Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #61  

Height: 5'2"

Rie: 113 is low for me because in the morning I am usually in the 140s, before trying to eat more healthy it was always in the 160s. My A1c is in the ok range as it was 6.5 last time. My Dr. does not seem to be concerned because my A1c is good, it just bothers me.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #62  

Docs have poor poor expectations when it comes to D. There's just so many out there that have NO clue about control that the Docs are just grateful when someone gives even a half hearted attempt. My morning are range from 120-150 but I'm not gonna be happy until I start seeing it below 100.

Meds are pretty much maxed out. Insulin has helped a LOT. Especially with energy. I've not had a problem with weight gain from it as I'm so much more active when I have energy.

I honestly believe the only thing that's gonna truly help me is weight loss. Cause my IR is so strong that I need 100 basal just to get the above numbers with absolutely NO threat of hypos. LoL So if I can lower this friggin IR than perhaps my meds can actually start working better.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #63  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry I don't post more but MODing keeps me pretty busy.

Just to report BGL was 3.7(66.6) this morning which was a bit of a surprise. 4 to 5 is my norm. I did a stir-fry for dinner last night and, as usual, weight is up 2+ pounds. Why does it go on overnight and take 2-3 days to leave?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #64  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning! FBS 99--hooray! B-fast was 1/2 C plain greek yogurt. Skipped my big bowl of fruit this morning because the weather is a bit ominous, and I'm unlikely to get in my morning swim today. Will plan to have the fresh fruit in a couple of hours, quantity dependent upon whether the weather will cooperate with my need to burn off the sugar.

0.8 lbs away from 20 lbs weight loss...looking forward to that milestone!

Bonnie--Very glad you enjoyed the tilapia with cajun seasoning, especially since you have a supply of it in your freezer. Any new menu item for variety is a plus with our diabetic dietary restrictions.

kjsspot--I agree that physicians typically have low expectations for patient compliance with diabetes control. It is a very personal and difficult decision to make the necessary changes for the rest of our lives. For me, the Big D diagnosis was a big wake up call that my weight and my eating habits were completely out of control. Knowing well the very real and horrible complications diabetes causes was enough to get me to change my lifestyle immediately. At times I want to kick myself for letting it get to this, but I've made the life altering decision to fix the problems that got me here. Some days I can't believe how easy it is to eat healthy foods and limit quantity. Other days require more resolve. Either way, I'm determined.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #65  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Sorry I don't post more but MODing keeps me pretty busy.

Just to report BGL was 3.7(66.6) this morning which was a bit of a surprise. 4 to 5 is my norm. I did a stir-fry for dinner last night and, as usual, weight is up 2+ pounds. Why does it go on overnight and take 2-3 days to leave?
Ruth: try a specialty food store or health food store and get some lower salt tamari or soy sauce for your stir fries. You are so sensitive to salts that you need the low sodium.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #66  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Starting atkins today, weight at 172 as per signature. bs last night before bed at 7.1, after a snack with greek yogurt and sf ice cream. this am 5.8 fasting.
Want to be down below 170 asap, but will settle for the end of the month. (I lose slowly, no matter what the method)

for a summer treat, go the atkins thread, and read about making "potato salad" with cauliflower. Its low carb, delicious, and won't spike your blood sugar.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning all!

fbs at 91 this morning, after a night of sleep interruptions and morning frustration. I was awakened several times by work last night. The last call came at 445 and I was wide awake, finally getting up at 530. I feel achy and tired.

Ruth, we all understand that you have lots of duties. Hang out here when you can, ok? Have you ever tried using a vietnamese approach to stir fry? I use mashed garlic, fresh ginger, fish sauce, and sometimes lime juice and/or sweet chili sauce. Make a paste and coat the meat - marinate for a while. Then stir fry. It will be flavorfull. If I want a little more liquid, I add a bit of stock to finish. Really good. Fish sauce has that salty tang but not as much sodium. Sometimes I add some low salt soy. Incidentally, we keep all our meat and veggie scraps in bags in the freezer. when full, make very concentrated stock. We freeze in ice cube containers and then put in ziplock bags for storage. Really convenient for cooking and much more tasty than anything that you can buy.

I totally agree with the posts that docs are often too complacent about bs numbers. I understand that it takes time for bs to come down and stabilize but sometimes I don't think they are honest with their patients. I have posted before about my frustration that my father's dr doesn't do a better job of managing his diabetes. Dad thinks that his 7.5 A1c is "great". We all have to do the best we can but I think there is a difference between compassion and support and enabling.

Floriduh, I nice breakfast! I always read with longing about your fruit breakfasts. I am working slowly with adding fruit. The apples with protein are serving me well, and they are really filling. Working out temporarily raises my sugar so I can't rely on that for the long run. Like you, I think that the diabetes "wake up call" was what will ultimately save my life.

Kjsspot, I also believe that the weight loss and reducing insulin resistance is the only thing that will help long term.

Fatmad, the show sounds good and I am glad that you were able to get a good conversation started. I think a lovely social time over dinner is such a fun way to spend one's time. Hopefully, I will be able to learn how to do this in a healthy way.

Well, I know that we don't generally do this on this thread but I am going to post a couple of pictures. The first is from mid-september of last year. The other is from the barbque this weekend. I just thought it might be helpful to the newbies to see that there is real hope. I still have a ways to go, but my life is so much better now. Good luck to day and good health.
Rie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaybell benefit.jpg (8.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ysc august picnic.jpg (8.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #68  
Inspired

Rie--Sorry about your inadequate sleep. I hate when that happens. I am brain drained for the day unless I can find time for a nap.

Was able to sneak in a brief (35 min), yet intense workout in the pool between T-storms this morning. Without my luscious fruit breakfast, bs dropped to 64. Normally after fruit and swim, bs is mid 70s to low 80s. I figured out after much trial and error the big bowl of fruit is my energy boost for the workout. Can't have it unless I'm going to burn it immediately.

fatmad--Yes! Low sodium soy sauce is fantastic--and I am an admitted saltaholic. As for the Atkins Diet--It was a lifesaver for me. Started my carb detox by going cold turkey with Atkins. First week was a blur while I went through carb withdrawal and lost about six lbs of water weight. Wow--could finally see my ankle bones again. My long standing fluid retention is now a distant memory. I eventually gave up meat for breakfast (my fav lean bacon) because I wasn't seeing the weight loss pace I had hoped. Very thankful I had Atkins to get me started on the journey! It was exactly what I needed for the jump start.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #69  
Inspired

Rie-- You look magnificent! You have accomplished great success over the past year.
(ok, so I used a magnifying glass to see the pics )
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 241/230/190

Height: 5'7"

Wow, Rie, you are doing really great! When were you diagnosed?

My hat is off to everyone that posts because that is a big step to take. Hiding one's head in the sand is so much easier, I've done it for years.

It looks like I am not the only one to suffer from Dawn Phenomenon, it's such a struggle. My endo is another that doesn't seem to worry with it....but I do.

I have to stay low carb (less than 40 per day) to keep my levels in control, so I envy many of you here that can eat them!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #71  

@Rie, great job on getting healthier!! And exercise doesn't lower my BGs either. It's kinda frustrating sometimes. But I know it will help me lose and that will help in the long run so I'm gonna keep doing it anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #72  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Plugging along. Weight and BGL are staying the same. I'm ready for a whoosh of weight loss - a whoosh for me is two pounds. Of course it would help if I remembered to take my Victoza.

Today I go to get fitted for my two hearing aids and am feeling a bit old and decrepit. I'm sure I'll recover.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #73  
Inspired

Default Oh Happy Day!

Good morning! fbs 106 a tad higher than usual. Late dinner last night. Best news--finally reached the 20lb weight loss hurdle! Checked the scale twice to be sure. Doing the happy dance!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning All

fbs at 81 this morning. I did an hour of aerobics and am finishing a good breakfast. I have been adding in some fresh veggies in the morning - something that I never would have considered. A small cucumber or small tomato added to my fruit and protein is surprisingly good.

I am trying to increase my water intake. I just forget sometimes. I realized on Monday evening that I had been drinking coffee all day but I had not consumed even one glass of water. Not good with my working out.

Ruth, I am sorry that the hearing aids make you feel old Hopefully, your ability to hear - especially in a crowd - will make it more tolerable. The weight will come off. How is your leg?

LynnDu, I was diagnosed in late august last year. I started on my journey the first week in September, after my first dr and educator visit. Is your morning bs ever helped by an evening snack? It took me a long time to get that under control.

Thanks Floriduh, I am sorry that the pictures don't enlarge. I don't know how to fix it. Congrats on the atkins route. I actually have trouble with bs if I don't have small amounts of controlled carbs. My dr says that my liver "panics" and sends out sugar. Our bodies are all so different. I wonder sometimes if there aren't subsets of diabetes that they haven't named yet. It is one of the things that is frustrating to me because so many people (who don't have it) will tell you how you are supposed to eat.

Fatmad, Trish, Bonnie, and everyone else, have a good and healthy day.

Rie

Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #75  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey ladies ! I hope all is finding themself having a good day. Well after this weekend I will no longer have internet. Because the lack of funds. Hope to get back on here ASAP. I am gonna continue to do right keeping my logs going . Hopefully can find a way to fly by sometime...
Closed Thread