Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #256  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had some hungry moments, but those may be necessary to see a drop in the scale, and they aren't an emergency. I was rewarded with a nice-sized drop but not taking that too seriously -- if I'm not going to take the mysterious rises too seriously, it helps to not get too excited about the drops.

WI: -0.5 kg, Exercise: +30 1105/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
we are heading out tomorrow for a few days- my mother in laws memorial service is saturday (we delayed it from mid-december). It will be really good to see DH's brothers, they are the only two other folks left now from his immediate family. Some cousins etc will attend and it will be nice to make those connections again, so hard to do as we all age and live far from each other.
I'm making a plan to measure out my snacks for the trip (hoping the ferry won't be too rocky!) and be mindful. Its a healthy bunch of folks so there shouldn't be a lot of extra temptations around, just good food.

I'll probably be offline until we get back, so I'm wishing a good weekend and take care!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 165

Height: 5'6

Check in from iPhone. Day 1 of Stage 2. Filled in cheat sheet for five hard candies. But big credit for still trying to set myself back right. Weight two pounds below ticker.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #259  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not putting forth my best effort - the work stress is close to resolved. I think I chose more to soothe and while I won't say it didn't help, it wasn't worth it. I'd lie if I said I didn't feel a little better with the "comfort food" dinner of tomato soup and grilled cheese (made at home to control calories).

Anxious to start the weekend. Or more to the point, anxious to end the workweek.

Saw Alexander's Terrible, Horrible, etc. movie last night at the dollar theatre and DH and I laughed from start to finish ... nice to enjoy a movie with no f-bombs, guns, blood and just relax. We switched plans from Panera to a bbq place, and I sabotaged myself.

I question my goals. My motivation. My desires. My initiative. My stick-to-it-iveness.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #260  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Kids back in home with dad. Ex wife back to Minnesota until next court date. After events of yesterday, we are 100% certain we did the right thing . Now on to supporting Son In Law As a single parent of 2 beautiful children, a somewhat overwhelming task for him right now.

Food has been pretty good. Scale is stable. I'm going to have a treat tonight(planned) then get right back to my usuals. Credit.

My sis is here for her treatment so I traveled this morning. I let DH attend a night meeting solo and I'm going to bed early. Yay!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #261  
persist

S/C/G: 150/-6.4/-150

Height: 5' 6"

BillBlueEyesWe got an unexpected snowfall today. And the radio was saying it was the first instance of snowman snow in 2015. DH shoveled the porch, so only exercise by proxy to report for me. We have a mound of ice at the end of our driveway that will take being above zero to get rid of it. Lots of foodpushers at Costco--worse with the Superbowl. Seems like every calendar month there is some kind of pushing of food happening. You'd think it was a business or something the way they have to sell that stuff

gardenerjoy When I read you had a hungry day the light went on for me as well. Oh that's it I thought, I am just hungrier to day than the last few days. Don't panic. Nothing to do but stay the course. I thank you for the reminder! I was about to panic.

curlyjax Have a good trip. Enjoy seeing each other.

maryann Kudos for applying the cheat sheet and moving on.

nationalparkerCredit for posting and for asking questions of yourself. How else will you find answers?

LexxissMay you enjoy a good rest tonight!

As for me, I weighed in at 278 or 46.32 BMI. I have seen that BMI for so long now, and EXACTLY that number. It really bugged me this morning but it did not throw me off track. Credit. And as gardenerjoy described, well I too had a hungry day. At least I wasn't "hangry"=hungry+angry. I like that word very much. Hope it makes it into the lexicon.

Had a great work session at the potters' guild. Decorated my three thrown and trimmed pots with black underglaze which I scraped away to create a picture (sgraffito technique). It is very similar to making prints so I find it all very satisfying. So much crossover happening in my work it's endlessly fascinating to me. Afterwards I came home to worry about trimming and packaging my prints from yesterday only to discover the deadline has been extended thank goodness. Now they can dry properly before I handle them.

Foodwise I used leftover chicken and frozen veggies --2x veg to chicken ratio in a chicken curry after the planned chicken caesar had to be abandoned due to bad lettuce. I have leftovers for tomorrow.

Off to bed. Hoping for sunshine tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #262  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Checking in for the week. It seems to have been a pretty good one. I finished the prep phase and started the diet proper this week. Feeling hungry made me realise just how long it is since I felt that sensation. So no wonder weight was coming back on!

I have been doing well. Sticking to my plan and being gentle but firm with myself when I realise I have slipped up.

Two aspects of my plan I am really liking for the moment are the rules "do 500 calories of exercise a day" (the equivalent of 10,000 steps). Frees me up to do different things to get there rather than a rigid exercise plan, plus the motivation to do lots of incidental exercise to help me achieve it each day.

Second rule is "eat as much unadorned vegetable as you want (except potato) and just count the calories in everything else". It is taking some of the tedium off of tracking and giving me a space where I can relax about it all.

2015 is proving a year of (sometimes overwhelming) abundance for me. My new year resolution was to 'work the hours I am paid for' and I am continuing in my attempts to climb out of the financial black hole I put myself in over the last few years. And suddenly a dream career opportunity is opening up but it would require a significant drop in income and/or a big increase in work hours. I am so very torn but at the end of the day I think it will come down to "a career opportunity like this might come again but the chance to really know my kids as they grow up definitely only comes once".

I had a Dr appointment this morning. I had had a bunch of blood tests (the usual you're over 40 now stuff). I was really nervous about the results - waiting for the dreaded diabetes axe to fall- but it turns out everything is very good. I feel very very blessed to have such good health despite the unhealthy eating I have done for so long. To quote my Dr - I have been dealt a good genetic hand. Here's to not wasting it!!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #263  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Once again, again, exercise was shoveling a small amount of snow. (Is there an obvious way to say 'twice again'?) Walk, CREDIT moi, was to a bank to deposit a check. Mission accomplished rather quickly. "Don't I need to endorse that?" I asked. "Nope" the teller replied. DW wants to know how I'm sure that the money went into our account despite me waving the receipt about. We'll know soon enough.

Eating was on plan except for a large afternoon snack - Ouch. Seems like after I had an unplanned snack at Costco the day before, sticking to plan became an option. Ouch again. Today's plan is to stay the path.

onebyone Sounds healthy, "2x veg to chicken ratio" - Kudos for cooking from scratch even while being productive with your pots.

Joy (gardenerjoy) But those mysterious drops are such great secret pleasures.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Super Kudos for taking care of yourself even while you helped resolve this phase of your grandkids crisis. Continuing to send supportive thoughts as the situation plays out.

maryann - Do you type with your thumbs with your iPhone?

nationalparker Good grief! I've read that book to my kids a million times - talk about comfort food. Now, at your recommendation, gotta see the movie, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Glad work stress is close to resolved.

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts as you face your MIL's memorial service and restore family contacts.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time.. . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's sad that I can't eat everything I want.
Helpful Response: It's SO WONDERFUL that I can stick with my plan and lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 218.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #264  
Green Tomatoes

I ended up with an extra snack. That's the biggest break in my plan I've had in weeks. Why? Well, it's complicated. As was the day, which was much of the problem. The extra snack was about entitlement, compensation, "I deserve this food for not punching any living thing today."

Here's my new response card, "When I'm feeling distressed, overwhelmed, or behind schedule, drink a nice cup of hot tea before eating any thing for any reason."

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +30 1135/1200 minutes for January, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: so glad that things are moving forward in ways that are working for the best.

curlyjax: good for you for being prepared to enjoy the good parts that come along with memorial services.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #265  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

So helpful to read about feeling hungry from gardenerjoy, ForMyGirls and OnebyOne. That is the feeling, isn't it? It is the one that pushes the "I have to do something about this." button. There really is nothing to do but resist and comfort myself in a less satisfying way. And accept that less satisfying in the short run will help me reach my long term goal. Yesterday was in the bag for 100% until a late night meeting when cake was produced. Drat!!

100% Stage two skills practiced for today. Currently resisting to eat lunch at 11:00. I will wait until 11:30. I am an earlier riser so lunch is alway early but not THAT early. Step class finished. I have committed to two hours of cleaning after lunch. I can do that. I will inaugurate my fitbit to see how many calories that will burn.

Weight is two pounds below ticker.

BBE: Good reminder that the food plan is not an option. I did this really well last week and want the same for this week. I text with thumbs but very poorly.
nationalparker: It is very easy to let work encroach upon the peace of the rest of my life.
Lexxiss: Kudos for progress in a painful process.

Last edited by maryann; 01-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #266  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Will attempt to stop this backslide. I would be doing fine if I were working all day on a farm ... my dinner was befitting a farmhand (homemade chicken pot pie - small version but ate too much)! Will set my menu for the next week. DH has requested Thai tomorrow for dinner and that's doable... I might back that up for earlier if the snow is to start in the earlyi evening.

So relieved it's Friday, I think I was rewarding DH and myself for getting to the end of the week. The other two meals were completely OP and I had 600 cal to use for dinner but ... sad to say I still went over bc of the dough.

More time to post tomorrow. Even if early. Have a great start to your weekend!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #267  
persist

S/C/G: 150/-6.4/-150

Smile Friday Friday Friday.

Coaches

Checking in on the phone before bed. I had a long day at home.It was quasi-productive, as I did get a lead on an art residency in Wales I want to pursue.( Silverbirch isn't that where you live?? I may need to pm you with questions about Wales if that is where you are...)
I wrote an email that was overdue answered a few more overdue ones and that was about it. I spent most of the day zoning out and watching back to back episodes of The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow. A fine way to spend an afternoon indoors when it is freezing outside. This week I was cold. My butt was cold! Never had that experience before! Apparently the forecast is for a cold February. Oh well. It's February and it's Canada. Looking forward to what Wiarton Willie our local groundhog predicts for us on Groundhog Day Feb 2nd. I bet we're getting 6 more weeks of winter.

Foodwise I wanted to eat the house today, but I didn't. I did snack on cheese, twice. Once DH got home I went to Costco for the veggie tray and some Zima tomatoes--a favorite tomato right up there with kumatos which I also love. The cashier could not believe I had only two items.Me neither. I said the secret was not to have a cart. Plus I made a direct beeline to the veggies and then straight to the cas. .No detours.

I was disappointed in the scale's 46.39 BMI today =+0.4lb. 278.4 then. I am going to really eat clean this weekend and up the water/tea consumption. I would love to have the scale drop as I complete SBD PH1 on Sunday. All I want to add back when I start ph2 is one fruit, probably an apple for the first week. Too much variety is not good for me. Better to keep it simple.

Off to bed then. Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-31-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:48 AM   #268  
in development

Good morning!

Yes, onebyone, I'm in Wales. I've sent you a PM.

You'll be pleased to hear that I'm about to write my food plan. I'm still reading here and learning from you all.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-31-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #269  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Snacks back under control, CREDIT moi, for a 100% day. Seems that I've got to get my head back into taking it seriously to avoid snacks at Costco - my brain remembers when I do that.

Minor snow to shovel and there's minor snow falling this morning. The good news about a fresh dusting each day is that it always looks good. Mounds of white snow are picturesque; mounds of dirty snow look like they need attending. Saw the movie about Steven and Jane Hawking, The Theory of Everything with DW last night. DW grinned as we left, "OK, it was a chick-flick." Powerful love story of two strong people. Not much physics. The credits reminded me that A Brief History of Time sold 10 million copies. I've also read that, even brief as it is, very few have actually read the book. I read it twice as my attempt to balance that.

onebyone Had to google Zima tomatoes - look good to me. Kudos for doing Costco right - "a direct beeline to the veggies and then straight to the cas[h register]. .No detours."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yay for tea for calming the neurons. Kudos for your clear insight.

silverbirch Waving back toward Wales.

maryann - Congrats for seeing cleaning as exercise. I wonder how many calories it will burn to sort my basement, LOL.

nationalparker Chicken pot pie is so seductive, but I'll never figure out how the crust can carry so many calories.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out
Once I start preparing myself in advance
. . .for eating out, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 219.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #270  
Green Tomatoes

I had the opportunity to repeat the same pattern, with the same extra snack, as I had on Thursday. But I didn't -- mostly because I didn't want to report making the exact same mistake two days in a row.

I also drank lots of herbal tea. As Mary Ann said, it's not entirely satisfying as a comfort, but it is a comfort and gives me a moment to think of an effective distraction.

It also helped to allow myself a larger snack. I've been experimenting with smaller serving sizes and I'll continue to do so. Sometimes, the larger serving size is the one I need and it's good to have that option.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +40 1135/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for the review of The Theory of Everything. That's on DH's list, but he may decide to wait for the DVD.

nationalparker: given the sort of struggles you're having, I'm guessing that you're counting calories but not planning your food in advance. Have you tried Beck's idea of writing your food plan for the whole day the night before? There's some magic in that practice.

silverbirch: great to know you're still with us, even when you're quiet!

maryann: thanks for this: "comfort myself in a less satisfying way." It helped me yesterday!

onebyone: the Wales opportunity sounds very cool. I love the idea of getting only two items at Costco.
Closed Thread