General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 09:14 PM   #121  

hi everybody. congrats on the weightloss pam that is awesome. you are doing great.

aphil, busy with the house huh???

kd580 sorry if i sound stupid , but what is wts. hope you are alright. patience.

i have been just doing ok. so i keep staying at the same weight, i have to do better.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:44 PM   #122  

hi willbethin,

dont sweat it. most people dont know bout wts(wilsons thyroid syndrome is similar to hypothyroid in its symptoms, but can not be detected in blood tests. It appears that Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome is due to the thyroid system getting bogged down, leaving the metabolism maladaptively slow.

Every other known thyroid condition has to do with glands and how well they supply thyroid hormones to the blood stream. But WTS has to do with the tissues and how well they process thyroid hormones supplied by the blood stream.

the only way to know is to monitor your temperature on a daily basis, mine is about 96 on average instead of 99 which is why i cant lose weight& i need a doc appt asap so i can convince her i have this and get on t3.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:11 AM   #123  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post To kd580 regarding Wilson's Syndrome...

You might want to read this...from the American Thyroid Association website:

http://www.thyroid.org/publications/...6_wilsons.html

And another from Quackwatch: http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consumer...ws/wilson.html

Basically, there is no current scientific basis for "Wilson's Syndrome". In fact, taking T3 can be not only useless but downright dangerous, which along with the non-existence of WTS is probably why your medical insurance won't cover it.

Heres an article from http://www.thyroid.org/publications/.../signalv41.pdf :

Quote:
T3 Toxicity Alert

In March, three Atlanta area women were hospitalized with thyrotoxic crises after taking T3 capsules compounded at a local pharmacy. Two of the patients were delirious and required ventilatory support for more than a week. All three women were being treated for "Wilson's Syndrome". Many more patients in Metro Atlanta and eastern Alabama - some with no evidence of underlying thyroid disease - have been prescribed compounded T3, and some have been found to have thyrotoxic serum T3 levels. The Georgia Drugs and Narcotics Agency is investigating...
Let me stress that I am not trying to rain on your parade here - the Internet is a wonderful place to find information but at the same time there are a lot of not-so-truthful places out there - I urge you to read the articles, talk to your regular doctor and find out the facts. The fact is, normal human body temp fluctuates...it doesn't always stay at 98.6 - sometimes it's a couple of degrees lower, sometimes a degree or two higher...

If you feel you have a thyroid problem, you may want to have your doctor do a biopsy, thyroid scan or ultrasound (I'm not a doctor but had a thyroid test done years ago when trying to figure out why I was so fat - BTW, my thyroid tested out normal!)

Take care!
Old 11-25-2001, 10:50 AM   #124  

hi kd580, how is it going, hope you are all right, let me know what doc says.

mrs jim is full of information, i hope you check out what she has to say.

like i said i never heard of it so i cant give my input, but if you feel something is wrong, you should go to doctors.

good luck.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:56 PM   #125  

mrs. jim,

thanks for the info

willbethin- thank you for your concern will keep ya posted.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:04 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

what you are wearing, if you Hi all,
Kid580-I have also had thyroid tests done-not because I thought it was contributing to my weight, but for my hair falling out, and other symptoms. I was normal in that area also. Mrs. Jim is right-there are a lot of things that can affect your body temp besides thyroid-activity,clothing,diet-it is so hard to get something by that means of checking.
You never said how many calories you are eating, or what activity you do-that could mean a lot.
Willbethin and Tupo-I have been so busy-sorry I didn't check in sooner. The house is coming together-the weight will soon.
Take care,
Aphil
Old 11-25-2001, 04:14 PM   #127  

aphil,

thanks. i try 2 eat 1500 cals. i havent exercised in a while, since summer.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:44 PM   #128  

hi everyone, i had a minor setback today mom in law stopped by with a cheesecake and cocktails, it is putting christamas light up day and we had some company and good cheer. i am trying to not go overboard, but know i could have had better control.

the excercise really does help. i have always excercised, but i kept eating like i always did, soon as i cut down on eating the weight came off. so i know i can excercise 4 days a week for 30 min and if i just cut back on eating and take control the weight will come off.

although i have never had a medical condition thank god, i have talked to people that have, and i dont know if i could do it, not only having to deal with a weight problem but medical issue to, i give those people lots of credit.

lets all hang in there and get to our goal(to get healthier, besides losing weight.)
Old 11-26-2001, 11:00 AM   #129  

Hi all,
Having a good morning-am back on track! Willbethin. let's do this and look good this summer!
kd580-your calorie level looks okay-do not go any lower than that. A low calorie diet for a long time can slow the metabolism, so you need to exercise to speed it back up and burn calories. It sounds like you body is in conservation mode-and exercise will bring it back up. When you lose weight without excercise, you still look flabby, not toned and fit-just the same but smaller.
Try walking, or it you are short on time, Denise Austin has Hit the Spot or Shortcuts videos to tone your body in shorter amounts of time each day. You will also feel much better.
Let's do this girls!
Aphil
Old 11-26-2001, 12:31 PM   #130  

thanks APhil,

i do exercise but not in the cild as i am very limited to begin with because i have cerebral palsy& cant do much but swim.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:42 PM   #131  

Hi ladies,
It has been a good day-have stayed under my calorie limit-I will have a sugar free hot cocoa for a bedtime snack.
kd580-do you do any sort of physical therapy? If you do, that would also count towards your excercise. There are also specialty excercise videos for those who are disabled, are in wheelchairs, and the elderly. Hit excercise videos on your search engine on the computer, and go to a few excercise video sales sites. They will be under specialty or special needs type sections. I hope that helps. Any activity will help your muscles in your situation. Small things like doing ankle circles will help you-it is very important you keep moving, even if it is not much.
Willbethin-how was your day? Hope you have excercised and eaten well.
Tupo-how are you doing sweetie? I know you have had a rough time lately.
We can do this-let's look great this summer.
Aphil
Old 11-26-2001, 09:38 PM   #132  

thanks aphil,

ill check it oyt. i dont have pt. today was very very bad for me.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:13 AM   #133  

hello everyone, how are we doing???

ahil you are sounding great, so glad you are back on track. well i for one am not going to be at this weight come summer time. i go to the beach alot and every year i say i am not looking like this again. well this is the year i mean it.

i am doing good, but i am starting to obsess about food again. i just have to keep it simple, eat when i am hungry and stop when full. i can do it. we all will do it.

how is the house coming??

we are back and we are serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 01:20 PM   #134  

willbethin,

good for you!!! yesterday very bad day.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:54 PM   #135  

kd580, did you make doc appt. about wts?? sorry you had a bad day yesterday. i was doing so well today, until i just ate a big piece of leftover cheese cake with whipped cream. i told my hubby to take it to the boys at work, but he didnt. well i have to not turn this into a binge, i will try to eat healthy the rest of the day. hope you are having a better day today.
Closed Thread