General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #121  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Do you find that people think you're crazy or becoming anorexic for doing IF?
Apparently most of the people I know are afraid of me (I'm five feet tall! What's to be scared of?!?) or at the very least, they know better than to question my diet by now. I haven't told that many people about the fasting, but those I have told for the most part haven't questioned it. One friend did, but in a very cautious way, and once I explained the benefits and the fact that I don't go whole days with no food, she let it drop. I doubt she approves, but luckily I don't care what she thinks.

I work out with my sister a few days a week, and she's studied nutrition and knows the fundamentals of fasting, so she hasn't given me a hard time either. She does juice fasts sometimes, so she gets it.

I did learn an important lesson yesterday. About 22 hours into my fast I came home to try to get my back yard mowed ahead of another round of spring time storms. My back yard is big, but not colossal or anything. It takes about half an hour to mow. It's a lot of uphill, but I have a power mower so I consider it a decent moderate workout.

Well, after I finished and went inside I was really nauseous. So I ate some raisins and then made dinner, drank some water, etc. I felt better after I got some carbs in me, but I still feel a little off this morning even after eating breakfast. (Though not sleeping last night didn't help with that. I think I overdid the caffeine yesterday.) So lesson learned: don't mow your lawn at the end of a 24 hour fast! I actually only made it about 23 hours in the end, but I'm okay with that.

Oh! PS: I made my secret goal! 195.6 this morning. That's 4 and a half pounds down for the week. Certainly not something I can expect every week, but I will take it while I can get it!

Last edited by thistoo; 04-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #122  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Do you find that people think you're crazy or becoming anorexic for doing IF? ... Anyway, I just wondered if any of you have had others question you and how you handle it. Thanks.
Yeah, it's definitely misunderstood. I don't really tell a lot of people, but the close people in my life who I've told are understanding after I explain that I am eating the same amount of calories I would during a day (for weight loss), just in a shorter window of time. When I explain that it isn't as though I fast for 19 hours then eat like a 400 calorie dinner and that's all, they understood better. I explained that I enjoy eating in the evenings, I enjoy larger portions, I enjoy not having to obsess and count all day, and that 1600 calories is 1600 calories whether you're doling it out 300 calories at a time all day long or whether you're eating within a 5-6 hour window (or whatever), people chilled out. Also, I fast for religious reasons as well so the people close to me weren't surprised at that.

That said, I feel no *need* to explain myself to anyone. If I felt someone was being combative or negatively critical (rather than curious or genuinely concerned) I would end the conversation right there. It's no one's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiannie View Post
I think you'll find that IF is completely misunderstood and that most of us don't tell people what we're doing. We just go about life as usual, and because we don't have food restrictions, and because IF is so flexible, we don't have much explaining to do.

It's so funny that a society that is getting larger and larger, despite all of the expert advice on eating, thinks that giving up a meal or two is radical and unhealthy, but that's the world we live in.Glad you found us.
I agree. The world has gotten bigger and bigger on the "low fat, eat every 3 hours, don't eat past 7pm" mindset -- so I don't tend to put a lot of stock in what society says *shrug*. I do what works. This is working. If it stops working for me, I'll stop doing it ... simple as that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Oh! PS: I made my secret goal! 195.6 this morning. That's 4 and a half pounds down for the week. Certainly not something I can expect every week, but I will take it while I can get it!
That's awesome way to go!!!

Last edited by 35X35; 04-04-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: to change a word :)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #123  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont have to worry about people thinking I am nuts or anorexic, almost everyone in my town is on the Hcg diet

Although it does crack me up that one friend I had mentioned IF too first stated "oh I could never skip breakfast" and then a week later was on Hcg

Last edited by ennay; 04-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #124  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I dont have to worry about people thinking I am nuts or anorexic, almost everyone in my town is on the Hcg diet

Although it does crack me up that one friend I had mentioned IF too first stated "oh I could never skip breakfast" and then a week later was on Hcg
LOL, my sister's in-laws did HCG. They had great success, but now her MIL is, quote, "eating everything in sight" (her words) and regaining, and her husband keeps telling her he's not buying her *another* new wardrobe, so I hope she didn't give away all her old clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35X35 View Post
That's awesome way to go!!!
Thank you!

Last edited by thistoo; 04-04-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning all!

I tell people who ask about doing IF. I really don't care what people think. I usually just get, I don't know how you can go without eating for so long. I need 3 meals a day, etc., etc. I also go to the lunch room at lunch time while everyone else is eating. Really doesn't bother me. I think most people trust that I know a lot about dieting in general, so they don't question my methods. I guess that to be the case anyway.

Sum38 - Good job on your fast.

thistoo - Awesome job with the loss. Thats huge for a week.

I was pretty darn excited this morning. I lost an additional .8 lbs, making the total for the week 1.6. I'm thinking it was water or something, because I usually don't lose on my non-fasting days. So I'm counting it this week!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #126  
Still Maintaining! :)

S/C/G: 260/146/146

Height: 5'6"

luckymommy What I get from anyone I tell (few and far between) is that it can't be healthy and I will destroy my metabolism. They are just uneducated and suckered into believing lies of the food advertisers and others. Those who are more accepting just can't understand how I can do it, only because they've never tried it and don't realize it is a lot easier than you would think! I don't argue or try to defend my choices, I just go on my way.

As far as eating disorders, I can't see how IF would promote them (or stop them for that matter). That is an entirely different thing.

Italiannie is exactly right. It is mind boggling to me that people are getting bigger and bigger, yet they keep promoting the same tired, carb heavy, deprivation type diet plans. You'd think they would get a clue!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #127  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

KTucke7 - I think IF can help with binge eating - at least for me. Since I get to eat larger meals and really am "allowed" to eat anytime in the window I seem to binge less. As I move away from calorie counting at all and obsession I seem to be having less binge urge - but I never had it severely - never to the point of a full blown disorder.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #128  
Still Maintaining! :)

S/C/G: 260/146/146

Height: 5'6"

ennay I absolutely agree. As I've probably said before, the first bite I take sets my appetite in motion. I really don't get hungry until it is actually time for me to eat. That's why I can control it so much better when I do IF. When I can eat until I'm actually full in my eating window I can control my craving or binging much better. It isn't the problem it was when I ate my 300-400 calorie "meal" and was never satisfied.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #129  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTucke7 View Post
ennay I absolutely agree. As I've probably said before, the first bite I take sets my appetite in motion. I really don't get hungry until it is actually time for me to eat. That's why I can control it so much better when I do IF. When I can eat until I'm actually full in my eating window I can control my craving or binging much better. It isn't the problem it was when I ate my 300-400 calorie "meal" and was never satisfied.
I third that. On the eat-every-three-hours diets I am SO HUNGRY. Seriously, every meal I'm planning for the next meal where I am 'allowed' to eat *just enough* to be super annoying to me. I enjoy larger portions -- call it what you want, analyze it, tell me that's "wrong", that I can "retrain" myself to be satisfied with half a cup of something -- tell me a handful of nuts will make me feel "full".... whatever... it ain't happenin' LOL I know my body.

IF gives me the freedom to enjoy when and how much I eat, and I love that about it. I love that there is no dogma attached to it, or "rules". If I am super hungry, like to the point where it is seriously distracting. I have a little something. Whatever. I haven't "blown" anything. I love that you can still count calories, watch carbs, eat whole foods, raw foods, fried foods, anything, and tailor it to your lifestyle. Me personally, I still count calories because I am mindful of binge behaviors and don't want to overeat during my window. However, I love how it fits anyone and anyone's lifestyle!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #130  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35X35 View Post
Me personally, I still count calories because I am mindful of binge behaviors and don't want to overeat during my window. However, I love how it fits anyone and anyone's lifestyle!
Heh....and I have STOPPED counting calories because as I recall I rarely rarely rarely binged before I started counting. . For me I have gone with the - "really, how much damage can I do in 2 meals" mindset and usually I am eating the good stuff but even on the days I dont I realized that I cant usually eat more than maintenance on an exercise day without making myself sick.

For me a major binge trigger was often. " Oh ****, I really want that leftover this and that leftover that and I didnt really know how many calories were in that to begin with let alone after we picked out all the shrimp and now I am estimating what was an estimate to begin with and ..... F' it. " Kablooie
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #131  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA - one of the major "problems" I had when starting IF was I would be FREEZING all morning until my first meal. FUH-REE-ZING. And today I am really freezing. two pairs of socks AND slippers. 3 shirts including the warmest sweatshirt I have ever owned. Contemplating putting long-johns under my flannel sweats.

Thinking "Well, you did pretty much abandon IF last week so maybe this is just what it is getting back into it."

Oh. Or apparently my furnace is broken (yes furnace, it was 36F when I got up this morning and now is a sweltering 46F just before noon) Temp in the house is now down about 15 degrees from my normal wear a sweater in the house temp.

It is kind of hard to type with gloves on.

Thank god the gas fireplace still works and there are french doors on that room. I have one room almost up to livable.

Now if I could only get any of the furnace repairmen to return my call.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #132  

Agree with everyone here. I love the freedom of IFing. I hated counting calories.

And I love being able to eat a "bigger" meal during eating windows. I was always hungry all the time when I tried the "small meals throughout the day" thing.

As for the freezing thing... that's still me! I am cold all the time. The thermostat in my house reads 73 degrees, and I'm still cold! It's weird.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #133  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

My thermostat is now down to 57 and it usually reads warm. I keep it at 68 normally but most of the house is around 66 then.

If I hadnt already done a long run this morning I would get on my treadmill to warm up.

OK....back under the blankets I go. I cant leave the house because they will be here "sometime this afternoon".

I swear to god if the furnace kicks on when they get here I will shoot myself.

Last edited by ennay; 04-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #134  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Ennay - I hope they get there soon. Usually when I bring my car in for repairs it works fine. You know.

Great discussion here on IF, and it's freeing benefits. It is like a weight gets lifted when you decide to do IF. We all seem to be experiencing the IF freedom.

Ktucke7 - You've had such great success. So glad you're here to encourage us.

banananut and 35 - I agree, I enjoy being satisfied with a full, delicious meal and mini meals never did it for me. It was constant deprivation.

Everyone else - keep up the posts. They are so encouraging to read.
What is HCG?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #135  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Had a rough week with food choices - not bad quality, but too much volume. I'm doing a 24 hour fast until tonight and will eat very light.

Back to my regular schedule tomorrow.

IF does give you a quick fix when you go astray.

Hope everyone is well.
Closed Thread