General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #76  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Happy Saturday, everyone! I am working today, but I hope everyone else is getting to enjoy their weekend.

Yesterday (not a fast day) was a very HUNGRY day for me, so I am interested to see how my fast goes today. So far I am feeling the hunger, but it's manageable. I'm working all day, so that should help me ignore it. I'm still hoping to work out before I head home for dinner, since the gym I use is right up the block from work and I live all the way across town, but I'll see how I feel when 5:00 rolls around.

I am holding steady at 198.2 this morning. Hoping to catch a glimpse of 197 tomorrow! My mini-goal at the moment is to put as much distance between me and 200 as possible, so I'm hoping to have a great April and get into the 180s by the end of it.

Have a great day, everyone!

Last edited by thistoo; 03-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 158/158/135

Height: 5'4"

So after 2 days of fast-5 I've gained a pound! How's that happen???!!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #78  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Trish, I feel your pain! My most successful weight losses were when I was doing IF (unbeknownst to me), but I succombed to all the hype and fear-mongering about "starvation mode" and "unhealthy" and blah blah blah.

Italiannie said something (I think it was her!) in the last thread about "it's not deprivation, it's delayed gratification" which I thought was awesome. It's not like we're starving ourselves! I'm still eating the 1700 or whatever calories for healthy fat loss for my size, it's just within a 4-5 hour window -- what the heck is the problem?? I have told only my closest people about IF because I just don't want to hear it. People love telling people what to do, it's annoying lol -- just keep doing what you're doing. I'm grateful for the support and understanding here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBabyRN View Post
Day 2 down for me! I made it to 3:00 today (my goal!). It helped that I decided to paint my living room today even though I was having people over tonight (pretty insane idea). I thought it would help me keep my mind off eating - and it did! So far hunger doesn't seem to be my problem, but headaches and light-headedness do. I agree with the above posts about diet being so much of a mind control issue rather than physical one. I also feel a sense of freedom not having to worry about eating 3 times a day.
I don't think you're insane! I've found embarking on projects totally helps keep my mind off eating/hunger. This is just my opinion, but if you're feeling lightheaded or headachy I would honor that. Not that you have to follow any "rules" but I believe John said something like under 50 calories isn't breaking the fast so when I feel headachy or light-headed I eat something small like 1/2 of a banana or 1/2 serving of hummus with some raw broccoli. Both under 50 calories and get that blood sugar up. That's just my personal opinion though because I believe in IF and intuitive eating so the latter is why I honor the headachy/lightheaded feeling.

Stick with it though -- I love how IF works with *any* lifestyle and can be totally modified to fit everyone's individual needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Have a great day, everyone! I am holding steady at 198.2 this morning. Hoping to catch a glimpse of 197 tomorrow! My mini-goal at the moment is to put as much distance between me and 200 as possible, so I'm hoping to have a great April and get into the 180s by the end of it.
You go!! -- I can't WAIT to be under 200 so keep going, you're doing awesome!!

Well, weigh-in and indulgence day and I'm down 2 lbs! Yay ... I seem to be averaging about 1.5lbs per week but it comes off more like no loss one week, then 2lbs, then no loss for 2 weeks then 4lb loss -- but I WILL TAKE IT lol....

Hope to be in the 70's by next week... woot!

Hope everyone else is doing well
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #79  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Quote:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. We posted at the same time -- but listen, don't lose heart. There are *so* many factors to that and the number on the scale is not accurate short-term, only longterm. As my husband points out, a gallon of water weighs 8lbs, so a pint of water weighs a pound... and a pint is only a glass of water really. So, I'm betting it's water -- or not to be TMI...but if you haven't um...poo'ed yet (tee hee) that can affect the scale by a pound (really!) and also depending on where you are at in your cycle, hormones etc...

Honestly, don't let 1lb get you down if you know you've been staying on plan and not binging when you break your fast. You'll see that number come down It's frustrating though, but keep the faith....
Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #80  
Caroline

Quote:
Don't lose heart! That's the first step. When I started IF I didn't lose right away. It has taken about a month for me to start showing actual loss from fasting, tbh. I think it just takes our bodies a little while to adjust to any change, and yours is probably just hanging onto some water or whatever until it gets used to your new routine.

I do have to calorie count and watch carbs as well as fasting in order to see progress. Could be your diet needs some tweaking (though I don't know because I don't know your plan, so maybe it just needs time and no other changes) but try not to let a temporary gain get you down. Easier said than done, I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35X35 View Post
Well, weigh-in and indulgence day and I'm down 2 lbs! Yay ... I seem to be averaging about 1.5lbs per week but it comes off more like no loss one week, then 2lbs, then no loss for 2 weeks then 4lb loss -- but I WILL TAKE IT lol.
Congrats on the 2 pound loss! That is awesome. I lose the same way, averaging about 1.5-2 lbs a week. I will take the low weeks if the number keeps going in the right direction.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 160/160/140

Height: 5'1"

Wow, reading everyones experience really keeps me going.
Pattygirl, I'm glad that even tho you have struggles with IF you keep going and keep coming for support. It will get better.
Congratulations on everyones success no matter how small and welcome to the newbies!!
I had my moms surgery to go to yesterday and so I ate 3 times throughout the day (12hr window) including cake and ice cream, which I enjoyed. I don't feel bad at all and so far I am on a 14hr fast today.
Wonderful day to everyone of you!!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
I know that is a bummer, isn't it? But not to worry. If it hading't been for the good fasting blood sugar #s, I probably would have quit IF because I gained about 10 lbs on it and I've only lost about 1.5 lbs since then. I just looked back to see when I started even thinking about doing this and it hasn't even been a month. The ebook I downloaded from Fast 5 diet website says that you probably will gain weight when you first start and that you may not start wmlosing weight for 2 or 3 months. So like 35x35 says don't let 1 lb get you down. I really believe it will pay off for both of us in the long run.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmi134 View Post
Wow, reading everyones experience really keeps me going.
Pattygirl, I'm glad that even tho you have struggles with IF you keep going and keep coming for support. It will get better.
Congratulations on everyones success no matter how small and welcome to the newbies!!
I had my moms surgery to go to yesterday and so I ate 3 times throughout the day (12hr window) including cake and ice cream, which I enjoyed. I don't feel bad at all and so far I am on a 14hr fast today.
Wonderful day to everyone of you!!
Thanks esmi. Hope your mom's sugery went well and she has a quick recovery.

I don't always make the 5 hr eating window with the 19 hr fast. Sometimes the eating hr goes to the 8 hrs because I'm hungrier or it's just how the day goes. So I do try to get at least the 16 hr fast of IF done although I prefer 18 to 19 hr fast. But I'm okay with that because I know I'm still doing something good and healthy for my body and I'm going with the rhythm so to speak of my body. At the same time, I will continue shoot for fasting longer with the hopes to eventually include one or two 24 hr fasts in there each week. I'm already doing so much better than I have with my eating before IF that I'm totally happy with how things are going.

Checked my weight and changed my ticker to read from where the 10 lb gain was on IF and showed my first 1 lb loss this week. I like WI day to be Sunday so hopefully I will get a little more for my official WI tomorrow. Glad to see everyone here today. Like I've said this is a fantastic support group.

BBL
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #84  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Give your body time to adjust. It will go down. Just make sure you are staying to your plan during your non fast hours.

Happy Saturday all. I am finishing up a 24 hour fast and am happy to see the scale going down. I wanted to do two fasts this week but didn't make it. My weight has still gone down though. I've been slipping on my Callanetics and really must get back on that.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzthingaling View Post
Give your body time to adjust. It will go down. Just make sure you are staying to your plan during your non fast hours.

Happy Saturday all. I am finishing up a 24 hour fast and am happy to see the scale going down. I wanted to do two fasts this week but didn't make it. My weight has still gone down though. I've been slipping on my Callanetics and really must get back on that.
Missthingaling - Thanks for sharing about giving the body time to adjust. I didn't remember reading that until I read you post.

Congratulations on the weight going down.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #86  

Hi everyone! Looks like most are doing quite well! This group is so supportive and wonderful. I really love reading about everyone's experiences- what works and what doesn't. I don't post much, but read all of the time.

For the person who asked about working out- it never really works for me to do demanding strength training on an empty stomach- well 2 out of 4 times it did (did morning work-outs on the weekend before eating) but when it didn't, it really wasn't worth it at all. I felt sick in the middle of body pump! Not fun.

In my experience headaches and feeling lightheaded only lasted the first week. However, now sometimes I feel so hungry that I can't stand it.

I was on a 16 day vacay and was up 4½ lbs when I came home last Sun. Boooo, was def hoping for less, but oh well. I am down 2½ of that now though. We did do some IF during the trip like almost never eating before 12,1 or 2pm but I guess with drinks and all the great food later in the day, it just wasn't enough. One thing I did notice though (for me) was that we did a bkfast buffet 2 times during the trip and a big buffet early in the day really throws me off for the WHOLE day! They weren't even that early either (one 10am the other 12pm). Buffets are not very good for me in general.

I think I am basically trying for a 8/16 most of the days during the week b/c I get so hungry at lunch during the work week. A longer fast when I can. I have noticed a huge need to count WW points though b/c I tend to eat too much during my eating times, so I have decided to loosely count points. We have a very long weekend coming up for easter- off fri- and don't start till Tue so I will be trying to mostly just go for late afternoon/evening eating- start at 3-4pm. Usually when I am home (and don't even have to be very busy) fasting longer is easier for me. It seems to be harder at work, go figure.

Just a little something funny about my dad who is underweight... he was so excited to have gained 6lbs in a year since his last physical (he could use at least another 8-10lbs). I asked him what his secret was for his weight gain and he told me that he had stopped skipping dinners a few times a week like he used to do b/c he just didn't feel like cooking, etc. I thought I would share that with you guys.... he he.

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #87  

kelleyb - That is cute about your Dad. Guess that shows that IF works doesn't it?

I'm getting too much salt somewhere in my diet. I bought me a microwave popcorn popper so I can have my popcorn w/o salt, but I must be picking it up somewhere else. I have been eating some processed foods when in a hurry and don't want to cook so may have to do more cooking so I can watch the salt in take. So my WI today wasn't what I wanted but I did keep the 1 lb loss and my fbs has been really good the past week, so I'm very pleased with the weeks out come. When I straighten out the salt problelm, I will probably get a whoosh loss. So I'll just keep trucking and wait for that good drop in weight to happen. Started toying with the idea of IF about a month ago... the 7th will be a month since I first learned about it and only got really serious with it about a week ago so I think I'm really in a good place with IF.

I don't think I'm ready for Fast-5 yet. I haven't been really successful with it but a few times. However, the 7/14 and 8/16 seems to work very well for me since I'm one who likes to do most of my eating in the evening and go from 2 in the afternoon and stop around 8:30 or 9 at night. From what I've read it is important to get on a regular schedule, so I believe I will just shoot for that and go low salt as well. That seems to be what this ole body likes and as long as the scale moves even slowly and the fbs stays down, I will consider myself doing very well. Sure will be a lot better than what I've gone through in the last few years.

Also question here? Has anyone found that they cannot drink any kind of diet soda? I haven't drank them in years, but recently got on a diet Mt. Dew kick. Seems I remember that I quit drinking them because of the sodium. I've been allowing myself one a day although not everyday. Had 2 yesterday and could be the salt culprit.

Y'all have a great Sunday and April Fool's Day!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #88  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!
TN - a one pound gain is nothing. Stick with your program, and you'll be fine. Remember that the process is the most important part. If you continue on and perhaps tweak it a little, you'll find success. As others have said could be water or whatever. Keep going.

I noticed that some of you are dealing with a lot of hunger. There have been a few days (just 3 in 3 months) since I started IF that I was actually very hungry - real hunger. How did I know it was real hunger? I waited a half hour or so and I was still so hungry it was distracting. If that happens to you, my suggestion is to eat a small amount of protein and drink some water. Do not go forward in your day if you're starving. It will defeat you.

I did notice that on days where I didn't eat very much protein, the next day I was hungry and craving things. So.... while IF doesn't mandate what you eat, good eating habits are still very important.

The goal is to make IF a way of life and we need to navigate the rare days that our bodies are telling us to eat. You will find that with IF, once you have eaten something healthy and lean on those hungry days, that you will be in much better condition to control your eating until your eating window really opens. IF does teach us to differentiate between real hunger and temporary tummy rumblings. It is a learning process.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Have a great IF day, everyone!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #89  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Has anyone found that they cannot drink any kind of diet soda?
Trish, I gave up diet sodas while I was doing Whole 30, then I relaxed a little and had a few. While I didn't have any sodium issues, I did find that I was hungrier on the days I drank soda. I guess the fake sugar spiked my insulin response.

What I do to avoid resorting to processed 'convenience' foods during the week is to do all my cooking on Sunday. If my meals for the week are prepared and ready to heat up, it's easier for me to stay on plan. Of course I live alone, too, so that's easier for me than it would be for someone with a family to feed.

I'm down another 1.2 lbs to 197 after yesterday's fast. I was fine all day, no real hunger other than a few grumbles, so that was nice. I didn't end up going to the gym after work, mostly because I forgot my water and I knew I couldn't get through an hour on the elliptical without water. So I came home, ate a little something, and then worked out before I made dinner. It worked out fine; I didn't have any less energy than usual.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #90  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Going to be a rough week. Spring break meals were not at my discretion for the most part so I have had a solid week of not only eating bad food, but also eating a "normal" meal schedule.

I'm a bit shaky here at 11 am, so I think I am going to have to ease back into my normal window over the course of the week.

@ pattygirl - I used to not be able to drink diet soda because of the hunger response but I have found that it is one of the things that seems to tide me over better now. So, unfortunately I have seen my diet soda consumption increase on IF. Once I get back into my window I am going to try to back off on it again. I've noticed I crave it now which is a

On the hunger thing - because of how I work out there are days where I am NOT going to make my window - usually the day after a big workout day. I run 2 windows, the "ideal window" and then a larger window around that. It tends to be a "fast 5" ideal window and a leangains larger window. But when I break my fast I BREAK it. I dont try to nibble nibble a tiny protein snack to make it to the real window. I eat a full meal. I've noticed on the days I break my fast a couple hours early, if I EAT then I tend to not need to eat again before I would have normally had my second meal, where if I nibble it turns into a nibblefest and I end up in worse shape the next day as far as cravings, hunger and blood sugar.

Last edited by ennay; 04-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Closed Thread