Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #121  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, so glad you got DH home for Christmas. How did it go with live in kids and grandkids? have the been supportive of Dad?
My weight is up a tad, and fbs as well. Did well with carbs, having a few treats throughout the day, but the big treat was the brandy, wine, amurula liqueur.
The desserts were well received, the food all got done on time and we managed to have every thing ready at the same time. Soup was liked by all.
So no complaints on my part.
Got thoughtful and lovely gifts, Dad doing well, enjoyed the mass I took him to on Christmas eve. Today, going for a trail walk in a bit with the dog. Even before New Years, I am resolving to walk more.
Quiet day today, but flank steak is stuffed, rolled and placed in slow cooker. Also cooked beans in the turkey broth, gonna make baked beans for the family.
Have a happy day, and get out into the sun!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad - Yes the kids were very supportive with DH in the hospital. DD was allowed to leave school early Thursday for the procedure and then the docs changed it to Friday. She didn't have school Friday so was able to be with me. SIL had taken off Thursday as well, but had to work Friday. Glad you were able to be with your Dad. Do you know anything about the IVC filter? I read some bad things about it online, but I it was an older article in 2005. The newer articles I found were more favorable as it seems the newer types are better. I just hope we did the right thing, but felt it was the only thing we could do.

Rie - I know how frustrating it is when people seem to know how we need to eat. I like to think they mean well even though it is irratating.

Ruthie - You did great through the holidays. I'm so proud of you. Yes we are in the recovery stage with DH and he is pretty weak. The nurse told him that he didn't get sick over night and it will take him a few weeks to start getting his strength back.

We did have a nice Christmas. The baby has a cold and didn't feel very well, but about half way through his Mom helping him open his presents he kind of got the hang of it and really did like his toys.

My weight was up a little more this morning because of the salt I've eaten this past week. I never measure when starting lc, but I did this morning and will weigh and measure each Monday. I even bought a new notebook for a new start. This morning I got right back on WW/LC I was doing before the holidays instead of the SBD and have done very well. It has been really easy getting back OP. You would have thought all the walking I did last week would have helped keep my weight down. Oh well, that is the way I always do. FBS was up a bit too. But I am happy with the fact that I only ate off plan for one day. All the left overs are in the kids fridge... out of sight/out of mind.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 12-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick note: I will not be on here in the morning as I will be floating the Big Horn River hoping for trout on my line..... I can't wait.

Mad, I am glad you enjoyed the holiday. It sounds lovely.

Trish, I am happy that the kids are stepping up. All the goodies are packed away here, also.... Later.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #124  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sounds like we all survived the feeding frenzy pretty much unscathed. It's so great to read about family Christmases.

My house and fridge are now purified. The rest of the meatballs went into dog food last night although I did freeze the chicken/ginger ones in single meal portions. Now to figure out what to do with the leftover bottles of champagne. "Do NOT put them in the fridge, Ruthie!"

BGL was 5.1 this morning - a tad high after a low carb supper but . Weight is going down again PTL - 179.2. Today I plan to take my measurements. I still can't believe that losing 25 pounds could take me from 20/22 pants to size 14! That's Sears Tradition sizing which I suspect is a bit generous but still ...

On the list today is shopping for greens - I am craving crispy salads.

On we go!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #125  

Ruthie - I too am hungry for salads and bought salad stuff including greens. I agree we all came through the holiday eating pretty good. I only gained 5 lbs of the 12 or 13 lbs I had lost recently. I should be able to get that off before Docs appt Jan 25th and maybe a little more. You probably lost a lot of inches with that 25 lb loss which helped you get to the size 14 pants. That's why I measured this time so I could see how I do inch wise. Also because the last time I ordered pants, I was surprised that I wore a size smaller than I thought. Guess that's why they say the measuring tape is lcarbers best friend. lol

Got up this morning and decided to try eating half a serving of oatmeal with my fruit and yogurt in it and little DGS came running to me. I told him I was making me some oatmeal and asked him if he wanted some oatmeal with blueberries and yogurt and he ran to his high chair confirming he did. Pretty smart at 20 mos. I fed him what I had made while mine was cooking in the microwave. I had not gotten around to checking BGL and forgot to check it before I ate. So not sure what mine was this morning. I had planned to check it before I ate so I could check it 2 hrs later to see how I would react to half serving. Remember a full serving makes my blood sugar skyrocket. So guess I'll have to do it again tomorrow. Since I do well with steel cut oats which is made with only 1/4 c oats, I thought maybe my body could handle 1/4 c of old fashioned oats as well. We had to leave to take DH to docs for blood work for the coumadin and I have to say that I actually felt really good and never got a reaction as far as feeling bad. So hopefully I can eat it. My Mama's family all had high cholesterol except her, because she controlled it with oatmeal. I remember her saying that she never thought about cancer. Maybe she would have eaten more fruits and veggies if she had realized how they might have warded that off as well. I try to learn from her situation to protect myself from both. Hopefully, it will work.

Well, I hear my little eating partner so he is awake. I am trying to teach him as little as he is to eat healthy foods. His Mom and I tried that with his sister, but it didn't work. I think the difference will be that we are not keeping sweets etc from him like we did her. So maybe he won't crave them when he is older because he will have eaten them in moderation.

Rie - The family still does things I don't necessarily like, but I have to say that when I was having to go to the hospital so much DD did a great job of keeping things really clean. Plus she is very helpful with getting her Daddy to do things that I as wife and caregiver can't. So I've decided that the good out ways the bad. I am thankful they are here. Having the kids here is also very good for him. I'm learning how to compromise where I can and speak up when I need to.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #126  

Hello All!

I had a lovely day on the river. bs was stable all day and I sure enjoyed fishing. I caught seven fish and also brought some home that were caught by the others. They are cleaned and in Mom's freezer because we can't cook them for a couple days.

I just want to share that I was so amazed at how easily I could move around today. In and out of the boat, up and down the river banks, I just went where I wanted.... It has been a long time. Such a great feeling.

I have a busy couple of days, including oral surgery on Thursday. They don't want me to take anything by mouth before the procedure. They said I could take my diabetes meds with just a sip of water. But, I thing I will skip them until I can eat something. I don't want to risk a low..... What do you guys think?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #127  
Come on Spring!

Rie, I worked outside in the cold for a while yesterday afternoon and was also surprised at how well I did. I was shifting heavy stuff into the barn and didn't need to call for "muscle" help. (I think I'd skip the meds on oral surgery day.)

Been taking it pretty easy since Christmas Day - I think the stress of the horrible drive home through the blizzard sort of "knocked the stuffing out of me" as they say in these parts. I even had afternoon naps two days.

Back to normal today though. I have a Chinese dinner party tonight which will be a challenge although I am prepared for the water weight gain overnight. Too bad it goes on so fast and takes so long to leave.

FBGL was 3/1 this morning - a tad low. I am going to eat a healthy breakfast very shortly - maybe quick oatmeal now that I know it's OK. I do have steel cut oats but need to get more organized to cook them. Overnight in the crockpot?

Happy Hump Day!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #128  
Madeleine

Rie, depends on the med. Metformin is ok, but can be hard on an empty stomach, but won't cause a low. But also expect you won't be eating much. (atkins shakes afterward? ensure, or other shakes?)
Had an all nighter yesterday, and lost it on the low carb due to poor planning. Gotta get it together on those occasions. Got on the treadmill for a few minutes this morning, but time to hop in the shower and get ready for work.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #129  

Good Morning!

fbs at a solid 81 this morning. I overslept and didn't have time to work out. Probably ok, I needed some sleep and I was pleasantly exhausted last night. Oh well, I have a really busy day today, including pool league tonight. My management team holiday celebration is today.... steak fondue. Way too many calories but absolutely low carb. I will just make it the main meal of the day and eat sparingly.

Mad, thanks for the advice on the meds. I think I will skip them and then take the metformin afterward with a smoothie. I make pretty good ones with yogurt. I made some rich beef broth last night and put it in the fridge for myself. I hear you on the planning part. I always carry wonderslim bars in my purse. More processed than I like but really good and more low carb than many others. It took me a long time to learn that I had to always carry something with me. Maybe single serve nut packages? I am sure that you need energy during those long nights.

Ruth, the feeling of getting stronger is really good I am glad that you feel better. And, tis the season for resting and preparing for the new year. I get confused about the steel cut oats. When I look at the carbs per serving, they seem higher than the instant package kind I haven't been eating oatmeal for a while, although it used to be a staple. Would be interested to hear about the steel cut oats cooking and nutrition. My morning carbs these days are fiber one and an apple.

Maybe as we head into the new year we could share some "typical meals" with each other?

I'll start: my breakfast every day is 1/2c original fiber one cereal with 1/2c unsweetened almond milk, one apple-sliced and cored with peeling on, and 2 tbs Peanut Butter 2. I am a true creature of habit and eat the same thing every day

Trish, are you getting any protein in the yogurt? When I used to eat oatmeal, the only thing that mattered were portion control and adding a protein source. I think it is great that you are teaching the little guy about good nutrition. My little gs loves cucumbers, fruit, yogurt... I think he has his mom's metabolism and build. Her entire family was small and slim. Gs is a natural grazer, preferring lots of little mini meals all day and struggles with regular "suppers". Of course, we have been providing him with a diet of good foods since he was two.

I hope everything is good with our other friends. I know that Carol is recovering well and I hope that Bonnie is doing well with the move. Mare? are you still out there? Sorry for anyone that I missed. Later...

Rie
Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #130  

I've had difficulty getting on here to post. I'm wondering if it is my computer.

Rie - I agree with Mad to hold off on the meds especially if it is Metformin. I've never had a problem with it on an empty stomach but I have only taken it that way a few times by accident. Yes, I do get plenty of protein in yogurt with my oats.

Ruthie - I think I would be more than stressed if I had to drive in a blizzard. You are one awesome lady. I'm sure you will do well with the Chinese dinner.

Fatmad - I'm sure you will get things together with the eating. Hope all is going well for you today.

I'm pleased to say that I got the 5 lb gain off and am back down to the 12 lb loss I had before DH went into the hospital and my FBGL was 116 mg this morning as well. So all is good with my woe.

Had to take DH to the doctor today. The nurse called and said the doctor wanted to see him for a followup from the hospital. Our primary is out on vacation so we saw one of his associates. He is a very good doctor... very informative. He said that DH PT/INR was 6 which is high so now he has to come off the coumadin and the Lovenox he was on to get it to come back down. He will have to go to the hospital lab as an out patient to have it checked for at least Thursday and Friday and maybe more. We see our doctor next Wednesday. The doctor thinks that Tony's problem is caused by a gene. He has a situation which the blood doctor had told us about a year ago. It is hereditary and his 2 children need to be tested for it. I'm not sure about the filter we had put in as this doctor says that a clot can get through it. We have the name of the doctor who removes them to see if we really need to keep it.

Bonnie - I know you are busy packing for your move. Sure hope everything is going good for you.

I think I saw some newbies here so I need to go back and read what I've missed the last week or so. If I'm right, I want to welcome you here. This is a great support group who has really help me a lot.

Everybody have a great Wednesday!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #131  
Madeleine

well, I seem to be coming down with a cold or something, sugars are high, 6.1 fasting! even tho eating low carb, and headache. Was planning to go to yoga, but took a tylenol and slept for 1.5 hours instead and feeling a bit better. Will do something at home instead I think. Just don't feel like going out or driving or anything right now.

Glad folks are doing ok. Bonnie's move is keeping her busy, hope by the New Year she feels settled. see you all later
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #132  
Come on Spring!

Sorry about the colds and post-holiday draggies. I'm a bit sniffly this morning but it may be cat allergies - my hosts last night have three cats.

Weight was up 2 pounds from the Chinese food so today will be greens and water because I need to be at another dinner party tonight. Please send me willpower vibes!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #133  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey how is everyone doing?? I jest got a min to pop in here and see how everyone id doing. I am doing good we spent the night at the aunts house last night and now I am trying to finish moving and put stuff away.. I will be back here sooon
Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #134  

Ruthie - /fibes coming your way. LOL Hope you and Fatmad get over your colds really soon.

Bonnie - Sounds like your move is coming along pretty well.

Staying OP. Got word from Doc's office that DH has to go to have blood drawn at the hospital Saturday as well. INR# is slowly coming down and they want to keep an eye on him. Can't give him Vitamin K because they're afraid it would go to low.

Have a good evening.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #135  

Hello Friends.

Just a quick hello. I came through the procedure with ease although it took longer than anticipated. Happy to report that my bs has been a solid 80 - 85 all day. I have been checking it every two hours per dr recommendations. I took my meds and drank a wonderslim shake when I arrived home. It seems like every time something like this comes up - it is an opportunity for me to learn more about how my body reacts. Learning is good and increases my confidence.

I am here trying to distract myself because the initial novacaine has worn off and the pain meds are giving me about 2 1/2 hours of relief. I can't take more till the 4 hour mark. I am taking ultram, one of the only pain meds that doesn't make me sick. Dr told me to call in in the morning and maybe we can try something else. He was so kind to me.... I will recommend him to others. I will have to wait two weeks to get stitches removed but I am hoping to be well and back to work on Tuesday.

Trish, that is a lot of running around but it sounds like dh is getting really good care.

Bonnie. How great to hear from you! So glad that you are at the end of it and working out the detail stuff now. I am impressed! That was fast. I will look forward to hearing from you regularly again soon.

Ruthie, will power vibes heading your way. Do you ever eat a giant bowl of greens before you attend a function like that? Sometimes it helps me....

Mad, take good care of yourself. Try to get some rest.

Well, this is all for me... Gotta go.

Rie
Closed Thread