Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #256  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Krampus, ValRock, JossFit, pixellate: You ladies are all looking smoking hot! Wow!

JossFit: Awww, newlyweds now. You looked beautiful. Welcome to married life!

Krampus: I love pushups! Doing a ton of them (different variations, too) in my P90X-y days is what finally helped build up my shoulders, which were my weakest link up to that point.

Jez: Nice deadlifting! Can't wait to break the 200 mark myself; I'd like to think I'll be there within the next year.

sontaikle: I bet you look fantastic in those leggings!
-----

Back from a week vacation. I did a couple of bodyweight workouts while I was there. Fun! Wanted to fit in a third, but things got too busy.

I ate too much while I was there. I gained back everything I lost (2.5 pounds) in the 4 weeks of dieting I did before I left. I expected to be up when I came back (not that much), and I generally try to be easy-going about my weight, but I confess I'm irritated this time. I know, water weight, etc etc, but it has been a few days now & it's not coming off, and my measurements are still up. Oh well, it'll come off again.

The upside to this, though, is some strong workouts. Have lifted twice since I got back, and I've PRed on about half the exercises. It's a nice consolation prize.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Work-out related vent ... someone in the gym hid the squat bar cushion God-knows where, so I had to do squats without, and it was one of the bars with the rough grip in the middle. I'm sitting at work and the back of my neck is all raw and bruised. Pooey. :-(

Good workout otherwise though! Went from 70 to 80lbs on the seated cable row machine!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #258  

OK, I think I whined too soon. I'm down from an initial high of 126 on Sunday to 123.5 today (previous low 122.5).

Good lifting today. Does anybody else have flattering lighting at the gym? Something about that dim fluorescent lighting makes my arms look straight-up chiseled. I want to carry it around with me...

LovelyAndLosing: ARGH to things going missing. At my gym it's always the one pair of 22.5 lb dumbbells. Nice rowing!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #259  

Height: 5'4

Valrock - Thank you
You're giving up Greek yogurt?! Man, you are made of tougher stuff than I am... I love the idea of Paleo, but giving up my cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt is not going to happen!

Sumire - Thank you! I feel exactly the same right now about my vacation. I feel like I am holding a bit too much water and gained too much considering I worked out every day in the gym, was SUPER active during the days, ate clean all during the days (except the last day I was there and traveling home) avoided sugary cocktails, etc. I am hoping that I too am being premature with my whining!
I weigh in tomorrow since Saturday's are my weekly day, but I know it's going to be pretty horrid. If nothing else, it will give me a good jumping off point for what will hopefully be a big water/fat whoosh next week.

As for the lighting in the gym, we also have a bit of that going on. My arms usually look pretty ripped, which is nice because I'm so pale that it's hard to see the definition in them without angular lighting like that. The only thing that sucks is what it makes my face look like! The lighting was accentuating my premature forehead wrinkles so badly that I actually got Botox... hahaha! (It looks great now though!)

Lovely - 10 pounds is a nice increase! Makes you wonder what else you might be able to lift heavier on, doesn't it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was my first day back to lifting in my own gym... not a bad workout. Due to the extra weight I'm carrying now my pullups suffered and I was not enjoying how I looked in the mirror at all.

Yesterday was just cardio but I had to stop early (I finished later at home with a lame Zumba DVD) because my legs cramped so badly I couldn't even walk. Yay for vacation dehydration!

I've also been sleeping like 11-12 hours the last few nights. yeesh, my poor body was worn out!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #260  

JossFit: Saw elsewhere that your weigh-in didn't go too badly. Yay for you! Hope that things keep moving in the right direction, & quickly. Good for you getting as much sleep as you need to recover!
-----

126 one week ago to 121.5 today. Crazy! That was a heck of a lot of water weight.

JossFit, I know what you mean about a little extra (or a little less) weight affecting pullups, because much to my delight, I discovered this morning that I can now do both parallel grip and close grip overhand pullup singles! So rad!! Also did 4 sets of chinups: 3,2,2,1. Getting somewhere!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #261  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
JossFit: Saw elsewhere that your weigh-in didn't go too badly. Yay for you! Hope that things keep moving in the right direction, & quickly. Good for you getting as much sleep as you need to recover!
-----

126 one week ago to 121.5 today. Crazy! That was a heck of a lot of water weight.

JossFit, I know what you mean about a little extra (or a little less) weight affecting pullups, because much to my delight, I discovered this morning that I can now do both parallel grip and close grip overhand pullup singles! So rad!! Also did 4 sets of chinups: 3,2,2,1. Getting somewhere!
You also just came back from a vacation, hence the water weight you lost, right? I'm hoping that next week's weigh in goes the same for me as it did for you, and that I'm that much closer to where I started! You're right though, overall I didn't fare too badly and I stuck to the guidelines that I set for myself prior to the trip.

Normally I can knock out at least 10 pullups on my first set, and usually it pyramid's downward along the lines of 10, 8, 8, 6 or so... but I think I could only eek out 8 on my first set and then like 6 on subsequent ones... Ugh! haha If nothing else it's just motivation to keep working on them and to get that water weight off so that I'm not pulling up quite as much of myself!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #262  

JossFit: Yep, vacation weight! I bet you'll see the same sort of drop next week. You should definitely be proud of yourself-- both for sticking to your guidelines on your trip, and for your INSANELY awesome pullups, of course.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #263  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
JossFit: Yep, vacation weight! I bet you'll see the same sort of drop next week.

I sure hope so. Just a few extra pounds makes such a difference in my definition and I'm not super thrilled about it at the moment... haha

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I'm home again, I'm back to doing 2 workouts 3 times per week, for a total of about 9-10 workouts. It's a lot, but I never really feel burnt out from it since I eat really well and sleep a ton.

I did notice today that I didn't have a lot of pep getting started, and I'm thinking about starting to take a pre-workout supplement to get me over this hump. I have taken different things in the past (N.O. Xplode, Jack3d, etc.) but am not sure what to try this time.

I would like something that can be mixed up in a small serving and that doesn't have maltodextrin in it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #264  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

No suggestions, but I just wanted to rant a little

If I hear anyone else talk sh!t about how female Olympic athletes look like linebackers or whatever, I'm going to lose it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #265  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
No suggestions, but I just wanted to rant a little

If I hear anyone else talk sh!t about how female Olympic athletes look like linebackers or whatever, I'm going to lose it.
I've been thinking the same thing. What strikes me about the female athletes' bodies is how built for *function* they are. So amazingly strong and powerful. And then I think about the bodies prized by our culture: weak, passive, limp, hunched. And then I feel sad about a culture that prizes weakness and passivity rather than strength and power in its women.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. What strikes me about the female athletes' bodies is how built for *function* they are. So amazingly strong and powerful. And then I think about the bodies prized by our culture: weak, passive, limp, hunched. And then I feel sad about a culture that prizes weakness and passivity rather than strength and power in its women.
THIS! I was watching the female gymnasts and divers on Sunday night and said aloud, "wow, they are just PERFECT." And the guys were like "noooo eww." I was frustrated, because I was thinking how they look EXACTLY like our bodies were designed to look in nature - when we had to struggle for everything and had no modern conveniences. They are just animals! its crazy.

Also, awesome photos JossFit!

Anyways, had a good workout this morning. I did my leg press with FOUR 45's on either side for the first time - felt amazing! A trainer at the gym looked at me and said "Wow, that is impressive. I know who to call when I want to kick down a door!" haha.

Also going to Zumba with some girlfriends today, and really looking forward to it! I think I'm going to do Zumba a couple times a week ... feels a little girly, but I always come out smiling! I can't exactly say that about bootcamp classes haha.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #267  
Staying the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
I think about the bodies prized by our culture: weak, passive, limp, hunched. And then I feel sad about a culture that prizes weakness and passivity rather than strength and power in its women.
Really? I didn't think any of those terms were applicable to modern Western body ideals. I thought everyone wanted to be Allison Stokke the pole vaulter.

In East Asia on the other hand, being a floppy noodle is still ideal, which makes me sad considering how GRUELING P.E. classes are there, and how strong so many high school age girls are in their teens.

Kettlebells and sprints this morning. I had a wonderful moment in front of the mirror where I realized my arms almost look the way I want them to look when they're in action!

Last edited by krampus; 07-31-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #268  

Quote:
Kettlebells and sprints this morning. I had a wonderful moment in front of the mirror where I realized my arms almost look the way I want them to look when they're in action!
I love those moments! Nice workout too!

I don't understand how people find floppy noodle bodies attractive... but to each their own. I figure for each person out there that doesn't want the body shape that I want, that's one more person who just makes me look better by comparison. hahaha
I'm so shallow.

Jamie Eason has pretty much the ideal body type IMO; She's lean and muscular, yet still a bit curvy and small. In clothing she's very unassuming, and she maintains her figure year-round. She no longer competes so there is no "on season" and "off season", which is pretty much how I roll. I strive for constant improvement without having to go through any traditional "bulking" phases. It takes longer, but I prefer it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jamie Eason 2.jpg (16.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #269  
Staying the Same

I'm far too lazy to be anywhere near that lean/cut, but WTG Jamie. She looks like a more tan version of you, JossFit :P

I can do a chin-up or two depending on the time of day these days. And this morning I hit 100 lbs on the lat pull down machine, which is 80% of my body weight and 50 lbs heavier than I started at in March.

I also went shopping for clothes for the first time in a while last night and realized my torso/back has completely transformed! Oh my gosh! I'll be wearing a backless top out tonight to show it off.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #270  

Quote:
I'm far too lazy to be anywhere near that lean/cut, but WTG Jamie. She looks like a more tan version of you, JossFit :P
Crap, I wish! LOL that is the idea though... I think if I REALLY decided to go for it and do a serious bulking/cutting cycle I could get there. Thats a whole lot of work though.

Quote:
I can do a chin-up or two depending on the time of day these days. And this morning I hit 100 lbs on the lat pull down machine, which is 80% of my body weight and 50 lbs heavier than I started at in March.

I also went shopping for clothes for the first time in a while last night and realized my torso/back has completely transformed! Oh my gosh! I'll be wearing a backless top out tonight to show it off.
See, scales are a good gauge of whether or not you are making some changes to your body, but the weight doesn't really matter. What DOES matter are those little "NSVs". Being able to pull your own body weight off of the ground is something most Americans, especially women, cannot do at all. Adding weight to your routine is fantastic, and a defined back is so sexy!

I love to wear racerback tank tops and low back tops these days because I work HARD on my back and it's definitely improved.