Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Bonnie, I have used the dip mix in a pinch. just add the mayo and milk. about 1/2 cup mayo, mix, and 1 - 1 2/3 cup milk. Sometimes I even add more milk as I go on, but I like it thin.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #17  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I did a 2 mines walk away the pounds DVD several days now and today I can say I did it and didnt feel like I was out of breath.. Felt pretty good. Now I wish this heat would go away so I can walk in the evening I could really kick butt..
Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Justwant2Bhealthy Riemontana Thanks for your advice I do think that atkins isnt the way to go . My Doctor said to lower my carbs and I have been doing that so far I have lost a few pounds I have also cut out sugar no more tea unless I use a splenda( Witch is maybe 1 a day) From what I am used to eating I have basically given up alot. I am going to be going grocery shopping tonight and I need some ideas of what to buy I know I will be buying lots of veggies and lean meats. I jest dont know what are good numbers for me. So if I pick up cheese or cream cheese , Cottage Cheese, Yogurt what is the best to look at???? Fat free, Low Fat or Regular. I want this to be a lifestyle change and my whole family is going to be going me.
Butterfly, I use Dannon Lite and Fit Yogurt. I read the back of all the cartons, and this is the one that I saw with the lowest carb and sugar counts. I don't eat a lot of yogurt, but I do try to eat it a few times a week.

Carol
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Bonnie, in the dressing isle in the supermarket you will find Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. It is a dry mix that comes in packets. The recipe is on the back but I modify it. I use half the mayo (I prefer olive oil mayo) and twice the milk - use 1% milk. I have a shaker bottle that I got on amazon. It is made by tupperware and is called a gravy shaker. The ranch thickens nicely in the fridge. It comes in at a fraction of the calories, fat and carbs of other dressing. Good luck
That is a really good idea with the dressing. I'll have to try that!

Carol
Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #20  
Bonnie

slmn11That is what I usually buy . I buy the bigger container and only get out 1/2 cups at a time. I love it for a snack I even used it like a dip one day but it was good. I usually do the vanilla or blueberry.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #21  

Height: 5'2"

Hey everyone. Pretty much a lurker in this thread recently. It is great to see a bunch of new names joining. Lost 10 lbs since May and my fbs is down about 25 points in the morning. Still considered high (135-145) but that is much better than the 160-170 it used to be. Glad to see everyone is doing well. I will have to post more and stop being such lurker!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #22  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello Lindy. I am new to the diabetes world, was diagnosed in June and since then down 10 pounds and my fbs runs more or less 117-125 but would like it to be under 100.

Hubby and I had a date lunch at Red Lobster. It's about an hour's drive from our home. We really enjoyed getting away. I had the boiled crab, used some of the garlic butter, but not much, it also came with shrimp (grilled), rice pilaf which was more like wild rice, salad and one biscuit. No dessert. I will just eat light for supper. Hope you all doing well.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #23  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

[QUOTE=Floriduh;3954987]

Had my first challenge with house guests since diagnosis and dietary changes over the weekend. Oh boy, it was a challenge cooking for everyone else, then eating my separate preparation. My favorite menu item was lasagna. Made a huge pan for everyone, and my own bowl of lasagna sans pasta. It was great!

Florida, this is great. I have a suggestion tho. Try making lasagna without pasta. and serve everyone the same thing. You can use sliced eggplant or zucchini, (slice long ways) and salt and dry between paper towels or clean tea towels. then do not cook but build the lasagna the usual way.
There are lots of good adaptations to lower carbs over all, and our guests will enjoy it all just as much.
good luck, and congrats.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #24  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hello gang: THings have been going well, but Dh bought a store made thin crust pizza last night, and it smelled to good not to have some. But today I did better and have stuck to plan. I was really pleased, made a nice beef and ginger stir fry that turned out deliciously.
There is an article in last month's reader's digest. (July) it was written by a woman who lost most of her money in the madoff scheme. She has written books about eating disorders, and likened her relationship with money to her troubled relationships with food. I was in a waiting room and only got to read a bit of what she had to say, but the article called to me, and I find myself thinking about it. To paraphrase
"I wasn't enjoying what I was eating, but rather thinking and planning for what I would eat next." I have heard this said other ways and other times, but for some reason, that resounded. SHe compared her work to get around this to buddhist philosophy, so maybe that was why it grabbed me.
Anyone get reader's digest? I don't know if the article was only in the canadian edition or not, but I would like the author's name, to read more of what she has to say.

Anyhow, have a good night everyone.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Anyone get reader's digest? I don't know if the article was only in the canadian edition or not, but I would like the author's name, to read more of what she has to say.

Anyhow, have a good night everyone.
Her name is Janeen Roth. I found it online. Here is a link to what I found but I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link. Scroll down to where it says "Inside the July 2011 Issue". It's the last item listed. She has lots of books on Amazon.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/magazine/july

Carol
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #26  

Good Morning All!

fbs at 76 this morning so I ate a Wonderslim snack bar before I went on my walk. I walked 2.3 miles at a fast pace. They cut the hay on the farm and so the first half mile and the last half mile of my walk was with the sweet, green smell of alfalfa. Nice I came back in and breafasted on a piece of low carb, whole grain bread and 1 oz of cream cheese. I also had some cucumber slices. I have been noticing a taste for veggies in the morning so I simply indulge!

Fatmad, thanks for the tip about the author and Carol, thanks for finding it.

Cajun, good job on the weight loss.

Lindy, you too! Sounds like your blood sugar is getting more controlled. It sometimes takes time. Lurk all you want if it helps you....

Bonnie, hows it goin?

Well, I am off. Everyone have good day!

Rie
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #27  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone!

Diabetes education class #2 went well yesterday. I'm down another 8 lbs for a total of 15 in 7 weeks. I'm very proud of myself and still motivated.

Hoping to pop back in tonight some time. I am making a grocery list for major shopping again next week. Thought I'd try some new recipes.

Have a great day!
Kari
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothik butterfly View Post
Hi everyone!

Diabetes education class #2 went well yesterday. I'm down another 8 lbs for a total of 15 in 7 weeks. I'm very proud of myself and still motivated.

Hoping to pop back in tonight some time. I am making a grocery list for major shopping again next week. Thought I'd try some new recipes.

Have a great day!
Kari
You are really doing good! You deserve to be proud!

Carol
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #29  
Bonnie

Hi Everyone Doing good here. Been doing good I have to tweek stuff still be making slow changes as I go. I although I must start adding some of the better starches in my diet. My Calorie range the last few days have been about a thousand But I am not hungry I make sure I make myself to eat though.
I went on Livestrong and Put in all my foods and they came up at almost 1000 So I need to add something to it I def need to do a bit better for breakfast. But all in all I am doing fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #30  

Hi Bonnie!

Good job. 1000 is not a lot of calories but you are figuring it out. What do you mean by "better carbs"?

Rie
Closed Thread