Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Jesikabeth Thanks!!!

Carol Sue I saw your message on another thread about the Flexitarian and thought the same thing. I really think I can live with this way of eating. I like being able to keep my dairy and my fruit and a few grains as well as a few nuts and beans. I've added black beans to my salads to get some iron naturally. The calcium in the dairy is so very important at my age and I read that our bodies do not utilize the suppliments as well as the calcium we get from the dairy. There are nutrients we get from the fruit that our bodies need as well. They are very heart healthy from what I read. As I told my friend this morning, I'm more interested in staying healthy these days than being skinny.

Rennie Glad to see you coming here again. My weight was only down .4 lb this week, but my FBS was 139 this morning. So hopefully what I'm doing is down. DH FBS was back down to 120.

Also the Flexitarian diet recommend 30 min a day exercise 3 days a week with an increase to 90 minutes. I figure my 30 to 45 minutes 5 or 6 days will work very nicely with the plan.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #377  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Trish , Good job on the .4 down Your FBS was 9pts up from the 70-130pts. What has your FBS been reading? Good for you on the exercise also. I'm hoping to join you in that area soon

I went to my first diabetes nutrition class today and got a good refresher on what I need to do. Getting my FBS in a good range is first by eating properly is the key. I bought some 3 section plates from walmart to hopefully help with food portion and what foods. I'm also gonna try having a high fiber carb, one hour before bed to see if that helps but I have to be getting 5 to 8 hours of sleep in order for it to help me. So gotta work on my sleep patterns. She said we get 2 carb choices per meal 15g each. I don't go back until the end of July due to the times the class is offered so I hope to have improved some things by my next appointment

Last edited by love2b150; 06-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #378  

Rennie My FBS has been running in the 150s before. So getting a 139 felt good. I had not heard about the 70 - 130 range. I thought it was 70 - 120. Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know about eating a carb 1 hour before bedtime either. I try to get 7 to 8 hrs sleep so I might try that and see how that works.

I have been so conditioned by diets to the rule of "no snacks", but I read that diabetics can keep their bs level better if they eat every 3 or 4 hrs. Did the dietician say anything about that?

After posting today, I read on WebMD about vitamins. I found it interesting that as I read about vitamins why we need to eat certain foods to get the vitamins rather than take supplements and when we need to add a supplement to the foods we eat. It seems that when we get older that we need foods with B12 plus take B12 supplement. We get B12 from steak and I'm sure other meats. I will be eating more of a modified Paleo diet. I say modified because, I will be adding the beans and some grains. I'm thinking doing this with the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and Intermittent Fasting of 8 hr eating window just might be the way to go. I can have the grain at the Reward meal and low carb the other meals.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #379  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I agree about getting the vitamins from food instead of supplements. The food (vegetables) contain fiber and phytoneurtients, antioxidants that you don't get from a supplement, plus they are very low calorie and help to fill you up.

Rennie, I am excited for you that you are working with this nutritionist to help you get back on track. I have never tried the carb snack at bedtime, but I was always afraid it would raise my blood sugar, not lower it. When I was in the hospital, diabetics always got a snack at bedtime, and it was either a graham cracker with peanut better or saltine cracker with cheese. The cheese might have been low fat. It was a slice of cheese, but wasn't soft the way most sliced cheese is. I am looking forward to hearing what else she has to say. I remember about the 15 gm of carb. In the hospital, I asked the dietitian why they were giving me regular pudding instead of sugar-free and she said that the portion they were serving had 15 gm of sugar so it was within the guidelines. Even so, I still try to keep sugar out of my diet.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #380  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Good morning everyone, I hope you all have a great Tuesday
Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #381  
~Rennie

Trish the paper she gave up said 70-120 was for pregnant women, but I had always heard and was told in the 90's when I had gestational diabetes that is needed to be below 110, so I don't know what new discoveries they'd made I also was told before that you could subtract the fiber and something else to come up with your net carbs and they told us yesterday, fiber is still a carb so the total that you see on the item you are eating needs to be calculated the way you see it. But I do know that Atkins subtracts the fiber, so idk. It is what it is. I've been subtracting the fiber for years on MFP. Trish see said a carb snack, so a serving of hummus or a half of a banana, popcorn. There's gonna give us a book at the next class. But for me it is definitely worth a try because my FBS is rarely good here lately but again I am basically starting from scratch. My issue will be remembering to do it. I have my fitbit set to alert me to take my met. I need something to remind me to test two hours after I eat. I am supposed to be testing 3 times a day. Fasting is easy and I'm gonna make bedtime the next for sure time (pre-snack) and then one meal through out the day so that they can see the pattern that they are looking for. When I was on insulin, I had to eat a 3 small Russell Stover sf candies before bed or 5 saltine crackers. I remember that because I would eat it as soon as I took the insulin, they were side by side. Trish see my comment below, yep every 3 hours I'm gonna go to Dollar Tree and buy some of those ribeye steaks they have. They thaw easily and are quick to prepair.

Carol Sue, I don't remember if I ate the crackers with cheese but it does make sense so maybe I did. Now that you mention it I ate graham crackers also at bedtime, 1.5 sheets (3 squares) thanks for that reminder. You know what else I remember?? going to Burger King and having 11 fries a burger with cheese and mustard (ketchup not allowed, no bun) and a milk. <--- that was my treat meal when I wanted fast food, when I had gestational diabetes.

adding this --- >I ate pizza for dinner last evening and woke up to a sugar reading but I knew it would be. It was better after breakfast so I'm good. She of course said we should eat every 3 hours for energy/fuel and unless I'm at work I'm not hungry 3 hours after I eat. Weight was up 2.2lbs also to be expected but in the next coming days I think I can pull it all together so that I can see good numbers all around. Hopefully my section plates will help me and I plan to take them with if and when I go to a restaurant. I can then bring the extra home for another meal.

I'm gonna definitely keep you all posted on what's going so this will help me to stay accountable also Thanks Ladies for always being here for me, I appreciate you

Last edited by love2b150; 06-28-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #382  

I tried the carb 1 hr before bedtime and FBS was 179 this morning. Eating close to bedtime has never made my FBS lower. So I won't be doing that.

Rennie Do keep us updated on what you learn. I got the book out DH DD used when she was pregnant and she had gestational diabetes. I noticed they had her on a lot of carbs 45 for breakfast, 60 for lunch etc. So evidently they have changed things a lot since then. I never used it when she gave it to me because I knew that was entirely too many carby foods for me.

I decided to go back to eating low carb meal for breakfast and snacks and then have my carbs at one meal during the day. I'm going to do that for a while and see how it goes. I've had a difficult time doing it lately but I've got a lot going on with DGS moving out and having to get my part done with the house to get it on the market. I just know we are going to end up staying with my sister and her DH while our house is being built. I got in the car this morning to make a quick run to the store. I saw a sign in front of a neighbor's house said "Sold". I was shocked as there never was a For Sale sign in their yard. These are the things I am hearing more and more here.

We are supposed to get an update on pricing sometime today. If it meets our approval and we agree to it then they will send us the contract. I hope we can get things going sometime soon. Now they want us to pay for a pre-appraisal to be sure we are getting our moneys worth because they say our custom built house is different from the standard house for that community. I have no idea what that even means. The only major change we made that we know of is a little bit large garage. Crazy.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #383  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think a lot of people count net carbs when on a low carb diet for weight loss, but for diabetics, a carb is a carb. I think that's what your dietitian way saying, Rennie.

It was 2008 when I was diagnosed in the hospital. They had me on 45 gm of carb at each of 3 meals and 15 gm of carb at bedtime. I think I was eating less than 45 gm at meals because of the choices I was making. I lost 20 lbs, continuing that WOE when I came home, but eventually my portions returned to the SAD portions. I didn't gain that 20 lbs back, but stopped losing. I was drinking skim milk at every meal and I think that helped me lose. I really do. I would love to return to that eating plan, but I don't know if I could remember to keep my portions that small.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #384  
~Rennie

Trish it can't just be a regular carb like crackers or bread it needs to have something else with it. What was it that you ate last night? Have you been in any of your neighbors homes? What were some of the differences that you noticed? Or even drive around the neighborhood and see what differences you notice about other homes compared to yours. Just a thought
Old 06-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #385  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Just wondering if there is anyone else who is also gluten free and diabetic on this thread. I have Celiac Disease, am gluten free and type 2 diabetes.

Have a great day everyone
Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #386  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, it's work a try for sure. Now the carbs per meal are supposed to be 30mg and 15 for snacks. We're gonna do individualized meal planning at our next meeting. I'm excited

JesikaBeth, I have noticed when I eat gluten free I don't have the bloating that I have when I eat it. I have not totally excluded it from my diet though it would definitely benefit me

Hi Trish ... oh Trish my FBS was another scary one this morning but I only got 4hrs and 37min of sleep according to my fitbit

Last edited by love2b150; 06-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #387  

Good Afternoon Everybody,

JesikaBeth No I've never been told I was gluten sensitive. I did have a man who ran a health food store tell me he thought I was. No doc ever told me I was. I did have my doctor tell me that I did not have Celiac disease so I shouldn't worry about gluten. So I don't.

Rennie I actually at crackers the night before the 175 glucose reading. I had said it was 179 but noticed this morning it actually was 175, but it was still too high. I did have pop corn for a snack last night and it was down to 159 this morning. I have heard that sleep has as much to do with our bs reading as our activity and diet does. So much to keep up with. I think the 30 g for mealtime and 15 g for snacks sounds reasonable.

Carol Sue I have read that milk does help us lose weight. I hope that is true.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #388  
~Rennie

Trish did you eat cheese or pb with the crackers? But yay you on having the popcorn and it going down
Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #389  

Hey everyone
My company is gone and I'm back. Time to get serious again,,,,too many treats again this week. Today was much better plus I got my 10,000 steps in. Drinking lots of water and trying to get in more green tea.
JB I'm not celiac but I try to avoid any wheat,,,,spikes my bg too high. After my dr check ups I treat myself to a burger or sandwich and then go off it again until my next check up. I do notice when I eat more carbs like bread I'm bloated and my joints ache. Tells me how bad it is for me.
Welcome Rennie!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #390  

p.a. I forgot about wheat and joint pain. I don't eat a lot of wheat and I have notice that some days they ae better than others. Maybe I should see what I'm eating to cause them to be worse. Thanks for mentioning it.

Rennie No I didn't eat pb or cheese with the crackers. I finished up some Skinny Pop popcorn I had last night, but I think I will start eating air popped popcorn at night. I do love popcorn and it is nice that it helps bring down FBS.
Closed Thread