Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

fbs at 84 this morning depite a restless night. Ds experimented with a new friend that I loved: oven roasted jicama. Relatively low carb and tasted really good roasted with a little olive oil.

I had an enjoyable day yesterday as I just rested and tried to put the upcomming week aside. I was feeling stressed and doing the "what if" dance in my head so I went to my room and actually accomplished a few minutes of meditation.

Ruth, it is sure helpful to plan the menu for the week with the special events in mind. Good luck this week and I hope that you appetite stabilizes.

Bonnie, wow, lots of work but it sounds like you are making progress.

Trish, I agree that it is better to distribute carbs in small amounts through the day. In the end, whatever plan you can live with is the best for you.

Mad, when does your dd come home? Did I miss that? I looked up your recipe and printed a copy for myself. It looks yummy! I will try it.

Sorry for anyone that I am missing. Must get on with the day.

Rie
Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Sorry another flybyHello. Besides having all the kids and things to do for them, DH has been sick all week end. I called doc office this morning and got an appointment this afternoon. So getting ready to go and find out what is going on with him. I pray it is something simple. Weight is same as last week which is good. No weight gain is good. FBS was back down in 120s so that is good too. Will try to get back and read later and do indies.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #93  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone, Got out for my walk yesterday, and had a neighbours holiday gathering, met some new neighbours and their kids, and the ones who moved away came for a visit too. Was lovely, and did a bit better with food. Stayed on track in spite of getting up at 5 for a delivery. Had an atkins bar with tea on the way and had a proper breakfast and lunch and snack today. Now I need a healthy supper and maybe a little walk.
Just a couple of days more for work then a 5 day break. Hoping to be busy.
Hellos to all. I too should make some meal plans for the next little while. Ruth needs to do it to remember to eat well, and for me, not to over eat.
Less than a week til Christmas chickies.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #94  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, it's definitely the Victoza that's killing my appetite. I "forgot" to take it yesterday and was ravenous. I did OK at my planned meals but fell into a bag of bits and bites after dinner. FBGL was up a bit this morning and I managed to "forget" to weigh. Today I will cut the dosage a bit and see if that normalizes things.

Holiday menus are killers, Chickies! I think they should call this season "Carbmas." I gave my pharmacist heck yesterday because he had a tray of fudge and shortbread on his counter to offer to all clients. I would estimate that over half the population of Delta over 50 is diabetic and accused him of trying to poop up his insulin sales.

I am prepping food for my Eve party and certainly will have lots of veggies and other low carb things like SBD Taco Bake and pork balls with peanut sauce. Wee tomatoes stuffed with feta and black olives is another item on the list except it's very last minute because of the salt. I'm also stuffing prunes with cheese and wrapping in spicy Calabrese salami - they were a big hit last year. My theory is that you can eat anything if it's stuffed into a prune. Figs would be good too.

I'm breakfasting on lovely Florida citrus these days and have my day's menu planned again. I have a corned beef in the crockpot already and may have some of it for dinner with cabbage - back to me Irish roots! The rest goes into "Reuben" canapes for the party if I can find small round rye crackers when I do the "Big Shop" on Thursday.

On with the day and hoping it's temptation-free. I need to strengthen my resistance muscle.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #95  

DH is in the hospital. He has some small clots in lower part of the right lung. They are talking about going to a filter which is supposed to dissolve the clots before they get into the blood system which would mean that he would be able to come off the coumidun. They are also investigating why his stomach is so bloated. He is basically a thin man and doesn't eat much because he feels full all the time. I just hope they get answers and can treat it and he will be able to be himself again.

Staying OP as much as possible although yesterday was a very carby as not to much to choose from in vending machines. Catch y'all again as soon as I can.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Rie, I am so impressed with your fbs! I can never get my morning ones down very low - well they are 90-100, but I'd like to be in the 80's.

I am working on keeping my daily carbs around 50 grams each day this week to see if that helps me feel better. Eating lost of nuts - walnuts, brazil nuts, and almonds. I think I may be slightly allergic to either the walnuts or brazil nuts as my tongue is raw after doing this for 3 days. Today I am only doing the almonds as I am relatively sure I am okay with them, been eating them forever. Will see if it is better tomorrow.

Hope everyone is getting through this week okay. Stress hit me bad last night! I am getting some walking in so that should make me feel better.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #97  

Hello Chickies...

fbs at 79 this morning and I returned to a full hour of walkitout for the first time in a week. It felt good. I had a dentist appointment this morning - I am a terrible phobic and require meds to do it. But, I am past it and looking forward to spending the day resting and taking care of myself. I have a small batch of goodies that I promised to a friend tomorrow and I will be cooking fresh trout for my family this evening. They were caught just a couple days ago.

My breakfast was fiber cereal and flax seed with a little unsweetened almond milk. Lunch is currently some warm chicken broth. I plan to add an apple and perhaps a protein shake if I am still hungry. My unexplained weight gain is rapidly dropping so I feel more confident.

Ruth, it sounds like the victoza works for you.

Trish, so sorry about dh. Keep us posted, ok?

Connie, be careful with the nuts. I used to get the burning mouth and then suddenly got the throat swelling shock one day. Dangerous.

Fatmad, you did a great job of managing your food and taking care of yourself during a delivery. And getting in some walking, too, I am impressed.

I will try to check back later today.

Rie
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #98  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Default Ltns!

Hi everyone! Checking in after a long time away. All is well here--way too busy though. Weight loss is progressing rather slowly since it is too cool to swim the past couple of months and I discovered low carb ice cream bars I need to squeeze my butt onto a bicycle until swimming season again. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the program.

A1C last week...Drumroll...5.3! Doc decreased my Amaryl dosage by ½ and did another happy dance. Now I have to re-consider those heavenly low carb ice cream bars.

No mashed potatoes or stuffing consumed over Thanksgiving. No turkey either. My mother fell and broke her back the day before Thanksgiving, a few hours before they were scheduled to drive over to our house. So, we packed up and drove across the state. Mom is out of rehab now and planning a second attempt to visit for the holidays. Her 80th birthday is Dec. 28.

Glad to see so many familiar faces here! Best wishes to all for good health and happiness in 2012! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #99  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, hope DH does ok. Sounds worrisome, glad he is in caring hands.
Went shopping with my own DH and all gifts are done now, except his. Will get that Thursday am when I am off work and he is hoping to go skiing.
Trying to do some stretching this evening while watching TV. Blah.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #100  
Come on Spring!

Cutting the V. worked and I was more enthused about food yesterday. One deviation though as my young friend, Sierra, brought me a tin of Christmas goodies she had made and I did indulge a bit.

Today's challenge? The Christmas lunch at the Clinic where I do pet therapy. It'll be the usual full dinner but I'm hoping I can help with the serving and make my own plate relatively healthy. I'll have veggie soup for supper!

Hey! It's the 21st and the days start getting longer tomorrow. we're over the hump of dark mornings!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #101  

Hello All,

fbs at 80 this morning and I did 45 minutes of old school low impact aerobics. My weight loss has really stalled and I was thinking that maybe my body had accustomed to my usual routines I purchased a scale and will be checking in daily to see if I can spot some trends. I know that my darned SLOW digestion (sorry tmi) is not helping things.

Last night I cooked a dinner of fresh trout for my folks, accompanied by a plain baked potato and some steam fresh veggies. It was really good. I snitched a couple pieces of chocolate and still managed to come in well under calorie and carb goals. Onward...

Ruth, I hope you find some balance with the victoza and enjoy the lunch today.

Fatmad, good for you on getting all your shopping done. We don't have pool tonight so I will probably spend it wrapping gifts.

Trish, worrisome about dh but I am glad that he is actually in the hospital instead of muddling on at home. Prayers headed your way.

Floriduh, nice to hear from you and what great results! YaY! I hope your mom gets better fast...

Well, I will check back in this evening...

Rie
Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #102  
Come on Spring!

Did OK yesterday at the luncheon and managed to avoid all "treats". I think the meal was a tad salty though as the scale is up a bit today. Digestion is a bit "slow" which may account for the blip. My appetite has returned although not in full mode! Reducing the V. helped.

Today's challenge is a birthday dinner for Eric who turns ten. He has chosen spaghetti and meat sauce for his BD menu for years but is now into experimenting with different foods. He has chosen cheese fondue! Should be an interesting meal as he wants to dip pieces of hot dog and olives in it! His Mum has persuaded him to include veggies for those of us with different tastes and is including a salad.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #103  

I quick check in. Waited all day yesterday to see stomach doctor. He came in last night and say Tony has IBS and lots of air in belly, but nothing life threatening. He did say that he has the same thing without the bloating. He did tell me that he begs people to take Metamucil because the fiber has helped him keep his under control. I read benefits of Metamucil and have decided that not only will he be using it, but I can use it and do LC.

He has surgery sometime this afternoon to put the mesh filter in place. He will have to continue the coumadin to prevent clots in legs and also they say that when a clot is filtered that little ones can go around in smaller viens so they feel since DH has no problems taking it that it is better for him to do so.

Weight is doing good. I've lost another lb and it seems to be staying off. So will change ticker when I have time. Things to do before I have to head out to hospital.

Y'all have a great Thursday.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #104  

Hello Friends

Just a quick check in here. I am hoping to get some things resoved (until after the holiday) today at work. I have been so stressed and I am struggling with feeling resentful that it has been taking the edge off my holiday enjoyment. I plan to get myself together by the end of today and get back on track.

fbs was at 75 this morning and I did 70 minutes of walkitout. I have indulged here and there in a few tastes but I have been practicing moderation. Sorry, tmi, I can't seem to get my digestion going. I have added whole flax seeds and lots of water.

Most of the unexplained weight gain is still with me and I bought a scale for my house so I can get a better handle on it. I will change my ticker tomorrow.

Sorry I have no time for personals this morning. I will try to get back on here - if I can get the 3fc site to work. It seems the "script error" issues are back.

Rie
Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #105  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I feel I can join in now. I had my first appt with the CDE. I like her. I did take the advice of those of you who told me to get the meter. I learned to use it this morning. My reading was 160. I had not eaten anything just so I'd know what an empty stomach might read. I took another reading 2 hrs after eating a meal.

I'm a bit confused about something. One piece of work tells me to take the 2nd reading 2 hrs after first STARTING a meal and another piece tells me to take it 2 hours AFTER eating. Is there a big difference? I get it that if it is a long meal, 2 hours after starting may be too short.

I guess I'll save those questions for the next meeting unless you have advice.

It will take me a while to learn what all these terms are that you are using.

My finger hurts. My meter is the 1 touch with the delica pokey things. In fact, I think I'll name the meter Pokey.

I was so frustrated over the weekend. I was online learning about all these exchanges. I couldn't find anything telling me how much I should be eating and what exchange works for what. After a couple of hours, I just told Bob that I prefer to go ahead and die. It is easier than trying to figure out all this crap. Turns out I won't be doing that. I'll be trying to limit my daily carbs to around 120. That is so much easier.

We are looking forward to taking the classes. Bob will be joining me since he does most of the cooking. Hopefully we can get into the ones on Jan 4 & 5.

I'm sure I'll be in here asking stupid questions soon.
Closed Thread