Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #151  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

CREDIT for getting 100% on my Success Skills Sheet for two days in a row, for the first time. Let's see if I can get the 7-day streak I've been searching for.

WI: -0.45kg , Exercise: +40 630/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Huge credit for NOT getting seconds of a favorite food until I waited 20 minutes. I understand how much less I ate as a result. Also, I do not want to take for granted the amazing transformation i have had about sitting while eating. I have stopped virtually all of "licking the spoon" to clean it. I only taste when I am cooking. The post its have remained on the cabinet telling me to sit down. I realize again how important it is to practice these skills without restricting what I eat. I can't do both at the same time while I am still in this fledgling state.

Walk planned. Spontaneous exercise might be fifty sit ups. Weight is two pounds below ticker.

Gardenerjoy: I, too, have a hope of 100% success skills for seven days. I will start tomorrow as I have one more experiment (stop eating) today.
curleyjax:It is tough when a physical limitation stops us from exercising. Frustrating because the willingness is there.
BBE: Yum. Tuna fish and corn chips.
nationalparker: definitely good to look at upside of more time with hubby.
nuxmaga: Big credit for three pounds lost. Whoop! I am hoping for the same by the end of the month.
Ceejay: Right on! Being on a roll is so much easier than getting on a roll.
karenrn: Glad the cold is still keeping you off the trails.
love2garden: It is funny my sense of scale justice. I always feel I should be given a pass for a minor slip but then I am outraged if not immediately gratified but a saintly food day.

Last edited by maryann; 01-17-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #153  

Height: 5' 2"

Good afterenoon, Coaches.

CREDIT: Wrote my plan last night and am following it. Amazing!
CREDIT: Reading Beck's green book and realizing some stuff that passed me by as I read the Pink book.
CREDIT: Wrote out Resistance Cards, and read them again today.
CREDIT: 2 days following the Stage 1 Skills Success Sheet, but choose to go on until I have 7 days perfect, no mater how long it takes.
CREDIT: Down 1.9# since Jan 3 and 2.9# since before the first.

Gardenerjoy So glad you've been taking about these skills sheets, this could really be a help to me. Didn't understand about Cheating until I read further in Green book.

Maryann Good for you, not getting a second until you waited. Agree with the importance of practicing sitting while eating and recognize this wisdom.

Curleyjax Liked your reference to the benefit of this cold winter, at least the bugs aren't bothering us. Had to smile at that one.

Bill: Folk Dancing!! Good for you!! We used to Square Dance for years till our family business cut out time for that fun. Your struggle is what we get for cluttering our minds with so much other information, we simply have to push that aside to add more info.

Love the Green book, stayed up last night late before deciding that I am going to do something I've never done before. I'm going to do EXACTLY as Beck directs and even tho I'm planning my food night before, I'm not going on in the book till Stage 1 is well done. I can always renew the library book if I need to do so.

CREDIT: Forgot to add 55 minutes of strength training today and 16 minutes on recumbent bike. So sore, but so proud of myself.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #154  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Credit for 4 1/2 mile hike yesterday and 8 1/2 mile hike today. Credit for food on plan, too. I didn't have any alcohol all week, but did plan for and have 2 beers yesterday. Probably will do the same today. My current plan is to limit alcohol to 2 nights a week even if I have calories for it other days. Just gets to be a bad habit.

I challenged my friend to be 100% on program this week. We both admitted that there must have been little unmeasured bits prior cause we were both hungrier this week. I'm not sure I lost anything cause I also increased my hiking so much, probably will by Monday. My friend was delighted with a 3.2 pound loss at WW. I think we both have learned we delude ourselves a bit. I think it's better to know why I'm not losing instead of just thinking, "poor me".

Bill Yes, Bill, I'm adding weight to the pack to be ready for this summer's hikes. Also I'm backpacking the Grand Canyon on the end of March. I want to increase the weight very slowly, like a couple of pounds a week.

Love2garden Wow, good for you! Your motivation is inspiring.

Curlyjax What in the heck happened to your toe? What a bummer when the bod isn't cooperating.

Waving to the rest of you. It does seem many of us are on a roll. It does make it a bit easier that the holidays are over.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Here I am, starting again, again! Lovely to see so many familiar faces here still And looking forward to catching up on everyone's news!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #156  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A day with a few credits for me, too, today. Trouble sleeping during the night last night with DH's snoring and so moved to the living room instead of tossing and turning for more hours. Moved back to the bed when he was heading to work at 5. Bought Breathe Right strips to see if they'll help. Action taken.

Scale down under 166 - to 165.5 so reached my goal of being under 166 by Saturday and now aiming for "5 in 5" ... dropping five pounds in five weeks before our trip. First time here lately I'm reaching a goal, even if it's ONE POUND.

Took our dog on a walk after not getting out for ages for a good walk. Returned home to find that the lanyard that I take on walks with housekey was empty... locked house with no key on me and sun was setting and I was already cold. Luckily a neighbor was home and she still had a key for my home. I opened the door and ran it back over to her. This flummoxes me as the lanyard is ONLY ever used on our walks and why would DH remove the key and not just take the lanyard since for 10 years that's what I've used. Oh well, he took it and I said please just take the whole thing in the future. If the key is always on it, I don't look to see if the key would by chance be gone. (Am I the only one whose mind works that way?)

Headed to Macy's to use giftcards from months ago ... it was a mess - but managed to find two sweaters in Medium after I started trying on Larges, for only $20 total. Both are fine for work or casual, so that's perfect. Credit for putting other "good deals" back that weren't flattering.

DH found someone he works with who wants to buy my old car - yay!

Food has been ok today. Have the makings for a fresh fruit salad in the morning, and want to haul DH out on the trail as well.

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-17-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Thesaurus Day (Peter Roget born 1779)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Planned activities all day. I attended the Bat Mitzvah of a young friend - just under three hours of singing, drumming, and a jolly good time all of which caught me by surprise since I expected a stern, boring day of Torah readings. (The plagues of Egypt aren't really boring, though.) Spent time playing with a new puppy that's been brought into the lives of friends. Lots of energy in a small package.

I made some wise choices for the lunch, filling half of my plate with green salad and choosing only a small piece of a bagel to serve as a scoop for the tuna salad and stuffed grape leaves. Didn't seem like low calorie food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Celebrating 2 day into 7.

maryann - It's so powerful to wait 20 minutes - Kudos.

nationalparker – Ouch for getting locked out due to a vanishing key. Congrats for good bargains at Macy's, and Kudos for sticking to a plan for a POUND.

ForMyGirls - Glad you're available to tell us tales of warm summer weather down under while we're a bit cold up here.

Karen (karenrn) - So neat that you just keep hiking and hiking.

curlyjax - Good luck with that toe tendon - not a good time of year to go without shoes.

love2garden - It's amazing how seldom we actually just follow directions, like "I'm going to do EXACTLY as Beck directs" - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events
There are three difficulties associated with this notion: . . .

The dieters I work with are generally amazed when I tell them what I usually do at social events: I plan in advance to eat about 25 percent more calories - at most - than usual. Which is what I did last summer at my daughter's wedding. I skipped all the hors d'oeuvres except for a few raw vegetables. I ate all of my salad and part of the main course. I didn't eat any dessert. (I brought a lot of wedding cake home, though, and ate a small piece for my evening snack every night for the next week.) And do you know what? I had a fabulous time. I enjoyed what I ate and didn't feel deprived. in fact, I felt really good that I'd stuck to my plan and avoided overeating. The reason it was easy for me to do so? It's because of the idea I have: Being thinner is more important to me than the momentary pleasure of overeating on special occasions.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 217.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-18-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #158  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Sorry to have been out of the loop for a couple of days. The grandkids were taken out of their mothers home on Thursday evening and she has an ultimatum to go to rehab.my her poor husband is devastated, and I felt really bad leaving him yesterday when I traveled over the hill. I spent the rest of the day with ex-wife and grandbabies then met with their daddy to go to dinner. The kids are both super happy right now and we're just really hoping that Kirk's daughter makes a healthy choice.

So, today is work and then I think I'll probably practicing self-care since the kids dad doesn't work on Sunday. Then I'll probably spend time with the grandkids Monday and Tuesday after I get off work.

My food choices have been okay-ish. I'm definitely past that point of going to the store and grabbing every horrible thing I can find to binge on. I'm grateful for that. Credit. Despite being on a pretty tight schedule yesterday I stopped to mid trip and bought the fresh veggies I was lacking for my daily smoothly. Credit. It's still so grounding for me and is the best thing I can do for myself nutritionally every day. Credit.i'm getting everything washed before I had to work this morning.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-18-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #159  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Argh. Back to Beck. Lost. My grip back in June and am back to a miserable weight for me (see ticker). Tired of writing in my journal about how lousy I feel and what a crab I am because I detest living in my own skin.

So. Counting calories wth Fitness Pal and brainstorming strategies to deal with trigger foods my family insists we have on hand in the house.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

We decided to have a bit of creativity with cocktails last night. I had one; it was good; I enjoyed it. Last night, I thought I was fine with that sort of activity as long as it only happens once or twice a month. But I felt icky in the middle of the night. So, I think I want it to be even more rare. Not to mention that it puts me back to Day 0 on my 100%OP streak.

CREDIT for getting right back to it. I thought about not posting and not planning today. It wasn't meant to be a blow-out, just a break from the structures of weight loss. But, I know better. The structures are what makes this all work for me. So, here's my post and I wrote my food plan for today.

WI: -0.15kg , Exercise: +40 670/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: spending time with young folks and puppies sounds energizing!

Lexxiss: sorry for the family troubles, but so glad to see that the grandkids seem happy and that you and other adults in their lives are picking up the slack.

spanky: glad to see you back. I'm regrouping in 2015, too, with a new pass through the Green Book. Right now, I'm focusing on getting seven 100% days in a row of the Success Skill Sheets for Stage 1.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome back to Spanky and ForMyGirls.

Credit for Green Book Hunger Experiment #5 in which you put a food you crave on the counter top and don't eat it by choosing a distraction on a list. My food was a peanut butter cup. I ate one and left one on the counter. I also served myself a huge amount of a favorite meal, left half in the bowl, and then threw it away. It has always been easy for me to throw food away. Yesterday was no exception. I am grateful for that. I am working on my first 100% skills day in Stage 1. Planned hike in the mountains this morning.

Lexxiss: I am so sorry that you and those you love are caught up in the insanity of addiction. Sometimes my only answer is "There is a God and I am not it." I put your grandchildren in my prayers.

Last edited by maryann; 01-18-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone,

maryann - I am also focusing on the skills like you, love2garden and gardenerjoy are and I know it does help when I try to practice them every day.

gardenerjoy - totally agree about structure being so important. I am learning that I don't do well without clear parameters.

spanky - I know what it feels to just feel lousy all the time. Credit for counting calories and creating strategies to deal with food you don't want to eat in the house.

Lexxiss - sending you supportive thoughts and to your grandchildren. Hopefully their mom will be able to get the strength she needs to make the changes she needs to make.

BillBlueEyes -sounds like a fun time at the Bat Mitzvah and kuddos to you for being wise about your food choices.

nationalparker-good for you for reaching your goal this week.

ForMyGirls - good to see you back!!

karenrn - credit for lots of exercise and keeping food on plan.

love2garden- very nice list of credits. I love the green book too. I have Beck's advice on what to do to resist eating off plan written in a notebook I take everywhere. I try to read it every morning to prepare for the day.

curlyjax- LOL re no bugs to deal with. We had a fire in the backyard yesterday and I was thinking I might be "chilly" but at least I am not swatting mosquitoes!

Nuxmaga - fantastic that you are looking at a 3 pound loss.

For me- yesterday was the end of fourteen 100% on plan days for me doing South Beach Phase One. This is probably the first time in my life I have ate on plan, with not even a bit of wavering, for this long. I have lost 10 pounds and I feel so much better than I did two weeks ago. I mostly mean emotionally because I really needed to show myself that I could do this. So I am starting into Stage Two today and adding in some fruit and oatmeal. I will do this until next Saturday and then evaluate how that works for me. Next on the agenda today is to prepare a detailed meal plan for the week.

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and support. I know I would not be where I am without you!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #163  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default details

Coaches

Ready to commit and to start. I have the South Beach foodplan to follow, and my food planned and work-outs planned for the coming week. I think I am going to remind myself to keep this simple. Just follow the plan.

More later.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #164  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I realized that I started my note earlier yesterday and then just kept the window open until I posted, missing the return of ForMyGirls and Spanky - welcome back!

Busy day, unfortunately, as I was longing for a day to relax, read my mystery, some magazines, and come up with creative meals for the week. Ended up getting out early on errands and being out longer than I anticipated - everyone else was out before the NFL games as well. All meals on plan today - including turkey sloppy joes and homemade french fries tossed in olive oil and baked in the oven after soaking for an hour. Seems like SUCH a production and seriously, it's easy ... but I do them rarely. DH came in the kitchen and was hugging me, my wife, the cook. Haha ... If that's all it takes...

Have a good week of meals planned and one night we'll be at the dinner theater.

DH promised to walk with me tonight - I said I'd go during daylight unless he wanted to go after the game. Sure, so now I'm holding him to it. I'm losing interest quickly in the game as the dang Pats (sorry, Bill) have opened a can of whup*ss on the Colts. Apologies.

I splurged and bought a large package of the homemade pico de gallo at the market - I don't make that well, and we had most of that mid-afternoon with one serving of tortilla chips, but if each bite is loaded with those veggies, I'm fine with that as my snack.

Credit for making a fresh fruit salad to start the morning - grapefruit, orange, banana, craisins, and apple ... meal/recipe planning for the week ... and plan to get out on the trail this evening. Hmm... I felt that I made better choices than I can remember here.

Aiming to wake up earlier than DH and have alone time to post some personals!!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #165  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. I juggled six things to do in one evening (seriously) including the New England Patriots football game. Happiness around here as our team gets to play in the Superbowl in two weeks. I just read that Superbowl Sunday is the second largest food consumption day all year (in the U.S.) after Thanksgiving. Seems that moderation on those two days alone would yield the best results for only two days efforts.

Three events served food today - Ouch. I did some restraint but less than I really wished I'd done. Homemade food was everywhere. I did mound the green salad on my plate at dinner so that moderation for the other food was easier in the small space remaining.

onebyone – Plans are good. Simple is good. You're on your way.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for creativity! Ouch for creativity off-plan.

CeeJay - Bon Voyage into Stage Two, with Kudos for those fourteen days at 100%. Revel in the good feelings - you deserve them.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sending supportive thoughts for your family situation. Kudos for keeping your perspective and not seeking food for solace.

maryann - Super Kudos for doing the Green Book Hunger Experiment with the peanut butter cup. I wish I had your ease for tossing food.

spanky - Kudos for having a solid plan for charging forth. Restart is always a good time to stop the beating up on ourselves.

nationalparker – Yay for pico de gallo to wash down chips. Wish last night's game had better shown the strength of the Colts - Andrew Luck and the whole bunch. You'll be back next year.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

special advice for business dinners
If you're going out for business reasons, use the previously mentioned strategies and also keep the following in mind:
  • It's easy to become preoccupied with conversation, so make sure you separate off the food you plan to eat before you start. If you can, consider scheduling business meetings over coffee or drinks (you can order a low calorie beverage if you want) instead of over a meal.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 217.
Closed Thread