Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #301  

Height: 5'4

Krampus - Thats fantastic you had a little increase in your weights! Onward and upward... gotta keep progressing to see results! Your picture is awesome, and I LOVE your dress. It's so fun!
As for your protein question, I'm not really sure what the correct answer would be. I've always gone by the rule in terms of POUNDS, so for you I would aim for at least 125g of protein per day. Personally I go for a macronutrient split of 40%P/30%F/30%C so I end up with more like 1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight depending on how many calories I am eating at the time.

LovelyandLosing - Haha, that is an awesome compliment. I'm sure you've been earning it!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #302  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Hey gals, the trip went great! I had a nice time!

I stayed on track with food and exercise, so I'm happy! Didn't have much junk at all because I simply didn't want it

There wasn't a gym at the hotel, but I went jogging on the boardwalk and stopped at benches to do bodyweight exercises. Today I was back in the swing of things and went to the gym before work—I wasn't "off" from lifting long at all but I was already craving a good weights session!

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-28-2012 at 05:38 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #303  
Leveling Up

Hey where is everybody?!

I just need to say that lifting weights has made my professional life easier, . I'm teaching in a new school opening up in September and we're still getting books and supplies. Someone donated a crapload of books and we needed to bring those from outside to the 4th floor of the building. No elevator.

I carried several BIG HEAVY boxes without getting out of breath or breaking a sweat. Everyone else was struggling to make it up and I was running up and down the stairs. In my head I was like: "whhhhaaaattt? I can do this?!"

I feel kind of guilty that I skipped my evening spin class yesterday, but I had my morning weights session and then the manual labor, and considering I hardly break a sweat in that spin class anymore, I decided to go home and have a small quiet dinner to myself (everyone was out, it was nice to have a quiet house!)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #304  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Still here! Nothing that exciting. Switched from twice to 3x/week for upper body with more sets and more variety and heavier weights. I got 20 day passes to Gold's Gym (fancy!) for $20 on Groupon so I'm excited to try those out.

Need to work on grip strength - I'm thinking I'll dangle from my home pull-up bar and do farmer's walks and keep doing swings with the 35 lb kettlebell at the gym.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #305  

I'm here, I'm here!

Not a whole lot of new things to report for me either. Yesterday was my 5x5x5 day and I'm sore! It's a good sore, but definitely DOMS like a mother F! Today was cardio... and tomorrow I have my 2-a-day of weights and then CrossFit with a break in between to cram food in my face.

This weekend I'm going to see my husband and in addition to CrossFit WODs Friday and Saturday, we'll be walking around the State Fair, staying pretty busy in general, and doing the Incline and Barr Trail on Sunday for cardio. It's a beast! This is a picture of it;

That "Incline" takes about 45 minutes to conquer at a brisk pace, and is basically just doing walking lunges all the way up. Then, we take a 3-ish mile trail back down, usually running at least half of it. I figure the whole trek burns about 800-1000 calories depending on your weight/height.

Hopefully all that activity and my resolve to only eat natural foods will curtail the usual couple pounds of post-vacation weight gain.

(Oh, and this picture was before my husband proposed to me, at the top. )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sontaikle - Yay, so glad the trip went well! I totally know what you mean about lifting weights making life easier. Sure, I train for looks but I also train for functional strength, and it definitely works!

Krampus - Getting up to 35lb KB swings is pretty good! I hope that doesn't sound condescending at all, but seriously, nice work. I'm proud of you! I love when women actually PUSH themselves and try to lift progressively heavier. Thats the POINT, right?!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #306  
Staying the Same

Weights this morning. I came home and checked myself out in the mirror and loved how beefy my shoulders and upper body are getting. Still have lots of wiggly area around the belly, but that's what happens and it's getting less so.

n00b question. Say you only have 20 minutes before work in the morning and you have fuel left in the tank. Is there any "negative" repercussion for lifting in the afternoon? I feel silly even posting that, hehe.

JossFit Not condescending AT ALL, I still consider myself very much an ignoramus in the gym! Honestly I don't see the point of lifting if not to progress to heavier weights - I'd get so bored! I hope you have a great time this weekend; what an amazing place to be proposed to!!!

sontaikle Quiet dinners alone are oh-so-valuable. I don't know if this stems from previous unhealthy habits or what, but I love nothing more than having a meal alone without distraction! So glad you're running circles around everyone else at work!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #307  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Been about the same old here. Like sontaikle, I recently put my strength to good use helping someone move out of his apartment. He was skeptical about my help because I'm female (ha!), but I worked like a fiend. Packed an insane amount of work into 16 hours worth of organizing, cleaning, lugging, etc. It's great to be strong and fit!

I know this is a lifting thread, but since this is my main home these days, I'll mention that I'm back to some running these last couple of weeks. I never make myself run if I don't feel like it, so I go through little jags like this. The upshot, of course, is that I always enjoy my running! I've been doing 1-milers with half a mile of walking between (usually 3 1-milers per run, 3x per week); I decided I wanted to see how fast I could get my mile times. I've always been an abysmally slow runner, so I was proud when I managed 8:57 a week ago (my previous best was 9:29... in 5th grade, haha). Well, today I did one in 7:47! (Ain't going to impress anyone here, I know, but I'm proud of myself.) And deadlifting day was yesterday. Beginner's gains are the best, both at lifting & running...

Getting nice and lean these days. Cracked below 120 pounds. Amazing how effortless it seems now, and how much I'm still eating. Stopping at 115 or sooner, then re-building!

Jossfit, krampus, sontaikle: Keep being awesome.

Last edited by sumire; 08-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #308  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi guys. I miss you!!!

My computer broke and I'm still in the midst of moving and visiting all my family for the last time before I leave the mainland. Been CRAZY. My scale is broken too... but I have a feeling I'm down a few more lbs. I used to stress eat. Now I stress starve. Bla... It's not pleasant either. I'll feel better after I am on the plane and it's totally out of my hands, in a couple days!!

I did have an AMAZING trip up to Utah. Lots of running around and ziplining and fun stuff like that. It was cool to play like a kid and not worry about my size getting in the way *at all*. That still feels kind of new to me.

I haven't been in the gym as much as I'd like the last few weeks... but I've been lifting my luggage and my kids at home. Whatever works, right? My 4 year old thinks it's hilarious to be bench pressed .

Anyway - Hope you're having a great summer!!!!!! I'll be back in a few weeks once I can get my hands on a new computer.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #309  

Val - I've been wondering where you were! I'm sorry about your computer!

-- Just a quick check-in, as I'm out with my hunny on vacation -- I did ring dips at the gym yesterday! Whoot! My husband says he's only seen one other person jump up there the first time and do dips like that. Nice.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #310  
Staying the Same

Hit up Gold's Gym today to use my Groupon after running 3 miles outside with my boyfriend in the morning (28:13 - not winning any races here). What a confusing maze of weird isolation machines! I did my usual and threw a bunch of extras in - situps with a dumbbell (I used 20 lb but I could probably handle more easily!), KB swings with the 20kg KB (heavy but doable), tried some of those "renegade rows" that JossFit and sumire have mentioned - how do you keep them from rolling over when you put them down?!

ValRock So glad to hear from you, if only to say you're busy. Hang in there and don't forget to eat!

JossFit Ring dips are IMPRESSIVE! I can barely do tricep dips...I have to do slow-mo "negatives" and I shake like crazy.

sumire Nice work on your times! You're getting SUPER lean - how much are you eating these days?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #311  
Leveling Up

Hey everyone! Still lifting! I took today off for labor day since the gym was closed and my other gym was only open for three hours in the later morning hours. Well I was "off" but I did my lifting yesterday instead...haha

It's really nice to be sore from workouts you design yourself! This morning I could barely get out of bed! I'm not so sore now; the walking around I did all day at the mall helped loosen me up

Been noticing more muscles popping lately and seeing more ab definition. I think that my loose skin is shrinking ever so slowly. Pants are also a little looser despite still hovering around 110 point something and 112.

Stayed within my calories, but between yesterday and today I think I had my fill of grilled meat for a while. Yay protein!

JossFit - You look great! I would love to go on that hike

krampus - Yay beefy arms! I also don't think it matters WHEN you lift so much as to whether or not you actually do it! I have one lifting day in the evening and two in the mornings and I've been doing great like that.

sumire - Also looking great! I love how lifting makes it easy to run, haha.

ValRock - glad to see you back, even just to check in! Good luck with everything!

Last edited by sontaikle; 09-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #312  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I've been hobbled by a cold! Taking some time off from working out. I've been running myself ragged lately both during & outside of my workouts, so it's not terribly surprising that I got sick. I'm rarely ill, so I think this is my body telling me that I'm pushing it too much these days. I think more rest & more calories are in order.

ValRock: We've missed you too. Glad you had a good vacation & hope life settles down soon. Keep lifting those kids!

JossFit: Ring dips are SUPER badass.

krampus: You are obviously continuing to KILL IT. I do my rows slowly & deliberately when I'm doing renegade rows; if I don't put the dumbbells down carefully, they do have a tendency to roll. As for calories, when I'm perfectly on plan these days (which is rarely - my friends like to eat out often, and I've been taking a lot of intentional diet breaks), I'm eating about 1500 on non-workout days (which are also rare now, haha) & 1800 on workout days. I drop about a pound a week at this calorie level.

sontaikle: It is fun to design your own workouts! I hate being told what to do. Lifting does definitely make running easier; I think it's the improvement in core strength more than anything else that has done it for me.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #313  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Sorry that I haven't been checking in guys! Work was crazy last week so I didn't get to lift, though I did do Zumba a twice. I'm too nervous about being sore for Saturday's Tough Mudder to lift this week. But I've been walking 6-10 miles each day and reading The Primal Blueprint. I'm giving the whole Paleo thing a try. I've limited grains for a while now anyways, and my ex dropped 30lbs (then gained 15 in muscle) doing Paleo a year and a half ago. I'm excited!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #314  

Krampus - Looks like you're really doing some new stuff and shaking things up... nice work! The dumbbells I use aren't rounded off, so they are nice and stable to use for renegade rows. They look like this;

Sontaikle - Thank you so much! That picture was actually from the last time I was out in Colorado and did the incline about a year ago. This picture is from our hike on Sunday;

I feel ya on being sore... I have a love/hate relationship with it. Today I am crazy sore from Sunday's hike and then spending all day Monday sitting on airplanes. Not cool! I did manage to conquer that beast in about 35 minutes though, which is a damn good time. Last year I did it in 45 minutes and definitely wasn't a slouch in the fitness department. I anihilated my husband.
That's fantastic that you're seeing some more definition in your midsection! Whoot!

Sumire - Oh goodness, I hope you get over your cold soon! Rest and a bit of additional calories will definitely help out with that. I too have trouble resting as much as I should at times. Fortunately I am traveling a bit more this month so there are a few days that, due to early flights and such, I am FORCED to take a day off from working out. I hate it, but I know it's necessary.

LovelyAndLosing - Have you by chance read into any of Gary Taubes' writing? I recently picked up a copy of 'Why We Get Fat' and it was REALLY interesting, especially for someone like me who generally agrees with Paleo/Primal styles of eating. I find that I process carbs just fine and have no need or desire to cut all grains, dairy and legumes from my diet... but I do like to keep them moderate. Anyway, the book is great and I highly recommend it. It isn't a diet plan, but rather an alternative explaination of how our bodies process carbohydrates and particularly those that are super processed and fast digesting.
Seriously, check it out... you might find that Paleo isn't exactly necessary based on the science of how your body actually works, but that the principals are sound (and you can save yourself the "Would Grok eat this" cultish feel).
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #315  
Staying the Same

JossFit Those were the ones I was using. I guess I should just use REALLY HEAVY ones eh (I wasn't sure which to use so I went with 20-25, can't remember which)? My bent-over row is 45-50 right now and I don't think I could do that much with renegade rows. Congrats on the 10 minutes shaved off your time!!!

Last edited by krampus; 09-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.