Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All

I had a great day calorie and carb wise so I am enjoying a relaxing glass of wine this evening. Tomorrow I will finish up some goodies that I want to give for gifts, wrap presents, and straighten up the house a little. My mom, dad, and gs will go with me tomorrow evening to drive around and look at christmas lights around town. It is a tradition that we enjoy.

I have really been trying to cut back the calories, especially early in the day. My weight loss is solidly stalled. But, I guess that is ok for this time of year.

Mare, I am glad that the appointment went well. Have you tried testing on your arm? or on the little pad between thumb and index finger? I have sensitive fingers and like to use alternative sites. Testing should happen before and after meals at any time. The whole point of testing is to learn how YOUR body reacts to different foods. I am glad that you feel that you can post with us. Whatever we can do to support you - we are here.

Trish, hope things are going well with dh.

Ruth, good job on making it through the luncheon without treats!

Mad, I am hoping that you are enjoying dd visit and the last minutes before the holiday.

Everyone else, have a great day

Rie[/COLOR]
Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #107  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quickie again after yet another early rising. I get up for the bathroom and then the brain turns on for the day and I decide to get up. Just as well today as I am way overbooked!

The birthday dinner was just fine. I was able to avoid the wieners and pepperoni and confined myself to one piece of bread and lots of veggies. If course the cheese fondue was probably pretty high fat and it certainly was salty! Dessert was an absolutely horrible cake - some Rachael Ray concoction with confetti cake mix and purple icing. I ate a very small part of a very small piece since "You have to eat birthday cake, Cousin Ruthie!" BGL was 4.5 this morning so no real damage.

Today's meals are all under my control - I just need to remember to eat them! I never thought I'd be looking at food as medicine to keep my BGL stable but ...

Time for breakfast. Happy Friday!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #108  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

morning...

rie....it's a pen like byetta. yes, it helps with my appetite. sorry it took so long to get back to you.

i have had the grands this week. 11 and 8 girls. the other grandma took vacation. so i have them through the holidays. i just type a nice post and lost it. so going to end this here.

have a very Merry Christmas ladies.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #109  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi ladies well I figured before I do any packing this morning that I will stop in and see how things are going. I dont have too much more to pack alot of odds and ends. we have been moving things as we go up their .I have jest sent 7 baskets of my clothing to good will I have had the stuff for years and I have never worn most of it I didnt figure I needed it alot of them were out dated so . Dont seem like christmas is only 2 days away. Everyone here has decided to put christmas on hold since money is so tight I couldnt even afford to buy them a small present so when we get moved we promised we would go buy them the one thing they wanted for christmas Ipod touch both of the girls want one so the hubby told them we would get it after we move and they are all for it.. I still been so busy not working out . I need to get back into eating better but with moving and all we dont have alot here. It will come though...
Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #110  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

mare: welcome, don't be too scared. Carb counting gets easier with time. Also, a book like "diabetes for dummies" is helpful. I find we get better with time on the finger pokes. Avoid the finger pads, go for the sides, and the 4th and pinkie fingers are best. Its hardest in the beginning, because you should test a lot, to see which foods really make your sugars spike. Then you know what to avoid.
The reason for testing 2 hours from the beginning of the meal, is that starting to eat should trigger insulin release, so you are really testing your insulin response. The main thing is to be consistent though, however you are testing.
After a few weeks, for frequent testing, I started testing once or twice a day, keeping track with a chart so that over 1 week I tested at all the usual times, and looked for trends. Now I test a couple of times a week. My A1Cs are at 5.7 now, so I am in generally good control now.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #111  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hey all, just a flyby. Had an all nighter the other day for work, all well and healthy babies, but have been catching up on sleep and getting ready for company this week. DD came home last night and my Dad arrived today in time for supper, and I made ham and scalloped potatoes, with salad. Found that it is really hard to aportion things like scalloped potatoes. after slicing a medium potatoe, I figured out how it spread in the pan to be able to note my serving size. No wonder I am fat. That medium potato seems like a very small serving on my plate. I would have had 3 or more "servings" in the old days. I filled up on salad tonight.
Making soup tonight for lunch tmw, having tourtiere for supper tmw night (I am French-Canadian) so no low carb for me for a few days. Am measuring servings instead.
Bonnie, have a good move. Glad your kids are being so good about the move, and understanding about gifts etc.
have a good day everyone, keep checking in to support each other this weekend!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #112  
Come on Spring!

Up early and about to leap into my day but want to wish us all a
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #113  
someday 145

mare....it gets easier. i just count carbs. i was told to count carbs, calories, and exchanges. i want "i can do this every day" life changing. i just can't count all that stuff every day. not happening. i see your from the bay area. i was born and raised in pleasant hill. left when i was 18.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #114  
someday 145

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #115  

Hello Everyone!

fbs at 72 this morning and I had my usual breakfast and worked out for 90 minutes. I feel good. Ds and gds just left to spend the day/evening with my ex's family so I have the house to myself. Having dinner out this evening with my family (those of us without children go out to dinner each year on Chrismas eve) I am looking forward to it. I am having shrimp, baked potato and salad. I am making creme brule and a rich chocolate torte for the extended family gathering tomorrow. I plan to celebrate the season and enjoy small portions.

Mare, I feel very lucky because I was initially told to eat 1 carb serving per meal and to increase green leafy veggies as a starting point. The only other thing they told me in the first 3 months was learning portion control. So helpful! Remember that this is a lifestyle change and you CAN do it!

Chipper, I agree, it is so overwhelming at first. I only recently started counting calories and other nutrients. My A1c stays in the low 5's so I think bs control is good but now I want to lose more weight.

Mad, glad for healthy babies and mommas! Like you, I will be trying to watch portion control and enjoy the weekend. I will be checking in to get and give support.

Ruth, thanks for all your work as a moderator! I'm not sure what I would have done without finding this site!

Bonnie, I hope the move is going well. You sure have good kids!

I know that I am missing people but I must get moving. So....

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #116  

Merry Christmas!

Plan for today: Eat a little, Drink a little and.....

Be Very Merry!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #117  
Come on Spring!

Happy First Day Of Christmas and may the partridge in your pear tree be fat-free, low-carb and absolutely delicious!
(So far I have not eaten even one Christmas cookie!)
Old 12-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie - You are sooooo good. I had a planned day off plan and ate exactly what I had planned to eat today. So it was a good day.

Christmas was better than we expected as the doc decided that DH could home last night because he can give himself the shots as he gets back on coumadin. I brought him home last night around 7ish. Still has some breathing problems when too active/too fast, but I understand this should improve in time.

I gained only a few lbs this week eating at the hospital. Strange is there wasn't much to choose from that was low carb. Getting right back OP tomorrow morning because I have 3 weeks before I go to the doctor. They put DH on a diabetic diet so we will be doing this together which will be good although I intend to do lower carb than he probably will. Still using WW/LC, but may do more of a South Beach way of doing the lc.

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas Day!!! Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #119  
Come on Spring!

Patty, I'm so glad you had your DH home for Christmas. Now recovery begins.

I was "good" for dinner at my son's in-laws last night. His MIL really is not a great cook but I appreciate that they fold me into their family for celebrations. She made a special dessert "just for Jim's Mother" which was pretty terrible but I was polite and ate it. It was some Jello, Dream Whip and graham cracker delight. I'll spend the next three days in de-tox from the chemicals!

Faced the scale this morning - 179.8. Luckily I'm back in the 170's. (I was scared for a while there seeing 180+) BGL ran a tad high over the holiday but is a nice steady 4.3 this morning.

Two dinner parties this week plus NY's Eve but I'm feeling strong.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and indulged in moderation.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #120  

Hello Everyone!

fbs at 83 this morning and I did 90+ minutes of walkitout. On-plan breakfast and here I go..... This morning I am weighing one pound higher than yesterday but still up from where it was prior to my knee injury. I am changing my ticker. Bummer.

I am going to pack up the remaining Christmas goodies so they will not be in the house. I sure enjoyed the last couple days with my family but now is time to really hit it on the weight loss.

Trish, I am so glad that your dh was able to come home and that he is recovering.

Ruth, good job on the dinner. Isn't it funny what people think we "should eat?" My mom gave me a fat free cookbook for christmas. Of course, that wasn't my only gift from her but I sometimes grow weary of trying to explain carbohydrates.....

I hope that everyone else had a wonderful holiday. Talk to you later....

Rie
Closed Thread