Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm256 View Post
stella: Congrats on your 5k! I think it would take me about that time to complete one too

Emma: Wow, that is one big life change. I think waiting a week is a good idea--there's so much stress in moving!

As for me, I was 127.0 again, but instead of using my bathroom scale I confronted the Wii Fit. Usually it tells me I'm a half pound or even a full higher than the scale, but today not even the snarky little cartoon board could say anything against me
TKM....I weigh every Tues. on the Wii Fit and have been doing so for over a year. I love looking back at my graph to see the weight going down down down over the past year!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Kellost! Now I just have to wait for all of this effort to show up on the scale A couple of weeks ago I showed a 1.4 lb. gain, and then I lost 5 lbs. over the following two weeks. I'm really hoping I'll see the same thing this time around.

I avoid the Wii Fit weigh-in because it told me I was obese when I had a 32" waist! BMI is just not a good indicator for my body type, lol.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #258  
Grandma on the Go!

S/C/G: 143/127/125

Good Morning Feathers.

I still hanging in at 127 for 4 days now - so I felt it safe to let the chicken move.

Emma - Good to have you back with us. I still don't have the eating away from home down pat yet. I do think that I am getting better about not letting one bad choice push me into the land of overeating. I will be gone for about 2 weeks in June and I am concerned about that.

Yesterday I made the trip across town to the Whole Foods store - it was like being in another world. I am trying to add all the super foods to my eating plan -but all I ending up buying was pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and granola.
Now I need to learn how to add tofu to my meals.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Hey Danni--we seem to be moving at the same pace!

Whole Foods...when I lived in California it was a monthly treat for my family to drive up to Irvine with all the chic, rich, thin people and buy fancy hummus and green tea ice cream in bulk. La sigh. Those were the days. (a) My only options now are Kroger and little local places and (b) I didn't have to pay for that fancy hummus

And tofu is one of my favorites! I don't do anything fancy, like use it as a meat substitute or pulverize it for desserts, but I like to make stir fries, add cubes to pasta salads and bowls of noodles, or marinate and bake thin blocks for "TLT Sandwiches". Here's the recipe from Eating Well: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tl..._sandwich.html.

Last edited by tkm256; 03-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #260  
Grandma on the Go!

tkm - yes we seem to be on the same track.

Here is a bit of luck to both of staying clean this week.

Thanks for the info on tofu - I'ave wanted to try it for a long time.

I tried some hummus once and did not like it. But I keep reading so much about it. Maybe I tried the wrong kind - any suggestions?

My new favorite find is Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges.

I am also promising myself to get to more green tea and water - haven't conquered that goal yet.

Last edited by danni; 03-30-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #261  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

shasha - couldn't agree more! The only way I seem to be able to pull through a hangover is McDonalds breakfast! Hope you're feeling better!

stella - way to go on the NSV!!!

Emma - moves are hard! I do almost the same supplements as you - calcium + D, omega supplement (mostly fish oil), and a multi vitamin.

tkm - great that the Wii Fit is cooperating, too!

kellost - no walking breaks is tough! I do an hour on the mill every night, but I do intervals of run and walk. If I didn't have that walk in there, I don't think I could do it.

danni - I love browsing in Whole Foods, but it's so easy to walk out spending three times as much as I meant to! I personally don't care for plain hummus, I think it's a little boring. Have you ever tried the garlic or roasted red pepper varieties? Much tastier! I love Laughing Cow, too. They're great on an apple for a snack.

As for me, I'm ready for the weekend and it's only Tuesday! Not good!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #262  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

This morning, instead of watching youtube before work, I did Ab Ripper X (part of the p90x program). It's only 16 minutes, but 16 min well spent.

Later tonight, I will do more exercise!

I woke up and was 123.2, even having eaten pizza at 8 PM last night, so I'm hoping to see some kind of loss by the end of the week (if I make good food choices).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #263  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi all, just popping in as I avoid some work...

Stella - That's about the same time I ran my 5Ks (treadmill) in! Felt fast to me!! But yeah, I did want to get my speed up, so I had started doing the Couch to 5K intervals again from the beginning, running at 6 mph. I basically never got past Week 1 at that speed, but that was OK by me - it was quite a workout anyway. Gotta get back in the running mode.

Re: Tofu. I just had it yesterday, pan-grilled with a spray of olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Not bad, but it is waaay better if you take the time to marinate it before. I often do it by pressing out the water from the block of tofu (can explain more that process if you want), slicing it in strips or cubes or slices, then putting it in a storage dish in a marinating liquid - I usually base mine on soy sauce + water to fill the container, adding crushed garlic, ground black pepper, minced ginger, a splash of sesame oil, hot sauce, whatever... this seeps into the tofu and makes it much tastier. Then you can pan fry it or bake it. mmmmmm

Re: SuperFoods! Love it. It pretty much works with any plan. I've done it with calorie-counting and with South Beach and with my own pieced-together plan (I don't eat chicken/turkey, so I substitute eggs for that). It's my opinion that if you base your day around trying to get one of each of the 14 SuperFoods in each day, you have very little room in your diet (or desire) to eat non-healthy foods. It has REALLY helped me make better choices... like if I'm hungry -- I check the list to see what I haven't eaten yet that day (if I didn't plan ahead) ... then I will choose Greek yogurt with walnuts or berries, or an orange or kiwi with a square of dark chocolate, etc, instead of whatever crap I would have gone for otherwise. That's just me though! I need all the help I can get to make good choices

Re: Hummus. Check out this blog, 101 Cookbooks, she has a some interesting hummus recipes (and here and here) maybe one will be different enough that you'll like it, Danni. I use an old Moosewood Cookbook recipe. I love to add roasted red pepper and/or roasted garlic!

OK, chicks, I've managed to avoid my work long enough... back to work
Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #264  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni View Post
tkm -

I tried some hummus once and did not like it. But I keep reading so much about it. Maybe I tried the wrong kind - any suggestions?

My new favorite find is Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges.

I am also promising myself to get to more green tea and water - haven't conquered that goal yet.
Homous rocks - roasted red pepper is the best

I'm a huge fan of green tea and laughing cow light cheese so I reckon your palate could become a convert to homous too; it's just the best!

Last edited by Doughnut; 03-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #265  
Ilene the Bean

Stella -- saw your post on your NSV 5k and that is great time I just started, STARTED to run a 5k in less than 40 minutes. Ever since I got my Garmin watch for Christmas and push myself more each time I went out did I start to improve... Now next time run at 4.3mph and your time will improve... Do you ever run outside? I much much prefer to run outdoors... I rarely do cardio at the gym anymore...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #266  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Vitamin D

Thought this was interesting enough to share:

According to FitDay, today I had ~1400 calories (including 12 SuperFoods), Carb:Fat:Protein ratio of 39:31:30 (pretty close to the 40:30:30 I am aiming for - just happens that way, I'm not consciously tweaking things to get these numbers), low saturated fat, nearly 35 grams of fiber.

By almost any measure, a pretty healthy food day.

I hit more than 100% of the US Recommended Daily Allowance for everything (except a few micronutrients where I was still pretty close).

But Vitamin D. A big fat 0%. Unbelievable. And no, I didn't get out in the sun today.

I'm going to take my supplement right now!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #267  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Ilene, I only run outside--we don't have room for a treadmill here at the house and I just joined a gym this week. It does make it a little harder to exactly judge my speed while running! Normally I run around a little walking path that goes around a fountain and pond in the center of our subdvision. It's almost exactly 1/4 of a mile, so I can check myself each lap and see how my pace is.

I did my first 5K on a trail near our condo--it's just gorgeous with woods on one side and farmland on the other, and it was a perfect, sunny day. It really was a perfect run I even had a friend with me who is a good bit heavier than me and I talked her into walking the whole 3 mi., which she did! We're hitting the trail again Saturday.

My dad is a pretty serious runner--he recommended I do a 3.5 mi. run once a week, and do 2 mi. runs with intervals on my other two days to get up my speed. I think I'm going to try that for a while and see how it goes.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #268  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I haven't posted for a couple of days. That's weird!

I'm doing good. Exercise and food.

I posted a query about doing a month of Primal Blueprint in April and got a few takers. Now, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to get baseline measurements and weight either tomorrow or Thursday, which will serve two purposes. Starting marks for April and a summary of how March went.

Anybody else got some goals and/or schemes for April?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #269  
Grandma on the Go!

Emma and Doughnut - thanks for the info. I love to find new food to add to my list.

Had a 1/2 gain this morning. Too much of even the good food is not good.

Thursday DH and I are driving over to the next town for the day - so we will be eating out. This is a chance to see if I can practice wise choices and portion control.

Last edited by danni; 03-31-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #270  

S/C/G: 185/161/148

Height: 5'5"

phhhhhhhht......slinking in, head down.....had emotional upsets yesterday and responded accordingly.....up THREE pounds.

There, confessed. Now back on the horse.

But seriously---stay meticulously on plan for one week, lose one pound. Overindulge and fail to exercise one day, gain three pounds. What a drag.
Closed Thread