General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 193/176.5/137

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
My ketostix died so I tossed them, but I can tell by the way my mouth tastes that I'm in ketosis. It's no surprise because I keep my carbs really low on purpose.

I have been kind of taking a break from 3FC so I haven't been checking in regularly. The last couple days have been a struggle for me, but I was down to a new low of 192.6 this morning, so I guess I'm still doing okay. TOM is looming and it's making me hungry and cranky. I'm doing my best to distract myself.

Just out of curiosity, how does your mouth taste when your in ketosis? I have this faint metal taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I burn my mouth with hot tea or something, and its been showing up since I've started IF. My carb intake has been significantly lower as well, typically under 100g carbs a day.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 176.5 /160 /126

Height: 5' 1"

Would like to join this thread as I've just started Fast 5. I'm hoping to eat between 4pm and 9pm and keep an eye on my calories as well. Didn't eat till 4.30 yesterday but made the mistake of not having some food organised in advance so was cooking a meal but at the same time was absolutely ravenous and picking at bits and pieces.
I like the idea of not having to think about food at all during the day, it's kind of liberating after a lifetime of obsessing over what I'm going to put in my mouth next.

Last edited by Dolores Claibourne; 04-15-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #243  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin41 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does your mouth taste when your in ketosis? I have this faint metal taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I burn my mouth with hot tea or something, and its been showing up since I've started IF. My carb intake has been significantly lower as well, typically under 100g carbs a day.
Mine isn't quite metallic, but a lot of people describe it the way you do, so that's probably the same thing. My sister describes it as toxins leaving the body. It's possibly not true ketosis, especially if you're staying near 100 g a day (I'm usually at 40-60) but as long as you're losing consistently, it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Mine isn't quite metallic, but a lot of people describe it the way you do, so that's probably the same thing. My sister describes it as toxins leaving the body. It's possibly not true ketosis, especially if you're staying near 100 g a day (I'm usually at 40-60) but as long as you're losing consistently, it doesn't really matter.
The taste is hard to describe and I have found it's kind of almost a sweet smell to your breath....not great, I disguise it with chewing gum when I taste it! No appetite aswell is another reason I can tell, which obviously a huge ketosis benefit to intermittent fasters.

@Dolores Welcome! Planning meals ahead is always a good idea, but not always possible so don't beat yourself up if you pick while you cook. If it's in your window now and again shouldn't do damage as long as you're within your calories.

Last edited by Rosey85; 04-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I completed another 24 hr. fast yesterday evening and everything went fine until tried to eat, I couldn't do it. I was hungry but the taste of food just made me feel sick.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been sick with a cold. Took Nyquil one night and the scale went back up and fbg as well and I've been fighting cravings since then. I've switched to Theraflu and I've started feeling better but the scale is still up. I guess the meds caused me to have such awful cravings but I'm back OP with IF eating lower carb trying to get those 5 lbs back off although I will have to continue the meds a few days longer.

Dolores and any other Newbies I've missed

I've experienced that metallic taste in my mouth before but didn't realize what it could be. I like the idea of getting rid of toxins.

sapphiregirl- Congratulations on another 24 hr fast.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #247  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Trish, there's sugar in Nyquil, which could have caused the blood sugar spike as well as the hunger. Whenever I eat sugar I'm starving all day, which has been my problem this entire week, so I feel your pain!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

Hey everyone

I was IFing a few months back and stepped away from it for a bit and went back to weight watchers. My weight is at a standstill so I have decided to combine the both.

I think IF and WW will work well for me. I just read a great article about fasting in march edition of Harpers magazine and I am remotivated to get back to IFing!

I am right in the middle of a 48 hour fast. I am testing my fasting limits to see how far I can go since I find a 24 hour fast rather easy.

It's nice to read everyone's experiences and advice here. I look forward to chatting with you guys.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #249  

S/C/G: 193/176.5/137

Height: 5'5

Quote:

I figured as much. I noticed that it went away as I got some more carbs in my body. I'm going to be slowly lowering my carb intake over the next couple of weeks. I tried jumping into a really low carb diet months ago(not going above 30 carbs a day) and it was making me miserable, so I gave up. Starting slow will probably be the best way for me to do it.

I broke my 'no soda' rule today, but to be fair, I only had one and I was at a BBQ! It made my stomach hurt pretty bad, and I have no urge to get back into that habit, so that's good! Other then the soda and a few roasted marshmellows, I ate pretty healthy.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #250  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I have missed this thread. Still IFing. Stalling but my carbs have been up. I am going to try to lower my carbs this week. I have a trip later this week and need to not have that carb bloat feeling. I washed my car two days in a row (inside 1 day, outside next). There was so much to do I used those as my exercise.

Penguin I have to have a Sprite Zero when I'm out sometimes to curb my want to eat. I have found sparkling water helps with Mio or Stevia with flavor as well. Welcome to all the new names.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #251  

Crap! Weight is up! I have obviously not been loosely counting WW points. Lots of hunger and haven't even done well at all med IF (ok some days, but I seem to make up for it outside of the eating window)

I have decided to really buckle down and get started. I have also decided to try to do more low carb eating than what I do now. Also, on the days that I have to workout early, and can't IF as long as I want to, then I will try to eat low carb in the evening (need a few carbs around workout time). I hear ya about sugar being an appetite stimulant. I think it is!

Good luck to everyone this week. I need plenty of luck and hard work myself!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #252  

S/C/G: 230/194.6/150

Congrats to all those that have kept on track and lost some lbs. To those that had some issues .... today is a new day - no time like the present to get back on track and take care of yourself! I am so excited...today 201.2 - I am so close to getting under 200 lbs.....I want it bad. I haven't seen low numbers like this in a long time and am excited to keep going - it's working!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #253  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning all!

Had a pretty busy weekend. Worked on the floors in our bedroom, so I got in plenty of exercise. Was rewarded with a 1.2 lb loss Saturday morning. This morning I was up .9 lbs, but I think that was because I ate late. Should take that back off after today's fast. Would be super stoked if I could take off 2.3 lbs today! That would get me to Onederland, but that elusive little booger is probably not going to cooperate. But I will be happy with anything below 201.3.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #254  
Lo

S/C/G: 140/138/125

Height: 5'3

Morning!

I haven't done a fast since last week. I'm going to start one today at 6pm and break it tomorrow at 6! Bummed that I gained last week..

Good luck on your fast today wvuchick!

Prettylady, yes it is a new day! I have to remind myself of that and that every day can help us move in the right direction.

Kelley - I lost about 8 pounds using weight watchers a year ago.. then the summer came and I stopped counting and gained it all back... hoping that the fasting will help. I stopped doing WW, and now I just kind of count calories. I hope some day I'll be able to completely stop counting calories and just fast twice a week... Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #255  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Hello everyone

Back on the IF for this week, I find it impossible to follow over weekends though. Eugh, anyone have any tips for this?

Doing 16/8 today, but I would like to try fast5 sometime this week and see how I feel
Closed Thread