Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Julia-
At your current weight and age I would start out at eating 1900 calories a day and see how that works for you. What you want to do is split it up through the day eating 3 meals and a couple of snacks. Here would be an example:
breakfast:400
snack:150
lunch:600
dinner:600
snack:150
total:1900 calories

Concentrate on this part of it all first...counting fat grams can come just a little later when you are comfortable counting calories for a while. Your meals don't have to be exactly like I listed...it is just a guide-so that you don't eat two huge meals and nothing inbetween. Try to drink a lot of water, and avoid calorie laden drinks such as sodas and Kool-Aid. Drink something calorie free like a diet soda instead. Try to eat some fresh fruit and some veggies daily to start.

For under 150 calorie snack ideas-here are some of my favorites:

frozen banana: 120 calories (peel a banana, wrap in foil and freeze for at least 2 hours)

Yoplait Light Yogurt: 100 calories
1c. Silk chocolate soymilk 140 calories

gala apple 80 calories (small "bagged" size-the single apples you bag yourself are usually double sized-150 calories. gala's have a nice flavor to them...better than red delicious!)

skinny latte-in a jumbo size coffee mug-mix 1c. heated skim milk with 1 serving of espresso...add sweetener to taste) 80 calories and 30% RDA of calcium!

3/4c. seedless grapes 90 calories

clementine 40 calories (small seedless tangerine-they come in crates)

I have been trying to really stay away from "junk" even while staying in my calorie range throughout the day...these snacks are tasty, but a little on the healthier side.

Let us know how you are doing Julia! I am glad yo uhave joined us! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!
Aphil
Old 11-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #47  

Welcome Julia,

If you need help counting the nutritional values of your food try fitday.com. It's great and it's free. I use it every day and it has helped me loose 20 lbs. I tried the low carb thing once for 2 weeks and felt horrible! I had the worst headaches the whole time, after the first few days. Take Aphil's advice and start small. You don't have to do everything at once. You will get there, just don't quit.

Debbie
Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #48  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello ladies!

Julia, welcome! and you're right, we ARE a tight-knit group here I'm almost at my three year annniversary here Though I'm struggling now with a small gain, I feel pretty good that I can get back to where I was, and this group is how I got in the low 140's.

I would advise to...listen to aphil she knows her stuff!

Hello to everyone else. Irish tart, glad to have you back!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:22 PM   #49  

Hello All,
Thanks VermontMom. Glad to be back.
Welcome, Julia! Aphil gave some great advise. Work at your own pace, with your own fitness level and each day you will get a little bet stronger. It is doable.
Start where you are and take it one day at a time. Expect to have slip ups from time to time. The main thing is to remember that you are human and not let it get you down and just pick up where you left off.

This is a super group and I am thankful for each and everyone of you!!!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:59 AM   #50  

Hi everyone!

Julia-How are you doing? Hopefully well. The biggest thing you should work on getting comfortable with is your calorie intake. At your current weight you will do fine and lose with the 1900 calorie level. You won't need to drop that for a while. As far as exercise-that is the next thing to work on...but start slowly. Don't go gung ho and burn yourself out so you end up quitting.

If you are not active at all...starting small and short is best. I would recommend cardio first to get you moving in small segments. Taking a short walk each day-even if it is just around the block at first for 5-10 minutes is something if you don't normally do it. If weather does not permit it-5-10 minutes on a treadmill, or using your watch and walking the mall is wonderful.

If you prefer a video-a GREAT beginner cardio video is one of the 1 mile walk videos by Leslie Sansone. She has 3-4 that are 1 mile in length-and they average 15-18 minutes long. It is a very good start for someone just getting into exercise. The key is to make it a habit first...even if it is only for a few minutes-and then when you are doing it every day...then slowly increase time or activity level.

Holly-how are you doing getting back on track and fighting that little gain? Don't stress...I am right there with you. I have had a few too many licks and tastes...and I am up just a tad bit too...I must stop doing that and gt back on track with it all. I want to look good for the holidays...plus we have big shows in January, March, and April and I want to look FABULOUS.

We have the new picture back from our troupe photo shoot-but I have not had time to shrink it down so I can put it up here. If anyone is interested in seeing it and the costumes I slaved over this fall-send me a personal message with your email address and I will send it to you.

I am supposed to have a new shipment of items here tomorrow-so I have to get them all sorted and ready for the workshop on Saturday. I am SOOOO excited about this one...I am taking a workshop with the dancer who sort of inspired me to be brave enough to start dancing in the first place. She is funny, sexy, and an awesome dancer. Check her out at www.laylia.com .

Raiden is feeling better. Today is his first day back eating regular again. Poor little guy.

I am slowly getting my holiday shopping started...I have 3 gifts for the kids so far-1 each, and 1 for them both. Jason has 3...and I have Jason's little cousins done. I have so much more to buy...I am paring down the cost this year though...not spending as much as usual.

Aphil
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #51  

Aphil, I'm glad your SON is feeling better.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 212/144/130

Hi ladies

I have been having a great week! I have been sticking with my eating plan and have been exercising every day. I can tell I am loosing. Tuesday I did my Polates DVD in the morning then before dinner did a 2 mile walk on my treadmill (30-35 minutes). I can not believe next week is Thanks Giving. I have thought about how to stick to my plan and worried about gaining back but I have decided that I will stick to my plan and work out hard then on Thanks Giving eat a very light breakfest and then eat what ever I want for dinner as a treat then the next day I will go back on my plan..........I like to give my self a treat once a month like a big dessert or eating something really bad. It helps me stick with the diet and not give up or sneek as much. The thing is the left overs. How will we stay out of them?? At least turkey is good for you. LOL

Welcome Julia
You have come to the right place. Aphil has a good plan for you, but only you can decide what works for you and your life styles. We all have diffent goals and different weaknesses. I am a full time working mom and have gone from 212lbs to 156lbs. I did have a weight gain over the last few months of 10lbs but am back on tract and down to 162. The key is to eat but eat fresh healthy foods and in a smaller portion size. We are program to think that we are to eat 3 big meals a day and our bodies can not burn that off before the next meal, then add no exercise and you get fat! I use the plan where I eat 6 times a day and I try to use as much fruit, veggies and protien as possible. I also believe you need to do some type of exercise 4-6 times a week. Like Aphil said, just a walk around the block is better than nothing and it will get you started. I started out on my treadmill and barley did 20 minutes at like 2.0 mph. Now after a year I can do up to an hour at 3.6 mph (I am very short so my legs will not go too fast) The key is to find something you like and take it one day at a time. Here is a day for me:

6 AM 1 cup coffee 1pc whole wheat dry toast or 12 grain toast w/ 1/2 tsp
of peanut butter.
8AM Glass of water
9AM 1 pk of oat meal or bowl of healthy cereal with 2% milk or egg whites
with onion, peppers and a light sprinkle of low fat cheeze and a glass
of water
10AM Glass of water
12PM A light lunch, 1-2 veggies and a portion of protien (turkey, fish,
chicken sometimes a 1/2 cup of rice or pasta with the meat) Glass
Water
2PM Glass of water
3PM Yogurt, nuts or fruit (snack) Glass of water
5PM Glass of water
6PM Dinner (a meat portion (size of your palm or you can weigh it) 1-2
veggies and a 1/2 c of rice, beens, pasta etc...) Glass of water or 1/2
c 2% milk
9PM a cup of low fat cottege cheeze and Glass of water

This is just my plan but you can replace it with your times and fav meats and veggies. It helped me to loose 50lbs and all I did for exercise was walk but I slowly up the speed and time and when time was there I do a bike ride or play a work out DVD. Most women think they have to starve to loose but that just makes you balloon back up when you eat again. Good luck!

Hi VermontMOM are you doing any better with your diet?
Hi Irish, Susan and Debb....

Aphil glad your son is better, what do you think about my diet plan? I have kind of made it up on my own from all the things I have read and seen. I heard an apple with help with energy so I will eat an apple for my day snack and I heard that cottege cheeze can help burn fat over night to eat a c before bed and that is also for the 6 meals a day thing. I heard you should not go more than 6 hours without eating so I eat this 30min to an hour before bed. A doctor did a show on choosing food over diet pills and drinks and these where his comments. I sometime drink the protien shakes too for a snack and the Pria bars but got sick of them.....

My little girl will be 4 in three weeks She is so excited!

Girls be good next week and have a Great Thanks Giving !

Amie
Old 11-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #53  

Hi everyone!

Amie-it sounds like you are doing a good job!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #54  
Biker Chick!

hello ladies!!

thanks for the inquiries on how I'm doing. I think better, because I have realized and accepted that I've gained...now I have to really get tough with myself, and stop myself from the times I have eaten something when I wasn't hungry. And get back to measuring portions!! I did that so religiously...and haven't done it for so long.

I also have to stop my "stinkin' thinkin'" (are you laughing, aphil? I hope so!! ) My current stinkin' thinkin' is that I get annoyed/spiteful that my dh doesn't deny himself any food, anytime...I need to get myself over this.

I know I have done fine with my exercise. So the other two things are eating well and drinking the water. I think drinking the water does a LOT to help with the eating. So I will start by drinking the water. Today I've worked through almost 2 quarts (64 ounces).

Amie, you have got a great plan going!!! really. Kudos to you for doing that!

Hope every else is doing well. thank you again, ladies, for asking about me
Old 11-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 212/144/130

VermontMom- You know water and dinner are the hardest thing for me to keep up with. I can go a long time without a drink. I can even eat without a drink so I have to force my self to drink all the water so I put it in my eating schedual just like a meal......I also have a hard time to only eat a small portion at dinner...I want to pick while I cook and while I put stuff away! The work outs are a challange unto it self!!! I walked stairs today at work because I skipped my lunch walk. Then I did a 20 min walk att 2:30 with a co worker. I am trying to move in any way possible??

Does anyone have a really good old fashioned stuffing reciepe? One that does not have nuts or cranberries.....My husband will not eat that. I want to make some home made stuffing. Since it is ThanksGiving it doesn't have to be low cal or low fat. (keep in mind I can not spell, I am an engineer and know numbers) Also I use to have a broccoli cassarole reciepe that I lost and all I can remember that was in it is broccoli, cauliflower, mayo, mushrooms, graded sharpe cheese, maybe a soup and on top was crushed rits crackers ...It was so good but bad! Does anyone have one similar to this??? I need them soon. I will look on line but the ones there always are too dressed up and dh is a southern boy and will not eat it.....

Amie

Last edited by amoses; 11-18-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh Aphil!?! .... You know how you were talking about decorating your bathroom? Well, I caught the bug. The little one downstairs is almost finished (it's only gone up to around $70 because I had to fix some tiles I want to hang and buy a mat) and the big one upstairs may or may not get going in time for Christmas. Up here I'm going to try your trick with the white.

Hey! everyone. How are ya?

About the house/debt load thing ... it's finally all wrapped up. The funds get dispersed on Monday and our payments will be much easier to handle. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers on that one. What an uneasy time!

And on the health front ... I'm doing good. Being busy is about as good as being obsessed with exercise

Holly? I'm looking for a set of measuring cups that are nice enough to set on the table Once in a blue moon I have a cup of hot water. Have you tried that? It's not near as bad as I thought it would be.

Now, I'm making myself do some housework before I scoot off to WalMart for the finishing touches on bathroom number one. Ya know there's no fairy to do that if you're busy with other things?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #57  

amoses-

APHIL TO THE RESCUE!!!

Keep in mind that this is NOT low calorie or low fat...but a hillbilly recipe from my Kentucky relatives.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE:
2pkgs. frozen broccoli-slightly thawed
2 c. grated American cheese
1 "sleeve" of Ritz crackers crushed
1 stick of melted butter or margarine

Place broccoli in casserole dish. Add cheese on top. Sprinkle crackers over top. Pour melted margerine over crackers. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.

Hope that helps you out for Thanksgiving!

How is everyone doing! Thanks so much for the compliments from those of you who saw the troupe photo. Holly-I can make you a top like those any time...just let me know!

I am supposed to be getting a new shipment today of belly dance stuff...just in time for the workshop tomorrow. I am pretty excited about it. I have a ton of stuff here still...but I am supposed to be getting more harem pants, coin scarves, and jewelry today. I hope to have some good sales tomorrow...wish me luck!!!!!!
Today is strength training day...yesterday I walked 2 miles and did a short 20 minute yoga session. Tomorrow is the workshop-so I have about 4 hours of dancing in store for me. I am going to bed early tonight!!!
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Aphil
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #58  
Biker Chick!

Hiya chicas!

I didn't do stellar yesterday, after mid-afternoon. Had an unplanned mini-bagel (130 cals) ....and it was so good, and my stomach was still thinking it wanted another...so I did. Then I tasted supper before it was officially up for grabs

I dragged out my body measuring charts today - I had forgotten about them!! and I used to so look forward to the first of the month, if I had been "good" , to triumphantly write in them. I bit the bullet and took measurements this morning. My waist shows 1/2-3/4" more, thighs are the same, arms are the same, hips maybe 1/2" more? I'm really, really glad that they don't show more of a gain. I was afraid, that being up 7 or so pounds would have made more of a difference.

Maybe thinking of those measurements will be a help to me. I also did a change-of-pace video today, one that I haven't done in quite a while. Hope that the change of aerobic video might shake me up. I did the "Aerobics for Dummies (duh ) and I used half-pound hand-held weights to make it tougher. I've been doing the Keli Roberts aerobic tape very very regularly, but doing this different one really kicked my butt

She (Gay Gasper - what an appropriate name for a cheery aerobic instructor!!! ) uses, instead of counting your heart rate, a "perceived exertion" chart. I was looking for the choice "WHEN THE **** IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE OVER?!?"

amoses, I still admire your regimen. Portioning dinner is definitely the hardest for me. Something about daytime, I seem so much more in control. My self-control tends to go out the window in the evening. I remember in the days of old, when I would go to bed so I wouldn't eat anything!

aphil, my older son bought a box of clementines, and I've been helping myself to them what delicious, sweet, juicy little morsels they are! I had one, plus a cut-up banana, in my cup of yogurt this morning, and it was just so good.

I think I'm extra cheery today because I got a motorcycle ride in. Each time, it could be the last of the season, so I'm grateful. The temp. was 44, but with some sun, and lots of layers (and those chemical heat packets in my gloves) I enjoyed going about 30 miles.

Hello to everyone else, and STICK TO IT!! well, even if I don't, I can cheer others on

Last edited by VermontMom; 11-19-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have Gay Gaspers "Fat Burning for Dummies". I kinda like her. But I must be especially dumb because I can't follow the steps.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:49 AM   #60  

Hi everyone! I am up having my coffee before I head out to the workshop. I have a bit of a drive ahead of me.

Holly-I LOVE clementines. My favorite fruit...and the stores always get them through the winter. My kids love them too...Raiden ate 3 yesterday-one for a snack, and one each with his lunch and dinner. He calls them "OH-JANJES".
I am having 2 clementines and some yogurt before I head out...and I packed an apple, some soy nuts, and a few other "on the go" foods for eating through the day. When I have workshops I don't actually get to eat a "meal" until evening...so I bring healthy snacks to nibble on breaks.
I know some of the videos by Gay Gasper...you are right about the name! It is so good to change up your tapes now and then, huh? Yesterday I did 45 min. of strength training-and today I will be dancing for 4 hours!!!!!
I purchased one of the newer Leslie Sansone dvd's "You Can Do Yoga". It is a nice 20 minutes of flexibility/stretching using very beginner yoga poses. I like it. It is not a calorie burning workout-but a good intro to learning yoga before going on to other tapes, or a good stretching/relaxation workout. It really is good for stretching out the legs, hips, and back. It provides some strength training as well in some of the poses. If you are at all interested in yoga-try it out as a beginner video.
Well, better get a move on!
Aphil
Closed Thread