Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue There was a time when I was so committed to the low carb that I could sit and watch others eat their carbs and never want it. There was a time we would go to Walmart and DH would want to go to McDonald's attached to our Walmart and eat a hamburger. I was so committed to the way I was eating that I would tell him to go eat his burger while I did the shopping. I would love to be in that place again.

I did have one interesting experience after seeing the doctor. DH son always gives us a gift card to Olive Garden. So we decided to go there when we left the docs office. (The shame is that we didn't know until after we had eaten that the card could have also been used at the local Longhorn steakhouse which we would have enjoyed much better.) Any way, I decided to create my meal with whole wheat linguini, grilled chicken and alfredo sauce. I'm sorry to say that I love their bread sticks as well as the salad and I ate 2 bread sticks. Shame on me.

I couldn't believe the size of the plate of food they brought out. I told DH if that was the lunch special that I would hate to see what the dinner size would be. There was no way I could eat all that food. I ended up eating maybe a third of it and brought the rest home for DGS to eat.

I agree that we have to learn to change our eating lifestyle otherwise we will just go back to eating the way we always did and end up right back where we are now. That has been my problem in the past.

You know I told my doctor that I was doing a modified poleo, but I don't think I can really put a name to it. WW SF or Core is probably the closest to what I'm doing because I want to eat grains especially in the form of beans, and I don't want to give up my dairy. So I think a combo of WW SF and Intermittent Fasting with CAD is the best way to do this.

I don't know if I can do the 5:2 either because of the same reason. I never know where or when DH wants to go eat. I think I read somewhere that you have to fast the same day every week, and I don't think I could always do the same days. However, if you don't have to do the same 2 days each week, I might could do it. I thought about getting the book but that is all I need. I went to Amazon and there are a lot of 5:2 books nd it looks like there might even be a new one coming out this month. So I'm not sure which one to order.

Guess I better close this off. I fell asleep and woke up to about 10 rows of k's on here that I had to delete. LOL

You have a good weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-11-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hold off on that order, Trish. I'm leaving now, but I think I have a bookmark that gives you all the info on 5:2 without buying the book. If I can find it, it will save you the money of buying yet another book. LOL I think between the two of us, we have every diet book ever written. LOL
Old 06-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #333  

Carol Sue LOL!!! You are right about us probably having every diet book there is between the two of us. I'm not sure I am going to worry about the 5:2 diet any way as I am going to try the 2 large meals a day for a while and see how that works out. However, if you have info bookmarked, you might share it just in case.

I did eat a huge breakfast this morning since it was Sunday morning, I decided to try the 2 large meals a day starting today. The interesting thing is that I couldn't eat all of it. I was surprised.

Catch you tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #334  

Trish, I had a big breakfast yesterday, too, but I had no carbs. We went to the breakfast buffet and I just had eggs, sausage and bacon. I ate a lot, and at dinner time I wasn't hungry. But DH went out and bought McDonalds. He ate 1 1/2 burgers and I ate the other half. I was not hungry. If he hadn't put that food in front of me, I would not have eaten it. This is where I have to work.

I sent you an email with the 5:2 info I had. Sorry I didn't have more. There's not a lot of detail to it. Just stay within the 500 cals 2 days, and don't overdo it the other days. Really no limitations on anything. Use your own judgement.

My friend has had an A1c of 7.1 for the past couple years. She refused medication, does not test, and pretty much buries her head in the sand, not considering herself to be diabetic. I don't preach to her about it, just make suggestions. I told her how to eat low carb and she says that doesn't leave much to eat. This year her A1c was 8.5. She is now officially diabetic. She refuses meds, even Metformin. I don't know why. She takes meds for blood pressure, she takes meds for cholesterol, she takes meds for thyroid, why not for diabetes? Her mother was diabetic, and I think she's afraid of turning out like her mother. Ignoring it is not the answer. Recently, she told me that she is checking the carb count of everything she eats and writing it down, and is staying between 150-200 per day. That might help, but she still will not test, so she will not know if it's helping until she gets another A1c in 3 months. She said her mother always complained that her fingers hurt from testing, so I guess she doesn't want her fingers to hurt. Also, another friend of our lost her leg, then passed away, all from not controlling her diabetes. I just don't understand her resistance to this. She goes for her gyne check ups, gets her mamograms. What is there about diabetes that she is hiding from it, when it's right there in front of her in black and white. I hope she sticks to this tracking her carbs and makes an improvment.

I am also concerned about Donna. Remember Donna, who had that serious operation a few months back? She has not posted since right after she told us about that in April. I sent her a PM asking if she was OK and haven't heard back. I hope she's OK.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #335  

Carol Sue Thanks for the info you sent. Haven't had time to look at it yet. I'll check it out although I'm not sure I want to do it. I lost 2.6 lbs this past week and I wasn't following the plan 100%. If I can just stay within my 5 to 6 hrs a day of eating, exercise 45 minutes 5 to 6 days a week, I will be happy. I may lose slower, but I don't really care at this age.

We have a lot of people who don't check in much but I figure everyone is busy for the summer. I too hope Donna is doing okay.

I managed to eat 2 meals and a snack within 5 hrs. I am happy with that. I am not shooting for 5 hrs everyday. I plan to do between 5 to 8 hrs hoping that there will be better days than others.

Have a good day.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #336  

Trish, 2.6 lbs lost is NOT slow weight loss! I would kill for that! ha ha I would kill, but I won't stop eating. LOL

Got a call from the cardiology office. My stress test was "slightly abnormal" and I have to go back on the 24th to "discuss" it. They gave me no other clue as to what's wrong, but when I asked if I could still exercise they said yes, so how bad could it be? Now I have 10 more days to stress out about this. Not a happy camper.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #337  

Carol Sue I pray it is nothing serious and everything will be okay. I know it has to be stressful, but try not to let it get to you too much. Surely they wouldn't tell you that you can exercise if it was too bad. I will keep you in my prayers.

I am sorry to say that was a typo, I lost 1.6 lbs. last week, but that is not a bad thing.

I'm going to stay with me original plan to eat lower carb WW SF style. I have to be careful not to get caught up in trying new things or what someone else is doing. That is what always throws me off. I've done that for years and it never works. It just sets me up for failure. I would just like to learn to just eat when hungry and don't eat when I'm not and keep up my exercise.

Catch you tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #338  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Type 2 Diabetic here. 3 years ago my a1c was uncontrolled 10.6, now it's a 5.9

On once a week injection Bydureon and oral Metformin ER.

Hello everyone *waves*
Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #339  

JesikaBeth, Welcome to the Diabetes thread! You have done a good job lowering your A1c, and also with weight loss. Good for you! I have never heard of Bydureon. I will have to google that one. Stick around and tell us more. We all seem to have our different struggles here and try to help each other out, compare notes, so to speak.

Trish, even 1.6 is a good loss. Do that every week for 6 months and that's a 42 lb loss. And I agree that you have to keep on doing what works for you and not get distracted by what others are doing. It's OK to learn from others, and maybe try something new, but if it's not broke, don't fix it!

I am really not too upset over the doctor, but just hate not knowing what this discussion is going to entail. I really don't want more surgery, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. I'm not going to turn down something that will continue my life a little longer. I do agree that if he said it's OK to exercise, it can't be a dire emergency. I did an hour of exercise today while watching my soaps. Not real high intensity, but moving and working my muscles. It feels good.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #340  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
JesikaBeth, Welcome to the Diabetes thread! You have done a good job lowering your A1c, and also with weight loss. Good for you! I have never heard of Bydureon. I will have to google that one. Stick around and tell us more. We all seem to have our different struggles here and try to help each other out, compare notes, so to speak.

Trish, even 1.6 is a good loss. Do that every week for 6 months and that's a 42 lb loss. And I agree that you have to keep on doing what works for you and not get distracted by what others are doing. It's OK to learn from others, and maybe try something new, but if it's not broke, don't fix it!

I am really not too upset over the doctor, but just hate not knowing what this discussion is going to entail. I really don't want more surgery, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. I'm not going to turn down something that will continue my life a little longer. I do agree that if he said it's OK to exercise, it can't be a dire emergency. I did an hour of exercise today while watching my soaps. Not real high intensity, but moving and working my muscles. It feels good.
Hello, thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, let's see... my story...

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic when I was struggling with Bulimia and underweight, at age 25. I was floored, I was always one of the ones who thought that pre diabetes/type 2 happened in overweight people (myth #1). It was also shocking because nobody in my family is diabetic. Over the next several years, I managed to recover from Bulimia, but developed full blown diabetes. I didn't understand it at the time, and the doctor I was seeing only gave me pills and didn't educate me at all on how to take care of myself. "Take this once a day, I'll see you in 3 months to check your a1c, and exercise more" (something that was a challenge to hear as I wasn't fully 'emotionally' recovered from my eating disorder, but had been symptom free for several years.) Over time I slipped into compulsive eating, gained up to 275 pounds at 5'8, and felt awful. I never checked my blood sugars, didn't exercise, and was a mess health wise. I met my (now) wife who works in healthcare and she has been my biggest supporter. We found Diabetes America, a one-stop-shop if you will for Diabetes care all under one roof (nutritionists, diabetes educators, MD's, PA's, etc.) To my guilt my a1c was out of control, pushing 11. The doctor put me on a different medication, and put me on insulin. I had reached an all time low. 1 year later, at 32 years old, I was diagnosed with Cancer (non Hodgkin lymphoma) and confirmed I had Celiac Disease. With the steroids I had to take during chemotherapy, my blood sugars went insane -- often 500+. And I gained even more weight, reaching an all time high of 323 pounds. My diabetes doctor suggested an insulin pump, and so it was. AND let me tell you, that little thing saved me. Best decision ever. My blood sugars evened out, or as much as they could being that I was on heavy doses of steroids. In Dec 2014, almost 34 years old I was told I was in remission after 18 months of chemotherapy and 14 sessions of radiation. My outlook on life had completely changed, how could it not having faced my potential death? I decided enough was enough with the Diabetes, and I would do whatever it took to be healthy - mind, body, and spirit. Since then, I have lost 88 pounds, I am not only off of the insulin pump but I am off of insulin all together. I am just taking oral metformin 2000mg/day and the once a week injectable Bydureon. My a1c is controlled and I am 55 pounds away from my goal weight.

Soooo... that's where I'm at, and my diabetes story
Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #341  

Quick flyby tonight. Internet was down most of the day so wasn't able to get here before now. Nothing new going on here today.

JesidaBeth Glad to have you here. My DH was diagnosed T-2 a few years ago. No one in his family has ever been diabetic and although he is over weight some, he never thought he would ever be diabetic. However, we have since learned that some of his meds he is own has diabetes as a side effect.

Carol Sue I don't know why doctors act like something that is wrong is not "that" serious. Last week after our blood work, the doctor's nurse called to see if DH was still taking his fenofibrate. I told her yes he was. She called back and said he would talk to him at his docs appointment. Last month, he only refilled his bp medicine for one month and would discuss that too as his triglycerides were to high. When we got there the discussion was not all that great and the fenobibrate was never mentioned. However, the other medicine was discussed and we learned he was taking that medicine to keep the atrial fib under control, but wants him to think about going to Lipator. End of discussion. We worried about it for a week and nothing is changed. Strange. I hope your situation will be the same.

I'm tired. We start a summer Bible study at church tomorrow at 9:30 so I'm going to bed. I will get back with y'all tomorrow afternoon.

Good night.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #342  

JessikaBeth, that's quite a story! You have been through a lot, and I'm so glad to hear that everything has worked out so well for you. Keep up the good work. At one time in my life I was Bulimic. I gave up the purging, but not the bingeing and that's how I got to the weight I am now. Since that time I have also given up the bingeing and I feel a lot better, but the weight gain brought on the diabetes, and I have a lot of difficulty losing weight. I think most people who have a weight problem have some type of eating disorder.

Trish, I was just at the doctor's 2 weeks ago and then last week I had the stress test and that's what he wants me to come in to discuss. The only problem at the doctor visit was my wonky blood pressure. It's possible that with the slight irregularity of the stress test he wants me to do more about the blood pressure. I am on 4 BP meds. What more can I do? I really wish I had some clue as to what we are going to be discussing, but they didn't say anything so I guess I will just have to wait and see. They didn't do any bloodwork so it couldn't be about that. It's something that showed up on the stress test, but it's not bad enough that I can't exercise. I don't do really strenuous exercise, but he doesn't know that. I have no choice but to wait 9 more days. Seems like a month! LOL I don't even want to say this, but I hope it's not more surgery. My body is just a bunch of incisions.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #343  

Smile

[QUOTE=Wannabehealthy;5265304]JessikaBeth, that's quite a story! You have been through a lot, and I'm so glad to hear that everything has worked out so well for you. Keep up the good work. At one time in my life I was Bulimic. I gave up the purging, but not the bingeing and that's how I got to the weight I am now. Since that time I have also given up the bingeing and I feel a lot better, but the weight gain brought on the diabetes, and I have a lot of difficulty losing weight. I think most people who have a weight problem have some type of eating disorder.

Hello, thank you Yes, I have been through a lot. To be honest sometimes it's exhausting but I try my best to use my experiences for the better. I understand about switching eating disorders from Bulimia to COE. It took me a while to get out of the compulsive overeating cycle. I agree, as well, that most people who have a weight problem have some type of eating disorder (emotional eating/binge eating/compulsive over eating, etc.) I am glad that you are free from Bulimia! I wish you the best of luck on your freedom from COE and your weight loss journey
Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #344  

Question Quetion:

So I have a question, there seems to be a debate as to whether one can reverse type 2 diabetes. I have heard both sides of the debate:

A -- It can be completely reversed through healthy lifestyle, weight loss, etc.

B -- It can be managed, but once a diabetic always a diabetic, and once a diabetic, one always has to be cognizant of lifestyle choices, even if one is off of all medications and doing well.

Thoughts?!
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #345  

I don't think it can be reversed. You can change your diet and lifestyle to the point that you have good blood sugar and don't need any meds. But you can never go back to eating carbs and having your body handle them properly. A non-diabetic can eat carbs and the body will release the correct amount of insulin to open the gates and allow the glucose to enter the cells. I believe that once you are diabetic, the damage is done to your pancreas and it will never operate properly again. The fact that you cannot go back to eating those carbs, to me, means you are still diabetic, but under control. I'm sure there might be someone who will disagree with me.
Closed Thread