Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #316  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Super super busy with school just starting up! I'm determined to keep lifting though! Woke up at 4:45 to get to the gym and I'm feeling great still AND felt great throughout the day working with the kids. I love starting my day this way
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #317  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

My students keep feeling my arms muscles. They come up to me and squeeze my arms. It's funny.

I need strength to get up early again tomorrow...but I can do it! I'm posting here to stay accountable and get my @$$ to the gym!!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #318  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

sontaikle: Of course they're going to squeeze your rockin' arms! Good job getting yourself up & going and fitting in that weight lifting. You remain an inspiration!

JossFit: Nice, bear crawls! I haven't thought about those since elementary school! Keep up the good work, as always.
---

Don't really have anything to report here, same old thing. Still lifting, also ran 10K three times this week-- slow as ****, sigh.

I keep telling myself I'll commit to getting a few more pounds off, and then immediately canning it for one reason or another. I may just go into maintenance mode again for a while. We'll see.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #319  

Height: 5'4

Hey lifters, checking in here!

I've been really working on lifting heavy while eating a lot more (not always On Plan... but yeah, that's another story) but am now transitioning back to more metabolic conditioning. I signed up for a Tough Mudder in 6 weeks so I've got to be able to do a lot more running and stuff.

My focus is going to be on adding more sprints, plyometrics, CrossFit training and pullups to my routine. Nothing dramatic, but I just have to keep those things in mind.

-------------------------------------------------

Sumire - Any updates on what you've decided RE: maintenance?

Sontaikle - LOL, I hope you went! For me, getting to the gym is NEVER an issue... but sticking to my diet can be. I figure if I eat too much at least I get some use out of it by hitting some heavy lifts.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #320  

JossFit: Have fun training for your Tough Mudder! I'd hate to be one of the poor souls who has to compete against your awesome self. They never stood a chance!

I have decided that at least for the immediate future, I'm going to maintain here (weight averaging around 120 these days). There's a lot of stress going on in my life, and I feel like trying to lose more weight is sapping some of my energy. And my performance at the gym hasn't shown much improvement since June, which is bumming me out.

So, more food, and a slightly more focused plan for my lifting and my running. Some muscle building would be nice, but right now I want to remove the obsessive focus on my body and its tiny flaws. I would like to see some performance gains (stronger, faster!), but I would also like to be realistic about those and to appreciate all of the little gains that come slowly over time.

So, new goals: focus, rest, attitude of gratitude.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 123/116/114 (or 110?)

dear fellow featherweights, this seems to be just the right thread to get some encouragement....

after having done cardio for a few weeks now, fitness improving and weight dropping nicely, I decided to start lifting in order to support my joints and other structures adequately. I felt the need for that for two reasons:
1. I picked up running and know from unpleasant experiences in the past that my knees need to be looked after properly.
2. after a year of school I'm back at work at the hospital. My back is yearning for some more strength.

Oh well, I had an appointment with a trainer to show me the basics and it was so disheartening to realize how incredibly weak I am. He said he'd "go easy on the weights".... yeah, right. I felt horrible and laughed it away but to be honest, I could have cried and I wanted to get out of there ASAP. He said it'd take me some time to figure out the ideal weights but he put on too much on every machine but one. that didn't help much.

I'd very much like to start lifting but I'll need a good kick up my backside to go back to those evil machines.
binge n yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #322  

binge n yoyo - The only way you'll get stronger is to go back and keep lifting! Don't let that experience deter you... let it empower you and motivate you.

Sumire - I have no grand delusions about how I'll perform during the Tough Mudder; I'm going to suck. It's 12 miles of running (which I can maybe do half of) and obstacles involving heights, fire, and electrocution. I am afraid of heights and the other two sound crappy! I just want to finish within a few hours.

I like your "attitude of gratitude" motto very much. I wish I were better about maintaining, but I find myself in constant cycles of wanting to add more muscle and then cut down again. It's exhausting! Maybe on my next trip overseas I can do that... it's easier with no scales, no cute clothes, and no internet forums to influence me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting bored with these CrossFit classes I attend with my unit. They are all so similar! Today was 4 rounds of 5 cleans, 10 pullups, 15 pushups, 20 squats and then a 400m run. After that we did abs.

I CRUSHED the next best time by a full two minutes. Meh.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #323  

Oh, and on a whim the other day, I decided to try to do this (successful... and easy at that)

Little NSV!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello feather lifters!

I haven't been around for a while, but I'm back again. I've gotten a bit squishy after having to take 6 weeks off from NROL4W to train a Half Marathon. I can't wait to get back into lifting now, running is fun but will never replace lifting in my heart.

I'm glad to see a few faces I remember such as sontaikle and sumire. You girls are so far ahead of me now!

I can't promise to be a regular poster but I'm going to try
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #325  

binge n yoyo: I've told this story before, but the first time I went to lift in the gym, I tried to do 10 pounds on the chest fly machine. Couldn't budge it. I had to take the pin out and do the machine at 0 pounds, using just the weight of the apparatus. I was so embarrassed! But I didn't let that stop me, and here I am a couple of years later, much stronger and much much smaller! Keep at it.

JossFit: Ok, fair enough on the Tough Mudder... but I bet you still ain't gonna be back of the pack. Nice job on the yoga pose. I tried that one a long time ago and found it hard-- wonder if I could do it now.

fromthebox: Welcome back! A half marathon is awesome, hope you had fun doing it! Good luck getting back into the lifting-- a bit of time away makes it all the sweeter.
------
I took 3 days off from exercise because I was feeling so beaten up. Started fresh yesterday. I'm continuing the push/pull split I've been doing, but with a more varied rep scheme (1st 3 weeks 4x10, then 3 weeks of 4x6, then 4x8, then 4x4). I've been doing low volume higher weight while I've been cutting (3x5 mostly, sometimes even 2x5). Four sets of ten reps yesterday was an ego killer! It was a really tough workout, but I enjoyed it.

I went for a run later in the evening yesterday. Forced myself to keep it to 3 miles. I need to restart at lower mileage and build up slowly. It's hard when you're already relatively fit-- my lungs & leg muscles are ready to go, but I know I need to take it slower so my joints/etc get used to the pounding. Last week I ended up doing 21 miles total after only being back to running for a month, and that was not a great idea-- aches and pains all over the place.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #326  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi all,

My overhead press is SO weak...25 lbs plus the bar (a skinny barbell, not Olympic bar), but I moved up to 50 lb for bent-over DB rows which feels like a huge accomplishment.

sumire It's really hard not to overdo it when you know you are physically capable of pushing yourself. How did the 3 day break work for you? You're a machine.

JossFit You sound like you've outgrown your Xfit class...two minutes ahead of the second best, huh? CONGRATS on hitting that crazy yoga pose...I definitely don't have that in me yet (maybe I will someday).

fromthebox Woooo half marathon is awesome! Did you already run it? I like lifting a bit better than running too, though both have their place. I don't get how anyone does ultramarathons without boring themselves to tears.

binge n yoyo ugh I know how it feels when you start out and can't do anything...but the progress is exponential and you'll improve every single time you lift!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #327  

S/C/G: 123/116/114 (or 110?)

Thank you so much for the support! I'll go back and get stronger!
binge n yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #328  

krampus: My overhead press is lame. Hoping I'll make some progress there soon. A 50 lb dumbbell row is super awesome! My 3-day break was much needed. I've been feeling much less machine-like the last month or so. The little break plus lots more food is working out well already.

binge n yoyo: Go you!

Good sweaty lifting workout today. I didn't have the stamina problem that I did a couple of days ago. More food = more awesome. My legs are still crazy sore from the barbell split squats I did 2 days ago.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #329  

New PR on my deadlifts today... whoot!

My dang foot is doing something weird though; running seems to make the top of my left foot swell up a bit. It's not painful, except that my shoes/boots put pressure on it. Amazingly, I managed to snag a doctor's appointment for tomorrow afternoon to have it looked at.

Military doctors though. *sigh* They'll probably just tell me to rest it and take some Motrin and won't actually have a clue what the problem with it is.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #330  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Congrats on PR JossFit! I hope you figure out what's going on with your foot. My knee feels borked - not the knee so much as something interior. Yuck.

sumire More food = more awesome indeed. I often feel conflicted about deficit calories + getting "good enough" workouts.

Kicked my own behind with renegade rows today. I want to do MORE already!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote