Old 09-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #1  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Lightbulb ** Trick or Treat! Halloween Challenge! **

Welcome to the seventh challenge for 2004!

Labor Day has come and gone, and we're moving into indian summer, and cooler weather. The change in seasons, leaves changing colors, and rosy cheeks. Perfect weather for a nice walk outside, right?

We have 8 weeks until Halloween. The bags of candy are already out in the stores as we start this. The Challenge- to avoid the garbage and "tricks" and earn your "treat" - any non-food reward you want to work towards. Of course, there are the bonus "treats" of better health and fitness, lower weight, smaller clothes, and feeling better.

Whatever your program, whatever your fitness level, you can participate.

Post your goal(s) for the next 8 weeks, and join us for support and encouragement. Anyone is welcome to jump in and join us- please, make yourself at home.

This Challenge thread is a place where we can all come to share our progress, our struggles, our triumphs, and to cheer on those who are committed to a healthier lifestyle, and to just talk!

Elisha will be posting her motivational quotes and questions to help keep us on target. If anyone has an interesting article, helpful hint, or tip to share, please, post it. All thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

Let the challenge begin!

Want a Halloween Avatar? Click here for a selection!
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #2  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Howdy chicks!

I'm all geared up and ready to go for this challenge! Just got back into the swing of things with 40 minutes on my stairclimber, even though I *really* didn't want to--and that is the hard part! I'm all set to make this my greatest month ever in weight loss history! Who's with me?

I'll be back in a flash with my Q's of the day!

Have a healthy day everyone!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Exclamation Motivation Challenge

Daily Question: What healthy thing do you do that helps you the most?

A man who finds no satisfaction in himself seeks for it in vain elsewhere.
** François de la Rochefoucauld
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #4  

Hello Ladies, I have decided to join your challenge! My goals for the next 8 weeks are to lose hopefully about 10 pounds! I would like to be at 164 by then. I would also like to keep up my walking, I walk between 3-5 miles a day 4-5 times a week. I really enjoy it. I'm also starting to do a little lifting to try and tone my muscles. So my goal there is to lift 2-3 times a week, and keep up my walking. And finally I need to start drinking water 64oz a day or more, this means I need to get rid of my diet soda addiction lol!! Well GOOD LUCK TO you all!! I'm sure you will do great!!
Amber
SW: 176(8-30-04) CW: 174(9-6-04) GW: 145-150 (hopefully by January 1, 2005)
Mini goal: 160 by Thanksgiving when I meet my boyfriends family for the first time!!
cmsugrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #5  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Default Count me in!!!

I definitely want to be a part of this challenge!! My goals are:

1. Exercise at least 4X/week
2. Eat on plan
3. Drink my water each day

*I want to lose at least 15 pounds.....I just have to!!!

So good to see you guys here!! It feels great to have a fresh, new start!! I'll be back to answer the question of the day....

Hope you all have a terrific day!!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #6  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

p.s. I LOVE MY NEW AVATAR!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO JENNIFER FOR GETTING ALL THAT TOGETHER!!! JENNIFER WE LOVE YOU AND APPRECIATE ALL YOU DO TO KEEP THESE CHALLENGES GOING.

AND ALSO - THANK YOU ELISHA - YOU DO A TERRIFIC JOB WITH OUR MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES AND OUR QOD'S!!! YOU GUYS ARE TERRIFIC!

Last edited by lisa girl; 09-07-2004 at 10:24 AM. Reason: I can't spell!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #7  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default My Goals for this challenge

Food:
*Stay on plan
*Prepare in advance, when possible

Water:
*72 oz water before I leave work each day (3 24oz glasses)

Exercise:
*Exercise a minimum of 5 days each week
*Add a new tape, or weight routine to my existing rotation
*Make an exercise calendar, and stick to it

Misc:
*Journal food & exercise every day
Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #8  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default I'm in (here too) oops

I posted in the wrong thread. Oops. But I'm here now. And I'm ready.

I'll do my best, buddy. You know my motivation always runs out before the challenge ends. I'm going to give it the "old college try" (even though I didn't go to college). Thanks for being such a great leader. I appreciate all your efforts and hard work. Your graphics are great and everything looks wonderful. Thanks again. The Mad Java Turtle

My biggest goal is to stay motivated. I want to continue lifting weights three times a week at work and continue getting all my water in. My biggest obsticle (besides staying motivated) is to get more cardio in and to get a handle on my food. I'm thinking of switching programs. But no matter, I still need to lean on my friends. I hope to find that help right here. Thanks Jennifer. You're an inspiration to us all.
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #9  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Catching up on things....

Elisha- thank you again for the quotes & questions- you have no idea how much it is appreciated! Now, if we can just pressure some others here to jump in & take a more active part....right? Seriously, thank you for doing so much for all of us.

Amber- welcome aboard! Make yourself at home Wow, your walking looks great. I hear ya on the diet soda....people will have to pry the diet coke out of my cold, dead hands- I've given up just about everything else- I need one vice!!

Lisa- you're going to give me a swelled head. I think we all needed the fresh start- it's always a "boost" to have a clean slate and chance to buckle down more.

Mary- We're always going to be here for you- no matter how many times we all re-start, re-focus, it's the keeping at it that makes us successful. Check in when you can...good luck trying the new program- let us know how it works. Want to do an exercise challenge again?

ok...the Daily Question: What healthy thing do you do that helps you the most?

I think it would be a tie between the water, and the exercise. The water, though, I can do unconsciously. The exercise takes effort, and only once I have things moving smoothly & make it "routine" can I make it look effortless. LOL. And I always feel so much better after I exercise- 5-10 minutes afterwards, when the endorphines kick in...I need to bottle that & remind myself why this feels so good. Great question!

I'm going to go get a journal entry posted with the link to the challenge, and then I'll peek back in after lunch. I have to run out & pick up a few supplies for a cross stitch project I started during the hurricane (wasn't anything else to do for 4 days) and it's STILL raining here. Got to love south Florida.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #10  

HI ladies. I journal here regularily but definitely need some motivation!!

My goals are:
lose 1 lb a week/8 total
walk 3 times a week
eat 2 starchy carbs a day ONLY!

Answer to question~ eating all my fruit and veg servings each day!

Best of luck and health to everyone!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:40 AM   #11  

Hi!

After plateauing for 6 weeks, I've started counting calories again. I had planned to do it just until Halloween, then go back to my normal plan (cutting out more and more animal products). And then, hey! A Halloween thread! Cool beans.

My long term eventual goal is to eat fewer animal products, but I also want some weight loss, and that just hasn't been happening. That's why I'm counting cals for this challenge.

Goal: Lose 14lbs.
Plan: Counting cals just for this challenge. Exercise 3x/week.
Reward: Some new jewelry.

Today: Drank a glass o' water, exercised.

I've been working on the Halloween goal for three days now, and it's going pretty well.

So, do we answer the daily Q in our post?

Daily Question: What healthy thing do you do that helps you the most?
I drink more water. First of all, it hydrates me, which reduces swelling and is an instant skinny-making reward. Second, it cuts down on my soda and other sweet liquid consumption, which works for long-term weight loss.

Nice to meet you all.
Aquareggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #12  

Default Count Me In

My first time joining a challenge. I usually just lurk over at the journals and I saw this link and decided to go for it. I need all the support I can get. Here are my goals for the next 8 weeks:
1. Eat Breakfast;
2. Eat slower (don't shovel in food) to give myself a chance to feel full;
3. Walk 4 to 5 times per week for min of 30 minutes;
4. No double cheeseburgers from BK
I would like to try to lose @12 pounds by halloween. Thanks for having this open to all. I haven't had much support up to this point and really appreciate being a part of this.
sparked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #13  

You got my attention! I need this challenge.

My Goal is to lose 10 pounds by halloween.
Plan: HMMMMMMMM THAT'S the problem... Need a good plan.
Reward: A new pair of shoes

The question: I have found that eating breakfast has been a plus for me. I have learned that my motabolism will not get started if nothing is put in this machine at the start of the day.

Thanks so much for allowing me to be a part of this.

Donna
dlzbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #14  
LucyKitty

Hiya! Like you didn't know I'd be here. (Jennifer, did you totally design this avatar for me, the gothy one, or what?! haha!)

So here's the whole goal list and whatnot.

Goals:

Drink more water (I've been slacking on this).
Deep-fried ick is only allowed ONCE per week, Lucy.
Take my vitamins (and extra calcium) every day.
Eat more fruits & veggies.

Workout goals:

20 min ellipitical, level 8 resistance, w/ ankle weights, 4x per week.
200 uber-intense situps, 5x per week.
20 butt squeezes every day.
20 squats every day WITH WEIGHTS.
One-mile walks with the dog & hubby at least 2x per week, weather permitting.

So the jist of it is to lose around 10 lbs (anything is fine with me, though), and have a flatter stomach.

Issues that will bug me: It's now September in Seattle. Sure, it'll be hot for another few weeks, and then the drizzle starts again and it gets cold and all I want to do is sit down with a big cup of hot cider and read a book, snuggle with my kitties.

Also, welcome to all the new chickies!! Glad we have some new folks around here. Woohoo!

Julie -- that chicken/rice dish is very helpful. *hug* YOU ROCK. The husband eats vegetables now!! OMG!!

Jennifer -- I'm so glad you guys are doing okay after the latest icky storm. I'm glad you're back around, too!

Jay -- Hey girl! You better be in on this one, I tell you what!! I miss ya! *hugs*

Everybody else -- Sorry I missed ya! I'll try to update more than once every other week this time. *sheepish grin* Been busy! Hope you're all having an awesome dya, and I'm proud of you all!! YAAAY!!
lameducklucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #15  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

I am new here. Can I join the Halloween challenge! My DH and I are starting South Beach today! I'd like to lose 20 pounds by then. (I am saying that since I am just beginning!)

My reward will be...hmmmm...I am not sure yet. I'll have to think about that one!

lauren
GoldieFun is offline   Reply With Quote