General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 07:01 PM   #16  

Hi willbethin! I started out at 246 and am now at 200.5 which would be 45.5 pounds. I am hoping to soon break the 200's. It has been a long road.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:51 PM   #17  

hey girl, you are there. wow you are awsome!!!! losing that much weight is something to be proud of. the most i ever lost was 17 lbs. i am only at 13 lbs right now. but i know with my never give up attitude i will get there. we all will.

hope everybody is doing well.
Old 09-19-2001, 09:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi all,
Great job Sadiegirl! Can't wait to cheer you on when you break the 200 mark!
Willbethin I hope you are doing well on your new plan.
Southerngal, how are you?
Well ladies, I am going in to the doctor to have a lot of bloodwork done. I am still losing hair, and in the past month I have lost about 1/4 of it. I am going to have to wear a hat in a couple weeks if they can't figure out what is wrong. I have been so upset about it. My husband just doesn't understand-it's not like a man losing his hair.
I was really depressed last night-I told him now I am going to be fat AND bald. I just don't know what to do!!!
It is really scaring me, I keep thinking of all the things that could be wrong with me.
I am trying to be positive though, especially in front of my kids. They love me no matter what, and I keep trying to think of them.
I hope you all are doing well, and pray that I work through this soon.
Keep losing girls!
Aphil
Old 09-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #19  

hi aphil. i feel so bad that you are going through this, i cant even imagine what you are going through. good job keeping positive around the kids, till you know for sure.

what a scary thing losing your hair, i know i would be crying everyday, you are right about it not being no where near when a man loses his hair. i am sorry i dont have any good advice for you but to hang in there girl, and do let me know what is happening to you. i will be thinking of you, lets think positive thoughts.

i am doing good on my plan, but i am going to give in to pms today, it is my moms birthday and i am going to have a hoagie with her and probably a piece of cake, if it wasnt pms i could probably order something healthier, but i will have half for lunch and half for dinner or save for another day.

hang tough girl.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:10 PM   #20  

Default Calorie Counting???

How do I determine how many calories I need to lose weight? I weight train 2 times a week for 40 minutes and I do some type of cardio for 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes. I am 5'7 and I am currently at 170. I would like to lose about 30 pounds.

I have seen so many different calorie ranges I don't know what to follow. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2001, 01:34 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)

Livein -

I don't often post on this board, but I saw your query below.

The best way to acertain how many calories you need daily is to calculate your BMR. There's an excellent site, www.hussman.com/eas, that has tons of info. However, if you just want to skip to the BMR Calculator, go here: http://www.hussman.com/eas/bmrcalc.htm

I do encourage you to read the useful info on the site, though - you'll learn a lot on how our bodies work as far as burning fat and gaining muscle (which causes you to burn even more fat!).

Take care...
Old 09-20-2001, 12:12 PM   #22  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi guys! I am with you. I am not critical of whatever you do, but the fact is there are a few things that have to mesh to keep this nasty stuff at bay.

1. The old adage is true; it didn't come on in a day and it won't come off in a day.

2. YOU MUST BREAK old habits that cause you to eat forever, ie., tv eater, bed eater, stress eater, etc. We all have them!

3. Permanent weight loss must be a life goal and you must not look at it any other way. You have to eat what your body needs and leave the other stuff alone. Each of us is different and our body works well on different things. Losing weight is never a quick fix but a lifetime commitment. Sad but true.

The really terrific thing is that is can be done if we have patience and perserverence and accept those bad days as just something that happens and keep on going.

I have to lose about 200 lbs. I am not planning on being 140 in 6 months. I know it will take time. I am going to do this this time.
I was on Richard Simmons food mover and lost 60 lbs but I gained it back as soon as I quit using it. It is a terrific healthy program just like WW but it is not right for me because I WANT more control. What I mean is I am working on it this time. I found out my metabolic rate/calorie intake, how much I need to lose weight and what not to go below. I have put together a notebook with calorie counts in it and three weeks of menus I have set up for myself I worked hard at this and it took awhile to put together but I think it will work out great for me. I am also starting a walking plan slow at first but I will gradually get there.

Well, I have to go. I am at work and someone brought me something to do.

SEE YA Donna
Old 09-20-2001, 01:16 PM   #23  

hello everyone, i am baack. welcome baskoflove, cute picture. it really sounds like you have got the right attitude and a terrific plan. go for it girl.

i was on richard simmons too and it wasnt enough food for me. i was on ww and just recent lost 13 lbs. until last week i decided i needed a change and once again i am finding, that it is too strict with the eating plan.

so here i am once again, doing it the most non restrictive way, eat less, eat anything i want when i want and make healthier choices. excercising and water is not a problem, i just have to get this eating thing down. i am not a quitter so i am gonna do this. i have about 50 more to lose. good luck. this is a very supportative group here. visit more often.

now i have to go to the body for life board and tell them it is just not for me, although i did learn alot from this program, i feel i cant stick with the eating plan.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:26 PM   #24  

hello, i just want to start by saying, i have learned alot from this program and i love the excercise part of it, but i cant do this eating plan, i am feeling deprived, like i cant have what i want until my freeday which is making me want the food more.

sometimes i just want to have a yogurt for snack and not eat a protein with it. sometimes i want a glass of milk with a piece of fruit. point is i feel i am being told what to eat and when to eat it. it feels to restrictive for me. i am thinking about food to much, almost obsessing over it. watching the clock, trying to get in every meal. i know it sounds like i am whining, but i need to eat what i am in the mood for. not what a list tells me what to eat.

i love his book and the positive attitude and i got a lot of new food ideas too. you see on ww or just eating healthy plan, i could have worked the hoagie and piece of cake into the plan. with bfl you cant. thank you for your support and good luck with your plan.

i dont feel like a quitter, because i am still striving for eating less, making healthier choices, excercising with his plan i love his excercies, and drinking my water. i will be on the old fashioned way board again.

oops, this was suppose to be in the body for life board.

Last edited by willbethin; 09-20-2001 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:01 PM   #25  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Default diet power

Has anyone used diet power to help them track their calories. I was wondering if it was any good.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:30 PM   #26  

sorry i cant help you i never heard of it.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:46 AM   #27  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Hello there~~

I just want to tell Willbethin that we will miss you on the BFL board. I wish you luck in your journey to be healthy. Remember to do your exercises and make healthy food choices and you will do fine. Just remember though,"If you do what you 've always done, you get what you always got".

In answer to It's my life~~~I have not tried diet power BUT there is a free site called Fitday ( www.fitday.com ) where you can enter the foods, activity, etc and it will automatically calulate your totals (calories/protein/carbs,etc) . You can view my public journal on Fitday at this link if you are interested. Just click on the back-arrow to view the previous dates. Your private page will show you graphs and different reports that are not shown on the PUBLIC pages. I highly recomend it.
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/PublicJ...l?Owner=silbar

~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 09-21-2001 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:48 PM   #28  

Hi Guys, I'm back. Been vbusy with kid's school.
Been working out steadily and must admit, like willbe thin, I've tried or rather added something new! I'm counting carbs, actually the Atkins first 2 weeks, I don't know what it's called, but it works like a diuretic I think. I feel great and energetic. I've been doing so much research on this dieting thing and I was coming to a standstill with not losing, so I'm giving this a whirl.

I'm also trying to figure out how weight training/muscle building plays a part in losing. More later on that one.

Hope all is doing well. I'm still doin it the ole fashioned was because I'm not going over 1420 cals/day!!! Just eating different stuff. Let me know what you all think and thanks,
Kelley---atkhorses
Old 09-22-2001, 02:48 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Hi everyone!!!!

Hi all,
I went to the doctor and had some thyroid tests done to see if that was the cause of my hair loss, but it was okay, and it seems to be hormones and stress. So hopefully in a few weeks, it will stop and I wil start to feel better.
atkhorses-you wanted to know what we all thought of the Atkins-I personally do not recommend it. There are some muscle building benefits to eating more protein, but the induction phase of the diet is too strict and unhealthy. You are allowed no starch, fruit, and only minimal vegetables and you are putting your body into a false starvation. There are plans to lower carbs, that are healthier-if you want to go that way, try reading Protein Power, or Body for Life. These plans limit carbs, but still allow you the healthier ones like fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Where you get into trouble with carbs is the refined ones-biscuits, cake, bagels, donuts, Pop-Tarts.....
An easy way to spot these is if they are white or close to white in color, and have 1 gram of fiber or less. they cause a spike in blood sugar and cause you to be hungry sooner. Try eating bread with at least 3 grams of fiber a serving, and rice, or a baked potato instead of these. Also, by cutting out fruits and a lot of vegetables, you are losing fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
2BEFIT1-I am glad Willbethin is back with us. I don't think the problem with her weight loss is by not doing BFL-a program cannot work for you if you cannot stick with it.
Willbethin-try to work on not so many extras-drinks, etc. on the weekends, and I think you will see better results. You should definitely stick with the muscle building excercise you are doing-it will make a big difference in how you feel and look. I am glad you are back. You just need to buckle down a bit more.
I totally understand how you feel about being on a strict plan like BFL and it making you wnat to eat even more. I am the same way. I also am not into plans like BFL or LA Weight Loss that push their meal replacement bars or shakes. If I want protein, I would rather eat an egg or yogurt for half the cost and better taste.
Well, I better go-you all take care.
Aphil
Old 09-22-2001, 09:53 PM   #30  

Default I'm back!

Hi girls!

I feel like I've been out of touch for a while. I've had one sick child and then I caught the flu from him, so I was sick. Plays havoc with my exercise and eating program! I'll be back on track next week though.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Aphil, hang in there. If it is the stress that is causing the problems, you are dealing with it. Things will surely settle down. I've added you to my prayer list. Keep up the positive thoughts.

atkhorses, I have to agree with Aphil about the Atkins program. I've done it but it is so restrictive, it seems unhealthy. I gained back what I lost as soon as I quit the program. There are lots of followers of the low carb plans, but I know it is not for me.

willbethin, I've tried lots of different programs too. I am an avid reader, and check out every new program that comes along. Maybe one of these days, we will find the one that is perfect for us. In the meantime...we'll just do it the old fashioned way!

Hey, sadiegirl! Have you hit that 200 mark yet? You are sooooo close! I'm cheering for you and can't wait to say congratulations!

Welcome newcomers! We are glad you could join us! Hope everyone has a terrific weekend. Catch you later!

southern gal
Closed Thread