Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #46  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

monica, matt, jessica, jenny - welcome!

wardhog - woohoo!!!!!!! 30 days!!!! You can do ANYTHING!
I'm on day 26 myself!

I purposely made my weigh-in day Sunday morning so I would behave on Satuday. (sunday's a weekday here) So far - it's worked for me!

have a great, binge-free day!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #47  
Keep Chuggin'

Vak - good for you! 5 days is almost a week! You can do it!

I just noticed that you are from Pakistan. Isn't it amazing how people form all over the world can get together and create a support group?

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #48  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Happy Thursday gang!

Welcome, Matt, Jenny, Monica, and Vak!

I had the munchies last night because a friend insisted on confessing to me every morsel of junk food she's eaten over the last week in great detail. Urk. I didn't eat anything but it wasn't fun either. I kept telling her not to dwell on in it, but she wanted to relive every fattening bite. Ack!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-12-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #49  
wallstreet biker

S/C/G: 250/threw away the scale

Height: 5'11''

good morning to all. Day 2 for me binge free. I did wake up 2am to raid the fridge, but all i had was a few grahams and some coolwhip. Having water with me at all times helps to stop the urge to eat. have a great day. matt
Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #50  
Learning to love ME!

Hi, everyone! I'm checking in. Monday and Tuesday I did not binge. Yesterday, I didn't really binge, but maybe I did...I don't know, it was kind of all day grazing. I know what started it--it's a carb-rich ethnic food that I think I would do better to avoid, or convince my dh to buy in smaller quantities. BUT, I didn't turn it into a "what the ****," I've blown it binge, so I guess that's progress.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #51  
Michelle the Vegan

Day 92 here, yay! Some days it is almost like I'm a normal person and then some days it is a battle every moment. So bizarre.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #52  

Hello All, I hope that it is ok that I join this thread. I was referred here by pleaseluise.
First of all, Josephine, congrats on your record that is amazing!!!!

I have a question for all of you-How do you all define binging?

In my 20's, I started binging when my parent's got divorced and it was the kind of binge where you are sort of out of body and don't realize you have eaten huge quanties of until later when you "wake up".
I don't do that any more (with thanks to Paul McKenna). But, now I just seem to eat small things but when I am not hungry and often. So, I am not sure if I belong here.

Any insights or advice would be greatly welcomed!!

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #53  

hi everyone...I am new to this site and I started binge eating about 6 months ago when I was unemployed. I have found a new job since, but the binging has continued. I would say I binge once or twice a week and then eat VERY healthy the other 5 days. My last binge was Monday so I've been binge free for 3 days!!

Dollyfin-I would consider binging the way your described "sort of out of body and don't realize you have eaten huge quanties of until later when you "wake up". I would not consider a binge having seconds or snackign between meals. Plus, I don't know about others, but i only binge when am alone.
When i binge, its like i'm not even tasting the food...its a horrible out of body experience which makes me feel ashamed and i hate "hiding the evidence" from my partner...3 days down...I'm going to make it to 30 days...slow and steady, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #54  
Keep Chuggin'

I really felt like binging today and it's been a while since i felt like that. interesting though was the fact that i could pinpoint the reason - i was feeling looked down upon and scrutinized. instead of binging , I <literally> removed myself from the situation and went out a little bit with one of the kids.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #55  

Miriam-I just wanted to congratulate you for figuring out what was causing you to want to binge. That is so wonderful!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #56  
Keep Chuggin'

Thanks. It's nice to figure it out before, and not after - !!!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 167/130/120

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone. I know I don't post much but, hope you're all doing well.

Josephine... hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been wondering about this. Would you say it becomes easier to "abstain" if you're already on a binge-free streak - well not "easier", but does it make it less likely to happen if you know you'll have to start allll over again, or do you need to keep up the same effort as on Day 1? From an outside perspective, your record seems like it would be a great source of motivation to continue - but sorry...who am I to say what it is really like?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #58  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Yea Miriam!! Way to go on stopping yourself!

Mongoose - Josephine is further along then I am. I'm around 60 days (lost count!!) but it does get easier I think. Not that the urges don't hit but they seem to be fewer and further between. I also try to think of the fact that I HAVE gained control and I WILL NOT let that go just for some stupid food I don't even need!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Looks like the binge free thread has moved to weekly rather than monthly . I like that idea, actually - taking it one week at a time seems less overwhelming than taking in the whole month.

I'm working on staying binge free for June and go from there. So far I've been doing well. I had a weird "ah-hah" kind of moment in May when I was watching a program on PBS about depression and it was like, hmmm, these symptoms sound familiar. I did more research on it, some online tests, and I think I've been going through a mild level of depression for the past two years. I feel like an idiot for not realizing it sooner. All the pieces seemed to fit - I was jumping around from place to place, not happy anywhere I was at, didn't feel any kind of joy for stuff that made me joyous before, all the headaches, and the binge eating which, I think, came back as a way to try and self-medicate (i.e., loading on the sugar and refined carbs to lift my mood).

In a strange way, knowing this has made things a lot easier for me. I was relieved a little, especially about the binge eating. I know it wasn't a failing of willpower on my part or even necessarily all stress (although that's certainly part of it) but my own (however screwed up) way of trying to get myself out of the dumps.

So since June I've been trying to be much easier on myself. Eating whole healthy foods, lots of fruit and veggies (which has been easy with 100+ degrees nearly every day in Texas ), keeping consistent with my exercise (walking, added some pilates and abs on alternative days - man, those abs are a great way to release tension ), and doing yoga every single day. I've also been reading up on amino acids and started taking some that are supposed to help depression (5-HTP, L-Carnitine, etc.) and I think that's helped as well. I'm feeling much better, more upbeat, less anxious, and definitely less junk food cravings.

So I'm hoping this is going to go on and I can do some work on how I handle stress (because it is stressful for me right now!) and not turn to food.

Tam
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #60  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Hi everyone. I know I don't post much but, hope you're all doing well.

Josephine... hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been wondering about this. Would you say it becomes easier to "abstain" if you're already on a binge-free streak - well not "easier", but does it make it less likely to happen if you know you'll have to start allll over again, or do you need to keep up the same effort as on Day 1? From an outside perspective, your record seems like it would be a great source of motivation to continue - but sorry...who am I to say what it is really like?
It gets easier, or should I say there are days that it is easier and then there are tough days. But on the whole the more I abstain the easier it IS to abstain.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-12-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Closed Thread