Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, to me SF sounds similar to Intuitive Eating, and seems easy to follow, once you know the foods involved. I looked over the list and didn't see many starchy carbs. I think most weight loss plans limit starchy carbs, for obvious reasons. This should work well for you. I don't understand the reason for including the 49 weekly points, though, unless that is to be used for treats that are not included on the food list. I would think it would be best to stay away from anything not of the Power Foods list for best results. Good luck with this.

I am trying to take my doctor's advice to heart and am once again making an effort to get losing again. I'm aiming for 20 lbs and 5 inches off my waist. He has chosen the time limit of 6 months, my next scheduled visit. I think it would be nice if I didn't disappoint him, or myself for that matter. His goal is to lower my BS and BG and mine is to fit into my gray pants. LOL I have them hanging by my scale as a reminder along with my tape measure. I think I will make a big marker line on my take measure, indicating my goal.

Today I reached into my kitchen cupboard and collapsed a shelf. Luckily, nothing broke except for the plastic clips that hold the shelf in place. DH is working in the garage and hasn't seen it yet. Uh, oh, when he does! LOL I think we need to buy some more clips.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue One day DH and I were sitting her watching tv and heard this big crash in the kitchen. One of the shelves in my island had fallen and everything fell to and hit the things on the bottom shelf and others fell out into the floor. Some of the lids to my corning ware broke, but the corning bottoms were fine. I told DH that I thought deceased DH put nails in our cabinets. He said screws would work. They just don't make things like they used to. LOL

I chose WWSF because it is low carb lowfat. I will have to read up on the WWSF plan again as I was in a hurry when I saw it and realized how it works. I used a combo of Flex/Core years ago along with some others. I can't remember but I those of us who used both named it Flore. We counted the Flex points, but followed the Core plan. I was doing great, but I had joined WW on line back then and for some reason the people doing Flex really resented the success those of us doing Flore were having and they really harassed us a lot. I finally lest WW and went on low carb. I remember thinking this was so much like IE because of what they call "Comfort Zone" which teaches the same thing IE does... eat when you are really hungry and stop when you are satisfied.

I think the 49 pts probably are for the foods you eat that are not considered Simple Filling foods. I assume this means that if I have serving of a potato baked or mashed which is 4 pts on the new plan then I would have to count it as one of my 49 weekly allowed pts. The nice thing about it is that the fruit, veggies, protein and dairy don't have to be counted as long as they are the ones allowed and the only SF dairy is FF or 1/2%. I'm not sure I will eat many starchy foods. It will be easy to eat only one serving occasionally rather than even once a day.

I learned that some CAD followers drink a high protein Slim fast shake. I didn't know that Slim fast had high protein drinks. I got one with 10 grams of protein and 5 g fiber to drink in place of a snack at night. What surprised me is that they also have a 20g protein shake, but I don't think I need that much protein especially for a snack. Besides, I will be eating plenty of protein during the day. Although I do eat beef during out main meals with DH, I bought ground turkey patties, bacon and sausage links that I will use for my evening meals. I want to cook some lentils with the sausage bacon and put it over some cauliflower. I think I'm not going to et a lot of broccoli any more. I will eat it, but according to CAD some people cannot eat it during a low carb meal/snack because it causes them to stall. So I decided to start using cauliflower instead. I think this will make my life so much easier.

Tomorrow morning I will use my measuring tape and keep track of the measurements as well as the weight. I really believe this is going to make my diet life so much simpler. I've always leaned toward IE and this will be my way of making it work for me. This will fit into my lifestyle very nicely.

20 lbs in 6 months should be doable. I hope you will be able to do it or at least close to it. Good luck friend. We started this year believing it would be our year. I still believe we can do it.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #318  

I normally eat more broccoli than cauliflower or other vegetables. When I was having all those problems with tendonitis I read somewhere that cruciferous vegetables can contribute to tendonitis, but normally it's just when eaten raw. I don't eat raw vegetables, but tend to leave them a little crisp when I cook them. I remember J from the other thread told me that her RA flares up if she didn't cook her veggies well. Twice recently I ate broccoli and had terrible pains in my shoulder afterwards. The first time I didn't think of the broccoli, but then several days later I ate broccoli again and it happened again. So I haven't had any broccoli since. I can't wait to see what happens the next time I eat it. So many medical problems are due to what we eat, but a lot of people don't make the connection. Everyone seems to think of broccoli of being healthy. LOL I never had my shoulder checked, but many time if I move my arm forward my shoulder joint will click. I think it needs oiled. LOL

DH fixed the shelf. One of the plastic clips broke but we had enough to hold up the shelf for the time being. I will look for some of those clips when we go to Home Depot. We only need them for the couple shelves that are adjustable. I was lucky that nothing broke except for the clips.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #319  

I didn't know eating raw veggie, some of them, could cause the joint pain. I've been having problems with a couple of finger joints. I exercise them and work them to try to keep them working. Maybe I can't eat all these salads I eat. Perhaps I need to heat them or even make them into a soup instead of a salad. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #320  

Trish, it's not salad vegetables. It's just cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts. I will try to find the article I read about them. They effect the thyroid and slow it down. I realized about the tendonitis from my own experience. If I get bad tendonitis I take a Kelp tablet and it helps, but too much Kelp can be bad for you. I really don't have any other experience with RA, but do you remember when my hip pain would go away when I ate kale? That must be involved somehow. I think if you have low thyroid they recommend cooking your cruciferous veggies rather than eating raw.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #321  

Trish, I can't find the particular article I was looking for. The jist of it is, the raw cruciferous vegetables inhibit your iodine uptake in your body, causing you to be low on iodine. I just watched a video from a guy who says that instead of stopping the raw vegetables, which are important for their cancer protection, increase your iodine consumption, which is basically what I do when I take the kelp. My thyroid tends to run a little low, but not low enough to require meds. I believe you have to be careful taking anything to increase your iodine unless you have been tested and actually know that your iodine is low. I can't really back up my claims, I can just tell you that my tendonitis pain increases when I eat raw cruciferous vegetables. We're all different, and your pain could be from something else altogether. I don't want to try to give medical advice when what I'm saying could be wrong for someone else.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #322  

Carol Sue Actually iodine could be the problem. I read about that on an article I read that the cruciferous foods need to be cooked with butter in order for us to get the iodine and other chemicals we don't get. The butter helps the chemicals we need to be absorbed better in our bodies. I too have had doctors actually tell me that my thyroid was borderline, but not low enough for meds. I used to take kelp but haven't taken it in years. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for sharing that.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-06-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #323  

Today I tried a new vegetable. Radicchio. I saw a recipe for it grilled, like I sometimes do with hearts of romaine, so I bought some. Pricy. $7.99/lb. I bought 1 at a half pound, sprayed it with olive oil spray grilled it on my grill pan. I browned some capers and put them over it. Another thing I have never tried. I put a drizzle of ranch dressing over it and it was delicious. I googled it however, and it doesn't have a lot of nutritional value, so at $8/lb, I will probably not buy it again. The capers, on the other hand, have a lot of health benefits, so I will continue to buy them and sprinkle them in my salads.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #324  

Hey everyone I haven't disappeared it's just summer right,,,less time on iPad. I'm heading out of town on Thursday for a week,,will try to check in.
Be good!!! Lol
Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #325  

I just deleted my post by accident. I was trying to edit.

I had my stress test and will get the results in a day or two once the doctor has reviewed it. I'm praying that nothing is wrong. Too many other things going on and I don't have time to be sick. LOL

While in the waiting room I was reading a Health magazine that had some good articles in it. I used to subscribe and got it free with my Coca Cola points, but stopped for some reason. I think I will subscribe again.

When I was at Walmart I saw radicchio for $3.99/lb, which is half of what I paid at the regular grocery store, at $7.99/lb. I knew they were more expensive that that's rediculous. I probably won't buy it again anyway, even at $3.99lb. I wasn't real impressed with it. I try to eat different veggies once in a while to see what they're like. Some I like and some I don't. But at least I try them.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #326  

Had my 3 mos doctor's appointment today. A1c was 6.3 and down 2 lbs. Triglycerides were down, but needs to come down more. He was very pleased with my progress. My sodium was a little low and he wants me to stop the mild fluid pill and take as needed not everyday. I don't have to take the Metformin as long as I can continue controlling the bs with my diet and exercise. He said they would rather I do it that way any way.

DH numbers and weight was up, but I think that will correct itself now. I've been telling him that he shouldn't have gone from reduced fat dairy to higher fat. This time the doctor said verified that. In fact, I had just read online that dairy fat is what causes the triglycerides to go up so I asked him about it and he said yes. I think DH will change to the lower fat and that should help. His A1c was up a little, but not that much but I think that will come back down too. I told him that DH rides his stationary bike for about 5 minutes a day and he was glad. He was glad to hear it and told him to keep doing it no matter how little he does each day as it will help.

I am motivated.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #327  

Thought I would share this article out today.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...-diabetes.html
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #328  

Trish, back in 2011, my triglycerides were 135. I was eating relatively low carb, less than 100 gm per day, and exercising 45 min per day 5 days a week. Since that time, not exercising nearly as much, they have been in the 200s and I had one in the 300s. Just my experience with it. I think carbs and exercise are the key to triglycerides. I know what I should be doing, just don't do it.

Did the doctor say anything about your blood pressure being so low? Cutting out the fluid pill would bring it up a bit. Your A1c was good, and that's probably why he never wants to give you the glimiperide. You really don't need it. I was over 7 when he gave it to me, and over 8 when he increased it. I want off it so bad, but do I want that enough to stop the insanity?

Once we switched to fat free milk, we can't drink full fat. One time DH bought it by mistake and he wanted to dump it out because he said it was bad, but then I looked at the carton and saw that he bought full fat by mistake. It's all in what you get used to. Skim milk used to be watery and have a blue cast. Now they add something to it to get rid of that. Another thing you can do is add Carnation Non Fat Milk powder to it. It makes it taste richer, but adds no fat to it. Just something to think about if DH has a problem switching. I took DH down from whole milk, to 2%, then to 1% then to skim. He is fine with it now.

I scanned through that link you posted and bookmarked it so I can go back and read it more thoroughly. Also, at the bottom of that article was a link to an article saying that 2 large meals are better for a diabetic than the 6 small ones that are often recommended. The thing that caught my attention was that they were referring to eating breakfast and lunch as your 2 meals. No dinner. That is how I ate for years, and maintained my weight at 135. 20 years or more. Here was my reasoning. I worked daylight, and needed the most energy throughout the day. I tended to be more sedentary in the evening, and didn't really need evening calories as much. I slept much better going to bed on an empty stomach. Most IF recommends skipping breakfast and holding off your first meal as long as you can. I am such a breakfast eater and have always been, and therefore I failed at that. Now I feel so much better knowing that my preferred way of eating is recommended. Yay! I'm villified! Ha Ha I am going to try to go back to that. DH is the reason I went back to eating dinner, but now that we are retired, we eat dinner between 3 and 4 PM, so that would work. I now sleep later than I did when I worked, so I could still eat my breakfast, later than it used to be, and then have my second meal at 3-4. I have never known anyone who did IF who did their eating early in the day rather than later.

Also, at the end of the second article was a link to another good one! Bookmarked them all!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #329  

Carol Sue I think the reason a lot IF eaters eat later in the day is to cover their evening snacks. I read of one woman who didn't eat until around 5pm so she could have her night time snacks.

Actually my bp was up when at the doctors office. Never know why except that it was so cold in the office that I kept shaking. He didn't worry about it though just told me to keep an eye on it. I think it was because I told him how low it has gone at times.

I will check out the other articles you saw. I didn't have much time to read a lot yesterday. I have bookmarked several things I want to read.

I'll share real quick something funny with my doctor. I told him I was pretty much following Paleo which I feel is similar to the old WW Core plan. I told him it sees that the more veggies I eat the lower the bs and I might could do away with the diabetes if I would go vegetarian, but I told him I just am not a vegetarian person because I like meat too much. I told him I like some vegetarian foods but not all the time. He laughed and said "I can be vegetarian for a day, but no more". He told me he goes to Hardee's one day a week and gets a nice thick hamburger and eats it at their doctors meetings. He feels like all his doctor friends who eat only healthy food are drooling as he eats his burger. He said you have to have a food you enjoy once in a while. I have to say though that he did look thinner to me. He isn't a big man any way.

I did eat within the IR 6 hr window yesterday. Weight was up a little but I wasn't surprised since I didn't take the fluid pill. On plan today. I like the 5:2 plan, but not ready to do that at this time. I did see on my FB CAD group that a woman is doing CAD with 5:2 Diet and is eating only 500 calories today. I asked her to let us know how it works out for her. I still might try that. I could just make 2 days a week a 500 calorie day, but I want to see how it works for her first. Like I said, I'm not ready for that right now.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #330  

Trish, if I were alone, doing 5:2 would be easier for me. As it is, I would not be able to do it on scheduled days. I never know ahead of time what/where DH is going to want to eat, and I pretty much go along with him on that. There are so many places that have meal salads that I like, it's always easy for me to choose them because I really enjoy them, not just because they are salads. They are not necessarily low calorie, but relatively low carb and I don't get a BG spike from them. I just have to make myself say "Hold the garlic bread, please." I love to dip my garlic bread in my ranch dressing.

I understand about people wanting to be able to fit in their night time snacks, but for me, the whole idea is making a lifestyle change, and eliminating night time snacking is a big part of that. Do you know what I mean? I want to be able to see my DH eating a bowl of potato chips with dip and not want any. I want to eliminate the habits that got me here in the first place. I don't want to be thinking, "I didn't eat much all day so I can have this or that."

I also understand about your doctor having that hamburger once in a while and eating something you really enjoy. It's the 80/20 we always talk about. For me it wouldn't be a hamburger. I'm not sure what it would be. Probably a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I miss my pasta. I have it less than once a month, now. DH isn't crazy about it. People who are not diabetic only have to think about giving themselves a treat now and then. They don't have to worry about getting a BS spike from it. That's always on my mind.
Closed Thread