolate muffins with caramel sauce drizzled on top of them. Too bad it's a restricted.

Linden, Would you share what are the symptoms of being allergic to soy? When you said people can be allergic and not even know about it....Then my friend was telling me her doc told her people should stay away from soy. She didn't say why though.

I was gone for a day (spring cleaning at home) and I had a lot to catch up on! I WI on Monday, I'm getting closer to my original goal of 160 but decided to go lower so I won't be overweight anymore. My high should be 159 and low is 134ish.
Great job everyone, especially the newest memebers sticking to it. It will change your life!
The only really obvious symptom I had was hives one day when I'd only had soy packets. Other days sometimes my eyes would be itchy, or my ears. But I didn't make the connection until I read that people with hypothyroidism should avoid soy AND it mentioned that "a lot of people are allergic to soy but don't know it."

Since I'm allergic, or food sensitive, to a lot of things -- corn, nuts, tomatoes, beef -- you know, the staples of American cuisine, I asked to be tested and sure enough.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 182/146/130

What is a normal water %? I bought a new scale that has the function but I am not sure of where I should be? Mine says 46% and I drink all my water +++! Is this normal?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #90  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
French sel de mer and sel gris as well as Italian sea salt all have natural iodine in them.

Edit: Sorry, AMY, I answered this before I saw that Carla had. But since I'm in here, let me make one last plug for Hawai'ian pink salt. It, too, has natural iodine and, for my money, the best tasting of the lot -- if you can get it. But then you could always just come for a vacation and. . . .

Last edited by Linden; 01-16-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Closed Thread