Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #136  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
I check my levels before dinner and it was 93 that was the lowest one yet.
Way to go, Bonnie!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Floriduh Fantastic FBG. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Rie Sure hope you got help for your back and it is feeling better soon. I also get tired of thin people thinking that it is so easy for us to lose weight if we would only exercise some "willpower". They haven't a clue as to what we are feeling or going through. Your info about genetics and animals were quite interesting. Kind of makes you realize there does have to be something similar when it comes to us humans. Will be interesting to see what science learns.

Ruthie I often wondered if your FBG had gone too low, but you usually said you felt okay. I also find the genetics discussion very interesting. I was thin until my 20s but I my Dad's family were big eaters and big people and my Mother's family of 8 brothers and sisters had weight problems of some sort except for 2 brothers and neither of her parents were overweight. I was always under the impression that obesity was learned from family not genetics. At least that is what I read years ago. So I look forward to hearing what the doc learns from his research.

Fatmad I seem to have accidently discovered that eatting a little something between 9 and 10 at night and take my second 1000 mg Metformin makes my FBG lower the next day. I usually have a little yogurt with small helpings of nuts and berries.

CatholicCajun When I was diagnosed with diabetes the doc gave me prescriptions for all my supplies, but I only have prescriptions for my strips now. I figured the prescription for everything the first time was to help me get started with everything I needed.

Bonnie I personally think your numbers are doing great. What you are doing seems to be working for you. I don't think you have to worry about things at all.

I think I got all of you. I'm sure I missed someone and I am so sorry as I didn't mean to.

It's late and I'm going to bed. Y'all have a great Tuesday.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #138  
Happy to be here!

S/C/G: 256/246/190

Height: 5'11"

Hi, all. I hope you don't mind if I join you. I have much to learn about diabetes. I was diagnosed last year, but my doc told me to just test my blood sugar randomly. It never seems to do much, and I'm curious to learn what to watch for from others who are living with diabetes. I'll be monitoring the posts but probably not saying much, since I have no clue what all this is about.

I am currently following the BFC, which is a limited carb plan that seems to be working well for me.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all!

Well, after the dr appointment I am on at least 24 hours of bedrest. The bad news is that this is due to an inflamation in my spine from Lupus. Every once in a while, I am reminded that I can't cure Lupus with a healthy lifestyle. I will keep on truckin, though because it's gotta help. Muscle relaxers and pain pills are making me very sleepy. At least I don't hurt. The pills really bother me but I am sure that they will help me.

Bonnie, great fbs! Good job. I think your diet sound ok, maybe a little high in carbs but that is ok if your bs comes down. I eat a lot more protein and veggies than you are eating. This morning breakfast was: one small fuji apple, 2tbs peanut butter, 1 oz cream cheese. Lunch was thin sliced turkey, one slice low carb bread, and 3 pickle slices. Supper was lean pork and portabella mushrooms stir fried, one inch slice of polenta with garlic, 1/2 large cucumber, green beans. I will have a light and fit yogurt for snack.

Fitchy, Welcome! I am so glad that you found us. Jump right in with questions or comments.

Trish, nice that you are back with us. What can we do to support you?

Cajun, I was also told the thing about always eating protein with a carb. Actually, my dr told me that, not the dietician. According to my test results, he was sure right. It makes a huge difference. I have gotten really used to eating very small amounts of peanut butter, cheese, jerky, etc.

So Ruth, you mentioned again that your victoza isn't covered by your plan. I thought Canada had universal health insurance? Is it different by province? I take Januvia and my dr was concerned that it wouldn't be covered but it is and it has kept my sugar so stable.

Fatmad, I thought because I look like my mom's family (my body type) that I would avoid dad's diabetes. No such luck. There are very strong autoimune disorders on both sides of my family. I apparently drew the bad genes.Oh well!

I know that I am missing people but my foggy head isn't helping. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Rie
Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #140  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default food for thought

This article was published in the Toronto Star newpaper.

Being fat doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re in poor health.

Or so suggests a study done by Jennifer Kuk, a York University assistant professor in the School of Kinesiology and Health

Science in the Faculty of Health.

“Not all obese individuals have poor health,” Kuk told the Star. “Conversely not all normal weight individuals have good health. You can have normal weight individuals who have high blood pressure, diabetes and poor lifestyle.”

Kuk and her team looked at 6,000 obese Americans comparing them to 23,000 healthy individuals.

The participants in the study were part of a 16 year longitudinal study done in Dallas Texas. Each underwent a preventative health exam.

Kuk and her team of researchers categorized the obese individuals using the Edmonton Obesity Staging System (EOSS) which was developed at the University of Alberta.

Individuals were classified according to their health risk using physical, psychological, and physiological symptoms and divided into four stages.

In the EOSS classification scheme, individuals who have an elevated weight but no other health issues are placed into a group called Stage 0. Stage 1 individuals have the beginning of some risk factors such as hypertension or high blood sugar that hasn’t developed into diabetes. In Stage 2 individuals have obesity-related diseases that can include hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Stage 3 individuals have actual organ damage such as a heart attack, diabetic complications, a stroke and depression. They may even have shortness of breath while sleeping.

The study, published Monday in the journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, found those in Stage 0 and 1 of the EOSS had a similar risk of dying as normal weight individuals. And in some cases may even be healthier than those individuals.

“They actually had a lower risk of dying from cardiovascular causes such as stroke, heart attacks and heart failures than normal weight individuals,” Kuk said.

This could be attributed to the fact people in these groups had stable body weight and they less weight loss over their lifetime. They also tended to lose weight less frequently than those in other categories of EOSS.

Frequent yo-yo dieting and weight loss can put someone’s health under stress, Kuk said. “The process of going up and down is stressful for your body. It can be mentally stressful and these individuals have a higher risk of dying from heart disease and cancer.”

Also, when the body gains weight back after dieting it tends to put on fat rather than muscle, she said.

The individuals who were in Stage 0 and Stage 1 of EOSS “tend to have a high fitness level and they consume a lot of fruits and….”

“This just reinforces some of the evidence out there that shows weight loss that has failed repeatedly can actually be worse off for you than an elevated body weight.”

Not every individual who is obese needs to lose weight, Kuk said.

“Individuals should focus on improving their health by engaging in physical activity and having a healthy diet.”

As far as Kuk is concerned, those who are obese but fall within the Stage 0 and Stage 1 category of EOSS might not benefit at all from losing weight.

“You can’t just look at the scale and make a diagnosis based on that alone. You need to look at the whole patient.”

The National Institutes of Health in the United States recommends that anyone with a BMI (body mass index) of above 30 lose weight. Canada has similar guidelines, said Kuk.

But this study suggests that might not actually be the best practice.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #141  

Hey All!

I complied with dr orders today. I feel woozy and weak on the meds but my pain is considerably better. I don't do so well when I am home sick - I get lonely. It is weird because I don't get that way usually. Maybe its because I am being forced to be alone, rather than choosingit.

I ate sparingly today and did pretty well. I focused on fresh veggies and a little fruit with small amounts of protein. For the first time in a long while, I could have gone all munchy this afternoon. I didn't.Yay me. I ate a wonderslim bar and it passed. I figured that the 16 carbs and 130 calories was a good bargain, given my cravings. I still only had about 1100 calories for the day. That's ok because I haven't done anything physical since friday.

Fatmad, I like that article. There was a similar study in the us not long ago with similar results. I was one of those "healthy fat" people for a long time. Then last year, at our annual health screening, I had borderline blood pressure and high cholesteral. Within a few months, I had raging diabetes. My first A1c was 13.8 Basically, I was a healthy fat person, then I wasn't. However, most of my family is obese and we have a history of living a long time. No heart disease, or cholesteral, strokes, or cancer. We tend to get thinner as we get older but we spend most of our lives as very large people. Interesting article.

Hi Fitchy! Welcome! Feel free to read posts here or jump in and ask questions. Whatever works for you. We have some experienced people here and some newbies. Anyway, Hello

To Bonnie, Ruth, Cajun, Trish, and anyone else I might have missed. I will post in the morning.

Rie
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #142  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. I'm glad things have improved a bit for you, Rie.

Another silly low of 2.7 this morning after a carby dinner. Blueberries, cheese and ww crackers should fix that.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
This article was published in the Toronto Star newpaper.

Being fat doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re in poor health.

Or so suggests a study done by Jennifer Kuk, a York University assistant professor in the School of Kinesiology and Health

Science in the Faculty of Health.

“Not all obese individuals have poor health,” Kuk told the Star. “Conversely not all normal weight individuals have good health. You can have normal weight individuals who have high blood pressure, diabetes and poor lifestyle.”

Kuk and her team looked at 6,000 obese Americans comparing them to 23,000 healthy individuals.

The participants in the study were part of a 16 year longitudinal study done in Dallas Texas. Each underwent a preventative health exam.

Kuk and her team of researchers categorized the obese individuals using the Edmonton Obesity Staging System (EOSS) which was developed at the University of Alberta.

Individuals were classified according to their health risk using physical, psychological, and physiological symptoms and divided into four stages.

In the EOSS classification scheme, individuals who have an elevated weight but no other health issues are placed into a group called Stage 0. Stage 1 individuals have the beginning of some risk factors such as hypertension or high blood sugar that hasn’t developed into diabetes. In Stage 2 individuals have obesity-related diseases that can include hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Stage 3 individuals have actual organ damage such as a heart attack, diabetic complications, a stroke and depression. They may even have shortness of breath while sleeping.

The study, published Monday in the journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, found those in Stage 0 and 1 of the EOSS had a similar risk of dying as normal weight individuals. And in some cases may even be healthier than those individuals.

“They actually had a lower risk of dying from cardiovascular causes such as stroke, heart attacks and heart failures than normal weight individuals,” Kuk said.

This could be attributed to the fact people in these groups had stable body weight and they less weight loss over their lifetime. They also tended to lose weight less frequently than those in other categories of EOSS.

Frequent yo-yo dieting and weight loss can put someone’s health under stress, Kuk said. “The process of going up and down is stressful for your body. It can be mentally stressful and these individuals have a higher risk of dying from heart disease and cancer.”

Also, when the body gains weight back after dieting it tends to put on fat rather than muscle, she said.

The individuals who were in Stage 0 and Stage 1 of EOSS “tend to have a high fitness level and they consume a lot of fruits and….”

“This just reinforces some of the evidence out there that shows weight loss that has failed repeatedly can actually be worse off for you than an elevated body weight.”

Not every individual who is obese needs to lose weight, Kuk said.

“Individuals should focus on improving their health by engaging in physical activity and having a healthy diet.”

As far as Kuk is concerned, those who are obese but fall within the Stage 0 and Stage 1 category of EOSS might not benefit at all from losing weight.

“You can’t just look at the scale and make a diagnosis based on that alone. You need to look at the whole patient.”

The National Institutes of Health in the United States recommends that anyone with a BMI (body mass index) of above 30 lose weight. Canada has similar guidelines, said Kuk.

But this study suggests that might not actually be the best practice.
I like this article, and I know it's true. Unfortunately, I am a stage 2. All my adult life I was aware of the obesity and medical problems that run in my family, and until my 40's I was thin, fit and healthy. I could give you a list of factors that caused me to come undone, but it all boils down to "I let it happen." I knew I was gaining weight. My eating changed and I quit exercising. I didn't like it but I didn't do anything about it. Around age 50, the medical problems started and have escalated over the past 15 years. I was not surprised as I am a replica of my Mother. At this point, I know I cannot undo the problems I have with my heart, but my heart would have an easier job if I lost this weight for good and got back to exercising. I know how to do this, but I guess I need someone to give me a good smack on the behind! LOL

Thank you for posting this. Maybe these facts will get me into action instead of just talking about it.

Carol

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #144  

Hello All

fbs at 83 this morning. I just finished my apple breakfast. I still can't work out although I would like to. My back is twinging a little but I think it is getting better.

Ruth, I am really concerned about all those lows. Have you talked to your dr yet?

Carol, I think the important thing is that you are doing it now!

Rie
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #145  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Rie--glad to learn your back spasms are getting better. Those meds are designed to make you loopy so you won't do silly things like sit, bend, stoop over, etc.

fatmad--Thanks much for posting the study. Nice sample size over an extended period of time gives more reliability to the results.

Ruth--I'm going to hate when the blueberries are out of season. They have been fabulous this year.

Fitchy--Welcome! It's always great to have a new voice in the discussion. Lots of us have lots to learn.

FBS 107, then bs 72 after big bowl of peach slices & blueberries w/light whipped cream and plain greek yogurt followed by a good workout in the pool. Have been getting in the pool 2x/day lately, and it is doing good things for my body! Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #146  
Come on Spring!

Yes, Rie, I have talked to him about the lows and he thinks I should be eating more carbs. He also told me I could cut the gliburide (glipizde?) if I wanted. Doctor Bob thinks I should do that but keeps reminding me that he's not my primary physician.

Carol, I think you and I have a lot in common. Keep posting and I'll smack your butt for you if you reciprocate!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #147  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello all. FBS was 119 this morning so not too bad, wish that were my weight instead!!!! Anyway looking forward to my FBS getting under 100, not my weight though! Hope you all have a blessed day.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I tried several times yesterday to do indies and then hit reply and it never took. I'm hoping it will go through tonight although I don't have time to do indies. Will do them as soon as I can. DH goes to see a surgeon tomorrow to see about having a place removed from his ear. Doc says it is benign but it can grow bigger. DH wants to deal with it ASAP. I will try to get back and do indies tomorrow night or Friday.

My FBG was 111 this morning. Sure hope I can keep it there.

Y'all have a good evening and a great Thursday tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #149  
Come on Spring!

Pattie, don't fret about no time for indies. I initially read that as "undies"! It's just good to have you checking in.

This has not been a good week for food control with yet another meal down at the cottage with the Pypers last night. Steak, salad, tomatoes and then a piece of cheesecake! However, BGL was 3.7 this morning so no damage done.

I have not been exercising for the past two months and I really miss it. (I never thought I'd say that!) I'm hoping my doc will give me some hints about reducing the pain and swelling in my screwed up leg - 2½ weeks is long enough - and that I'll be able to use the treadmill a bit soon.

Happy "Thirst-day" - Drink your water!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Hi everyone, I am new also. My diabetes has gone pretty much unchecked since I first found out I had it 5 years ago but I am finally ready to accept my "illness". Diabetes is a disease of compliance and I am here and compliant! You all give wonderful advice. I'm feeling a bit ill right now - headache etc. I have cut my carbs right back so I am suffering a bit but I should be fine in a few days. I have already begun to see my glucose levels falling even only after a few days, just hope the weight heads in the same directions.
Closed Thread