General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 08:30 PM   #31  

hi everyone, i am just catching up on everyones posts.

2bfit, i just saw your post , thanks, i am still trying to figure it all out.

sadie, southern and aphil. thanks for your mentioning me in your posts. i am still trying to work things out. but i am not giving up and i always excercise and drink my water. i do need to get more strict with myself and figure out how i want to eat for the rest of my life.

atkhorses, i do agree about carbs, i feel they do make me want to eat more, but i cant stick to lowcarb diets. i am still ,like you forever reading and trying to put the information i read about all the eating plans to suit me. i just have to pick one,and get determined, i have to be stronger. which while reading bfl i was really getting motivated. i did only give it one week. the excercises and motivation i get from his plan are great, i just have to get the eating down, because it is all healthy stuff . i do not like to take supplements or protien shakes though.

hope everyone is feeling better. and still striving for a healthier lifestyle.
Old 09-30-2001, 10:25 AM   #32  

Hello everyone!! I have not had a whole lot of opportunity to check in here. I am down under 200 to 198.75. I was glad to finally break 200 as it has been too long that I have seen numbers under 200. I hope you are fine aphill & willbethin.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:50 PM   #33  

Default hello, all

sadie girl, boy am i proud of you, good job girl, bet you feel great!!! keep up the good work.

hope everyone else is doing good. went to the shore this weekend, i did get french fries with cheese on the boardwalk, but i did split them with two other people. i usually get a whole bucket of fries for just me, so i felt i did better than i usually do.

was feeling a bit run down today, cant tell if it is my allergies or i am getting a cold. took some aspirins and benedryl so i hope i am feeling more energetic tomorrow to excercise. looking forward to starting a new week. new month new attitude. take care girls.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:29 PM   #34  

Default Good job, girls!

Hi all!

Sadiegirl, way to go!!! I know it feels great to see those numbers go down - I'm really proud of you for sticking with it and getting there! Yeah!!!

willbethin, what will power! Fries with cheese is a hard one to pass up. Smart thinking to share with everyone else!

I'm not doing great but tomorrow starts another week - and another month - and another chance for me to get on track! It's 11:30 here and I have to get up at 5:45 so . . . . . . . . .goodnight, girls!

Southern gal
Old 10-01-2001, 08:07 AM   #35  

Default hi girls

thanks southergal, yup, new month new attitude, lets do it girls. we can be strong. lets just choose to eat healthier, eat less junk, excercise and drink at least 8 cups of water a day. sounds so easy right??? we can do this.

aphil, hope you are feeling better. not everyone can get online as often as me, (being recently unemployed) so i hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #36  

Default Where do Calories Come from?

Can you tell I'm new? I posted this as my own thread, when I thought I was posting here!

Okay, I have tried to do WW for almost a year. Never really doing well. I promised myself that I would start counting calories. I have begun today. I worked out, I had a good breakfast and lunch. I just had 150 calories worth of cookies. I'm kicking myself. I suppose I have the all or nothing notion.

My point?? I guess I would like to hear what everyone else's experience has been. Granted, I know the more healthy selections I make, the better but can I lose if I do have some treats? As long as I stay in my calorie limits? Which by the way is 1400-1600.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-01-2001, 02:53 PM   #37  

Angry hi livein

well where do i start?? never really did the calorie counting ,but have tried ww which i guess is almost the same thing, just counting points instead.

since april 28th i have been on no diet approach, ww points, low carbing richard simmons and body for life.

but what is for me is no more diets. i am trying to eat less of my favorite foods, less junk, but i still have it just once in a while and less of it. excercise and 8 cups of water a day.

when i am on a specific program i think about food all the time, how much points do i have left should i eat this or save calories for later.

i am just trying to eat sensibly with a little indulgence now and again. i have to stop obsessing over what i can and cant have.

i will eat what i want when i want, it is up to me , without any program telling what i have to eat and when i have to eat it.

since going on and off diets, i lost 13 lbs since april 28th, very slow i know, but i have to be patient and stick with this way of eating for the rest of my life and stop jumping on every new diet program that comes along.

this is just my opinion and what i choose to make a life style for me. good luck in what you do and hope to see you around.

i do still have 50 more lbs to lose. and the most important thing is to never give up trying to get to your goal.

Last edited by willbethin; 10-01-2001 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:08 PM   #38  

Default Great theory

Willbethin-
I had read a book not to long ago called, "Intuitive Eating". It is basically that exact concept. I lost 15 pounds that way. I just ate better and exercised. I felt like that wasn't good enough and I started to try WW again. I swear I have never stuck to that for more than a week. Now, I am back on the roller coaster of diets again. The comments you made about obsessing about food are so true. That is exactly what I do when I know I'm 'dieting'.

I appreciate your advice. Sometimes, it takes a stranger to tell you something you already know. I guess I should focus on whether I'm hungry or not then counting calories or points. It's so hard to believe that it could be so easy. Good luck with your weight loss.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:34 PM   #39  

Default hi livein

when i first started no diet approach the first time it took me about 3 months to lose 9 lbs, so i thought it wasnt enough either, that is why i went back and forth between all those diets. i think it was just recently i went back on no diet approach. i cant keep going on and off different eating plans. i have to just try, like you said to listen to my body and take control. eat when i am hungry stop when i am full, not ready to puke, from overeating.

c'mon we can do this. we have to get strong, we are stronger than the food. i hope you find the right thing for you. in the back of my mind i keep wanting to go back on low carb or ww points because they did work for a little bit, but they are something i cannot do for a lifetime. so i cant go back on any diet again, i will be setting myself up for failure.

i have to learn to do this myself. but not overeating and no more bingeing. and i know i am gonna have good days and bad days. but i am never gonna say again, oh i ate cheese fries, i blew my diet and then turn it into a binge for the next couple of days. that kind of thinking got me where i am today.

5'3 189/176/125

feeling horrible and ashamed and not wanting to go see people i havent seen in a while because of this weight.

i am gonna enjoy life, and stop trying to think of food so much.

lets do it girls.

Last edited by willbethin; 10-01-2001 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:57 PM   #40  

Hi girls!

Welcome Livein! Like you, I've done the WW thing (actually, I've done the WW thing at least 8 times that I can count) and about a million other diets. If it's out there, I've probably tried it. And I do the same thing Willbethin does - totally obsess with food anytime I'm on a "program". As a result, I'm heavier than I've ever been - and I'm still obsessing with food!

My current approach is definitely non-diet. I pretty much eat what I want on 3 conditions: I exercise at least 5 days a week, I drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water, and I eat at least 5 fruits or vegetables a day. I feel like if I do that, I can have a "treat" without feeling so guilty about it. (On days that I don't follow my "conditions", I usually think twice before I pig out on something!) For me, it is coming off very slowly - but I can live with this. I can't quite shake the guilt feelings when I eat something I know has absolute no nutritional value but I feel like that is from years (literally) of "dieting" strategies.

I was always a size 10 or 12 (I was never a real small girl) until I had kids. After that I gained a ton over about 5 years and have struggled with it ever since. At my age (forty...something!), I'm trying to be realistic and realizing that I may never see a size 10 again. But I do want to be in better health and not be so embarressed to be seen. My kids deserve more from me than that. I want to have the energy to keep up with them!

Okay, enough about me (boy, can you tell I've been feeling sorry for myself lately?!!!) Girls, good luck with whatever you are doing. I really feel that our "programs" have to be something we can live with - for the rest of our lives. Living without certain food groups (isn't cake a food group?) is not going to get it.

Best wishes to you for a thinner tomorrow!

Southern Gal
Old 10-03-2001, 06:39 AM   #41  

Default hi girls

how is everyone doing???

southern gal, so true, so true. i have been staying the same, so i sort have been not feeling so good about myself, but i dont let it get me down anymore, and i certainly dont turn it into an all out pig out session. although i got some bad news about my grahm yesterday, she is back in the hopital, i over ate but not a binge and that is a step in the right direction. and i will be back on track today.

we will all have days where we eat something we know we shouldnt, but we will eat it and go on to our healthy eating plan. we wont feel like we went off our "diets again". we just enjoyed something we were craving and let it go. we should try to not do it too often though. good plan about excercise and water.

as for cake as a food group? i think it is, it is in the same food group as my cheesefries LOL. i just have to keep taking it one day at a time.

i agree about the kids, my daughter deserves more too.

my weigh in day is tomorrow, i fear i will probably stay the same. i had some good days and some bad days. i just have to work on more good days then bad.

lets just keep on trying, for if we give up and there are days where will still will feel like giving up, we will surely fail. we have to get to our goals, to feel better about ourselves.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:36 PM   #42  

Talking Diet Power

I use Diet Power and highly recommend it. It lets you know how you are doing not just in terms of calories, fat, protein and carbs, but in terms of sodium and vitamins. It is easy to use and more than one person in the family can use it on more than one computer.(with privacy if they like using passwords).

I tried using similar things on the web and they were fine (and free) but the food lists on Diet power are really comprehensive and allow you to document your receipes and add food too. Also the response time is good.

It also lets you chart your exercise and gives you calorie credits for the exercise so people who are exercising more get more calories. It also banks your spare calories every day so you can see that binge didn't realy compromise everything. It adjusts your calorie limit based on how fast or slow you are losing weight.

But you have to enter in all your food and exercise or it does not work. When I use it, I lose weight. When I don't, I gain so ...

195/130/176
Old 10-03-2001, 12:46 PM   #43  

Default hi marshmellow

thanks for the info, glad this is working for you. congrats on you weight loss so far.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:12 PM   #44  

Thumbs up Day three out the window!!

gfgf

Well, I'm not sure what happened. The chocolate chip cookie dough and I had a battle of the wills and I didn't win. That let to a bit of a binge. I seemed to have grabbed control as of now and I'm going to try to let it go and just eat healthfully for the remainder of the day. It just kills me that I crumbled so easily.

I am so sick of battling food.

I'm trying to teach myself that it shouldn't be so important but I swear that is a difficult feat.

On to tomorrow....

I suppose it could be worse. I could of gone on a three day binge.

PS- I use fitday.com to journal my food and activities. It's free and I could spend a million dollars on a program but it isn't going to do me a bit of good if I'm not following my plan.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:04 AM   #45  

Default hi livein

we all have days like this, if we didnt we wouldnt have to lose weight. i really dont write anything down or go on any website to track my food and excercise. i pretty much know what to eat and how much to eat.

but it is a good idea to track your food , if it helps you stay in control.

i got a hoagie for lunch yesterday, normally i would eat the whole thing, but i got extra lettuce and tomato on it and only ate half of it slowly with a knife and fork and was able to save the rest for dinner.

these little changes are gonna get me to my goal. i am going through a rough time right now with my grahm who is sick and these times are when i tend to overeat or even have a couple drinks.

i am not gonna do that anymore. i still had my hoagie , enjoyed it and didnt feel guilty about eating it.

i kinda of am lucky, i think, because i hear so many people struggling with the sweets, ice cream , cookies. that is not my problem, i never crave sweets. but i do crave alot of carb rich foods. like potates, pasta, rice, french fries and pringles.

so i am working on eating more proteins.

i hope you have a better day today. brush it off and lets stay motivated. we can do it.
Closed Thread