Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #286  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I think I'm looking good lately. Been adding lots of body weight exercises inbetween the lifting:

Most of all I don't look freaking gaunt anymore!!! I think I'm looking better than a few months ago:

Thought I was 115 at the time, but I was probably closer to 107. I'm fluctuating between 111 and 112 now. Also where are those shorts I'm wearing? I need to find them again!

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #287  

S/C/G: 172/161/132

Height: 5'3

Sontaikle,

You look awesome! You look very healthy and happy!

You are an inspiration to me, I look forward to reaching my goal weight of 110-115. I am at 127 right now and the scale is going down sloooowly.... I took your advice and I increased the gym time I allocate to weightlifting. The scale is hardly moving, but I can see some improvements in my appearance. Anyway, I hope I look half as good as you look in your pictures. Also, your hair is so beautiful.

D.
dani13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Looking GREAT Sontaikle!

Did a lower body workout before Zumba on Friday ... 390lbs on the leg press (plus whatever the machine weighs). I love being strong! Less than one month until my Tough Mudder!

Last edited by LovelyAndLosing; 08-13-2012 at 12:42 PM.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #289  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Smokin' hot, sontaikle! For what it's worth, you don't look at all gaunt or unhealthy to me in the lower picture.

My gym is closed this week, so it's at-home workouts (bodyweight stuff, plus I have dumbbells up to 25 pounds). Today was pistol squats, step-ups, band-assisted parallel grip pullups and regular pullups, decline pushups, overhead presses, renegade rows, and 1-arm dumbbell rows (for high reps since I only have 25-ers ).
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #290  

Height: 5'4

Sontaikle - Whoot whoot, you look great lady! I love your yellow shorts... they're so bright and cheerful! I have a cute pair of pink denim shorts that I just love and have been wearing a lot this summer. Can't beat some gym-sculpted legs in a cute pair of cutoffs!

LovelyandLosing - Where are you doing the Tough Mudder at?

So, I don't know if any of you have seen my posts regarding my recent shave biopsy I had on my leg, but if you haven't I posted some pictures a while back in the August Feather's Chat thread. It's pretty gnarly.
It's healing slowly but surely, but it's at a stage right now where it itches like **** and is a bit, um... gooey? It's not cute, but I have to keep it bandaged at all times so normally it's no big deal.
I noticed today at the gym though that the wound started weeping through the bandage! Gross! LOL I switched to thinner bandages now that it's healing a bit, but I didn't think about the ick factor of me wearing shorts at the gym and having people see it.
It was a little embarassing and I hope nobody noticed, but I didn't stop my workout because of it or anything. That's just crazy talk.

Last edited by JossFit; 08-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #291  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
...My gym is closed this week, so it's at-home workouts (bodyweight stuff, plus I have dumbbells up to 25 pounds). Today was pistol squats, step-ups, band-assisted parallel grip pullups and regular pullups, decline pushups, overhead presses, renegade rows, and 1-arm dumbbell rows (for high reps since I only have 25-ers ).
I'm going on a business trip in a few weeks and the hotel gym only has some cardio equipment and some dumbbells... pretty standard for a hotel I suppose. I'm going to try to find a 24-hour fitness or another gym where I can buy a day-pass but if I'm stuck at the hotel gym I'll be in the same boat.
I'm just going to have to come up with some creative workouts to challenge myself!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #292  

Jossfit ... its in Frederick, MD I believe? It is the Mid-Atlantic one. Funny that I don't know exactly where but I live in DC with no car - I won't be the one driving! Why, are you planning to do one?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #293  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyAndLosing View Post
Jossfit ... its in Frederick, MD I believe? It is the Mid-Atlantic one. Funny that I don't know exactly where but I live in DC with no car - I won't be the one driving! Why, are you planning to do one?

They seem to have them all over the place. There is one coming up in NC (where I am) sometime in October, but I don't know the exact date. I'll have to look though because I might want to sign up for it!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #294  

I am irritated.

It's Wednesday, so as per usual I went to the gym to lift a bit (focusing on smaller muscle groups) and leaving some gas in the tank because I have CrossFit on Wednesday mornings as well. Usually I focus on bis, tris and work in allover exercises that aren't "staples" of my routines (examples of staples being deadlifts, squats, military press, etc.)

So I got to CrossFit and the WOD sounded promising; 4 rounds of 10 hang-cleans, 15 toes to bar, 20 pushups, 25 squats and then a 400m sprint. Okay... cool.

Well they made us partner up! Since none of the other females can keep up with me they put them all together in a group, partnered up all of the men except one, and left me the skinny little sickly looking guy who looks like a cat sh!tting razorblades trying to do a bodyweight squat. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy and I like him a lot, but he's MILES behind me in every way physically. Even on the runs he was shuffling along at a snail's pace.

The basic idea was that one partner started with cleans and the other started with squats, and when you were both done with all 4 exercises you do the 400m run together before starting on the next round.

I ended up standing around coaching him through his cleans and pushups every single round, and totally lost out on the intensity that a METCON is supposed to produce. It wasn't a wasted workout, but close. Had I known it would be in no way challenging for me I would have pushed harder at the gym this morning before I went.

What I could have done in probably 14 minutes I ended up doing in 22. Blah.

Last edited by JossFit; 08-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #295  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That's ANNOYING, JossFit. And insulting to you! You shouldn't get punished for being the strongest woman by getting stuck with the weakest man. That isn't how it works!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #296  

It definitely wasn't an intentional punishment. I actually think the instructors were trying to do me a favor by not teaming me up with the other females (none of them knew how to do hang cleans and opted to do light kettlebell swings instead)... but it did hamper my workout for sure.

My partner tried hard, I'll give him that. My frustration is just that it was a wasted workout. In retrospect I should have just asked if I could do it alone but that would have been rude to ask in front of my partner.

I don't get to attend next week because of a work conflict, so hopefully the following week I get a good session!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #297  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Monday I lifted and then took two spinning classes, rested Tuesday because I went to my grandma's house and went to a buffet where I had my fill of crab legs and today I took a spin/step class and then a weight training class in the evening.

I did inner thigh squats at 70lbs for 300 times (3 sets of 100). Everyone else was doing half that. At least I know I can go A LOT higher on those if I can do that many!! I would go higher, but during the class there simply aren't enough weights to go around with everyone there. That's why I do more of my heavy stuff on Monday and Friday. My legs are like jelly right now though.

My fiancé has been coming to my weight training class with me (he couldn't today, unfortunately) so it's been nice working out with him It's also funny that I can lift more than him!! Lol!!

I'm going away for a couple of days starting tomorrow, so I might be scarce Thursday is a rest day usually anyway and I'm going to figure something out for Friday and Saturday, even if I have no gym. I know that I will be doing a lot of walking, so I'm not all that worried, but I know several bodyweight routines I can do too.

Plus I've trimmed a few hundred calls off each day for the past few days (and thus, weighed in today at 110.4) so I've got a bit of a buffer to indulge if I want to My fiancé is totally on board with my plans: we're bringing a carton of eggs (the hotel room has a fridge and a microwave) and my microwaveable egg poacher thing. I think I'll grab a jar of red peppers too so I can have with my eggs in the morning and I'm throwing some Quest bars and pistachios in my bag as well.

dani13 - thanks! I think not stressing about "the last 10 pounds" really helped me out though…mainly because I never knew I had 10 more lbs to lose! I just did my thing and the pounds came off.

LovelyAndLosing - thanks! Great leg press!!

sumire - Thank you I've got to pick out some bodyweight stuff to do too, since I'll be away on both of the days I usually alternate to get my third lifting day in. I'll see if they have a gym there, but I'm thinking they don't (fiancé made the reservation).

JossFit - thanks! I LOVE colored shorts too. I had to talk myself out of buying so many of them since they're on clearance now, LOL. That's so annoying about CrossFit I know how you feel though, I've had a couple of workouts where everyone convinced the instructor to "go easy" and it really PISSED ME OFF. One instructor used to do CrossFit style workouts outside with us, but people freaking chickened out and the owner told her to stop. I'm really annoyed about that because I looked forward to her class (I still do, but it was much better when she was taking us outside and doing all of this crazy stuff).

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-15-2012 at 10:10 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #298  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
...That's so annoying about CrossFit I know how you feel though, I've had a couple of workouts where everyone convinced the instructor to "go easy" and it really PISSED ME OFF. One instructor used to do CrossFit style workouts outside with us, but people freaking chickened out and the owner told her to stop. I'm really annoyed about that because I looked forward to her class (I still do, but it was much better when she was taking us outside and doing all of this crazy stuff).
It's supposed to be hard! Gah!

Are you back from your trip yet? How'd you do staying OP?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a lot to report with my workouts the last few days. The gym that I go to for my Saturday workout was closed this week, so I hit my regular gym. (I'm military and my base has like 15 gyms/fitness centers to choose from, but I prefer to use "our" gym on the area of the base I work. ) On Saturday's I hit the Kettlebells pretty hard, and we don't have them at my gym, so I go to a bigger one.
Anyway, had to skip them this weekend AND I'm working off base this week so I'm missing CrossFit on Wednesday as well. It's not a huge deal, but those are the two most fun workouts I do during the week so I'm a little sad to have to do my own thing.

A few weeks ago I started making Mondays my heavy 5x5 workout day where I really drop the reps and go for max weight in order to keep myself from backsliding on strength from doing all the CrossFit and "JossFit" style METCONS... so that'll be tomorrow. I'm hoping I can add like 5 lbs to each lift from last week.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #299  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Had a great gym session today. I've moved up in all my weights after feeling "stuck" for a while. I am really starting to either look more defined or at least think I look better, haven't taken measurements in a while but I'm pleased with my arm/shoulder/back progress. STILL hiding from the squat rack. Any day now.

This is a stupid photo, but yeah! It's nice to wear ridiculous dresses and feel confident in them.

I have a really stupid protein question - I've read all the sources saying to eat your body weight in pounds in protein on lifting days. From your experience, am I doing myself a disservice by eating approximately my body weight in kilograms? I guess I could cut out some fats and drink protein shakes but they all taste like sh!t and I'm not a huge meat person.

JossFit I'm sure you've still "got it" as far as those max-lift 5x5 days go.

sontaikle Hope your trip is going well! It's nice to have a few options to eat your own food away instead of having to survive on protein bars and dubious restaurant food.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #300  

I'm loving the trainers at my gym. This morning, one said "You look just like Wonder Woman. You know, the cartoon version with all the muscles."

Best compliment EVER? http://www.geekscape.net/how-dc-comi...derwoman_large