Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Heh. Doesn't sound silly to me. I think it is good to engage physically with the cards. It gets into your consciousness. Although getting blocked is not good, but you recognized and went around. Carry on!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 AM   #122  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I made it through my work week and am going to travel over to pool-land early and avoid all the ski traffic. Living on the I-70 corridor can be interesting….especially when you add in a little bit of snow. A 35 minute drive can turn into 2 hours. Food was good yesterday. Credit. No change on the scale. Family stuff still screwed up. Oh, well. I'm very clear right now that I need to take care of myself daily. Credit.

BBE, kudos for meeting your deadlines. I went down memory lane remembering when we had the wood shop in Alaska and the beautful birch and mahogany plywoods that we had ample supplies of. These days I have to go searching, too, and have no place to store excess.

Janelle(shcirerf), glad you are feeling better and officially welcoming you here!

Gardenerjoy, credit for following your plan on a hungrier day!

Silverbirch, keep up the good work amidst your many responsibilites.

CeeJay, kudos for your diligence with SBD P1. It makes such a difference. What I like best about my SBD lifestyle is I can literally go anywhere and eat OP. PS...just reread your words regarding your emotional/physical shift. I think it has so much to do with eating right.

Cathydoe, yay for making cards!

Karenrn, yay for hiking! Glad you're getting better….me, too.

Love2garden, thanks for your visual post! I sat with you for a moment and watched the birds, too. Composure….credit. I think that the emotional stability is so important as we take on our issues with food.

Nationalparker, I like thinking about change vs chance….My yoga teacher used to question us...."Practice makes what?" she would ask...Perfect everyone would answer. She would nod and say "Practice makes practice."

Flnu, credit for eating your breakfast….so important for me.

Carry on Becksters!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was two walks, CREDIT moi, to the hardware store to work the task of replacing the cabinet shelf. As so often happens, I discovered a more pressing problem with three cabinet drawers whose rails had become unsecured and whose roller ball tracks had worn further than was safe. A drawer full of knives was perilously close to tumbling unto the kitchen floor. I found the parts that I needed on the Internet, printed the picture and part description, took that to the hardware store and . . . found the parts in stock! (Wonderful twist - use the Internet for shopping and buy locally.) As a reward after a long day, DW and I watched the DVD Amistad. It's a wrenching movie. Afterward, I find the Internet full of positive and negative opinions. The story of the slaves who successfully revolted is griping; but all movies of such violence and unfairness is hard watching. Proceed only if you can stomach brutal injustice in full-screen detail.

Eating was OK. Evening snack while watching the DVD was a California Navel Orange - always makes me happy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for staying the path even when 'hungrier.'

CeeJay - Welcome new dancer! And welcome new feelings of "positive, hopeful and physically so much better."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for recognizing "that I need to take care of myself daily" - remembering that the airlines tell us to put our own oxygen masks on before tending to the kids. [Drooling over "beautiful birch and mahogany plywoods that we had ample supplies of" - must have been back in the days that mere mortals could afford choice plywood.]

silverbirch – Life does seem to intervene with what we want to do. Safe travels.

nationalparker – That sandwich does sound like a bit much. Kudos for a burrito bowl without the burrito.

flnu - LOL at saag paneer with pork instead of paneer. Kudos for continued mindful eating.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for the passing of your bug.

love2garden - Wincing at the reality, "I've been a personal assistant to our kids, my husband, my mom, and several others." Kudos for keeping calm when abandoned by others.

cathydoe - I so identify with the thought that it all depends upon finding the right glue - BTDT. Keep the faith.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events
If you want to lose weight and maintain it for your lifetime, you need to develop a different attitude toward celebrating than you've had before. If you're like most people, you have an idea that is quite strong in your mind, I'm entitled to make exceptions for special circumstances.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 216.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #124  
persist

S/C/G: 150/-6.4/-150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs down persistant avoidance

Coaches

I had a moment/day of clarity around the end of November 2014 and since then I have been off track. I cannot get a grip on my food, my eating, my desire to follow my chosen foodplan, basically I am on a road of non-commitmant. Yesterday I even believed an old old sabotaging thought that tells me I simply cannot lose weight. Growing up, my adult role models never lost weight when they were the age I am now. They didn't. they all waited until they were 75 to magically shed the weight as their mother, my grandmother, had. That she regained the weight when she was in the home and used the wheelchair and sneaked and hid cookies in her dresser drawer so much that my mother said to me with deep embarrassment and shame in her voice "she can't fit into the wheelchair anymore". So, you know, none of these truisms are very real. All saboteurs. And to what end? As a living organism, my body may benefit from the surfeit of nourishment (doubtful when it's crappy food) but it pays a high price doing the cleanup after the junk comes in. And i was thinking this morning as I shimmied down the bed to simply get out of bed (I have get up at the foot of the bed) that *moving* all this flesh is tiring. It's a lot. I'm depressed. But that's not going to help me. What is here in this forum, what I read that you guys write that helps me, but I have to help myself. I don't know how to change this except to actually change it. Seems obvious. I am soooooooooooo resistant. Time to take the time to listen to Steven Pressfield's War of Art THE book that tackles resistance head on. It's about writing but it's about everything that makes you stop in your tracks no matter the obvious need/desire to change.

My moment of clarity stands out cause I started to see a new way of daily living unfolding. I would play my ukulele, I would write, I would eat less and higher quality, I would move my body in gentle nourishing ways. I would simplify my goals/directions in my work. Really I need to re-read my resolutions I posted here cause they were sound. The behaviour of the past few days is disturbing and self-defeating. I will begin again.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
I have had my name changed to get rid of the "pudge" part, and thanks for all the positive comments about doing it!

I have been down for a few days so haven't checked in...I started January off feeling remarkably positive, and have hit a wall. I am feeling depressed/stressed about a number of things and need to shake myself out of it and get going again!
I am really bored at work, its repetitive, it can be lonely at times, and sometimes there isn't enough to do, which sounds nice i'm sure to some folks, but it makes the day crawl and then i get depressed, thinking what am i doing here?? I think about looking for another job, but its a good situation for my family life and good benefits, so I am staying put for now. Be grateful you have a job, curly!!
And as love2garden said, i am a personal assistant to my family members (as well as cook, maid, chauffeur, entertainment planner etc) and i am feeling sick of it!!

Okay, enough venting. I will get some things done and make a plan for healthy eating today.

Waving to all, reading and enjoying, glad to hear about so many good things happening and positive thinking, it is indeed inspiring!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #126  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for not feeling de-railed even though I ate an extra snack yesterday because I messed up the timing of my food. It led to a new Response Card and that's always a good thing:

Quote:
If supper is after 7pm, my 2nd snack is at 5. If supper is before 7pm, my 2nd snack is at 9.
Usually, the first is true, but I sometimes mess things up when the day plays out with an early supper. I have a couple of 7 o'clock meetings this week -- so I'll have a chance to practice this!

WI: -0.1 kg , Exercise: +20 490/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: I love your vision of a "new way of daily living unfolding." I'm rereading The War of Art and it is so helpful!

curlyjax: Love your name change! Another book that is helping me in this new year is A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds: make the inside of your head your favorite place to be by Barbara Sophia Tammes. It's making my low-activity times much more pleasant!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #127  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

flnu "I think it is good to engage physically with the cards. It gets into your consciousness"---thank you for the positive spin on my craziness. I am learning my craziness isn’t so crazy afterall!

BBE TY for buying local! SMH I had to google BTDT.

Lexxiss Yeah for you (I think) the scale didn’t move! aka CREDIT

onebyone You are beginning again. I REALLY appreciate your honesty!!

curlyjax great you have a place to come and vent! What you said makes sense to me. Now what can you do with it?

Yep I wanted to make comments to people as some of you do. It seems to make things more personal. Plus I love it when I see my name bolded...and someone has made a personal comment to ME! I don't know how you guys do it smoothly? What I did above created lots of concentration for me <sigh> but I did it! CREDIT (ha)

Yesterday I went to the grocery store CREDIT Going to the grocery store is a giant endeavor for me! I bought lots of healthy items and mostly stayed on the outside isles...WHOOT Working on planning planning planning.

Actually yesterday was a great day...full of lots'o CREDITS. Feels good. I think I will make a CREDIT sign. To hold and wave the sign I will use a tongue depressor. Gotta keep those warm fuzzy feelings going. Anyone want a sign made for them? Let me know!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 208/175.4/145

Height: 5'6"

Wow! You all are so inspiring! I just love knowing that there are other people out there working the Beck method. I'm sorry to be MIA and not post personals. I'm a single mom and had last weekend off, but have now had my kids for a couple of days. It's definitely more challenging to take care of myself when they are with me. But it's all workable.

I'm going to Hawaii on Friday with my girls. Can't wait! Been mulling over what to do with my food plan while there. I read Beck's chapter in the pink book and I should have chosen a plan by now...just not sure what I want to do.

Happy to say that I'm 2 pounds down after a week on plan. Yay!

Best to all, Danielle
Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #129  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Greetings! Not in a good place in my mind here lately, but sunshine today (despite frigid temps) helps. I wish I could see daylight from my desk. I might just undock my computer and try to find a chair near a window. Definitely not "the norm" for workers in my building, but ... I need a change.

To lunch with a friend whose company I thoroughly enjoy. I chose two southwestern chicken egg rolls that were small but had some fat to them. I am revamping my thinking here for a while and we'll see how it goes ... I realized last year when I lost 8-9 pounds over the course of a few months, that I was eating what I desired, in smaller portions, but not going low fat/fake butter, etc. I was eating healthy but it did include a bit of fried foods, and real salad dressings, etc. I returned home and kept that for a little bit, then realized I needed to get back to my lighter way of eating - fewer calories, less fat (WHY?), and then have struggled with satisfaction, even with volume, fiber, etc. I'm breaking it down so much and maybe it's just "less" of the real food that might work for me.

I'd not done up any cards to start the year. I decided to change mine up a little bit this time instead of the main one on WHY i want to lose weight that I had, I'm doing a card to reflect on differently. *Care ... *If not now, when? ... *I control this ... *Less is enough ...*Change, not chance... *Choices to be proud of ... Recognize the wrong path early.

I like the idea of printing the lines out so they're nicer and then putting on a card. Thank you!

Did well with dinner last night - DH suggested going to the local mexican place when we finished a car project (8:30) and I said no, I couldn't really go light there. He said how about Cracker Barrel. Um... that's harder for me right now, too ... (because I'd eaten a VERY large lunch and had limited calories to use) ... order chinese? I said I'd just do a larger salad, and so he opted for a single serve frozen greek pizza and salad, so double bonus that we saved money, too. Was proud of that. Rarely have been following through here lately. Will cook up the chicken and do the burrito bowls this evening, though I suspect DH is wanting to get out for dinner somewhere after his suggestions last night.

MarinMavin - Credits for the week's success and your diligence! Hawaii sounds so, so wonderful. It's on my life's list - aiming for when DH hits 50, so we have a while to save up for that.

CathyDoe - Great job for tackling the marketing - it takes a lot of time and planning to do a good marketing trip, I think. Or else I'm just disorganized. I despise returning home and realizing I bought most of what I needed for specific recipes, but not all. Thanks for the reminders on the importance these cards can play.

OneByOne - Thank you for your honesty here. I think each of us wishes we wouldn't face any setbacks, but sometimes it's reassuring to know that we're not alone in our wonky thinking and settling back into habits that don't create a better us. It sounds like you're READY.

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-14-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

I had another pretty good day here. Ate what I intended including breakfast. I am looking forward to be able to exercise again – my back seems headed in the right direction so I am hopeful that I will be back in the treadmill in just a few weeks.

1x1: I give you big credit for posting when things are not going as you wish. I, and many people I suspect, just kind of slink away on the bad days --- you don’t. Credit.

Lexxiss: So what’d you do to take care of yourself today? Did you eat breakfast?

Sounds like a good day, BBE.

Curlyjax: How’d making your plan go? If you didn’t do it, what thoughts did you have about why it was ok not to do it? And if you did, CREDIT.

Gardenerjoy: Hey…your response card is an implementation intention. I just learned about the concept, and here it is in real life.

Cathydoe: Hah! I like seeing my name too…behold the bold.

Marinmaven: How about writing out here what you plan options are? You don’t have to choose, but public mulling might help.

Nationalparker: I like your approach to the cards. I have some similar. One of mine is (front obviously): I want nachos. What should I do?

Credit to all who read.

Best,
flnu
Old 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #131  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good evening coaches,

Just a short check in. Food on program and within calories, credit. Hiked Bell Pass, about 7 1/2 miles or so, credit. Feeling good, credit.

My friend and I are challenging each other to be 100% on program this week. We spoke on the phone today and both agreed we are hungrier, probably meaning we were not as careful before. I am weighing and measuring diligently this week. I think I just might lose weight.

While I was out hiking today I was thinking about how I'm going to get more strength training and stretching of some sort. I always have a problem with this since I like to be outdoors. However, we do have a Y membership, which I call our Y donation since we don't use it very much, except in summer. I'm going to go and check out the classes and see if there isn't something I might enjoy. I really don't need to hike every day, it's just that is what I enjoy doing. I really need to get in the best shape of my life and be as strong as possible to be carrying a backpack for many miles.

Hopefully personals tomorrow.

Karen
Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #132  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Thank you everyone for the get well wishes!

Feeling much better. Went back to work today. Boss does not work on Wednesday!

I've worked for this ole guy for 10 years. He's graduated from veterinary school, Iowa State, 68. He's an old school, I'm tough type of guy,(martyr) and can be a butt, IF you let him!

He can be a pain to work for, but, he's also been great about family stuff, and does not give us any grief, if we have family things that need attended to.

And he pays very well! So, it all works out.

It's a very interesting job. You never know what is going to walk in the door.

2 things, ditch the shcirerf, it's my last name spelled backwards, just call me Janelle, and it's me and my kids in my avatar!

Last edited by shcirerf; 01-14-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #133  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Well it was inevitable. I bought a bathroom scale. Now you know that no matter what the number was I wasn't going to like it. What a crappy attitude too. Why am I like that?

It wouldn't matter that I can wear my wedding ring again. It wouldn't matter that my ole comfy jeans are too big and I skipped the next size and went down to the next! It wouldn't matter that the NEW, never worn before shirt I wore tonight has been too small for at least a year and now fits. Nope--no matter what the number was going to be it wasn't going to be good enough.

On December 1st I started this journey and I weighed at least 270 lbs. Tonight the scale said 257.4. SMH. Lots of feelings going on inside me. What I do know is I WILL NOT let this mess up my food tomorrow!! I promise!

Do other people have this problem? How does one become okay with what the scale reads or satisfied with the weight loss number? *heavy sigh*

Last edited by cathydoe; 01-15-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Success completing the job of fixing the kitchen cabinet drawers and sagging shelf. CREDIT moi since that's what had to be done. The sagging shelf couldn't be replaced because it's integrally part of the cabinet. A support had to be designed. Yay for the battery powered drill.

Eating was OK - a bit knocked off course by a last-minute phone call for a viewing that very evening. Our friend had lived in remission from her breast cancer for 20+ years, but when it returned it was swift. We finally walked, CREDIT moi, to a sushi place afterward. Sushi provides such a wonderful feeling of full for so little fish and rice.

onebyone – Yes, "re-read my resolutions" and then "re-read my resolutions" and then "re-read my resolutions" after that. You're a survivor. You'll find a way.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat new response card.

nationalparker – Kudos for seriously thinking about what style of eating works for you. I vote for taking a chair to a window at your office; you'll probably hear cheers from the other inmates, LOL.

Janelle (shcirerf) - Yay for bossless Wednesdays. I like your positive attitude, "You never know what is going to walk in the door."

flnu - Yay for a healing back.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "our Y donation" - neat idea to get use from it.

curlyjax - Like the new name and the reason behind changing it. Once when my brother was undertasked, he took on the job of organizing the big supply room (about as painful a project that I could imagine myself doing). It amused him greatly and he found his real assignments to be an intrusion. He wasn't bored.

cathydoe - WHOOT and Kudos both for "Working on planning planning planning." My technique for personals is to hit [reply] in a second window. Then I easily flip back and forth between the two windows using [Alt][Tab]. Looking us acronyms doesn't always work for me. I just looked up SNAFU and found: "Special Needs Advocates for Understanding" - that's not what you'd find in Catch 22, LOL. Congrats on those dozen pounds gone forever. You just need to have a chat with that new scale to let it know that you're boss.

Danielle (MarinMaven) - So neat to be headed to Hawaii. Hope you get in some good snorkeling.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events
There are three difficulties associated with this notion:
1. you're likely to encounter special circumstances repeatedly. Think about all the special circumstances that could arise just in the next year: meals at the home of friends and family, patties, holiday celebrations, luncheons, showers, weddings, retirement parties, office parties, business-related events, charity events, religious occasions, receptions, benefits - the list could go on and on. If you give yourself permission to make exceptions, you could easily overeat at all of them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 216.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

If I'm going to manage seven days in a row of 100% OP, I'm going to manage my expectations about what I can accomplish at lunch. Three kitchen chores plus accompanying clean-up was more than I could manage, so I had to make a slight substitute. CREDIT for making it as equivalent as possible.

WI: NC in kg , Exercise: +60 550/1200 minutes for January, Food: 95% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

cathydoe: First off, I've never lost a rate of 13 pounds in 6 weeks. That's fantastic! Second off, in the green book, Beck recommends weighing every day with the understanding that you'll soon start to see it as simply data. I emphasize that by putting the weight in a spreadsheet -- data goes in spreadsheets! The daily fluctuations are so screwy that it makes no sense to think of it as anything but a tiny piece in a long-term trend.
My technique for personals is to use a little Notepad window.
Closed Thread