Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #136  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello on National Strawberry Ice Cream Day. (Why that's not in the middle of summer is beyond me, but ...)

Have been semi-listening to an audiobook, The Big Fat Secret, detailing how fat and other foods has been vilified and the errors in some of the studies (some restricting red meat were done during times of fasting when cultures didn't eat much meat/anything at all, how olive oil became such a golden child of fats, etc.) ... I'm not researching anything but it's interesting - would love to delve deeper if it were my job.

On track today so far. DH works so will get home later tonight and that's my struggle time. Plan is to use hot tea and my mystery book to just kick back and enjoy a free hour after running a few errands. Dinner will be turkey italian sausage with peppers and onions and a toss of pasta with semi-homemade sauce and a salad. A quick-enough meal to pull together. I am getting three meals for us out of the package of five Jennie-O sausage links. Score! Since it's still cold here, I'm going to roast some carrots/onions for tomorrow evening and take advantage of the 420 degree oven.

Dr. appt tomorrow afternoon and hoping for a few answers to some issues. Guess the best case scenario will be, "it's just age"

CathyDoe - I, too, really struggle with the data of an increase on the scale, even though I have drummed it into my mind that it's just data. I sabotage myself when it's lower by thinking, oh, I can skate on this a bit ... I sabotage myself when it's higher by thinking, oh, no, i'm working hard now and not finding "success" so this isn't going to make much of a difference. Basically I'm my own worst enemy... Good luck getting past any mental connection to it. I struggle.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hey coaches-
credit for finding an alternative way to exercise, to a "walking" video, to avoid the cold. Credit for avoiding the chocolates in my co-workers office.
Gardenerjoy- thanks for the book rec, the title sounds great!
Karenrn- i've been meaning to ask what hiking boots brand you use, and how long does it take to break in a new pair usually?

A quick wave to all- i am too sleeply to concentrate even though its only 7:00, i wish i could go to sleep now! but more personals tomorrow-
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches,

Weight at ticker which means the extra pounds from the holidays are REAL pounds ( you know what I mean.) They are going to take real effort to lose. Credit for several times looking at the clock and saying "You will be full in twenty minutes" then stopping myself from taking seconds. I continue to work through the green book. I have a four day weekend and I am very excited to become centered again.

Onebyone: Your comment of 'Soooooo resistant" resonated with me. My food behavior is so baffling. It is but a symptom of a deeper problem. Credit for us continuing to post here to face it.

curlyjax: like the new name. I have started piano lessons to enhance my own personal growth. it is a way to define me beyond my roles in the workplace and my family which can be stagnating.

nationalparker: Liked 'if not now when." I was thinking, I can't follow beck because it is crazy at work and yet I don't lose weight on the weekends when I am relaxing. Bottom lin: excuses are excuses.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #139  

Height: 5' 2"

I'll try some suggestions for posting in the following. Since formatting personals doesn't show up in this posting box as it really is, I'll have to see what works for the future. There has to be a better way!!

To who ever mentioned scale. If you put your scale on carpet, or on bumpy tile, you won't get true reading. I've found a private place in our computer room with hard floor that weighs correctly every time. (Doesn't move down as I hope, but up instead most of the time.

Finally, the scale is moving slightly down as I weigh without clothes each morning after emptying my bladder. Just me getting weighed. Then put on my clothes for the day to go in the hall back to my room.

Janell: thank goodness for your name, I was having so much trouble spelling your name.

Cathydoe: you lost more already than I have in any one year. I count a 2 pound loss in a month great for me.

Curlyjax: Good for you with positive image. better name.

1x1, at least you are still coming here to be with us, thanks.

National Parker Let us know what the doctor tells you. Sure hope he has some answers.

Maryann I tried the clock "trick" today and it really was satisfying to see I took so long to eat the delicious crunchy, healthy salad DD made.

CREDIT: Green Beck book from Library and while DH and DD were out, I began really, really listening to what she said. Several years ago I carefully worked thru the pink book so some habits are sticking. Actually like hearing what she says in a different way.
CREDIT: Pedometer tells the amount of my waking hours I was active and I'm showing active for 5 out of past 12 hours. Certain that is above average and I'm so tired as proof. (House looks and smells better).
CREDIT: Sat down while eating all food. (Demerit for sitting away from table)
CREDIT: Healthy food, but less than suggested. Simply not hungry much of today and too busy to notice.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 AM   #140  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Eating was OK. Sardines for lunch felt good as if oily fish is what I need when it looks like dead winter outside. It feels good to know that there's not a single calorie of holiday goodies left in the house.

Walked, CREDIT moi, even as light snow fell. I had no demanding errands so I took whatever path called. Light snow is kinda magic when it's not slippery. All the Christmas trees that had littered the sidewalks have finally been picked up by the city; I miss that link to the holidays. There's just a light dusting of snow this morning - a tease to be cleared with a broom not a shovel.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Wish you could sell this in a jar, "going to manage my expectations."

maryann - Yep, Kudos for using the strategy, "You will be full in twenty minutes."

nationalparker Stretching those Jennie-O sausage into three meals sounds like just the way to enjoy a tasty meat - as a flavoring. You'll probably live to be 100!

curlyjax - When I get to be Czar, it's going to be OK to go to bed at 7pm. And, when you send an email the next morning at 4am, no one will respond with, "Why are you up so early?"

love2garden - Neat data point, "showing active for 5 out of past 12 hours" - that sounds like a lot for someone who isn't a lumberjack. Great to have a "Simply not hungry" day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events
There are three difficulties associated with this notion: . . .

2. You might go overboard in making exceptions. Instead of just eating a small to moderate amount more at a special meal (perhaps a couple of hundred more calories), you could easily eat much more. For example, if your usual dinner is 600 calories, you could end up eating 200 percent more - or a total of 1800 calories. Once you go over your planned limit, you may think, I've already blown it, I may as well eat whatever I want.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 216.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight 2 pounds below ticker. Dressed for step class even though I still have two hours to wait. This way I won't change my mind. I am committed to Experiment #5 - stop eating. I will serve myself a large portion of something I love and throw half of it away.

Have a great Friday.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #142  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I read everyone's posts yesterday, but didn't have time to do personals, so I'm doing it now before I do anything else. Credit yesterday for longish hike with weight in the day pack and on program eating.

Bill Oh how I would like to see a little snow. I guess I could drive only a few hours and see some, but doesn't seem likely just now.

Maryann I've also tried to remind myself when I am hungry and it is not mealtime that it will pass and it does. I need to remember the 20 minutes thing too.

Curlyjax I wear hiking shoes, not boots. The boots bruise my ankles and I have tried numerous brands. Yesterday I bought Oboz and Ahnu. I have Ahnu now and have also worn Merrell, Solomon and Keen. They don't take anytime to break in. I usually try to wear them on a shorter local hike, just to be sure they are fine, and they always seem to be. I usually buy a new brand from REI, just in case they don't work. After that I sometimes buy them online if they are on sale. I have worn the hiking shoes for all sorts of hikes, even in Nepal and they work fine for me. I usually have a couple of pair cause the rocky ground here seems to wear them out faster than the soft ground other places.

Love2garden Glad to hear the scale is moving in the right direction also that you were busy and not hungry. I love when that happens.

Nationalparker I hope the doctor's appointment goes well. The audiobook sounds interesting. It is hard to know what to eat sometimes. The study information doesn't seem to last too many years before it is turned around completely.

GardenerJoy I'm going to have to check out the book you recommended. I'm trying to find a little better balance in my life.

CathyDoe I hear you about the number on the scale. I try to remember that it is just a number, that I was the same size before I stepped on the scale. I still avoid it if I know I had a high sodium day or maybe too large a meal. I allow a day or two and then get on. I know this isn't what Beck recommends.

Janelle Glad you're feeling better. I had that nasty cold last week, glad it's gone.

Waving to flnu, Danielle and Lexxis and anybody else I've missed!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #143  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Hello everyone! I was a lurker yesterday and I did chat with each of you...I hope you heard me. lol

All right it is official. I have a cold! Now that I have spoken it and admitted it I can get on the healing trail. This one is a weird one for me---sore throat and cough. This morning I had dh looking down my throat to see if he could see anything. Of course he said there wasn't anything unusual (he had to be wrong) so I had him do it again before he left for work. LOL No need to run to the doctor yet. My plan is to drink lots of warm/hot water today.

My new scale is shinning brightly in the bathroom. I actually think it has blinking lights, a siren, and extra shiny covering as it sure does call to me when I walk into the bathroom. (lol) Thank you all who shared with me the Beck knowledge that this shiny monster's purpose is to share data with me-however painful it might be...

Someday soon I will come to peace with that shiny monster...hopefully before it looses its luster and becomes the dusty monster!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for talking myself out of any of the many pretty packaged products that caught my eye in Whole Foods. I told myself "We have plenty of good stuff to eat at home." Apparently, I'm two, so CREDIT, also, for not throwing a tantrum in the aisle even though I wanted to. I guess I need to strengthen my "It's not about me" force field, because this isn't always so hard.

I followed my new practice of eating my second snack late if supper is early and it worked perfectly. I was hungry after my meeting but came home to a planned small snack and it was satisfying.

CREDIT for posting today, even though it's later and shorter than I intended.

WI: +0.45kg , Exercise: +40 590/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #145  

Height: 5' 2"

Gardenerjoy Thanks to your talking about those special Beck Success Skill sheets, I was able to find the green book in the Library Thank goodness I have a copy machine here and could copy a master copy and couple sets of each of the skill sheets to begin to use NOW!

[B]Bill: The pedometer with the time active must be very true because on days I' read more than I move, such as today, I show only 1 hr 36 minutes and far less steps. Needed the day to rest after 2 back to back very heavy days.

Karen: I'm passing your information on hiking shoes to our daughter who has always hiked in Oregon, Florida, Tenn., West Virginia, Utah, etc. Here there is limited access to good hiking shoes and she is wearing out her old ones rapidly

Mary Ann I just read about the Experiment #5 and enjoyed reading your response. Haven't tried it yet but may this evening.

CREDIT: For a change, I did not become upset when scale was up a bit this morning, good reason because yesterday I ate under 900 calories for one of the few times in my life. Just wasn't hungry and too busy to think about it. Good thing, being busy.

CREDITS: Skill Sheets in Green Book are now in use, and I made my diet book, with Memory List in the back as I turn spiral notebook upside down, writing and numbering the pages. What a great idea, and I transferred lots of the things I put in my regular journal into the Memory List. Sure can see how that would help.

Last edited by love2garden; 01-16-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: New thoughts
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #146  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

For working only a half-day, my day seemed pretty busy. Dr. appt went well, and have a simple treatment to follow for two weeks. Missed lunch and ate a lunner at 4:30 and will have a light snack later on if hungry. I need to really think it out though, because I want my stomach to decide, not my mind. My mind will always say I need something, apparently.

DH is out with his younger daughter tonight. Again his work has cut their work schedule down 25% this week, so in looking at the bright side instead of just less income from it, he'll be able to catch the Colts/Patriots game. I know, Bill, you're calling it the Patriots/Colts game I want to prep a lot of tids and bits but we don't need it and I don't need the temptation... maybe just a few. At times I wish I could cook for a large group. My desire to cook/bake for a B&B keeps rearing its head.

Temps are to warm up above freezing this weekend - keeping fingers crossed for some sunshine. All the difference in the world to me. Seems like it's been a long month already. This weekend I used to visit my Nana up in Rhode Island for a winter visit every year until she passed. Good memories.

Five weeks until our trip ... my plan for 6 in 6 might have been dealt a blow right from the start. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow despite a number of decent days strung together... I can regroup no matter what it says ... even if it's 8 in 5 (8 pounds to lose in 5 weeks... dream on, but will still set goals...)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

Just a quick check in. Tomorrow I will have completed South Beach phase 1 100% on track. So happy about that.

I am really liking this way of eating. So far I just focus on what I can have, not what I won't be having. I am not missing bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I am not even missing sugar. I am so surprised about that. What I am missing is fruit and oatmeal. Go figure. I had gotten into the habit of oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast--it kept me full all morning. I will be adding oatmeal in the morning back in starting Sunday. Will also add in 2 fruits a day. I hope that works OK- we will see. I am not adding back in anything else and will do another 2 weeks and then decide where to go from there.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #148  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Got brave and got on the scale since it had been 2 weeks, and I was down 3 pounds - yay! I bought walking shoes for the winter - credit, and DH and I went out for our mile walk today - credit. Tracked food and came in under goal - credit. Yesterday I took a walk instead of snacking over my frustration with my health insurance saying my "primary carrier" paid plenty so they were denying my claim, which is odd, because they are my only insurance. . .

Curlyjax - I had a job for many years that had many slow times and I would feel depressed. It did help to tell myself that I didn't have to like my job - just let the dislike be there rather than starting a spiral of guilt and self judgement.

BBE - glad you squeaked in your paperwork. I applied for a big craft show on Wednesday, the due date. Glad to finally have it over with.

One by one - I think there is power in imagining how you want to spend your days so I am glad you are thinking about that. I spent a lot of time feeling stuck when I was dealing with anxiety issues - and I learned that ruminating about my stuckness eroded my mood even further.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #149  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Folk dancing for exercise, CREDIT moi, even though I felt that I was terrible. My take is that a simple set of new steps should be easy to repeat. Kids do it instantly. I do it once, then twice, then screw it up, then can't remember to do it right again. Sometimes I need, perhaps, just one more practice walk through of something new. Also walked in the cold to include the library. I was returning some DVDs that I had taken from one of the large libraries to a small branch location. Turns out that the librarian was pleased - she could put these DVDs on the 24 hour 'Grab-me-quickly-before-I'm-shipped-back' shelf so that the locals can get the good stuff.

Eating was OK. Lunch of tuna fish salad with corn chips ending up being too many corn chips. I forgot that my plan calls for me to serve myself a desired number and leave the bag in the kitchen. Kinda dumb.

Joy (gardenerjoy) That's the secret: I'm just a two-year-old having a temper tantrum. That image is going to be hard to shake.

CeeJay - Brilliant, "focus on what I can have, not what I won't be having" - gonna steal that one.

maryann - Neat idea to dress for gym so that it's more difficult to change your mind.

nationalparker Oh Yes, we have a Patriots/Colts football game this weekend. My confidence in the Patriots slips a little each year. This reminds me that somehow California manages to produce most of its avocados for the year to ripen for Superbowl Sunday. I've never figured out how they do that.

Karen (karenrn) - Are you hiking with weight in your day pack to train for this summer?

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for walking instead of wallowing in frustration over your health insurance bureaucracy. When I broke my leg, I answered, "Sure, it was an accident." I meant that I didn't deliberately break my leg. Their question disguised their hidden meaning: 'accident' means that you were in an automobile and some else carries automobile accident medical insurance that should cover you, so we won't. Took forever to get past that one.

love2garden - Under 900 calories is one light day alright. Kudos for remaining calm after one adverse data point.

cathydoe - Yay for getting used to your new scale. Yep, it's only data.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events
There are three difficulties associated with this notion: . . .

3. You might find it difficult to return to restricted eating once the event is over. You might have sabotaging thoughts, such as, It was really fun to eat whatever I wanted ... I really liked not restricting myself. You might lose sight of why it has been so important to you to lose weight - and you might stop following the step in this program. Or you might have such sabotaging thoughts as, I really lost control ... I really blew it ... What's the use of even trying anymore? A sense of helplessness might set in, and you might not be able to summon up the energy to get back on your diet.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 217.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

good morning coaches! Another brisk day here..but not as cold as our friends in Canada have it! i keep telling myself- at least we don't have any bugs to deal with for awhile. and the neighborhood is quieter with all the windows closed

Credit for using resistance muscle to not snack at night and just let a little hunger go. I still have some wierd strained toe tendon which makes walking with shoes painful so that is curtailing exercise for a bit.

Nuxmega-just let the dislike be there- thank you for that thought! Insurance issues are indeed awful.
Bill-There are some amazing folk dancers in the Boston area who were intimidating to me, years ago when I went to dance festivals. It definitely took more than one example for a new dance for me.
Karenrn- thanks for the shoe info! i would like to get some soon.
Ceejay- phase one can be a real challenge, great job!! you are on a roll!
Closed Thread