Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:07 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Man am I sore....

And tired... (sitting here having my first cup of morning coffee as I type.)
Yesterday I did my 45 minutes of strength training...and the all my old friends around here know this already-but for you newbies-my exercise schedule is as such for the present time:

MONDAY: strength/weight training & troupe rehearsal in evening (dance)
TUESDAY: cardio plus private lesson in evening (dance)
WEDNESDAY: strength/weight training or every now and then I will replace a traditional strength training workout with a Pilates strength training one
THURSDAY: cardio
FRIDAY:strength/weight training
SATURDAY: cardio cardio or sometimes yoga
SUNDAY: cardio or sometimes yoga

Mondays are my hardest days...because I strength train during the day...and have a 1 1/2 hour dance rehearsal in the evening-part of that is talking/discussing/placement etc. but at least 45 minutes is dancing after a strength training workout earlier in the day.

Last night really killed me-as when I strength train I "switch around" my strength workouts so I am not doing exactly the same exercise video each time-even though I do full body workouts. I find that one vid that I have may work my arms a lot more...another may have a killer ab segment...and yet another may kill my buns and thighs...well yesterday was a bun/thigh killer-and I ended up having to do some bun/thigh killers all through rehearsal! Walking down the stairs from the dance studio my thighs were literally shaking between each and every step!!!

I think I am gonna take it a little easy on my cardio today-since I am so sore and I still have a private lesson tonight to get through!!! I have a shorter 20 minute cardio workout that I can do instead of a longer, more intense one.

I have found over the past few weeks that I have had to up my caloric intake on Mondays due to the heavy exercise...if I don't up it throughout the day a little and save some for an after rehearsal snack...then I am ravenous and will eat everything in the house-so as long as I am pulling these double workouts on Mondays-then I will be eating 1800-1900 calories on those days.

*For those of you who do not strength train-my schedule is as such because you need to allow 48 hours of recover time between strength training workouts for a body part. You can strength train every day-but you must "split" it...like upper body one day and lower body the next, or some other sort of split-but due to my busy weekend schedule it is easiest for me to do full body strength training 3 days a week during the weekdays-leaving me the weekends for cardio/yoga practice/dance performances if we have them scheduled.*

Holly-It really sounds like you are learning pretty quickly at your new job! Good for you! I am glad to hear that you have been promoted to a higher, more responsible position there at the store!

This week is Jasmine's last week at school before holiday break. We have a holiday gathering Friday night...and on Sunday as well. Then we have them on Christmas Eve, Christmas, and the day after Christmas. Give me strength to make it through without gaining!!! I am pretty confident that I will make it through continuing my exercise...and the gathering on Friday evening will be good-my grandmother always has a fresh veggie tray and baked turkey...it will just be avoiding all of the sweets. On our longer visits I plan on bringing some healthy foods with me. Sunday, for instance, we went to Jason's cousin's 6th birthday party...and instead of cake and ice cream-I had thrown a green teabag and 2 clementines (mandarin oranges) in my purse and had them with me to eat instead. They were perfectly portable-and I had NO Cake!

Well...you ladies have a wonderful day. And don't forget to check out the recipe sections here at 3FC for some things you can cook/bake for the holiday gatherings that are a little less caloric and fatty. It really helps when you have a side dish other than veggies that you can sit back and enjoy. Find one that sounds good-and take it with you to the holiday party you are attending. You know how many calories are in it...and you can feel good knowing you are going into the event prepared. Bring your dish, and scope out the diet sodas, water, and fruit/veggie trays!!! You can do it!

You know...my husband's family always tells me at an event "It's just ONE day..." Well...if you count the birthday party Sunday, plus my events on Friday, Sunday, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of next week...that is 6 days of bad eating in two weeks time. I just can't allow myself to do that!!! I have to be strong at least most of the time!

This is a hard time for us all...holiday business, stress, no shorts or bikinis to have to look at ourselves in...(much easier to avoid our bodies when they are cozied up in sweaters or flannel pjs!) and all of the food around...we need to be in here and stick this through together!

Aphil
Old 12-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 212/144/130

Hi Ladies

Now I have already said, I am not going to get too upset until the holidays are over but "Oh boy" have I been having the muchies! I ate almost a calf of a bundle of califlower! The bad part is I was dipping it in the left over ranch dip I had at the party! I should have thrown it away I just could not stop, I was craving that ranch dip! I know we are all struggling right now. It is not only the holidays but that it is winter. I really do not want to start of the first of the year that far behind by gaining too much weight but if I can get by til then with out gaining or loosing I am fine with that. I am going to clean out the house on the Sunday after Christmas and make sure I buy the right stuff that weekend at the grocorie store. I am going to start a tight work out and eating line up starting on the 27th!!! I just hope I can get my self under control. It has been too rainy or chilli to get out and walk over the last few days and have been too busy to work out at home . Today I had a huge piece of that a co worker gave me. I just think winter brings the munchies.......we will all have to regroup after Christmas and really get strict.........

Aphil for being able keep up your work outs. I have failed on both but am not giving up. One day at a time, is what I say!

Have a good rest of the week girls and try not to give up, it is just a bad time right now.

Amie
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #108  

Sorry that I have been AWOl for a few days. I gave in and went to the doctor with my sinus infection as I wasn't getting any better. She gave me a rx for a ten day course of antibiotic and a stronger sinus med. I have had the worst headache.
I am just lying around because I have no energy. I dread seeing what this lack of activity is doing to my muscles, but I'll just have to go with it until the meds kick in.
I don't get sick very often so I am ready to get well quickly! The only good thing is everything tastes like sawdust so I'm not over eating.

Hang in there girls. The holidays will be over soon.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #109  

Default Newbie!

Hi everyone!
I'm 19 and a sophomore in college. When I was a freshman/sophmore in high school I was a pretty skinny kid and then I got some "womanly curves" meaning two large ones, my gut and my butt, unfortunealty I wasn't blessed with equally large boobs (thanks mom). Then going to college has even made it worse. It's about time I get my act together. I don't want to do one of those fad diets, I want to change the way I think about food and exercise for good. And this place sounds like a good place to get some support! I'm going home for christmas break on Thursday for a month... which is good because I need a break, but is bad because of the holidays and I definitely associate home with food. Since as of now I don't exercise at all, except for walking to classes, that will be my biggest goal. I definitely need to work on emotional eating, but I think right now exercise is more important. Right now I'm 5'4 and weigh 145lbs. I don't have a goal weight in mind.. okay maybe 120.. but it doesnt matter as long as I'm in shape. This summer I want to have nice trim arms to show off in a cute tank instead of hiding my wings in hoodies. Does anyone have any advice on how I should start incorporating exercise into my routine? We just got an elliptical trainer thing in my house, I havent seen it or used it yet, so I could start using that i guess. I don't know anything about machines like that though, I know I should probably start off with small reasonable goals. and not say i will exericise an hour everyday at the very beginning. So maybe 20 mins a day? Or an hour every other day? I would really appreciate any advice! Thank you!! Chubbella
Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #110  

Hi everyone!

Chubella-welcome!!! I am going to suggest a few things to you here...you weigh in at 145 and are 5'4"...how about setting a "first goal" at 130 pounds instead of 120. It may be more suitable for your height. You are slightly overweight for your height...but not much. I have the sneaking suspicion that you are only a few pounds overweight...but your issue here may be that it is not so much that you are really heavy (losing 10-15 pounds may be just perfect for you) but that you are probably "out of shape". So...if you would bear with me here...you are probably in need of whipping your muscles into shape. I have a plan for ya...

~Food intake: Try eating 1600 calories a day. Get a small notebook (diary sized) and write in your food each day. It may seem like a pain, but it keeps you in check of what you are really eating...makes you more aware...and you can keep your calories in check. Split it up...don't eat 200 calories all day long so you can eat a huge 1400 dinner. Spread it out. 400 for breakfast...400 for lunch...200 for a snack...600 for dinner...just an example, but spread it through the day so you are not starving. This should privide you with a slow and steady weight loss.
Make good food choices when you can-choose fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, skim dairy, and whole grain starch over refined processed starches. You can eat out occasionally-just make healthy choices. You can go just about anywhere and eat a lower calorie meal. There is a lot of information online if you are going to a restaurant-you can get the calorie information at just about any restaurant nowadays. Try to limit your junk calories-ice cream, candy, sweets-even if they are low fat or fat free are still not "good for you" and don't fuel the body...so try to limit that to an occasional treat.
~exercise: This is the area where I think it is going to be of utmost importance to you...because I think your unhappiness with your body truly lies in this area the most. You definitely want to start simple and slow. I would recommend 20 minutes a day of exercise to start. You want to get yourself into the habit of regular exercise FIRST...and then move up in time and intensity from there. 20 minutes a day...and here are some recommendations:
~walking: Keep a watch with you or a timer and walk the mall (nice in the winter) or outdoors, or on a treadmill if you have one available.
~eliptical: You said you have one available to you...learn how to use it and strive for 20 minutes a day. If it is too hard at first-try 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes later in the day.
~Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk videos: She has quite a few varieties that have simple steps, and you can do them in your living room. They are approximately 20 minutes long and are equal to a 1 mile walk. They are available at about any Wal-Mart, Meijer, Best Buy, or other video/dvd store.

All of these exercises are both "aerobic/cardio" exercise. They burn a lot of calories, strengthen the heart and lungs, burn fat, and up your energy level.

Once you get into the habit of regular exercise 20 minutes a day (after a couple weeks) then it is time for you to add some strength training into your routine. Let me know when you feel like you are consistently exercising 20 minutes a day and are in that habit faithfully...and we will discuss adding strength training and other forms of exercise into your routine. You have to start slow if you want to stick with it.

If you have any questions about anything-about exercise, or your food, or anything at all...just let me know. I do want to add that it is very important not to jump on the scale every day...once a week is better.

amoses (this applies to everyone here as well)-Here comes your drill seargeant! You mentioned that you want to clean out your kitchen and start anew on the 27th...that is 12 days away, almost a week and a half. You also mentioned that you are having trouble keeping your exercise commitments as well. You know...if you lived close to me I'd be knocking on your door right now!

I am not going to let you wait 12 more days to do anything. You came here to 3FC for support and accountability...and you got it in me. I am challenging you right now to get back into your exercise habit. If you want to wait until the 27th to get back to your eating plan...then I can accept that...but this would be an opportune time for you to concentrate on your exercising without worrying about anything else. (i.e. eating) Eat at your holiday events if you must...but I want you off of that couch!!!

I don't want anyone here to EVER feel like if they overeat one day-that there is no reason to eat well the rest of the day or not to exercise. Don't eat a box of cookies and be like "Well, I've already ruined today...I may as well eat whatever I want the rest of the day and not exercise-I'll get back to it tomorrow." Tomorrow often turns into 3 days, or a week, or a month.

I would like everyone here to read the Sticky I have up called "Falling Off The Wagon" at the top of General Diet Plans-even if you have already read it...read it again.

Yesterday afternoon I had a small binge attack. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done...but I sat there afterwards and said "I am NOT going to cave the rest of the day. Why turn a snowball into a landslide?"
I did my exercise...and I planned my dinner and evening snack to be about (calorie-wise) what they would be if I hadn't fallen off the wagon. That way my splurge was only one incident...not an eating orgy the rest of the day.

Do not turn a bad incident into a week off plan. You can't afford to. We have shorts and tank tops to wear in a few months!!!

I want to start up the food journaling here again for a few days to get everyone back on track. We are all struggling at this time of year...so don't worry if you have a binge to report-but I want everyone to be accountable. If you "fudge" your journaling...the only person you are hurting is yourself.

This week I would like everyone to report their food and exercise up here to get us all honest and back on track.

We can all start tomorrow reporting our food and exercise from today. I am in the 160's...and I would really, really, love to be around 150 pounds this summer. I have some great definition in my arms and abs and legs...and I want that to show through more by losing some of my fat layer still covering it. Think tank tops, shorts, and bathing suits ladies. If that is hard to visualize...get out a pair of your shorts or a tank top-and lay it where it can be seen in your bedroom. I want you to think every time you see it that you have to wear it in 5 months.

We have to understand that life is going to happen around us...and we have to deal with it. Birthday parties, holiday events, Halloween candy...it is all going to happen and keep happening-we are the ones who have to maintain control. This journey is lifelong...we have to maintain control the rest of our lives...not just in the weight loss journey-but for lifelong maintainance as well. I struggle just as much as the rest of you...don't let my being a mod or having a lot of information make you think that it is any easier for me to avoid the chip bag. It's not. It was so hard for me not to "take the rest of the day off" yesterday. I regained control after my munching...and it is what we have to do.

You can do this...and I am challenging you to do it. Everyone here who is struggling to lose or maintain their loss...we need to be in here and be honest with each other and ourselves-because that is what we are here for.

I love you all...and if we pull together I have the confidence that we can succeed. Make yourself a priority.

Aphil
Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #111  

Oh Boy Aphil, You really put me in my place! Thank you for that, really....
I am just having such a hard time right now. It all started in July with the move and has slowly gotten worse while I am grasping to hold on. Good idea about the daily journals. I use to be so on it, I slowly have let in my old habbits and less exercise and feel it all slipping away! I have the hardest time with dinner and exercise! I will have a perfect day and then eat too much for dinner or eat something really high in fat. Then I can not seem to find any time to exercise with out neglecting my DD or the house? I know I need to make choices and do it but I am out of sync and can not seem to fully bounce back. I lost the major part of my weight while on a 7 month lay off so I was home all day. since comeing back to work it has been a slow slide back to almost no exercise. I have not totaly given up. Like yesterday I had my whole wheat dry toast with 1 tsp of peanut butter and a cup of coffee. Then at 9 AM I had a apple, for lunch a friend gave me this huge over sized slice of pizza and I had brought in about a cup and a half of left over lazona I ate the pizza then ate like 4 bites of the lazona becouse I like it and it was sitting there! Then I ate a yogurt at 3 and I went home last night and got back into the dip!!! (it is in the trash now and so it the cake) For dinner I ate a palm size steak, pan cooked in pam spray and a big baked potatoe. The sad part is I put butter and sour cream on it. I can not eat baked potatoes with out the fat so I had not been eating them? I felt so full after dinner. I know I need to think about what I am eating but the biggest thing is the work out! Please help me. What you said really made me think. It was like getting cought doing something wrong...LOL. I am going to lay out my day and I need to see where I can make changes or time to work out. I do not have a lot of time during the week. Now the weekends I know I am lazy, I am not, I repeat I am not a morning person ....I do not get going till late then by the time I get the house work done and spend time with my DD and cook and eat I am ready to relax...So here is my day and eating plan...Help me to get the time in? I have a nice treadmill at home, am getting a elliptical for christmas and I work in a large city and sometime do the stairs (I am on the 13th floor). I also live accross the street from the school where they have a nice running track and tennis courts.....The options are all there but not the time or energy.

Wake up at 5:45 - 6:00 AM get my self and DD ready
Leave to drop of DD and go to work at 7:15 -7:30 I am always late!
Get to work at 8:15-8:30 AM
Lunch From 11:30-12:30 (was walking 30mins here but it is cold now??)
I sometimes take a work break and walk with a friend here for about 15 mins at 2:45
Leave work at 5:00 but get home at 6:20 PM (traffic is very heavy)
6:30 PM change and start dinner
7:30 dinner is done and am cleaning up kitchen, getting DD and my own clothes ready for next day and making work lunches for DH and myself.
Husbend is feeding dog, taking out trash and getting his work clothes and stuff ready for next day.
8:00 PM cleaning up a little while I get DD into tub. While she is in tub I usually am folding a mountain of clothes, putting in a load or picking up the house, feeding fish....Once in a blue moon I will FF through a recorded 30 min show on my DVR? I have used this 20-30 mins to walk before but I am in a big rush, and am being yelled at every 5 mins? Then if my DH can get her out and dressed she cries at the door. If I let her in she is fine but is all around the treadmill making me nervouse and I get frustorated.
8:30-9:00 Fighting to get DD teeth brushed, dressed for bed and hair done. We have tried to let DH do this part but DD says she wants me and will fight to the dealth and If I am in the bedroom all I hear is screaming and fighting?? He has tried??
9:00 -10:00 PM on the couch trying to get DD to sleep watch one of my fav weekly shows I DVR.....My DD will not go to sleep till like 10 PM! I have to get to bed as soon as she goes to sleep.........Help! I have did my treadmill, depending on the meal, if it is a fast one and I leave the dishes, I would walk from 7:15 to 8PM But I need to spend a little time with my DD which would be also at this time then I don't get the kitchen cleaned up that day. As far as eating. DD only eats a few things.......but my DH is so picky only meat and potatoes, hamburgers, hotdogs, spegetti.....the norm. But I eat really good all day then over eat at dinner (sometimes)? or on weekends I may have a bad lunch or a bad dinner? What do you think? On the weekends I get up at 8:00-8:30 AM then I drink my coffee till 9AM then breakfest and cleaning for a while. Then I will have to run out to do stuff or do something with my DD. Sometimes I will make it something like a walk with the dog or a bike ride so we are out exercising but now it is colder? In the evenings we are finishing house work cooking and I love movies and we will watch a movie and it is bedtime again. I do not need help with the weekend I know I have time to work out it is dinner, and the weekdays!

Amie

Last edited by amoses; 12-15-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #112  

hi amoses!

My husband is REALLY picky...pizza, hot dogs, etc. he has the palate of a 5 year old. My children do eat fruit and vegetables...which makes it easier. There are a few things you can do for dinner to make the "kiddie food" everyone likes a little better for you without them realizing it.

~buy light hamburger/hot dog buns if you store carries them. They average around 80 calories instead of 100-120. Every little bit counts. If your husband and kid want hamburgers for dinner-make them for them. Buy a package of frozen veggie burgers (original BOCA brand is good) and fry yourself up one in a separate pan at the same time you make theirs. I believe they are 80 calories each...so you would have a burger base there for under 200 calories. Choose low calorie toppings instead of cheese or mayo-pickle, ketchup, etc. If they want chips or fries with theirs-make it, but have a side of fruit or a small salad with yours.

~Baked Potatoes~there are numerous things you can do here. Butter is 100 calories a tablespoon. You can get light butter for around 50 calories a tablespoon. Measure it out-get used to using a little less. You save 50 calories right there.

~hot dogs~If you must eat hot dogs with your family...buy ones made with turkey. They are lower calorie-if you get light buns you can save calories there as well.

~Try to make fruit or veggies a side at every dinner. You can get creative. Cut up a banana in a bowl (110 calories) and add 10 grapes (40 calories) and maybe a few strawberries or other fruit...and do the same for your daughter and husband. Fruit is more fun when you make it pretty like a fun dessert...and everyone will benefit.

~If you make "Helper" style meals-choose the chicken or tuna varieties over the pork or hamburger. If it calls for a spoonful of butter-omit it. If it calls for milk-use skim. You can figure up the calories in the dry mix, and whatever ingredients you add to it-and divide it by how many servings it makes. (They are usually 1 cup servings) You can save 20-50 calories a serving by omitting butter and using skim milk.

~corn on the cob~an easy side dish. Just boil the ears and it's done! Unlike baked potatoes-it is not dry without butter-and fun for kids to eat.

~Realize that it may take a few times of trying something or being exposed to it to get your daughter to eat something. If you continue to offer healthier foods-she will learn to try them and begin to like them. My son now drinks chocolate soymilk and loves exotic fruits like clementines, mango, and kiwi. (He's 3.)

~As far as the exercise goes...commit to 20 minutes a day. It's not much. Everyone can make time for 20 minutes a day...either get up earlier, walk up and down the stairs on your lunch break...take a quick 20 minutes in the evening-the key is to think of it like an appointment. If you had to make it to get a haircut or meet your accountant or doctor-you'd make the time. You have to think of your exercise in the same way. Don't make it negotiable-that is the real key.

~As far as bedtime goes...I don't know what to tell you on that one. My kids go to bed at 9pm...and I don't take no for an answer. I am a stickler on stuff like that...I refuse to argue with a 3 and 6 year old. At 9:00 they get into bed...and they better stay there.

During cold weather exercise videos are my saving grace when I don't have dance class.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #113  

Default Awesome!

Aphil,
Thank you so much for your advice. It is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm going home tomorrow and I will start getting my butt in motion immediately! Today I have been studying organic chemistry all day so I havent been exactly burning calories or moving around that much, but in an hour I have to move out of my room into a different one across campus so I figure that will definitely be 20 minutes of suitcase and fridge lifting! When I'm home I'll do 20 minutes a day of exercise, I think thats a reasonable goal to just get me in the groove of things. I think that you are right, though sometimes I might feel like I'm grossly overweight it's mostly just because I'm not in shape and have no muscle tone, this should definitely make me feel better. The 1600 calories per day goal seems pretty reasonable, I've started to become more aware of calories lately, especially with drinking, not just alcoholic ones, sugary juices and Snapples! I love Nestea and Snapple and then I read the label a couple of weeks ago and realized that there is something like 2 or 2.5 servings in the container so I have to double the calories! So I have been sticking to mainly water, and fat free milk, and unfortuneatly some hot chocolate, but its 16 degrees today so I needed a kick this morning! Okay I have to move now! Thanks again Aphil! Chubbella
Old 12-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #114  

You are totally welcome! Soda, and sugary drinks like Snapple are full of added calories...you could probably lose 4-5 pounds over the course of a year if you kicked that habit alone! There are some great sugar free hot cocoa mixes out there for under 50 calories a serving...check them out and see if there is one that you like!

Aphil
Old 12-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #115  

Thanks Aphil.....
I do all that with the food. I buy lean hamburger, Light hotdogs and keep fruit around. I tend to get lazy with the veggies. My DD will eat corn and green beens she just turned 4. She eats potatoes too? My DH only will eat a couple of greenbeens to get DD to do it and he will eat Corn on cob or beens. I buy my self 12 grain bread or whole wheat but they only eat white! I have made spegetti with ground turkey but my DH could tell and ate it but didn't like it. I buy light butter and when I make something that calls for a tbsp of butter like mac and cheese or stuffing I do not add it. I just tend to over eat at dinner, only when I make something I really like. I do think I can find 20 minutes a day, I just get down on my self becouse I had been doing like 50 minutes on my treadmill and stretching before and after and doing floor stuff now there is now way I can fit an hour or so in during the week. So 20 mins every day is better than 50 min. once or twice a week I suppose. I do the stairs here at work I just feel like at this point in my weight lost, I am not doing anything unless it is 30min-1hour at a fast pace? I guess I am being hard on my self it is better than nothing at all! I had built my self up to the point that I had to do an hour but that is becouse I was only walking. I think the elliptical or trying to do videos will give me a variety. The Bedtime thing is a problem! It seems like from 6 wks old to 3 yrs she was in bed on her own at 8 PM then slowly it got later and later. We also got into that bad habit of letting her fall asleep watching tv with us. Now if I put her to be and leave she will be up in a heart beat. After a long fight and threatening etc...She will lay there and cry then after a little while come out again! I have to lay in there and it is still 10 before she is out and I walk out. It is our fault and at that age it is so hard to reason with them?? She is a night person like we are and she sleeps till 7:30- 8:30 on weekends. I will have to work on breaking that habbit! Know that I think about it. Her going to bed is really been weighing on me. I use to really use that 8-10PM for my self and now I have none! Even when she has gotten up at 7:30 and had no nap she will still be up till 10, it is a habbit..............

Amie

Last edited by amoses; 12-15-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #116  

Wow, I know who to look to next time I need a kick up the ***. Now's probably not the best time to mention that I went to pizza hut yesterday... And I didn't get a salad . My logic is that i like the dressings too much, but that doesn't really work if you have pizza and garlic bread instead. Thankfully it didn't show up on the scales this morning. I should know better than to have a blowout the day before 'weigh day'.

Foodwise today's been pretty good. But even better (am seriously pleased with myself) I did an hour workout, which I haven't done for ages, my thighs are telling me I shouldn't do it again in a hurry either, and I walked to this shopping park we have, an hour each way... anything to avoid starting my holiday reading.

My journal's been suffering lately, but here goes -

Muesli and semi-skimmed milk, a clementine
Salad with 1/2 small tin of tuna, a hard boiled egg, 15g cheese, tablespoon of tinned sweetcorn, 2 gherkins (are these pickles in american?), cucumber, lots of lettuce, rocket, watercress & a teaspoon of mayo.
2 clementines
Small/Medium baked potato and teaspoon butter, 1/2 with pesto, other with brie and pickle (don't ask!), salad (inc. coleslaw & 'pizza express' balsamic vinegar on tomatoes, hmmm).
a clementine
tomato - to stave off the munchies... strangely didn't work so I'm here instead.

2.5l water & lots of tea with semi skimmed milk.

Hey, Chubella, welcome. We're about the same age . I'm a newbie too (kinda) and Uni's not been great for my waist either. I'm working on that bit though .

Hope everything's going ok for everyone,

Frances xxx
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 AM   #117  

Wow Aphil you are one tough lady! I'm scared of you! You are just what we need to stay on track. I don't know about anyone else but I could do a lot of damage in 12 days.

amosos, try cooking spaghetti with shredded chicken breast, it is so good. My boyfriend loves it. There are times when I decide to make a recipe without cutting fat, and I absolutely CRINGE when adding butter, shortening, etc. I can make a can of shortening or bottle of oil last for a year. I only use skim milk when cooking, my family doesn't know the difference. It takes me awhile to use skim milk so I freeze half of it and use it later. I only buy lean hamburger and soak out any fat with a paper towel when cooking it.

Frances, now is the BEST time to mention that you went to Pizza Hut. Don't forget, we are all just like you.

Welcome Chubella. You will do great with this group. It has helped me so much.

Deb
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #118  

Hi everyone!

amoses-I know exactly what you mean about feeling down on yourself about the not exercising...and feeling bad about striving for 20 minutes a day when you used to do 50 minute workouts. But-you are exactly right when you said that 20 minutes a day is better than nothing. It really is. I have a Leslie Sansone 1 mile walking dvd that gives the equivalent of a 1 mile walk in just under 20 minutes. (I think it is 18-19 minutes long-I timed it once)
Over the course of a week it is 7 miles walked...I also have a few yoga videos (AM Yoga with Rodney Yee/PM Yoga with Patricia Walden/You Can Do Yoga with Leslie Sansone/Back Care Yoga with Rodney Yee) and they are all 20 minute workouts. There is also dvd I saw at Best Buy recently called "15 Minute Workouts For Dummies" that has short 15 minute workouts in sections-upper body (I assume it uses light hand weights), abs, lower body, etc. and a Pilates dvd called "Crunch: Pick Your Spot Pilates that is separated into short workouts by body segments. There is also a dvd series called "10 Minute Solution" divided up into 10 minute segments.

Maybe if your husband has some trouble picking out a holiday gift for you...or someone gets you a dab of cash something like these may be good for you. It may be good for you to choose a shorter workout that you can fit into your schedule. It is hard when you have 15 minutes and your workouts are 30+ minutes long.

As far as the bedtime thing goes...what you described reminded me of a Dr. Phil show I saw recently on children and their behavior. He said that if you have laxed and let them "get by" with something and now you want to be stricter...that they are really going to fight you at first.

If you have been thinking about her bedtime thing...and really want to change it, you will have to be prepared to deal with that. He said they will fight you and throw fits, get out of bed, etc. until they realize you are serious and are not going to give in. He said they will throw a fit to get their way...and if you give in you are doing exactly what they want you to do-so you have to hold your ground. He told the mother on the show that it may be **** for the first few days-they will scream, cry, get out of bed, etc. but if you are 100% in holding your ground they will soon realize that you are serious. (This was about a child who got up every night and got in bed with the parents-and after letting her they soon realized they wanted their bed back.)
I really learned some things about parenting ways when I got married. I was raised by sticklers-if they told me something I knew they were serious. My grandparents were the same way. Jason's family are very lax-and on the very opposite end of the spectrum. My MIL lets my kids get away with everything-backtalking her, letting them have something after she says no because they keep asking and asking...she doesn't hold her ground. When they spend the night they come back completely untrained and I have to take a day and get them back in line. They actually treat her different than they do my mother...because they will wear my MIL down...because she gives in...and if my mom says no-they don't ask again-and go on to something else.

I do think that it is important that you have a little time to yourself before you go to bed at night. We are moms all day long...and I have an hour at night after the kids go to bed before I do-and I can read a magazine article, or talk with my husband, or take a bath without kiddie interruption. In your case it may end up being your exercise time. If you decide to "take her on" and try to get her into her own bed...feel free to come and vent here about it. I know it won't be easy to do-it never is.

Just don't be down on yourself if she is throwing fits at you-they are pretty resilient. They just need to figure out they are not "the boss".

Don't be down on yourself about the exercise either...if you can squeeze in 20 minutes a day you will really start to feel better about yourself. You really will.

We are here for you...and I can totally relate with the kid stuff. Once a year in the summer my MIL takes my kids on her vacation. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it...because of what I have to deal with the first 3-4 days they are back. My husband even says it...so it's not just me.

Frances-don't fret about Pizza Hut! The key is getting whoever you are going with to order something lower calorie without them realizing it! Thin & Crispy Crust is the lowest calories...and a slice of Thin & Crispy Veggie Lovers pizza (out of a medium pie) is only 190 calories. My husband doesn't like that kind...so when we go we order a thin crust half Veggie Lovers...and half however he wants it. I get an iced tea or Deit Pepsi and I am good to go. I can eat 3 slices of it for under 600 calories for dinner and stay fine in my calories for the day. It isn't as healthy as cooking myself...but it is 10x better than a Pan Crust Meat Lovers.
I have found that I can eat about anywhere if I look up the nutrition info online.

Here goes my journal for yesterday:

exercise: 1 hour of total body strength training w/weights

breakfast: 100% mixed fruit juice-organic
soy nut trail mix (soy nuts, mixed nuts, raisins, cranberries)
lunch: 100%mixed fruit juice-organic
chicken soup
dinner: taco salad made with a TON of iceburg and romaine lettuce, 4oz. extra lean beef (organic-a local kind from a place that does not use antibiotics or growth hormones, etc.) fresh salsa, and measured out 1/4c. cheese...no shell
snack: Pom Wonderful juice (pomegranate juice-very high in antioxidants!) and a serving of natural high fiber oatmeal cookies

My calorie free drinks were a cup of coffee, water all day, and green tea in the evening.

I love you guys...and I hope that you all realize in my last few posts that I am doing this for all of our own good. We have to be a support team here...but we also have to step up and give everyone else the kick in the pants that we all need sometimes!!! Hey...I need it too some days. It has taken a few heart to hearts over the past couple years...but my husband has realized he needs to do this as well. I tell him before I family gathering "say something to me if I think about eating such-and-such." And he knows not to put a stack of Hershey bars in my Christmas stocking any more. Sometimes it just takes a little talking...to get a loved one to realize how important it is to you. Jason told me that he loves to get me chocolate because he knows how much I enjoy it (total chocolate addict here) and I told him that yes, I do enjoy it...sinfully so...but as soon as it is eaten...I feel BAD. I told him that the guilt of eating a huge slab of chocolate overpowered the pleasure of eating it. He finally got it. I told him that I can indulge in it now and then...but I would rather go to a fancy chocolate place and buy a single $3 truffle and savor it...than have him get me one of those huge $1 Hershey Bars at Wal-Mart that has like 5 servings in it! (Because of course...that equals ONE to me. )

Well, I better get going. I have a lot to do today...and today is cardio day!
Aphil
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #119  

Wednesday:

6AM 1 dry whole wheat toast w/ tsp peanut butter and a coffee
9AM banna and a coffee
10AM water
12AM small piece of steak w/ small baked potatoe w/1 1/2 tbsp butter(left overs),
water
2PM water
3PM apple w/ a wake up coffee (need to get rid of the extra coffees!)
4:30 water
6:40 1 BLT w/ 2 tsp mayo on whole wheat (2 1/2 pieces of beacon) 2 hand fulls
of lays chips and glass of diet coke. usually drink water??
8PM water
8:30PM got into the left over ice cream?? 3 bites of ice cream, like a large tbsp each?

NO Exercise Wednesday?........
Weighted in this morning (12/16/04) and some how lost 2.2lbs! After writing this I noticed that I had not relized, since I have been back in this office working, I have gone from one morning coffee to two (one after lunch to wake up) and now some times 3 or 4 a day!! I need to cut that down to 1 a day 2 at max.

So:
started at 212.0
June 04 Low 156.8
last week 164.4
Today 162.2
goal 128.0
Old 12-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #120  

Just wanted to add...Deb-no need to be scared of me...unless you are the "traffic control" lady at my daughter's school. She is a REAL pain...she opened my car door the other day to tell me about it when I pulled up LITERALLY 1/2 foot short of her directions. If there hadn't been 100 kids and my own there I would have pounded her. She has a lot of nerve...and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Aphil
Closed Thread