Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #166  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities"
Good stuff, Rie. This is not an illness but a fact of life. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion and accept it.

The leg is still pretty sore - the doctor and x-ray techie poking and prodding probably added to that. I have a compression stocking on it (leftover from my knee operation) and am spending as much time as possible with it elevated. No splint or cast needed as the bone has already begun to heal.

BGL has been fine despite the stress of an injury. I have even had dessert twice this week! I've had dinner down at the Lake with the Pypers four times and have kept the BGL fairly stable. The weight has been stuck but I expect the ticker to change next week. I have a film festival dinner and my nephew's wedding next weekend and want to feel a little slimmer even if it's only a pound or two. The scale is a tyrant and should not govern how we feel! I guess it's time for a revolution.

On we go into a healthy and active weekend, the second last one in August. Where the heck did summer go? .
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #167  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey ladies I am able to check in cause we took the kids to mickey D's for the internet. Been doing good My number's are usually under 120 I had a 130 one morning but I know it was because I had a late start . I hope everyone is doing good I have been walking every night two miles. It was hard but I feel so much better when I am done.
I reg my contour and they sent me 50 free test strips. But over all I jest wanted to let you all know I am doing good. My scale told me I lost 10 pounds so I am doing good.
I can read all the post on my phone but it wont let me sign in and post anything. Till next time I get to a internet connection.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #168  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

butterfly, glad to hear from you!
Have older DD here for the night, she is at a friend's wedding today, and tomorrow we will travel to Niagara for a family picnic. I will have my annual treats, Uncle John's fresh picked corn on the cob (he's a farmer and grows it) and auntie's butter tarts and cherry pie. I will have one of each and just enjoy. Otherwise I will eat carefully and healthfully. Taking lots of good stuff, like devilled eggs, Cauliflower "potato" salad, and a quinoa tabouli.
I am staying overnight at Dad's place, he wants me to be a co-signer on his bank account so that if he has health problems again, or passes away, we won't have problems accessing his money. He is so thoughtful. He had some problems about it when my mother died. My sister was very responsible and honest when he was so sick 2 years ago. (she did the finances and I did the medical decisions). So we will both be cosigners, and will do our best to be responsible and honest for as long as he lives. It is very trusting of him, and we want to honour him for it.
Ruth, hope your leg keeps getting better, and Rie, I am so glad things are going well for you.
a big hello to everyone else. I am enjoying reading all the posts.
have a great weekend
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #169  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. It's been a week of too many meals away from home but the flurry is over until next weekend when I have a dinner and film festival Friday and my nephew's wedding on Saturday! FBGL has been on the low side and I think that's because of drinking wine. My ticker is lying again but I'm expecting it to smarten up as my eating gets back to normal.

Despite the convenience, I have now sworn off frozen commercial dinners. They are way too high in salt and also too low in protein and veggies. I managed to replenish my own freezer stash last week and will continue to cook double and freeze half.

Have a great Sunday, Chickies! Be nice to your body. I am planning a good leg massage with body cream. That will make my poor leg feel better.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #170  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

good morning. My weight is according to signature, and all is well here. Just finishing my salad and packing the car for the trip to Niagara. Struggling with breakfast, so will have an atkins bar, I think, just can't manage cooking on top of other stuff. Happy Sunday everyone.
Ruth: give you leg a good rub. I like traumheel or arnica to rub on sore stuff, and the voltaren emulgel is also good for reducing pain. The first two are homeopathics, and I know not everyone believes in it, but I do find they reduce swelling and inflammation and reduce pain, so use them, even if its all in my head. Feel better soon.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Just a quick post:

Today I met up with a friend who has moved away. He was in town for a couple days. We went to our favorite asian restaurant. I had fresh shrimp and vegetable rolls in rice paper, and bulgogi (Korean barbque) beef. I only ate a tiny portion of the rice. My blood sugar hardly raised at all.

Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities" in a restaurant setting. A year ago, I would have been in a panic. Just wanted to share that it gets easier.

Have a really good evening

Rie
Rie, you do very well with both your BS and your weight. I commend you. I KNOW what I should be doing, but I give in to temptation so easily. My BS is so out of control and I know what to do about it but I just don't. The carbs are always calling me. They are also keeping me from losing, but I'm always going to do it tomorrow.

Carol
Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #172  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, MAD. I do have Emugel and am about to try it. I had forgotten how good that stuff was but used on my knee. Happy Niagara!

Carol, is it time for butt kick?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All!

I didn't post yesterday as I was busy with family stuff. My youngest ds, dil, and gs are here for a quick trip. My back is controlled with the meds but they do make me tired fbs at 91 this morning. I fell asleep last night and forgot to test or eat my snack.

I had a difficult moment with my folks last night. We had a barbque. I made the chicken, some new potatoes, and marinated veggie salad. We also had fresh cucumbers. Mom maid two loaves of fresh bread. I loaded up my plate with veggies, a small portion of potatoes, and a piece of chicken. My mom offered me bread, twice. I politely refused. She offered it again, and I explained that I couldn't have bread because I wanted to enjoy a small piece of her rubarb pie. She was offended and told me that I was being too rigid. It was tough. My dad (who is diabetic) was sitting across the table eating multiple pieces of bread and finished with large desert portions. It hurt my feelings. Oh well, I don't think she understands it. I also think that sometimes they feel like I am judging or rejecting them. It still hurts, though.

I am off for morning activities. I will be back for personals. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rie
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #174  
Come on Spring!

Venting is good. It would be very hard for me to argue about food with my mother. I'm still afraid of her and she's been dead for ten years! Coming here is a good way to handle it. Rie!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #175  
Come on Spring!

Woke at three this morning and felt like my BGL was low. Tested and it was 5.3 - a high reading for me. Maybe it was the sound of a pound leaving that woke me. Good riddance.

Here we go with another week of taking control of our health.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #176  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Ruth--congrats for losing another pound! How is your fracture doing today?

Rie--I really understand what you are going through with the family dynamics. It can be impossibly frustrating! My mother called yesterday and asked how my weight loss was coming along. When I told her 23 lbs lost, she said I still have a long way to go. What can you say? I said, "Thanks, Mom."

Carol-- Getting off the bad carbs was perhaps the most difficult challenge of my life. You can do it!

Bonnie--Fantastic news about your 10lb weight loss!

Blood sugars doing very well over the past several days. fbs 91 this morning, 97 yesterday. Staying with the program. Had the usual plain greek yogurt and big bowl of sliced peach and blueberries w/whipped cream this morning. Off to the pool for morning workout.

Best wishes to all for a great week and excellent blood sugars!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #177  

Quote:
Hello All!

I had a difficult moment with my folks last night. We had a barbque. I made the chicken, some new potatoes, and marinated veggie salad. We also had fresh cucumbers. Mom maid two loaves of fresh bread. I loaded up my plate with veggies, a small portion of potatoes, and a piece of chicken. My mom offered me bread, twice. I politely refused. She offered it again, and I explained that I couldn't have bread because I wanted to enjoy a small piece of her rubarb pie. She was offended and told me that I was being too rigid. It was tough. My dad (who is diabetic) was sitting across the table eating multiple pieces of bread and finished with large desert portions. It hurt my feelings. Oh well, I don't think she understands it. I also think that sometimes they feel like I am judging or rejecting them. It still hurts, though.

I am off for morning activities. I will be back for personals. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rie
Rie, I so admire you for being "too rigid." I need to be that way, but I find I am more like your Dad, which is not good for either of us. You are doing the right thing, so don't let them get you down. Your mother probably feels that her diabetic husband eats that stuff and he's fine, but someday he might not be as a result of it.

For the past week or 2 I have been getting FBS readings in the 140's. I know I don't eat right all the time, but I didn't think I was doing bad enough to have readings that high. This morning I opened a new cannister of strips and did a control test. After that I tested and my FBS was 126. Still not good, but so much better than I had been getting. I'm wondering if it was the strips. They weren't expired, but it could have been that I just needed fresh ones.

Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Venting is good. It would be very hard for me to argue about food with my mother. I'm still afraid of her and she's been dead for ten years! Coming here is a good way to handle it. Rie!
Ruth, I was always afraid of my mother, too. What's that about? She is the closest relative we have, we shouldn't be afraid of her. I think it's a woman thing, because DH said he and his brothers were never afraid of their mother. She used to chase them around the house hitting them over the head with things, and they just laughed at her. LOL

Floriduh, thank you for the Willpower Dust. I really need it!

Carol
Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #178  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Happy Monday!

fbs at 80 this morning after a restful nights sleep. I did 40 minutes of aerobics this morning and now I am eating my breakfast with that post-workout glow. It feels good to get back into working out. I plan to keep it at about 40 minutes per day for a few days to avoid a return of my back pain.

Thanks for the support with my family situation yesterday. It is nice to have a safe place to vent feelings....

The weekend brought a last minute visit with my youngest ds, dil and gs. It was really nice. My dil, who is prediabetic has lost 37 pounds on my eating plan. Ds has lost also. It made me feel good. I watched with some satisfaction as both my gs's chose to eat fresh broccoli and cucumbers for snacks. They are learning more healthy ways that I did as a kid.

Ruth, congrats on the pound leaving! If your 3am test was a little high, do you think that is happening all the time - thus your low morning readings? Is your fracture healing?

Carol, I don't know if test strips get old. I know that sometimes I will get a high reading if I don't lance well. Last week I almost freaked out over a reading of 214! It turns out that I just didn't lance deep enough and I think it was testing the lotion on my skin. The repeat test was 85. I go through strips so fast that I don't think they could get old. Hopefully your readings will come back into line.

Floriduh, good results! I wish I could use a pool for my morning workouts. I guess I will just have to stick with my aerobics. LOL. Sounds like your mom can join mine as the queens of the backhanded compliments. I know they mean well I work really hard at being a supportive mom to my kids but I am sure that I say the wrong thing sometimes.

Bonnie, hope that you are hanging in there. That weight is gonna continue to come off. I'm so glad that you can read posts from your phone.

Fatmad, hoping that you are enjoying the beginning of the week. How lovely that you and your sis can work together to give your dad some peace of mind. I'll bet the picnic was wonderful!

Good luck and good bs control to everyone! I am off to begin the week.

Rie

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #179  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Morning all. FBS down from 131 to 127. Went eat out yesterday today being my birthday ate at Texas de Brazil, they serve mostly meats and have a nice salad bar, I did have dessert, it was heavenly, had not had anything like that in a looooong time so it was thoroughly enjoyed. Had breakfast this morning at Huddle House with one of my managers and BFF Cheryl and will not eat again until late this afternoon. Hope you all have a blessed day.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #180  

Quote:
Happy Monday!

Carol, I don't know if test strips get old. I know that sometimes I will get a high reading if I don't lance well. Last week I almost freaked out over a reading of 214! It turns out that I just didn't lance deep enough and I think it was testing the lotion on my skin. The repeat test was 85. I go through strips so fast that I don't think they could get old. Hopefully your readings will come back into line.
Rie

Rie, a while back before I retired, I was using One Touch and I had 2 meters..one I used at home and one I carried with me to work. I suspected something was off, so one day I tested with both meters at the same time. The readings were 20 points different. I did a control test on both meters with no change. So I got out a new canister of strips and tested both with the new strips and the readings were only a few points different. I don't usually test more than twice a day, so it takes me a while to use the strips. The strips weren't expired, but were close to it.

Carol
Closed Thread