Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #271  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I've been using random areas of my house for body weight exercises. Basement banisters for dips, the one free wall for handstand pushups and random crap in the basement to lift. Whatever I did worked, because I was sore.

It's kind of fun, actually. I've been getting creative. Sometimes I venture into the basement and see what I can use...our basement is full of 20 years of random junk--I might as well use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post

I love to wear racerback tank tops and low back tops these days because I work HARD on my back and it's definitely improved.
that's why I'm always looking for excuses to wear tank tops I love showing off my arms!! I saw some friends recently and they kept saying my arms were "awesome." my artist friend even wanted to use me as a reference for a sketch. It came out nice and she got my arm muscles in there, haha.

Sometimes I step back and just think of how far I came. Just last year I didn't want to be caught dead in anything that showed off my upper arms
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #272  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post

that's why I'm always looking for excuses to wear tank tops I love showing off my arms!! I saw some friends recently and they kept saying my arms were "awesome." my artist friend even wanted to use me as a reference for a sketch. It came out nice and she got my arm muscles in there, haha.

Sometimes I step back and just think of how far I came. Just last year I didn't want to be caught dead in anything that showed off my upper arms
Haha, I love this! I'm the same way now. Last year I wouldn't have dared wear a sleeveless top. Now I wear them all the time, on purpose. It's amazing how much lifting can change things!

Last edited by ValRock; 08-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #273  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Okay girls, I am gonna try again. My mom sold the weightlifting sutff (it wasn't mine but het hubby's) so I am gonna start using my gym-membership for this. I do cardio in other ways, so should do weights at the gym.

Still gonna try and do the NROLW.

I so hope I stick to it this time. You've seen me come and go with the weights, it's not been able to interest me. But I have really decided I want to do a half ironman in a year, so it's time I get some more muscle. Also - I am just not happy with how I look even though I am near goal.

Wish me luck. Again. LOL
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #274  

Height: 5'1

Good luck, philana. I actually find weight lifting a lot more enjoyable than other exercise. Because I can do it while watching something on the TV!

OK, I have a very stupid/silly question but it has made me curious.

I started weight lifting in at the start of July. I was doing 20 minutes at first and moved onto 40 minutes most days. Since then, I have noticed the weight on my stomach isn't as jiggy - it's hard. This is a result of weights, right? My main concern would be for some reason I'm worried it will stall weight loss. I have no idea or reasoning behind this thinking but I can't stop thinking it. It won't right? Once I keep up the exercise and stay within my foods, it will be fine? Then I was thinking maybe it's a six pack building behind the weight. The things that go through my head while showering!

Last edited by Dreamer2012; 08-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #275  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

krampus: Chin-ups! Woo! And really nice lat pulls. You have gotten really strong really fast, gal.

JossFit, ValRock, sontaikle: Add me to the sleeveless shirt club.

philana: Good luck & welcome back to the thread! I'm excited for you and your half ironman!

Dreamer2012: Weight training certainly isn't going to stall fat loss. That'll be all about the calories. So take a deep breath! When I noticed my stomach "feeling harder," I think it was a result of losing enough fat off the top that I could really feel the muscles beneath. It's awesome! Go you!
----
Speaking of arms & sleeveless tops & all, I'm starting to see some better definition in these last few pounds.

sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #276  

Height: 5'4

I ate like absolute poop the last two days (Meh, it happens) but I decided to try and make the most of it by getting a good heavy workout in today!

I'm ashamed to admit, but I've been slowly shying away from really pushing myself on lifting heavy and focusing more on conditioning and CrossFit METCONs as opposed to muscle building. Now I want to re-focus a bit and work on gaining a teeny bit more mass, so I did a modified 5x5 workout today.

I Picked a few heavy exercises and did 5 sets of 5 reps, and superset each one with a smaller muscle group and slightly higher reps, just to hit that stuff between sets. I ended up doing;

Hack squats @ 260lbs + calve raises @ 260 lbs
Stiff Leg Deadlifts @ 155lbs + pushups
Bench Press @ 105lbs + bench dips
Military press @ 65lbs (cleaned into position) + bench v-ups
Barbell bent over rows @ 115 lbs + EZ bar bicep curls
Dumbbell lateral raises @ 25lb DBs + Reverse Crunches

Ugh, pathetic! I used to lift so much heavier than that. Ultimately I lift to look a certain way, so if I have to sacrifice a bit of strength to maintain my tight figure I'm okay with that, but I think I can lift heavier and stay fairly cut if I just make it more of a priority. My plan is to do a heavy 5x5 workout once a week or so just to gauge progress and push past those comfortable weights.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #277  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
Speaking of arms & sleeveless tops & all, I'm starting to see some better definition in these last few pounds.

Uh, YEAH! Its amazing what a difference just a couple of pounds can make once you've got so few left on you. Nicely done!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #278  

S/C/G: 135/129/118

Height: 5'4"

This is my first post in this forum. I'm here for motivation and information. I've never lifted weights before. Honestly, I am really intimidated by the free weight section of my gym. Everybody knows what they are doing and is ripped. I actually belong to a very weight-lifting, body-building focused gym so it's even more intimidating than normal. In the past I have his myself in the corner on the machines but never really saw any big change. I now realize that I won't unless I do something different because I want to be in the sleeveless shirt club too!

philana- you sound like me. Weights never really interest me but I'm not happy with the way I look even at goal weight.

sumire- you look awesome! Those arms are fab.

JossFit- I'm new to this whole thing but those weights sound incredible hardly pathetic.

OK...I'm off to the gym to experiment with the scary section. It's mid day on a Monday so I am hoping everybody is at work so I won't feel so awkward.
fresh15again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #279  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

I hate being a girl sometimes... I did one squat and left the gym today because of TOM. I am so weak and my lower back feels like I'm being punched every 10s. No workout for me today. :-(

Last edited by LovelyAndLosing; 08-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #280  

JossFit: Those numbers don't sound like a problem to me. But I know what you mean; when you feel like you're backsliding, it's a pain...

fresh15again: Welcome and good luck! I bet it won't take you too long to feel comfortable. Most days now I'm swaggering around that floor like I'm one of the boys... Weights didn't interest me much, either, until I got off the machines; hope it's the same for you!

LovelyAndLosing: Boo to TOM! Hope you get back into the swing soon.
---

Had a crazy busy weekend, which meant that I only got 2 days of lifting in last week. I'm sure the tiny break did me some good.

Starting to get impatient with my weight loss-- I'd like to get it over with and get back to bigger/faster strength gains. But I really can't complain. In 6 weeks of dieting (8 total with a 2-week break in the middle), I've lost about 5 pounds. That is straight-up zippy; last summer it took me about 4 or 5 months to lose 7 pounds. I'm eating more than I was then, too, and taking more days off.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #281  

We don't post in here enough. Maybe thats because we're all awesome and are happy with our workouts and have no complaints?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #282  
Leveling Up

Lol Joss!!

I think I am happy with my workouts. I've been planning how I'm going to fit everything I want to in during the school year though. To get to work from the new gym I joined is VERY convenient, so it'll be easy to lift some weights before work and then go. Now to make sure I actually do it! I've also been trying to plan my meals out. I won't have my own classroom this year so I'm hoping nobody I'm going to work with is a food thief.

I went early to the gym one day before some professional development I had last week and I really liked starting my day that way, but I argued with myself all the way there, haha.

In the mirror and with pictures I see muscles popping more. I'm still the same weight so I'm not sure if I've lost fat or not. I took some measurements (finally) and found that except for a half inch increase on my hips, everything is the same as it was five pounds ago....and I know where that half inch went: my booty. I've noticed it is rounder! Pretty sure the muscle went there!

Everything feels tighter though. Fiance even mentioned it; he tried to poke me and said: "you're hard now." Probably explains why I can wear a slightly smaller size, despite the increase on my hips. There's no squishiness to worry about.

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #283  

I actually am quite satisfied with my workouts. Didn't have much to report this week, except I did my first proper pull-up. (Had gotten to close grip overhands recently, but not a wider-grip pull-up.)

Went clothes shopping yesterday (my jeans were too big!). I ended up buying some ridiculous sparkly shirts in the little girls' section. I also noticed that in the dressing room lighting, I can now see the horizontal striations below my first row of abs when I lift my arms over my head. The people outside the dressing room must've thought I was nuts. ("Why does she keep holding her arms over her head so long when she's taking off her shirts??")
Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #284  
Leveling Up

sumire I always take so long in the dressing room because I am admiring my muscles. I walk in with two things and take forever because I am admiring my back or something
Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #285  

I have recently danced in a dressing room. True story.