Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone, Another quick one today. It seems like my life is not my own lately.

Ruthie Hooray for the lb gone. It does seem to take longer these days.

CC HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Today is my birthday too. I hope you've had a really great birthday and have many, many more.

Rie Sorry about your Mom. My Mama had weight problems too so she was more supportive. We were always looking for something that would help us lose weight. My late hubbies Grandmother was always sending me ads from Sunday's Parade magazine for some new diet. She and one of my aunts were always looking for new diets for me that they "just knew" would be the one. My aunt just knew that if I would take some pill that would cause you to lose weight while you sleep would work for me. I laughed and thought how nice that would be but of course I knew it wouldn't. Had a doc one time who told me that if they ever came up with a magic pill that I would be one of the 1st people he would call. It sure didn't help my feelings. I know they were trying to help, but it always made me feel like I didn't quite measure up. I just loved them and went on.

Fatmad Enjoy you Niagra Falls trip. DH took me there a few years ago and I loved it. Canada, especially Niagara, was a place that I never dreamed I would ever see. It was awesome to me.

Well, I've managed to make today my turn to use the washer and dryer and I've got to go hand some clothes and put the others in to dray.

Sorry about those I missed, but I am thinking of y'all. I hope everybody is having a great day.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #182  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. BGL 5.3 again after a good night of sleep. Yesterday I felt really tired but an hour's nap in the afternoon really helped. (The dogs liked it too because the only time they are allowed on my bed is nap time.) I planned my three meals and ate exactly what I planned. Since it's in season, I've been eating a bit more fruit (peaches and plums) which may account for the higher than normal (for me) FBGLs.

Today will be a bit of a challenge as I have two morning appointments in town - the last one in an office above the dreaded Chinese Buffet at 11:30. I will take along some cheese, crackers and fruit but really will need lots of

The leg is feeling better - it did not wake me up with pain for a change. Healing certainly takes much longer as we get older. I'm pushing the Vit C and also using that Emugel to get the blood away from the bruising and back where it belongs!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
CC HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Today is my birthday too. I hope you've had a really great birthday and have many, many more.

Happy Birthday to you, too, Trish! It's always neat when you find someone who has the same birthday as you!

Carol
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #184  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Good morning. BGL 5.3 again after a good night of sleep. Yesterday I felt really tired but an hour's nap in the afternoon really helped. (The dogs liked it too because the only time they are allowed on my bed is nap time.) I planned my three meals and ate exactly what I planned. Since it's in season, I've been eating a bit more fruit (peaches and plums) which may account for the higher than normal (for me) FBGLs.

Today will be a bit of a challenge as I have two morning appointments in town - the last one in an office above the dreaded Chinese Buffet at 11:30. I will take along some cheese, crackers and fruit but really will need lots of

The leg is feeling better - it did not wake me up with pain for a change. Healing certainly takes much longer as we get older. I'm pushing the Vit C and also using that Emugel to get the blood away from the bruising and back where it belongs!
Hi Ruth,
I'm glad to hear the leg is feeling better. I have arthritis in one knee and really have to baby it or I get crippled up for a few days.

My dog is also only allowed on the bed at naptime. But if it storms during the night he gets scared and DH lets him come into bed with us. LOL Like a little kid.

Carol
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #185  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone. We had a lovely family picnic on Sunday, and I had a good visit with Dad. I just had a late supper of soup as the 5 hours of picnicking was grazing. I did eat the treats I had planned to eat, and no guilt about it. But spoke with my uncle who lost 100 lbs on south beach a few years ago, and has kept it off. He had a heart surgery and had to lose the weight, after a lifetime of being obese. He is doing well. He doesn't eat at all at the picnic. He says he overdoes it and has trouble getting back on track. So he eats a late brunch, and eats a planned meal at home. Of course I can't do that, couldn't go 6 hours without food, but I could bring my own food. I am not sure about that approach, but it may be one strategy if I want to lose a few more pounds.
The weather was pretty good, until about 5 pm, when we had a downpour, and packed up to go. We were fortunate to just have a big rain, Goderich, a town on Lake Huron, had a tornado that caused a lot of damage to the town.
I know we don't talk politics here, but most of our country is in mourning, having lost a respected public servant, the leader of our opposition, to cancer yesterday. Even those who didn't agree with his politics admired him. So we went to a vigil last night, and had big sadness. Interestingly, although it dominates the news here in Canada, the US and international news has nothing about it. But his final words about love being better than anger, hope is better than fear, and optimism is better than despair, is such a beautiful epithet, that I wanted to share it. If you want to google Jack Layton to read about it, you will be inspired. Those words work for so much more than politics, but for anyone having a struggle and working toward a better or healthier future.
Ruth, tell me if I am being out of line with sharing this. I just found those words so helpful as I try to plan my next steps for my own health.
have a lovely day everyone.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all.

fbs at 90 this morning. I was in the low 90's all day yesterday. I was feeling a little stressed out. It is amazing how that effects my sugar.

I lifted weights this morning. Except for the occasional twinge, I think my back is recovered.

Ruth, I am glad that you leg is starting to feel better. Good luck at battling the chinese buffet.

Carol and Trish

I hope everyone else is having a good day.

Rie
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #187  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
If you want to google Jack Layton to read about it, you will be inspired. Those words work for so much more than politics, but for anyone having a struggle and working toward a better or healthier future.
Being from the US I knew nothing about this, but I read his letter and agree that it was very touching, that someone who knew he was near death could write such a positive caring letter to his fellow countrymen.

And I admire your uncle for success with the South Beach diet and for knowing himself and his habits well enough to refrain from eating at a family gathering where there was probably so much good food! I hope I can get to that point at some time.

Carol
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #188  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Happy Tuesday!

CatholicCajun--Good going with your bs progress yesterday. Hope you have continued success this week.
Belated

Trish--Belated too!

fatmad--Glad you had such a nice time at your family picnic Great story about your uncle and his determination to keep his weight in check.

Rie
--very good news that you are able to work out again, and your back is behaving again.

Carol--my dog rules the roost around here, and sleeps most anywhere he wants. Spoiled rotten, but he guards the yard all day and keeps all the lizards and squirrels on alert.

fbs 91 yesterday, 96 today. bs 71 after swim workout. Feeling good! Best wishes to all for a good day and excellent blood sugars!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #189  

Just a quick note:

Fatmad, I missed your post this morning. You are right, we should be talking about him on this side of the boarder. An inspirational figure. A pity that we can't always view people of different opinions with an eye toward their humanity. Thanks for sharing
Rie
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #190  
Come on Spring!

Thanks to Fatmad for posting Jack Layton's words of wisdom. He really was a great man. I spent six hours with him on a plane from Vancouver to Ottawa - not in First Class, by the way. We didn't talk politics but Life! He really was a great man and I'm so happy there will be a state funeral to honour him.

Avoided the Buffet yesterday and had a grilled cheese at home instead. Dinner was also under my control - veggie lasagna from the freezer stash plus salad. Protein was a tad low but I'll fix that today. BGL was 4.6 this morning - decent!

Food is planned for today and I am once again going to try fish. Yesterday I bought some Marina Del Ray Tilapia in orange mango sauce that's boil in the bag. Maybe that will help me get interested. I know I can take fish oil but I do want to overcome my aversion to fish which I think was instilled from my mother. Note that I did not buy salmon! It'll be a long time before I eat it again after last weeks barfing episode.

On we go to a Healthy Hump Day!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #191  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Food is planned for today and I am once again going to try fish. Yesterday I bought some Marina Del Ray Tilapia in orange mango sauce that's boil in the bag. Maybe that will help me get interested. I know I can take fish oil but I do want to overcome my aversion to fish which I think was instilled from my mother. Note that I did not buy salmon! It'll be a long time before I eat it again after last weeks barfing episode.

On we go to a Healthy Hump Day!
Ruth, I hated fish growing up, but now I realize it was because back then, fish had bones in it. I hated having to spit out a bone with every bite. Now I love fish since you rarely run into a bone. It also doesn't seem to have as strong a fishy taste as it used to. I love Talapia and salmon is a favorite also. But I still take the fish oil. It lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides so drastically it was unbelievable.

Carol
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #192  

Good Morning All!

fbs at 91 this morning. I seem to be hovering in the low 90's. Not sure why but it is a reasonable number so I won't worry. I had a back pain episode last night - pretty bad. Bummer, I thought I was over it.

Ruth, I hope you like the flavored fish. I have developed a taste for it. Prior to my diagosis, the only way that I ate fish was fried with a large side of potatoes.I have learned to like it with spices. I still am not fond of salmon. BTW, I take fish oil capsules even though I eat fish 2-3 times a week. I also take flax seed oil caps.

Fatmad, thanks again for sharing yesterday. I watched the news last night and didn't see one word. Everyone is all agog about the earthquake and Khaddafy.

Floriduh, nice bs control! I sure wish I could watch mine go down after a workout.

Carol, did you have a good birthday? It seems like you have made some drastic changes in your lifestyle. Everything seems to be working.

Well, sorry for anyone that I missed. Have a happy and healthy hump day.

Rie
Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #193  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

just a quick fly by. I'm still around. I log in nearly every day but don't have time for personals and nothing interesting goin on for me. Status quo. Which I guess is good, for the most part!

2 weeks yet until my next diabetes class and weigh in. I'm on track so I'm hoping to hit that 20 lb mark!

Finances have been insanely tight ... I haven't started Zumba classes yet and I know I should just get out and walk but blah. So no standard exercise yet. Hopefully with the weather cooling down and the leaves soon starting to turn it will motivate me to get out and walk. I love the fall.

Have a great rest of the week!
Kari
Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #194  
Come on Spring!

I love the fall too, Kari. It's what follows that gripes me. As soon as this darned leg heals more, I'll be walking.

Well, I did have fish last night and really enjoyed it. I did it boil in the bag and think that really helped. It was quite tasty and I'll have the other portion next week probably over rice or quinoa. FBGL was 3.6 this morning and my ticker is truthful - for now!

Let's rename Thursday to Thirstday and drink extra water today. Drinking enough water is my downfall, especially now that the weather is a bit cooler. I need more than a glug to take pills twice a day!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #195  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: I am "batching it" with DH and DD and dog all gone to the cottage and me still home to work for a week. Oddly, its quite easy to stay on plan. I was worried I would be "free" to eat anything in the house, and would. But so far so good.
Had a night full of thunderstorms, but slept well anyhow, and getting ready for my work day. Planning yoga this afternoon, and maybe seeing baby Lilia if work doesn't interfere. The storm has brought on a few babies for my partners and they may need my help. I have no one due for a month, so hope to be active and eat regularly and otherwise stay on plan.
There is a new gym that has opened in the village where my office is. It also has one in the town near me, (where DD went to school). If they would consider a plan where I could go to either, that might be a good way for me to get some weight training in. I could also get a routine going at home. The yoga is good, I do a fair amount of mat work where I support my weight on my hands and arms, and do abs work, but maybe more weight training would help to sculpt things a bit more. Its not just the weight, but the tone, right?
And muscle will help burn the fat.
Have a lovely Thursday, the day has dawned sunny and not too hot, so will be great here.
Closed Thread