Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #346  

Morning everyone
I'm back from vacation. Ate way more carbs then I have been since before being diagnosed....today I'm back on track. I didn't even test while I was away. Denial? Maybe,,,,,maybe a bit of I want to be like everyone else for a bit. The carbs I over ate were mostly breads...toast and sandwiches. It was harder this time since staying at my sister in laws and they do not eat low carb anything. I could have not eaten what they ate,,it was my choice,,,went to bed a lot of times feeling bloated which happens when I overeat carbs now.
Ok enough whining...

Welcome Jesikabeth, you have had quite a time hasn't you. Congrats on being in remission! Getting thru that plus getting your diabetes/ weight under control is quite the accomplishment.
As for you question, I read one time being a diabetic is similar to being an alcoholic....once your an alcoholic your always one. Once your a diabetic your always one,,you just control it with lifestyle not meds.

Carol I'll be thinking of you waiting to see your dr...try not to worry. Hard I know.
Trish congrats on still losing... I know what you mean about not getting caught up in the latest 'fad' . We need to do what's best and what works for us right?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi, My name is Lisa and I would love to join you lovely people. I was dx about 2 months ago as Type 2. I had gestational diabetes w/ both my preg. about 20 years ago and in the last few years had been pre-diab. Of course I chose to do nothing about it. My A1c 6 months before had been 5.8 and is now 7. I had been dx as pre-d due to high FBS.

My Dr wanted to start me on meds. I asked her to give me a month or so to try and lower it w/ LCHF and exercise. I go back to see her on 6/28. I also have had some blurred vision and eye Dr stated there is some minor diabetic changes in the back of the eye. I have always had a problem w/ lows in the afternoon, I feel at other times my sugar must have been high for there to be changes in my eyes already.

I am determined to get a grasp on this whole "D" thing. I started at 278 and am down to 267.2 as this morning. Eating less than 80-100 carbs and walking everyday.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #348  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

p.a. good to see you back! Glad you had a nice vacay with your family. In the past, I have gone through periods of denial, when I just didn't want to be diabetic anymore. I ate horribly, didn't test, didn't get A1c blood work and probably cause a lot of damage to my body unnecessarily. I don't know why we do that. The facts are the facts.

My friend has been doing that for a couple years, while getting A1c's of 7.1. Now it went up to 8.5 and she has snapped into action. It scared her. It's a shame that it has to come to that to make us sit up and take notice.

Good for you for getting back on track. Your little variance was a lot shorter than mine was.

Lisa, welcome to our thread! You are no different from most of us, who don't want to accept this when the first diagnosis comes. I hope you can do this with LCHF. Most doctors start you on Metformin. It is a good drug with many benefits, but some have terrible digestive issues with it in the beginning and some cannot continue it at all. It has other health benefits besides helping with FBS. So if the doctor prescribes that, it's not the end of the world. It's when you get into other meds that can drop blood sugar quickly that you must beware.

I haven't been to an eye doctor in years. Just putting it off. I have no doubt that I have some diabetic damage. I get some blurred vision once in a while. That is one of the things that really scares me, along with losing toes or feet.

You have done great with weight loss, counting carbs and walking. I imagine you will see some favorable results and the doctor will be pleased. Keep us posted!
Old 06-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #349  

Hi Lisa, welcome to the group. I do a lower carb eating plan myself. My numbers have come down drastically because of it. Good luck.
Carol sometimes we just need a break right? I feel more in control these days and eating so been better. Of course I feel like I have more energy as well,,,no sugar/carb crashes will do that.
Went to the market this morning....love it when the fresh produce starts. I like knowing where my food comes from.
Company last night and more coming Friday..summer is here and it's busy busy busy.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #350  

p.s. We get some farmers markets in the summer, but their prices are always so high. I realize it's home grown and probably organic. I buy most of my produce at Aldi's. I think they get the rejects that the other stores don't want. I heard that the regular grocery stores are going to start selling produce that doesn't look so pretty, at a lower price. I don't think they will sell that even as low as it is at Aldi's. One time I bought radicchio at the chain grocery and it was $7.99/ lb. The next time I was in Walmart I saw they had it for $3.99/lb. Big difference! The ones at Walmart appeared to be the same quality as those at the chain grocery.

My blood sugar, blood pressure and weight were all up this morning. Probably because of the delicious lasagne I had for dinner last night.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #351  

Yup Carol lasagne will do that,,,but it's soooooo good. Lol
That's funny our farmer markets are cheaper here,,,lots of competition here we have farmland all around us.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #352  

We are losing a lot of our farmland as people are selling off the farms to housing developers. The younger generations don't want to continue with working the farms. The farmers know that people like getting locally grown produce and they can sell it at a high price. I also think that some of the people are actually bringing produce in from Ohio, and it isn't really locally grown. When I was a kid growing up, , probably 7 out of 10 of the neighbors had their own gardens. That was 50 years ago. People were always giving you things from their garden. Things have changed. We planted 8 tomato plants this year, and this might be the last year that we do it.

I took meds for that morning high blood sugar but no more since then. BS just checked at 116. Great number for me!! I think I might get a pretty good A1c if this keeps up. Still no weight loss.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #353  

Good going on the good number Carol.
Farming is a hard life I agree. I think it takes a special kind of person to do it. The farms here don't get certified for being 'organic' but don't use pesticides etc to grow their food. The odd one that does sell their produce for 3 times as much....but there is no difference in the growing process.
Feeling back on track this week,,,down a few pounds to. Not back to where I was though. Chipping away at it.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #354  

I got to thinking I was diabetes free and ate some junk food last night. Popcorn, chips, chocolate. Got a big spike. That's what I get for being cocky. LOL Back down again today. Behaving myself.

Hope everything is OK with Trish. Not like her to be away this long.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #355  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2004ct View Post
Hi, My name is Lisa and I would love to join you lovely people. I was dx about 2 months ago as Type 2. I had gestational diabetes w/ both my preg. about 20 years ago and in the last few years had been pre-diab. Of course I chose to do nothing about it. My A1c 6 months before had been 5.8 and is now 7. I had been dx as pre-d due to high FBS.

My Dr wanted to start me on meds. I asked her to give me a month or so to try and lower it w/ LCHF and exercise. I go back to see her on 6/28. I also have had some blurred vision and eye Dr stated there is some minor diabetic changes in the back of the eye. I have always had a problem w/ lows in the afternoon, I feel at other times my sugar must have been high for there to be changes in my eyes already.

I am determined to get a grasp on this whole "D" thing. I started at 278 and am down to 267.2 as this morning. Eating less than 80-100 carbs and walking everyday.
Hello and welcome. I rather like this support thread.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #356  

Arrow How is Everyone Today?

Good morning everyone, how is everyone today?

I am pretty good, at work and just doing the deal. I have gotten out of the habit of checking my bg's regularly and really need to get back on the ball with that. My last A1c was a 5.9, but I know by regularly checking my blood sugars I am being proactive and accountable. It's just been easy to not do it. Not that I stray much from my eating, so I know my blood sugars are probably fine. But still... Any suggestions?

Have a great day all
Old 06-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #357  

Jessikabeth, if my A1c was 5.9 I might not check my BS, as that is pretty good IMO. You might want to just check your fasting blood sugar a couple times a week to be sure it's staying relatively the same. If it starts to go up, then it's time to start checking more often to see what is causing it.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #358  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Jessikabeth, if my A1c was 5.9 I might not check my BS, as that is pretty good IMO. You might want to just check your fasting blood sugar a couple times a week to be sure it's staying relatively the same. If it starts to go up, then it's time to start checking more often to see what is causing it.

Thanks hun

Yea I've just gotten out of the habit and been so much more lax bc my a1c is so good. My doctor wants me checking 3 x Day though.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #359  

Morning everyone
Where is Trish?
JB ( shortened name lol) when I want to check my readings more I leave my stuff on my coffee table to remind me..then right after I eat I check the time and figure out when to retest,,,,that time seems to stick in my mind easily.
Company coming for the weekend,,off to clean my place.
Later gators!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #360  

I don't know where Trish has been. I hope everything is OK with her. Her last post said she would post more tomorrow, and that was about 7 days ago. It's not like her to be away from posting for so long.
Closed Thread