The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #106  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i must admit i am feeling much more energised having nearly completed the first week of Jillians program. I have my last circuit tonight and then 1hr of cardio tomorrow and then . . . . . da-da-da-daaaaaaa - the weight in on Sunday!

I really do feel like I have a better outlook on my life. Perhaps it is not all the workouts directly but the fact I have decided that now is the time and have just gotten on with it instead of beating around the bush and finding excuses to live in the rut I have been in. You know the one, where you just move from day to day without much hope for the next day being any better, just hoping it won't be worse than today? Now I feel good and am starting to look forward to the workouts.

I still need to manage my foods properly though - that's my tough point. I still find it hard to mix fat, protein and carbs into each meal. However I am eating when hungry and not emotionally which is good. OH bought home a packet of chips last night and I swear normally I would have opened them after he had gone to bed and eaten all of them but no - I had my portion of dinner, watched some tv, had a shower and jumped into bed with a good book. Much better .

I notice that a few of us have not been on track all week with our eating too, so I don't feel so bad about it. Tomorrow is a new day, right?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #107  

Over all I like the program but I think I slack off in the 'follow through' dept when it comes to resting between reps. Pushing myself through them is one thing, doing them but doing them VERY slow is another. Today I'm going to work on upping the pace.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #108  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

I am using fairly heavy weights during my workouts. I use 10,15,20,25,30 pound dumbbells depending on the exercise.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #109  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Sorry but I gotta say it.....RockerGirl....YOU ROCK!!! Those are some hefty weights. Have you always lifted them or have you progressed over your 5 weeks? Keep up the good work.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #110  
Puggy Balboa

HI, everyone! Well, I'm on Week 3, Day 4. Day 3 of Jillian's exercise though and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm trying to work on the emotional side of eating, but is anyone else doing this at all?

On to some comments/replies:

Missqt, my weights vary, but I mostly use 25-35 pounds in each hand. I am extremely strong for some reason, but I used to be a heavily into weight training so my body adjusted fast to this. Your muscles are supposed to feel extremely fatigued after each set. If you don't feel it, you should definitely go heavier. I have heavier weights stored at my mother's and I am going to have to go get them. I just don't have anyplace to put them.

angel-eyes, I'm glad you get it now!

Daisy Boo, I so agree with your philosophies regarding these workouts ... mainly because they are my own! You can't believe how alike we sound! The only difference is decreasing reps or doing the pyramid technique. I have done these when I was body building, but Jillian is doing it this way so that you're hitting slow and fast twitch muscles.

I'll be back with more in a sec.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #111  
Puggy Balboa

More replies:

Daisy Boo, I can't wait to see your weigh-in! I feel a lot more energy as well. On my rest days, I feel like a slug though. Boy, do I know the rut you describe and that's exactly how I felt ... it was time to move on!

Mrs. T, I'm glad you're upping the pace. I know Jillian doesn't want us to kill ourselves, but the no rest part is to keep the heart right up. To get the maximum benefit.

RockerGirl, can I ask how old you are? I'm lifting with normally 25-35 pound weights. Sometimes I feel like a freak of nature for lifting this heavy, but it doesn't compromise form or anything. Just curious!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #112  
Headbanger

Angel-Eyes- Thanks!... I started out 5lb lighter on all the exercises than what I am doing now. Except the kickbacks and the lateral raise I am still using 10lb DB for those.

Emma- I am 36, I know what you mean I could lift heavier if I wanted to, but I don't want my muscles to get too big. I know it's a no-no to use the "bulk" word, but if I lift too heavy for a long period of time I actually do put on large amounts of muscle mass.

I remember about 1 1/2 years ago my sister and I wanted to see what our 1 rep max would be for the 3 big ones, squats, deadlifts, and bench press. My results were 225 squat, 180 deadlift, 135 bench press.... Scary I know.

Last edited by RockerGirl; 11-04-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #113  
Puggy Balboa

Rocker, I used to squat over 300 pounds. I don't mind "bulk" because I like it. I like you can put on a good deal of muscle mass. I guess only 3% of women are able to do it without drugs, but I actually like it. It's nice to have someone on the thread to compare with because at times I really do feel like a freak.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #114  
Headbanger

Emma- I don't mind it so much in my arms, but I don't like it in my legs. When I first started losing weight I really wanted a pair of those low rise Levi's and they would fit me good in the butt and the waist, but they would squeeze the life out of my thighs. So I stopped exercising my legs all together for a while.

Everyone- On my Saturday shopping I picked up a copy of the book that Jillian mentioned in the "questions" thread. The Calorie King "Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate Counter" 2006 edition. This book just came out so make sure if you are going to get it you make sure it has 2006 edition in the upper left corner. It is a great little book. I would like it better if it also included protein counts.

Also, for those of you who have a problem trying to get in enough water there is a product called "True Lemon" that comes in a packet that you add to your water that tastes the same as adding an actual lemon slice. Here is a link that you can request a free sample and check where you can purchase it in your area.

http://www.truelemon.com/healthy.html

Later,
Rocker
Old 11-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #115  
Puggy Balboa

Rocker, we do have a LOT in common! I also didn't want my legs huge and when they really started bulking up I ran more and did more reps.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #116  
Puggy Balboa

Just letting everyone know I am sick today. I don't know what happened, but I woke up with my head spinning. I'll hopefully update later. I hope your weekends went well!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #117  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Feel better soon, Emma!!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #118  

My daughter was very sick all day today, so I did absolutely NOTHING towards weight loss, or health. I feel drained and am headed to bed. I wish these days didn't exist but they do. I'm a day behind now on EVERYTHING. Good news is that the doctor said she is alright, just needs a lot more rest and to keep her decongested so it doesn't spread to her lungs. so I'm going to be absorbed with that for a few days. I may just start week three all over again next monday depending on how long it takes..
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #119  

get well soon wishing you health
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #120  

She is getting better, I'm just going to have to exercise and do my best this week when I can and start over on Monday.