Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #451  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Looks like I'm talking to myself these days. I have such good news and no one to share it with. Finished up the day yesterday with no Glimiperide at all. This morning, fasting blood sugar was 112. I am just so amazed. My weight is up a bit 1.5 lb. but I did not eat carbs. It's possible that the salad I had last night had some hidden carbs, but I had no bread, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. Not even in my radar. Or it could be water retention from seasoning, or from the Motrin I took for back pain overnight. I'm not concerned. I'm just so happy that my blood sugar is so good. I can't wait to get my next A1c. The coffee creamer I use has 2 gm of carb per tsp. I have looked around for something with fewer carbs, and tried Almond Milk. Yuk. Sometimes I drink my coffee black. I finally decided to continue with my favorite creamer since it has not affected my blood sugar so far. I am not an all-day coffee drinker. Just a few cups in the morning.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-04-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #452  

Keep talking. ha
Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #453  

S/C/G: 272/270/150

Height: 5'7"

Great news, Carol Sue! Looks like I'll be joining you here, so keep talking! I'll listen

I just got the dreaded news today. Full blown diabetic. I don't even know what that truly means for me yet - my doctor was talking at me and my mind had switched off. I am so devastated. It's been hours since I returned from the doctor and I am having such a hard time processing this.

I just recently started my weight loss journey thinking that it would help prevent health problems - and now this. I guess I know why I've had trouble losing weight now. Does weight loss reverse diabetes?

Sorry for being so clueless. I guess I have a lot of reading and learning to do...
Old 08-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #454  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just checking in. I could have sworn I wrote a post a few days ago, but DH and I both laugh from time to time because we are so exhausted that we think we say and do a lot of things we didn't do. But the house went on the market 2 days ago. Carpet was cleaned yesterday. Now we wait for someone to come see the house and purchase it.

Carol Sue I am so proud of you for getting your bs down in the 2 digits. You have found your way. You are doing great.

I think I will be able to do that when my life gets settled again. Until then, I have good days and bad. Stationary bike isn't where I can ride it since everything has to be ready for showing. Now we just rest when we can. Since we have only one car, I don't go anywhere without DH since we both have to leave when they call saying they're going to bring someone to see the house. So I went and had my perm yesterday while the man cleaned the carpet and they had canceled any showings until today. Eating is just grab something. I did have a regular meal yesterday and today, but forgot to check bs today. Couldn't check it yesterday because I forgot to get the meter before DH moved the furniture out of living room. It was moved 1st and I couldn't get to it. However, I am trying to watch what I eat as much as possible.

I'll check back when I can.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #455  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue you have been doing amazing. I am so happy and proud of you. You know that balsamic seasoning is probably sodium filled so that is probably your culprit. Hope you're getting your water in ... it will certainly help
Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #456  

Welcome, Lotusgoddess! Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. It is a scary thing to hear, especially if you don't know anything about the disease. Hopefully, your doctor will send you to some educational classes or to see a diabetes educator. They can discuss your diet plan and answer any questions. When I was diagnosed 8 years ago, I was in the hospital recouperatiing from open heart surgery. As a matter of fact, it wa 8 years ago, today! Not only did I know nothing about the disease, they didn't tell me much because they were more concerned about my heart. I was never sent for any classes or instructions. Everything I learned was from the internet, doing research, reading forums, and asking questions. I am by no means a pro, but I manage.

As far as reversing it, it is my opinion that it cannot be reversed or cured, but it can be controlled. You can take meds for it, or you can manage it with a low carb diet and exercise. Weight loss will play a big part in managing it. I have struggled for years, with high blood sugar readings. I have tried so many time to control it with diet but I keep falling off the wagon. My recent experience has been working very well, finally, and I hope to continue. I am following a low carb diet similar to Atkins. The only difference is that I eat a few vegetables that are not listed on the Induction plan. My blood sugar has greatly improved...my weight has come down a few pounds.

Jump right on in and ask any questions that are on your mind.

Hi, Carolr!!

Trish, glad to hear the house is on the market. Best wishes for a rapid sale!

Rennie, it could very well be the seasoning. I don't worry a lot about fluctuations that are from fluid retention. I am interested in losing fat. I seem to have a whole little person residing on my belly. LOL
Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #457  

Last night when I went to bed my blood sugar was 112. This morning it was 114. No liver dump overnight! I did find out that my blood sugar goes up into the 140s if I eat onions. I didn't know what was doing it so I tracked all my food in the online tracker and the cooked onions had 22gm of carb. I had heard they are higher in carb but didn't think about it. I love onions, but will lay off them for a while. I think I heard that cooking them brings out the natural sugar.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #458  

Yesterday, I made brownies for my DH and grandson. When I was cutting them up, a couple crumbs that fell off jumped into my mouth!! Boy are those things fast. LOL Actually, it was less than 1 bite of brownie, but it worried me about my blood sugar. It went up to 130 from just that little bit! But in the past, I would have eaten a whole brownie and it would have gone to 200. I was at 112 again at bedtime, and 117 this morning, so that was just a little blip.

I was getting to the point where I was going to closely monitor my eating as my weight loss had stopped, then I got on the scale this morning and registered 195. I am now into new weight loss, and not the same 5 recycled pounds I have been losing over and over. I am wondering what clicked in my mind this time to make me stick with this, when it hasn't worked for such a long time in the past. Who knows? I say it's about time!

Trish? Are you still around? This morning I got a slideshow from WEBMD showing Superfoods for Women. Maybe you got it too. Among them were some that I'm eating. Kale, plain yogurt, walnuts, avacado, beans, grapefruit, sardines and liver. Yes, I eat liver! I eat kale a few times a week, and the others just occasionally, but it's funny that I gravitated toward these same foods when I decided to start eating healthier. As much as I love grapefruit, I have not been eating it because it interacts with my statin. I have cut back on my statin, and if my cholesterol is still under 200 next time I might stop it altogether. I don't know why these are being suggested for women, and not for men, too. I still look through that book we both have about the superfoods.

By the way, I do not recommend that anyone change the dose of their meds without consulting with their doctor.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-07-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #459  

Carol Sue Yes I'm still around. I tried to get back on plan today, but not easy when you are wondering if someone is going to call to bring someone to see the house. We've seen people drive by real slow looking at the house. We live on a cul-de-sac so it is obvious when they drive by slowly going both ways. We've seen it 5 times and I got a message from Zillow telling me that there have been 4 saves. So I'm hoping these are people that are interested and maybe trying to decide if they want to make an appointment.

Until the house sell, I am just trying to hold my own. DH and I both find ourselves craving foods almost constantly and I really think it is just stress. I believe when the house sells that we will be able to eat better. Right now, I am using the idea of the new book I bought of eating protein, fruit and veggies. She says do lowfat. I've almost decided that if I'm going to do this lowfat that I might as well just start using South Beach Diet.

I've thought about using the info from that book you are talking about too. It would be easier to just use the vegetables and fruit that book suggests eating to control the diabetes etc. In fact, according to this other book eating the right carbs (fruits and veggies with protein are the basics) your cholesterol, triglycerides and bs will correct itself as the weight will come off. I am so tired of my weight bouncing up and down.

I haven't got that article yet, but I get all of them on another one of my emails so I'll check to see if it is on there.

You are doing so amazing and I am so happy for you and proud of you.
Have a great week.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #460  

Trish, I hope you get a bite on the house, soon. I know you're anxious and waiting is very stressful, which can lead to overeating. Why, I don't know!

Yesterday, I felt very hungry at dinner time, to the point of feeling weak, tired and nauseated. We went out to eat, but were running a little later than we usually eat. I couldn't think of anything that I was really hungry for so I got my usual salad with tuna, and it just wasn't cutting it. I ate a bit, but didn't feel any better. I started thinking maybe I needed a little bit of carb. That's the devil sitting on my shoulder, tempting me. When we got home, I pulled off the cheese and topping from one of DH's slices of leftover pizza and ate that, just cheese and pepperoni, then I took 1 bite of the crust. One Bite!! This morning my fasting blood sugar was 134! So that's how carb sensitive I am! Luckily I have a lot of Glimiperide left over so I will take a bit when I eat breakfast/brunch and get it back down. Have I learned a valuable lesson? I sure hope so! This is working so well for me. I read on another forum that until I use up my stored glucose my weight loss would continue to be slow, but like I said before, I will take slow. Slow is better than no.

Our tomatoes from our garden are ripening quickly now and this is the time when I usually enjoy a lot of tomato sandwiches. We have 5 sitting here now, and a couple more red ones that need to be picked. I really don't want to get into eating bread. I have some of my low carb sprouted grain bread in the freezer and might do one sandwich to see how much damage it does. I never really tested this bread to see if I get a spike from it. It's very small thin slices. I think I could try it because I don't think it will start a carb binge. We'll see. Back when I was young, I used to think that toasted bread was less carby than non toasted. LOL Cook the carbs out of it!!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #461  

Carol Sue You have learned what works for you and you still saved the situation. At least you didn't eat the dough of the pizza. So I think you really did good because you didn't go off plan. I never got that article you talked about. I will have to go there and see if I can find it.

I've decided not to use the stress of the sell of this house as an excuse to mess me up weight and bs wise. I've decided to do WWSP and use the guidelines of the Magic Foods for better blood sugar book. I did pretty good with WWSP before and I can use it to eat healthier. Plus the easy part is that I can get me some of their meals/snacks to help me stay OP with quick mels when I don't have time or feel like cooking. I'm going to do more of a lowfat plan than low carb. It is just easier at this time. DH bought a lot of notebooks and I can use it to keep up with my points. This worked before so why not just do it. If I'm doing really good, I just might join WW when I get moved. I heard the doctor who helps write the new Atkins admit on an interview that both lowfat and low carb will work. Kind of goes back to my doctor saying "Any diet will work if you can live with it" idea.

I had oatmeal for breakfast. In the book I have of people who lost weight and kept it off for years always ate oatmeal for breakfast. With the benefits of eating oatmeal with berries or so great that it can't hurt.

I've got my plan and I think I will even feel good about myself knowing that I haven't allowed the move to derail me. Besides I need something to occupy my mind to release some of the stress of the move so I think focusing on my health will help do that. I will also be making it a point to check in here hopefully everyday. I think that will help too.

I need to sweep and mop my kitchen before my company comes. I just remembered DH said he spilled some salt on the floor. Humph wonder why he didn't clean it up? Oh well, he has really worked hard on this house so I won't complain. LOL

Have a great day and I'll see y'all to more.

Editing to say... I just noticed my ticker. It is exactly right. YAY!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-08-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #462  

Trish, he should throw some of that spilled salt over his shoulder, but I don't remember if it's the left shoulder or the right! LOL

I did a little test today with the sprouted grain bread in a tomato sandwich. The bread has got to go. 2 slices is 19gm of carb. With 1 scrambled egg, sliced tomatoes, and mayo my blood sugar went up to 189. Sorry to see it go, but I will have to just enjoy the sliced tomatoes with my scrambled eggs instead of in a sandwich. My step-daughter likes wheat bread so maybe she will want it. It's a new loaf, and I don't want to waste it, but I don't intend to have anything in the house that I cannot safely eat. Tonight, I made stuffed peppers. I used 1/4 c of brown rice spread over 4 peppers and my 2 hr blood sugar was 115, so that's a keeper. It would be a big difference if I was eating a side dish of rice with a meal, but I guess that small amount mixed in with the meat was safe. I should have been doing this testing years ago. It would have saved me a lot of heartache.

Also, I am going to try stopping my Metformin. I think it's not harmful to stop cold turkey, and I know it will take a while to get out of my body. I have been having bowel issues ever since I started this low carb that has lowered my blood sugar. Maybe with the lower blood sugar my dosage of Metformin is just too high. I hope it's that and not something more serious. I have been getting it almost every day and it seems to be telling that it started around the time I lowered my carb intake. I also bought some keto stix, but they are not turning color. I guess with the veggies I'm just not low enough in carbs to get into ketosis. In the Atkins book, it says that not everyone will get the pink color. As long as I have lowered my blood sugar and am losing some weight I won't worry about the pink color. LOL

There is a woman on another forum who has done Atkins Induction continuously since beginning her diet and she eats low carb, low fat and low calorie. LCHF has come about more recently than Dr Atkins books I think. Some people do it to try to speed their weight loss, but I don't feel it's necessary. You will do fine with what has worked for you in the past.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #463  

I have actually had a good day. Didn't count the pts today, but will do that tomorrow. We ate at Golden Coral today. I do pretty good there because I usually eat a more veggies than anything else. I tried the baked fish and I'm not sure what they seasoned it with, but I didn't like it. I think it was cumin and it was just too over powering. I did manage to eat about half of it. I ate a few bites of a fried chicken leg. I even ate my favorite carrot cake, but I decided to follow the IE rule I used to do and left a bite or two on my plate instead of eating every bite of the food I ate. I have to say that some of the things I got that I only ate about half because it just didn't taste good to me this time.

I read somewhere that eating oatmeal for breakfast keeps you satisfied better and you will eat less the rest of the day and I honestly believe that it worked that way for me today. I also read that black coffee curbs the appetite so I'm drinking coffee again. I can honestly say that I have eaten less today so I can honestly say I've had one good day.

Carol Sue I'm sorry about the bread. Have you tried the 1 Minute Muffin bread that the South Beach and Atkins people eat. It is made with flaxseed. I used to make it all the time. I have a copy but it is packed already. Sorry I can't send it. You might search it on 3fc and find the recipe. If you can't find it, I will try to search for it and Ruthie might have it if she is still on SBD site.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #464  

I will look for the flaxseed recipe, but don't know if I will actually try it. I am pretty good at just staying away from bread products. I just had my eggs this morning with some slices of tomato. I was satisfied with that. I forgot to put mayo on it, which I am allowed, and it makes it taste even better. I do have some flaxseed in the house from when I was making the flax crackers, but I got away from that. I also wanted to try the Whoopsie bread sometime, too and even bought a muffin top pan to make it in, but never got around to trying that either. I was happy that I could eat the small amounts of brown rice because that still allows me the stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage. I have yet to make and test my chili. I don't use a lot of beans in mine since DH isn't crazy about them, and I put macaroni in it for DH, but I take my serving out before I add the macaroni. I will be disappointed if I can't continue that, but am determined to eliminate anything that raises blood sugar.

Last night I only took 1 Metformin instead of two and blood sugar was up a little bit. I will continue to do without it until I find out I really need it. On a diabetes forum I read that stopping it will cause weight gain, too. So it's all up in the air. That might not even be what is causing my bowel issues. This is all a new learning experience for me, and I feel really good about it.

I ate oatmeal when I was first diagnosed, but it was included in a breakfast that also contained egg beaters. Back then I was much less sensitive to carbs. I prefer my eggs so much that I don't see me going back to oatmeal, and I don't want to eat both. I have been drinking a lot more coffee this go round. I don't know how it's affecting me. Maybe it's having something to do with the bowel issues. I never thought of that. It's something that has changed since I started this plan on July 28, either lower blood sugar, or something I'm eating, or not eating, is my guess. And I don't have it every day, that's the puzzle. I will have to pay very close attention to everything. I don't want to go through a barrage of tests with the doctor. He gets carried away. It's like he gets a kickback for sending me for more tests! LOL Most people complain of constipation on low carb. Definitely not my problem. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #465  

I have had a good day so far. Although I do like the WW idea of eating 0 pts for fruits and veggies, I have decided not to count points, but to count calories on MFP using the WW way of eating. It is just easier for me at this time to track on MFP rather than write everything down. Also, I've decided that it just might be good to be able to see the sodium, fat and sugar counts too along with the carbs and protein. I think I need to keep up with the sugar count in the fruit too so that I don't overdo it. I know me well enough that I need every bite counted. I have my plan for today already tracked and printed out to follow.

My weight is coming seems to be inching down and I'm down .2 lbs below the 225 this morning. Not much, but some and I suddenly enjoy seeing the small daily losses. I used to want to lose quickly, but I'm glad I've learned to enjoy losing slowly. I know at my age that it slow is better to keep from wrinkling so badly.

Calories today worked out to be around 1300ish so I'm good. My FBS was higher this morning, but then I broke my fast way earlier this morning because I am changing my eating times so that I don't eat anything after 6 or 7 pm. I'll still get a 14 to 15 hr fast, but my eating hours will be earlier in the day rather than later. I read that you shouldn't eat anything 2 hours before bedtime. However, years ago I heard that you should not eat anything within 4 hrs before bed. Since I go to bed at midnight, this will give me 5 to 6 hrs of not eating before bed.

I have a good attitude about what I'm doing which is good. I think I need the challenge right now with everything else going on because it makes me feel like I'm more organized.
Closed Thread