Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I got up this morning with a whole new attitude and hope I can keep it. I was so lost with it being just DH and me living here in SC without any family. I was upset at one point that our little almot 16 month old would grow up not know his Grandad and me. I decided that while we do have differences in how we do things that the relationship with the kids is more important. I personally have kids and grandkids in different parts of the country and don't get to see them often. I am so blessed that Tony's daughter loves me like a Mom and I feel honored by the fact that she wants her children to be close to her Daddy and me. The time we will have living together will be a year or a little longer while she goes to nursing school and I want it to be a very special time for us all to get closer. So I'm going to choose to enjoy this time we have together and count it a blessing. Again, thanks for the kind words of encouragement.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #122  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Thanks Rie I thought I should up date that one was taken so long ago.

Well I don't know what is going on right now But I feel sad. I am so stressed out around here for some reason today everything is on my nerves. Someone can say something and I want to take their head off. My 16 year old is the worst she has bipolar and she hits it everytime. I jest feel like sitting down and have a good cry.

I don't get what in the world is wrong with the people in this house they act like they are starvin to death. Everyone of them we have went through 5 Doz eggs in less then two weeks and a jar of peanut butter and Jam in less then a week. I dont get it . What in the world are they thinking of . We have two weeks left and money is so tight I may not be able to buy grocries in the next week . I dont know what to do with them . I swear I need a vacation with out them they all stress me out so bad..

Sorry for the vent I figured this was better then going off on someone.
Butterfly So sorry you are having to go through this especially at this time when you are adjusting to the diabetes. Feel free to vent. We don't mind. This group is good about listening to each other and sometimes coming up with ideas to help like kjsspot had.

Honest to goodness when my kids were growing up I think they thought they had to eat all the food I bought for the week in one day. I only had enough money to buy from week to week and I had to finally limit what and how much they could have for snacks. May not work in your situation, but I just had to tell them that if they ran out before the week was out that was it until next week. When grandkids moved in, I bought snacks for them and told them they can have one a day of each thing I bought to make it last. The funny thing is they seem to have adjusted to it because I noticed that they aren't running through their snacks as fast. Hope your situation gets better.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #123  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
They are allowed to have a variance of about 10-20% from the lab values, LOL
Indeed, LOL! That little 20% difference could mean 5.8 or 6.64 for the HbA1C. I am looking forward to learning which one of my three glucose meters is closest to the lab value. I figure I can't go too wrong by using the one with the highest readings. Just like you, I had searched for reviews about the most accurate meters, finding nothing in the literature. That's when I found the 20% allowable variance--eesh! Along the same lines, I would be concerned about dosing insulin in the clinical setting knowing how inaccurate the meters can be.

Bonnie--hang in there! btw--love your new avatar!

Afternoon bs 105 (using the high meter), time for my afternoon swim, then stuffed flounder w/crab and steamed broccoli florets for Sunday dinner. Best wishes to all for a good evening.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #124  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks Everyone I like this picture better then the other. Well as for the Family I have told them when it is gone it is gone so you have made the choice to eat it all up so when you don't have anything you can blame yourself. I am feeling better took my pre dinner reading and it was 112 and I had a Chicken breast with lots of Broccoli and Cauliflower Was great.

Hubby came in here a little while ago and said he was feeling bad wanted me to read his levels so we tested him and he was 109 and he didn't tell me till after wards he had two pieces of cake a hour ago. I was like OMG. One more day and I get much needed quiet . I have the house to myself. The kids will be in school Oh YEAH. Hopefully this will help me out alot. I will have so much time to work out and not be bothered.

Thanks everyone for listening to me vent I am feeling much better now.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all,

I am still having really bad back spasms but I managed to avoid the ER. I have really good insurance but it still costs. I plan to head to the walk in clinic tomorrow. Bummer.

Bonnie, vent all you want or need to. That's what this forum is for I think it is great that you told your family that they are responsible for their own choices. Hopefully, the kids starting school soon will get rid of your "mom stress". I remember that I was feeling very stressed and overwhelmed after I was diagnosed. It doesn't sound like your dh is diabetic....

I was a struggling single parent when my boys were in their teens. I used to feel like they just ate til the food was gone. I think that limiting their snacks is a good idea.

Trish, glad that you are feeling more balanced. Your motives are reallly good and it is certainly a worthy cause. From one "granny in the house" to another, don't hesitate to vent or seek advice here. It is still a tough situation.

Kjsspot, I agree, my volatile sugars can affect my mood. The bread tip is a good one that I learned. Also, here we have "day old bread stores" where you can buy discounted bread.

I hope that everyone else has a really good evening. TTL

Rie
Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #126  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Happy Monday! fbs was...drumroll...88 this morning!

Rie--sorry to hear your back continues to bother you. I hope you get something to knock out those nasty spasms.

Best wishes to all who are sending the munchkins back to school today. Have a great day and excellent blood sugars!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #127  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It's so good to see people chatting away in this thread. I really just have time to pop in for a bit most mornings. My longer posts are over in the SBD Daily chat. Feel free to snoop.

Rie, I admire the way you are so positive although I know your back may be agonizing. Hang in there - you ARE winning. Just look at your ticker!

Bonnie, I really like your new picture. I also like "Butterfly" and think of you that way. I see you have some "me" time planned when the kids head back to school. Be sure to take it!

Patty, please do continue to pop in while you go through this major life re-shuffle.

Floriduh, I can't image dealing with three different meters. I've had my Freestyle for years but think it may be time for a new one.

Fatmad, isn't it nice to have a bit of a cool-down? Had dinner last night with Dr Bob who informed me I will never have a low on Victoza. I informed him that I had been having 2.7's and he looked stunned. He suggested I check with Dr Jack about ditching the glyburide and I will do it this week. By the way, Bob is very close to determining the genetic markers for obesity and just got another grant for a three year study. He was due to retire this year but it's not going to happen.

Well, I've been procrastinating long enough and insisting it's water weight but I changed the ticker this morning. I am going back to logging my food in fitday to see if I can get a good handle on the carb/protein/fat balance. I had pasta last night with two glasses of very good wine and the reading was 3(54) this morning. I refuse to go back up!

Have a controlled Monday, Chickies!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #128  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth: glad you are so determined, its a good thing. I agree with dr bob, its probably time to ditch the glyburide, especially with victoza doing good things for you. I don't like hearing about those lows either. The docs I know are mostly obstetricians and family docs who do OB. I am interested in the genetics of obesity, since I did not expect it to happen to me. I know some is more own fault, but don't doubt there is genetics involved. For some reason, I thought that since I take after Dad, the genetics on Mum's side wouldn't affect me much. (thats where the obesity and diabetes comes from though. My Mum's mother's family had it in spades, as well as all kinds of autoimmune disorders.)

Butterfly: I like your new pic too!

Today fbs was 5.4, did have a large high fibre snack before bed last night. Am not backed up anymore. Tummy feels much better. I am trying to figure out what to do. I think if I eat two triscuits with cheese at bed time, the serving is small enough (6 g carbs) and the fat in the cheese will slow down the sugar entering my system, that I may not have a spike. But may help the constipation. I will allow myself up to 25 g carbs a day to accommodate the extra, and hope I can still lose weight. So thats this weeks goal.

Its not a busy week for me, (neither was last week) so it will catch up time with paper work and stuff around the office and house. DD is finished work for the summer, and is packing stuff up for going off to university. I will soon be an empty nester.

ttfn friends,
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #129  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

I have a perscription for my test strips, believe it or not it is cheaper for me to get them with a perscription! I also have a script for my lancets, is that crazy or what?!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #130  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Fatmad, can you work ground flax into your plan? It sure works for me. It's 6 carbs per 2T. but full of other good stuff. Wasa Fibre Crackers are good too, more fibre but higher carbs.

As to obesity being genetic, I didn't think it was since both may parents were normal weight. However, looking at my mother's parents, they all have the Irish plumpness, Syndrome X, maybe? Interesting stuff but no excuse for not dealing with my own weight problem.

Edited to Add: Hi, Cajun. I have prescriptions for my supplies too although my Vctoza isn't covered my our Ontario Hospital Insurance Programme (OHIP).
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Good Morning all!

Fbs at n 91, probably because of a bad night sleep and I didn't have my snack last night. My back is worse today and I am waiting til I can get ahold of my dr office. Good thing I have 3fc to distract me

Cajun, I have prescriptions for all my supplies. It is required for insurance and flex plan although I can purchase them without the prescriptions. Even my Abbot.com membership is based on my prescription.

Fatmad, glad that things are moving. I take 3 fibercon tablets with my protein at breakfast daily. I also take a generic stool softener. I have been thinking about integrating flax seed. I like the nutty taste.

Floriduh, nice fbs! You go girl!

Bonnie, as I said, I really like the picture. You look softer and friendly in this picture.

Ruth, is glypuride the same as glipizide? I was on it at first and I had to come off after a couple of months because I was having a low almost every night. Don't worry about your ticker, you will be back under 180 in no time.

The question about genetic tendency to obesity is interesting. In my own family, we have obese people and thin people. They don't tend to go family by family but are all mixed up. I have an obese cousin in a thin family, etc. My earlier life was as a farmer and we raised livestock, mostly cattle. The whole science of raising animals is about picking the calves from the moms and dads who have the fastest/easiest gain rate, largest muscle size, etc. In these modern times, they even pick bulls who put the most marbling (fat in the muscle) in the loins and ribeyes. They use ultrasounds to test. This tendency, as well as average weight gain per day is absolutely genetically passed on.

We always fed the same way but some animals gain easier than others. We just really haven't figured this out in humans. I think that fat is one of the last areas where it is ok to descriminate and it is a health problem that is seen as completely within the person's control. However, we all know thin people who eat like crazy and never gain a pound.

Now, obviously I believe that I can lose weight and that it is within my control. But, I accept the fact that my body tends to hold on to weight. My dr jokingly tells me that if a famine comes, I will outlast them all. I just have hope that someday the research will get somewhere and there will be medications that will help people like us to help our bodies help us more.

Sorry about the long rant. I have been somewhat offended by the sanctimonious attitude of some of the thin people about my weight loss. I don't think they have an appreciation for the level of struggle that it takes to foil a body that desperately wants to hold on to every calorie. Obviously, I believe that I can (we all can) do this. It is just a little harder for some of us to get the job done. I hope that someday the science will do a better job of helping us.

Rie

Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #132  

A quick flyby just to check in. I'm back to counting my carbs. I'm not starting with induction or phase 1 of anything. Just going to keep the carbs around or below 45 grams. Y'all have inspired me. I decided kids start school today and it was time for a change for me. My rebellion to counting carbs has gone tooooooo llllooonnngggg.

Had a great fun time little GS this morning. So much fun to watch him learn and figure things out. It also keeps me active keeping up with him. I think I'm going to end up enjoying having him here.

I'll be back later to read and do individuals. Going with DH to his blood doc. Just follow up I think.

Have good day and I'll catch y'all later.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #133  
Bonnie

Good afternoon to everyone! This morning I was 112 must be a good number for me I have gotten it several times. So I waited 2 hours from the beginning of my meal and tested again and it was 136 I did their recommended diet to see how it would affect me . I ate

1 egg
1/4 Dry Old fashioned Cooked oats( Cooked them in 1/2 cup water added a couple shakes of cinnamon)
1 Slice of whole wheat Sara lee Bread
1/4 Cup canned Mandarine oranges ( Used 1/4 cup cause 1/2 was over the carb amount)
and a half tsp of parkay butter

So to all you experienced ones how does this sound. How do I know if I should not eat something? They never said anything like this in class. They jest say to test before breakfast and before dinner. On friday they gave us a ticket for lunch and they had fried fish or lasagna . So I did the Lasagna and a diet Dr Pepper they tested us two hours from when we left for lunch and I was only 130. Hopefully I will catch on soon.

Thanks everyone about my new profile picture the other one was taken a few years ago when we were working out in the yard. This new one is a day me and a friend took the kids all over down town and took pics of them. Thanks everyone for the compliments I like this one better too I was having a good day.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #134  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Butterfly I was told that no food was off limit, BUT, and there is always a but I should keep my carbs within the 15g portion/portion. I usually have 2 portions for breakfast(cereal/oatmeal is one and the milk is the other) and then the rest of my meals and snacks are just one carb. serving. This morning I had 1/2 cup fiber one with milk and one egg. Lunch was a salad with vinegar. 1 oz. roast and 1/2 cup corn. Snack was 1/2 orange and 6 almonds, if I get hungry (and I only eat when I am hungry) a couple of crackers with peanut butter, supper will be the same as lunch. I was told to NEVER eat a carb. without eating a protein, hence the 6 almonds. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #135  
Bonnie

CatholicCajun they told me at the nutrition class that I should only have 1 ounce protein for breakfast and 3 carbs ( a total of 45 grams) and a fat then for lunch and dinner is 3 ounces of Protein and 3 Carbs( a total of 45grams ) and a fat. For snacks they say 15 grams of carbs.

I check my levels before dinner and it was 93 that was the lowest one yet.
Closed Thread