Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #211  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Ninepaw, I know what you mean about the rests speeding by! In fact, I much prefer interval running to straight running because the time goes by so fast. Running for 60 minutes is so different broken into 6 ten minute sections. It isn't like that 12 minutes of "rest" makes that much difference. You're going to be amazed at how quickly you get through this and at what you can accomplish!

Rochester, I need to consider 100 push-ups again. I tried to do it a while back but just wasn't strong enough. But now I can do 15 in a row so maybe.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

NINEPAW: I hope you are taking rest days in between for your C25K anyways...it's a beginner mistake to do too much too soon. <3

FCMONROE: I like option 1. I'm really feeling bummed...I've been so high for the past 4 months thinking I look great...and all of a sudden I feel bummed about not looking great...after all I'm still 260 pounds...I must have delusional! *wah*

DANCERINDENVER: Thanks for all that super great info! I notice when I do a lot of exercising I do gain..but this was just such a HUGE jump...could be my period coming??? I used to only get it 3-4 times a year...perhaps I'm becoming regular... I had it mid month last month...or somewhere around this time. hmm..

ELIANA: It could be a little bit of sodium... I don't usually eat things high in sodium... but I did this past week. Also, as "usual" for me..is my circuit training. Everyday is so different, that I don't think it's that part of it. I think I do need to get my cardio back in though. *sigh* sooo little time!! Work gets in the way of my real life! *snicker*
I think I did have too much sodium too... I took some NS stuff off a friend and that stuff (prepackaged) has an insane amount of sodium. I'm still 260 today... hopefully back down to at least 257 by Thurs??? *crossing fingers*

GOOD FOR YOU!! FOr packing snacks for the amusement park1!!!
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #213  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

ALEKS - I'm definitely taking rests between days! I was just talking about the walking intervals(rst) vs. running intervals. I can't even imagine going back to back days on this!

Oh! I had a fun little eciting moment. I was hanging out with a few people I haven't really seen in about a month, and one who I hadn't seen since I first started this journey. He was looking at me and he was like, "You look different. Like... Good different." And one of my other friends, who knows I've been working at my weight, said, "What, like she's skinnier?" And he was like, "Yeah! I think that's it!" It made me happy. And then I proceeded to play it off... "Well, I have lost some weight..."

But I have to say. I had a very happy internal moment there! Right when I'm wondering if my efforts count for anything... Someone said something about it!

Last edited by ninepaw; 06-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

ninepaw-Nice! Nothing like a little attention from the opposite sex.

Eliana-I will have to try the interval training some time soon. I always just run (actually jog / 4.3 on the treadmill with no incline) for 25 minutes straight. Once I start, I just want to not think about it and get it done. However, I have read all the great things about intervals and I notice that is what most people do. I just get stuck in my ways. Usually old fashioned ways!

Today I think I might actually go to the Y for a step class. Finally I am not coughing like crazy anymore. I am so excited.

I have not exercised for one week and I lost 4 pounds. The thing is I was not eating very much. Granted I was sick but I wonder if some of it was because I was not exercising. I have read that exercising can make you hungrier. I wonder. Well, I really don't want to turn into mush so I will have to exercise anyway. Hopefully I will still be able to manage my calories and of course I do not expect to lose 4 pounds a week on a regular basis!

Last edited by TERAPET; 06-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #215  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

@Eliana - Pushups are a pretty amazing simple exercise. Works your pecs (for nice perky boobies!), your triceps (no more batwings!), and your abs!

@Diana - Isn't it amazing when someone notices!

@Terrapet - I've definitely noticed that I'm hungrier when I work out hard, especially doing C25k. I grazed my way through the day yesterday! I think what's important is to give your body what it's asking for with small snacks that keep you within calorie limits. If you deny you body, there's a good chance that when you finally let yourself eat, you'd get stupid and eat everything in the house. That's my theory, anyway. Could be totally wrong.

@Aleks - Exercising can slow down the weight loss. (I don't know remember all the science, but I know I've read that somewhere.) As long as you're exercising, you're getting firm and trim, regardless of what the scale says!

I slept like a rock last night. 9 solid hours! And Jillian Michaels kicked my %^@ this morning.

Have a beautiful healthy day everyone.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #216  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
@Eliana - Pushups are a pretty amazing simple exercise. Works your pecs (for nice perky boobies!), your triceps (no more batwings!), and your abs!
Well...sign me up, I am sold!! I have noticed the girls being perkier, but I've also lost 2 inches from them, so I thought that was why. I kinda thought that ship had sailed.

I am flat exhausted today. I took a three hour nap yesterday afternoon and thought it was from the drammameine I took for the amusement park. But no, I'm exhausted still today. Exhaustion seems to be cyclical. It just comes and goes.

Today is my seven month anniversary! I think I've mentioned in this thread before that I gave myself a one year commitment to this. I can't believe I've made it this far. I've never been all in for such a lengthy period of time before, and have also never before lost so much. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #217  
The girl who can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I have noticed the girls being perkier, but I've also lost 2 inches from them, so I thought that was why. I kinda thought that ship had sailed.
Yeah, my perky ship is lost at sea, but I hold onto the hope that someday the Coast Guard will find it.

And congrats on the anniversary and the weight loss! You go, girl!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #218  
Diana Kay

Eliana - A big CONGARATS on the seven month mark! That is really awesome. Keep up the good work, you are so worth it!!!

Well girls, it's Wednesday, which is my official weigh day... And I'm still hanging out at 251. I really hate this. It's been a good two and a half weeks that I've been bouncing around the same four pounds or so. I just don't know what to do! I'm glad I took some measurements at the end of last month, because if this keeps up all month I'm going to need to see some change in inches, or I am going to tear my hair out!

Now please excuse me while I go, tail between my legs, to adjust my ticker up a pound.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #219  
The girl who can

@Diana - Plateaus suck!!!! There can be many reasons that you just have to ride out, or you may need to tweak your food or something. Just don't give up! You'll get past this.

I almost lost my pants today.

These pants were part of my motivation to lose weight; they have a snap closure and they'd gotten so snug that the snap would come undone if I wasn't careful when I sat down. I haven't worn them for a couple weeks because the weather had been warm, but today it was cooler.

I thought they seemed a little loose when I put them on this morning but didn't really give it more than a second's thought. Well, you know how through the course of the day your pants get just a bit stretched? By afternoon, my pants were definitely loose. I stood up to greet a client, reached out to shake his hand, and....there go my pants.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Rochester - your post cracked me up - just what I needed after a hot cranky day. Congrats on the loose pants!!!

ninepaw - sorry about the plateau - those suck! I know everyone said at the beginning, but I've forgotten what your eating plan is. Do you track all of your calories? And WAY TO GO on being noticed - how fun!

eliana - I hear you on the weird and unpredictable cyclical exhaustion! I'm blaming mine on allergy pills - do you happen to take those?

Hope everyone's doing great tonight...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #221  
Diana Kay

Rochester, that is both hilarious and awesome! You got out of those pants before you even knew it was happening... Literally!

Dancer, I can't say that I calorie count. My thing has just been eating the right things in reasonable portions. When it's something easy, like cereal, I'll weigh it out prior to eating. If not, I just get significantly less than I would have eaten before. I find calorie couting tedious and kind of irritating, to tell the truth!

Last edited by ninepaw; 06-09-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Two good things about today. One, I am going to the Y today for a body sculpting class. I actually went yesterday too for a cardio class. I barely made it through yesterday but today I feel even better. Second, the number on the scale today was 159.5! I have not seen the 150's for four years. Hopefully, I will be able to stay there for awhile. I have noticed my cravings are back now that I am not sick. I am really loving the scale these days though so I think I just might stay in control.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #223  
The girl who can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERAPET View Post
Second, the number on the scale today was 159.5! I have not seen the 150's for four years.

Diana - I don't know how you define "calorie counting," but what works for me is "menu planning," which includes calculating calories as well as carbs, protein, and fat. I usually do several days - sometimes as much as a week - in advance. I use sparkpeople.com and create meals, and based on the numbers, I know what needs to be tweaked (that meal has too many carbs, there's not enough protein on that day, my calories are too high or too low, etc.).

Sounds kinna complicated, but it's actually pretty quick and simple once you get into the swing of it. I can do a whole week in about 30 minutes. I also find that this is helpful because (1) I know what to buy at the supermarket and (2) I know what meats need defrosted and what veggies need prepped, and this makes the process of creating a meal effortless.

I guess it's not a process that would work for everyone (I'm obsessively organized!) but it's worth trying at least!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #224  
Diana Kay

See, you might call me obsessively unorganized... I'm terrible about planning things that aren't like... Trips to places and whatever. I'm thinking I might at least start keeping a food log so I at least see what I'm eating. We'll see!

I got on the scale this morning and it said 253. I was all like, " ". But, I never ever ever ever listen the first time I get on the scale. Ever. I weigh myself like, four times to be sure things stay consistent. And every single time after that first scary moment, it was 248!!! I'm trying to be reasonable and not get overly excited about it, because I know things may go back tomorrow... But Aaaaah!!!

Starting today through Monday I'm going to be house sitting, so I won't be home at all... i don't think there's a scale there, or there might be... But I'm going to try not to find it. I'm going to take the net several days to take time off from the scale and focus on my eating and execise habits, and see where I am when I'm back at home... So I'll finally get to weigh on Tuesday morning. This is going to drive me insane, and I may give in and at least try to find a scale in the house there, but I will do my best! This is either a great idea, or a plan for disaster. We'll just have to see!

Keep it up girls!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #225  
Calorie counter

Ninepaw, I had a similar moment this morning! I droped 2.4 pounds overnight! I never do that...ever...like, ever! I lose 4 pounds a month, so two overnight is crazy! I was 180 even...so close to a new decade! It'll happen, it'll happen.

I had a crazy day yesterday! First, I stepped off my step wrong in my rocker shoes and twisted my ankle. It was ok-ish, so I ran on it. Then it was no longer ok-ish. I went straight out and bought some really good running shoes that actually fit my very narrow foot, but the damage was already done.

Then, I took the kids to the water park. It was the longest walk I've ever walked. What should have taken 5 minutes took 15 minutes of agonizing limping. We got settled in, I sprayed the kids with sun block and then the full bottle decided to quit spraying. The bottle malfunctioned and I wasn't able to spray myself. Thank goodness it worked for the kids, but mom got roasted. It's a weird burn too because I got dots of protection as it slowly fizzled out, so I'm all polka-dotted. I look more diseased than burned! It hurts today. I was disappointed because I'd have spent a good long time there, but after a while I started to itch and I knew that wasn't a good sign.