The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #16  

Default waiting on book

I went to Border's and Target today. Neither one had Jillian's book. I ordered it from Amazon. Can't wait until it gets here!

Roberta
Old 10-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #17  

Hi,
I just joined this website. i have also just bought the WTL book but haven't finished it yet.

Couple of questions:
How do you figure out if your calories are in the percentage that is recommended by the oxidizer type? I'm used to counting calories but not figuring out percetn of fat, protein, or carbs.

Also I am an ER Nurse who works the swing 12hr shifts twice a week, so I don't eat during normal hours and sometimes aren't able to get to eat every 4 hours, how would you recommend I split up my meals. I'm usually eating dinner about 2-3am and alseep by 4 or 6am. I do however get my water in

I will be adhering to the program starting tomorrow. I'll keep you posted of my progress.
Thanks for the help,

Kathleen
Old 10-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #18  

Kathleen, I use fitday.com, but sometimes you have to add in all your own foods and it calculates it for you. Then you know what your percentages are. Not everyone really likes to use fitday, but I find it useful for keeping track.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #19  

Thanks for your help. Iwill take a look. Off to shower and great ready for work.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #20  

Default Question for Jillian

Hi girls,

I'm new here -- and I LOVE Jillian's book. Especially the exercise section. I am currently on week 4 of the routine and even though it's getting much harder, I am having a blast. I am trying to lose "thelast10pounds" and I can already tell that my clothes are looser even though the scale hasn't moved much. I figure I'm tightening up what I have -- and then I'll go from there.
But here's my question...what do we do AFTER the 12 weeks? I can see changing it up a bit and maybe doing a few weeks of something that is not circuit-oriented, but I'm loving this routine so much because it's totally kick-butt, but it's also fun! I do it at home (I have a TON of equipment) and substitute things like lunges or squats or step ups for leg extensions or leg press. The first 2 weeks my HR was up there for for a portion of each circuit, but in week 3, it was suddenly up there almost the whole workout. Ok, I'm gushing now, but I just want to give everyone the encouragement to keep going with the exercises! It's not just about the food in your mouth, and the exercise will help you so much with your outlook and general disposition. I know if I get to the end of the day and I've eaten well that I feel pretty good about myself, but when I get to the end of the day and I've finished a really good workout, I totally ROCK!

Cheers everyone,

Zoodie
Old 10-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #21  
Puggy Balboa

Ledom, I'd do whatever works also. I'm glad the workout was good for you. It's butt kicking, but my body is getting more used to it. Thank God! I'm sore, but can move around and such without looking like the undead. =)

Momma, I ordered mine from Amazon and didn't even get fast shipping, but it came two days later. Crossing my fingers this happens for you!

Kathleen, Jillian recommends keeping your food journal with you at all times. I am a high oxidizer, but I do not calculate all my protein and such because it can be done visually. For us, we're supposed to skip the sides unless they're leafy greens and concentrate on protein. I think if you did this and counted the calories, you'd be fine. Just keep substracting them from your total cals for the day. This is what I've been doing. Yesterday I messed up bigtime, but it's okay, I won't be a perfectionist and say "all or nothing so I'm done!" Usually though, it really works for me.

Zoodie, a hard workout also makes me feel like I can accomplish most anything after that ... like I'm Superwoman. Amy and I have also been wondering what the heck goes on after week 12. That's actually a great question. I was wondering if I missed something in the book. Maybe you should put that on the other thread and direct it straight to Jillian.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #22  
Puggy Balboa

Yesterday was day 5 of Jillian's program for me. I sucked ***. I ate way too much and didn't count anything. When I tried to stop to ask myself why I was doing it, I just kept coming back with, "I'm bored, I'm tired, doesn't matter."

I know everyone says this happens and to just move on, but I've never done that before. I've always basked in my failure and then stayed down, but lastnight I went to bed and started to write about the day (something I should have done hours earlier). I promised myself I would leave the day behind me and start fresh when I woke up.

That's what I'm doing. Plus, I still have two more days to my week. Two days that are up to me and has Bruce Wayne's dad says, "Falling is just a reason to pick ourselves back up." (paraphrasing here) LOL
Old 10-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #23  

Emma, I'm so glad you're picking yourself up today. I sucked with calories too.

Overall this morning, THE SUN IS OUT, and that sometimes makes ALL the difference for me. I'm used to a completely different climate. I've never seen so much rain in all my life. I was about 2-300 calories over by the end of the night. My husband didn't let me get TOO far off track, and I think I almost resented him for it LOL.

This morning for me 3 glasses of water and 3 mini fat free muffins, (going to add cheese to this for protien).

Lunch is a planned chicken salad.

Will check in later today for an update.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #24  
Puggy Balboa

I did pick myself back up. Thanks, Mrs. T! =)

My day has been really good. 10 waters, exercise done, and my meals have been based on my oxidizer plan. So far only 800 calories, but I have a planned snack for later, which will take care of being that low -- cheese, single serving popcorn, and diet pudding.

I'm glad we moved on and didn't bask in our "failures".
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #25  

My day has been much better as well, though not as great as Emmas was perhaps!

Emma you are doing a great job!

Tomorrow I am weighing again and re-doing my measurements. I still had questions about the ratio, but I guess it's fine the way it is especially if I lose weight evenly. I did well with calories and water today, there was no exercise today. I also did some meal planning at least for the week which was a goal today. I am off to the grocery store.

I hope everyone has a superfabulous week!!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 PM   #26  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

OMG - OMG - OMG

i have got the book thank god for amazon!

i am off to lunch now and am taking the book with me
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #27  

Have to take my little one to the doctor, so I am not getting my work out done this morning, but will get it done before noon.

Breakfast was awesome, I ate when I was hungry, got my vitamins etc. I'm on target for water and calories.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #28  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

I did work out two yesterday, it took longer the the first one. Am really sore, am really glad I get to rest today. Am down 1.5 lbs. at the end of the weekend. A weekend loss is ALWAYS a happy thing.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #29  

I'm hoping to join everyone shortly. I bought the book from Amazon and hoping to get it within the next couple of days. Everyone sounds like they are doing great. My biggest thing is the eating, need to get that under control and it will be nice to have a new workout routine to follow. I also ordered the videos from deepdiscountdvd but they are out of stock and not sure when they will be in. So I will follow the book until I get them.

So glad to have found this forum and will be talking to you all later.

Rhonda
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #30  
Puggy Balboa

Wow, everyone is dong so well! I did pick myself back up and my calories ended up at 1,197 yesterday. Today is my FIRST day off from exercise since I started. It feels weird, but I've been doing lots around the house.

I'll do a full check-in tonight!