Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW in the cold to a library to look for travel guides for Italy and to check out a movie for last night. Walking with someone and with a goal is great fun. The library had numerous guides; a few are now on my stack of books. The selection of videos was enormous. We brought home five to make our selection while eating dinner. We chose Gravity because some geek friends were in an argument about whether it was absolutely unrealistic or more so. But the cinema was breathtaking - I had a hard time remembering that it wasn't being filmed in zero gravity. It was a tad retro to watch a movie where folks kept their clothes on, LOL.

Dinner was the leftover lamb stew. I served myself less than was expected, CREDIT moi. Next time we'll use the same volume for three meals instead of two. Lunch was a can of sardines to keep my oily fish intake up to snuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Good mantra for me today, "more food won't make me warmer."

silverbirch Congrats for those seven pounds gone. Has our local cold wave made it to the U.K. yet?

maryann - "[P]ostits on my cabinets" is getting serious - Kudos. [I've never been to Ireland - it's definitely on my Bucket List.]

nationalparker Celebrate the successes: Kudos for the 2/3 Thai meal saved, for the cleaning stuff out, and for making a trip to your donation place. Neat goal to look for a pound a week.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL at the distance one can travel walking a large supermarket. Particular Kudos for cleaning out the spices - we're currently into buying fresh spices rather than use old ones that have lost their zing.

curlypudge - Three cheers for Magic Eraser. I've used that on walls while preserving the paint. Neat thinking to make your user name positive. (Done by posting in the admin questions forum or simply use the red exclamation mark to report one of your own posts asking for the change.)

love2garden - Ouch for your struggles to get sufficient heat in your room with windows on three sides. We've been known to wear our down jackets while waiting for the heat to distribute. It does work for me that being more de-cluttered helps my head stay in the place where I want to stick to my eating plan.

Danielle (MarinMaven) - Yep, Kudos for getting to the gym to start your 2015 regime.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies
The following strategies can help you to stay in control while eating out. As you read them, watch out for sabotaging thoughts, such as, I couldn't do that. . . .

Practice what you know. Eat slowly and notice every bite, even if you're distracted by your companions and the environment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 216.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #92  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I realize that the scale has absolutely no valid connection to where I'm really at with food right now but I recognize, for me, that daily waiting is important. Credit. I've had several mentions in the past week about how I'm visibly losing another layer, and my sis, especially I believe. She sees me every third week now. My clothes feel looser, yet I'm still hanging on to the remnants of my cold and the stress is at an all time high (Hubbys DD hasn't been arrested yet and ex-wife flies in Tuesday).

Despite all, I continue to try and make the best choices possible and I'm grateful to be back on my own turf. I put sis on airplane again last night, but not before I went to "Holiday Tea" and the Brown Palace, a long standing tradition. Credit for tasting (and leaving) sweets and for leaving some mini sandwiches, too. Stopped At WHFoods on the way home, where I only bought essentials and picked up a frozen beef/broccoli since I knew I didn't feel like cooking. (high sodium). Actually, my taste is coming back a bit but I know I've been leaning towards saltier things-wanting to taste something.

So, today is a new day and I'm thankfully sipping on my fresh smoothie before work. It's so grounding and I can actually taste the ginger root and raspberries.

I wanted to spend a bit more time here this morning but I'm running short on time.

Welcome MarinMaven! Glad you are joining us!

curlypudge, good for you rethinking your user name!

love2garden, I originally found our Beck forum through one of the decluttering threads. I knew I wanted different with my body/health and I knew I wanted different with my environment. I made an incredible transformation over these years and definitely notice daily how my improved environment affects both my food plan/choices AND my self esteem.

everyone! Work calls!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-11-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #93  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for eating what I planned after an hour in the cold. CREDIT for acknowledging that there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing -- and dressing so that I stayed comfortable.

I messed up and didn't eat quite what I planned later in the day. But it was really just a matter of forgetting what I wrote on my plan. A good reminder that it's not enough to write my plan -- I also have to look at it!

Today's challenge is a brunch at a place I've never been. I haven't done a brunch anywhere in years, in fact. CREDIT for planning it at lunch time so that I won't get my meals confused -- it's lunch. I've written an elaborate plan for myself, taking an educated guess on what will be available. I'll start by focusing on fruit and vegetables, if any. I'll skip most starches, but allow one small sweet at the end if something is really special. I'm also going to estimate calories and keep it at about 500.

WI: +0.3 kg , Exercise: +30 370/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #94  

Height: 5' 2"

Gardenerjoy, hope your brunch Lunch was satisfactory to your taste and to your plans.

Debbie, how encouraging your post is and it gives me hope that I can write some of those words by 2016.

Bill, laughed and agreed with your comment on the film. No wonder we find watching basketball safer.

Credit: Fresh grapefruit as last snack over 4 hours after supper. Credit: Fixed great veggies to go with Lasagna last night and enjoyed every bite.
Credit: Reading cards, journaling, and almost talked myself into going to the gym.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Happy Sunday!!

Reporting in that I completed the first week of South Beach Phase 1 100% on track. Starting in on the 2nd week today. I feel really good and am not having any problems with planning my meals. It is a relief not to count calories. I am measuring most of my food though- there is no way I am not doing that. It is hard to believe- a week with no sugar, no wheat, no rice, no potatoes and no pasta. Also no fruit. The worst craving I had this week was for a really big Mac apple I saw at that grocery store. I didn't have it though. I know it would have made no difference to my weight and I will be eating apples again in a week but it is so important that I actually follow through with what I said I would do. I need to show myself I can do this.

MarinMaven- hello and a belated welcome. Will need to google the Food Addicts diet- I am not familiar with that. Glad to hear it is going well for you.

BillBlueEyes-I am jealous of your temperatures. We were at -26 C this morning. A week in Italy sounds wonderful. South Beach does Phase 1 for 2 weeks, then Phase 2 until you lose all the weight. Which might be forever for me. LOL.

gardenerjoy- so smart to plan your brunch out in detail. Hope it goes well.

silverbirch-waving hello. Seven less pounds is always a good thing!

curlypudge-thanks for a bit of motivation to do some January cleaning and will try out the magic eraser.

maryann-am also trying to stick to the green book skills sheet. I find that they really help.

love2garden-I totally agree that clutter does not help staying to an eating plan- especially in the kitchen.

Nuxmaga-sounds like you had a nice day and credit for eating a healthy snack instead of going out.

nationalparker-best of luck with your 6 weeks 6 pound goal.

Lexxiss-yay for continuing to try and for making good choices. Having your clothes feel looser must be a wonderful feeling.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #96  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 25 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, with a start like this to my 6 in 6 plan I need to hope I don't GAIN 6 in 6. Hm. Can resurrect the day for the most part with a very light dinner.

Credits for shoveling snow, and DH and I did a neighbor's driveway and sidewalks as well.

Finally got all Christmas decor down, sorted, culled and boxed/binned up and up in the attic, and outdoor lights down. We're in for an ice storm, supposedly, so am already thinking about the drive in to work tomorrow - go or try to see about working from home. I wanted so much to just "be" for awhile this weekend and that didn't happen at all.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #97  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Hello all. I am lurking and reading. Thank you for all your posts and sharing.

hugs, Cathy

PS I have started with the PINK book....I picked this one mainly because it was published first.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 208/175.4/145

Height: 5'6"

So pleased to report another great day on plan! Credit moi (as BBE would say- love that), for having Tea at the roller rink. I knew I wasn't going to eat anything, but I wanted a Diet Pepsi so badly, but I had tea instead. And you know what, tea was more than fine. Yay me!

The thing that gets me every time I start eating well again is this. The day before I start my "diet" I'm always so sad that I have to diet again. I also feel so blue and depressed. I make sure to eat all my favorite foods in excess. I feel like crap and so horrible, and again, sad about having to dieting.

The funny thing is that I feel a million times better now that I'm eating well! I feel alert, positive, good, and hopeful. So when I look longingly at a food, it's important to remember that I'm not actually happier when I'm eating those things in excess. I'm happier when I have a plan and am in control.

Back with personals tomorrow. Best to all, Danielle
Old 01-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 173/177/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Checking in here was my last 'to do." Green Book says check in everyday and for now that is what I will do.

Credits: weighing myself. weight at ticker.
Worked 100% of skills including first hunger experiment. It was shocking to me how much my skill had deteriorated from last year. I wanted to get up every hour at least and nibble. A half hour before dinner, I was almost panicked. So grateful that I have begun disciplining myself again. No wonder I gained 15 pounds last year. I am lucky I didn't gain more.

Another big credit: I spent about two hours finding outfits in my wardrobe that fit me at this weight - not things that almost fit (which would be uncomfortable and depressing since everything fit beautifully last year at this time). I found four work pants and three work dresses that will work and put the smaller sizes in another room until they fit again. Then I matched those bottoms with various sweaters, blouses and jackets. This gave me at least 16 choices. I chose jewelry for each outfit and then took a picture of the ensemble filing into my "wardrobe" app. I know it sounds compulsive but an investment of two hours means I don't have to think about what to wear for the next couple months. I think that is how long it will take me to get back closer to goal.

Ceejay: I am thrilled Southbeach is going so well.

Off to bed.

Last edited by maryann; 01-12-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #100  
persist

S/C/G: 150/-6.4/-150

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

I am leaving behind a less, much less, than perfect week. Today I bought and ate sugar and snacks that come in a bag. Did not plan or anything. Will plan and do better moving forward. I want a better check in next Sunday night.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, in the frigid cold. The joy was that there was no snow, ice, or slush to make walking a challenge. The city streets still have Christmas trees on the curb waiting for the Works department to pick them up and grind them into mulch that's used in public gardens and parks. It's one of the recycling events that work. I've walked on the mulch; the evergreen smell remains even into the summer.

Food was OK. Dinner with DW was at a new Thai restaurant. New Thai restaurants are now common; Chinese restaurants are closing regularly. I had the evening's special - a Pho dish. It was a lot of water and a lot of food in a large bowl. It came with a cup of bean sprouts to sprinkle on top - I counted those as zero calories. One good thing about a Thai restaurant is that no basket of bread and butter ever appear. I left about half, CREDIT moi.

onebyone Goodbye old week. Kudos for, "Will plan and do better moving forward."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Kudos for conquering brunch. For me, brunch always becomes an additional meal for the day - not desirable. Following your link to your Bletchley Park visit, naturally I've started reading Cryptonomicon. All I can report so far is that my mind is being bent and that I know the name of the Marching Band Glockenspiel. Yay for the Internet for expanding my horizons.

CeeJay - Super Kudos for exactly sticking to your South Beach plan even though one Macintosh Apple wouldn't have shown up on the scale.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Continue to send supportive thoughts for the family drama that you can't control. I'm impressed that you can taste sweets at the restaurant and leave some behind.

maryann - My admiration for doing that wardrobe planning stint - an activity that doesn't even have a space in my brain. Kudos for revisiting the Hunger Experiment.

nationalparker Yay for packing up Christmas before the ice storm hit those outdoor lights. Hope today's drive is OK.

love2garden - Yep, Kudos for grapefruit as an evening snack - my fave. And Almost Kudos for "almost talked myself into going to the gym," LOL.

cathydoe - Bon Voyage into Beck's Pink Book.

Danielle (MarinMaven) - Tea instead of Diet Pepsi is Kudos worthy. Love the thought about the dread for healthy eating vs. the joy once it's underway.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies
The following strategies can help you to stay in control while eating out. As you read them, watch out for sabotaging thoughts, such as, I couldn't do that. . . .

When you're finished eating, make it final. Arrange the flatware so that the handles rest in the remaining food. If you can, put your paper napkin on our plate. Push away your plate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 216.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #102  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

Stick with my plan yesterday and I've weighed in this morning. Still seeing no results on the scale and I'm moving on and accepting it. I head out to work very soon and still need to make my morning smoothie. I've already accomplished my spontaneous exercise for the day-I took down the bling tree and hauled it to the basement put it in the bag and put it away. I move the extra tires from the little car and I went out and did all the sweeping of the sidewalks. Credit. I'm hoping today is a busy day. I like the exercise and I like that money. Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-12-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #103  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinMaven View Post
The funny thing is that I feel a million times better now that I'm eating well! I feel alert, positive, good, and hopeful. So when I look longingly at a food, it's important to remember that I'm not actually happier when I'm eating those things in excess. I'm happier when I have a plan and am in control.

Back with personals tomorrow. Best to all, Danielle
This is why I am here...for inspiration from people and they don't even know they are doing it! Thank you so much...all of you!!

It has been almost 2 years since I gave up soda, pop or soft drinks. Diet to be specific. 2 years! Not a slip and not a sip. The thing that gets me...after 2 years is I still really crave it...and it is difficult sometimes. So this morning I was thinking about food...will I have such difficult cravings like I do with soda? And I was thinking about how tough the last days have been. Ugh!! And then came on 3FC and read what Danielle/MarinMaven wrote...BOOM...it is all in perspective! I feel the calmness come inside. Thank you!!

CREDIT My treadmill is up and ready for these feet to jump on! While waiting for the dryer it be done I stood there and did exercises.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #104  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Food okay and still no exercise. I haven't gotten rid of the darn cough that means I pretty much have to sleep sitting up. I guess it's a little better. Yesterday I didn't even leave the house. I watched our church service on a streaming video since I didn't want to go and spread my germs. During the sermon our paster gave the quote that, "Habits eat will power for breakfast" John Ortberg, boy is that true for all of us. I know people always seem to be looking for will power, but it's the habits that really keep things going.

We're starting to get calls from friends and family who want to come for a visit. I've got to pick up a new wall calendar to record the dates. I hope it's nicely spread out since I have backpacking training to do this year. If I didn't say it already I am off the waiting list and onto the Wonderland Trail trip 9/1 thru 9/11.

[B]CeeJay[B] I'm very impressed with your 100% on plan week. I think I will give this week a 100% effort. I know exercise may not pick up yet, but it doesn't mean the food plan can't. I haven't put a morsel in my mouth yet, so it is a good time to start.

Maryann What an accomplishment to have your wardrobe all figured out. I really need to add some things to mine, but I keep thinking I'll get some weight off first. Mostly I wear very casual clothes since I don't work, but when it comes time to dress up I'm sunk. My Mom always dressed and accessorized beautifully. I'm afraid I come up short.

Waving to the rest of you and hoping to be able to report some exercise soon!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #105  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for doing well at the brunch. The evidence: I was hungry before my normal afternoon snack time.

WI: +0.05 kg , Exercise: +45 370/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: good luck with Cryptonomicon! It took me about three weeks -- but that included the long day of flying back to the US.

onebyone: great to see you back here!

maryann: clever solution to the wardrobe dilemma. That will be great as you're getting back into the semester.

CeeJay: woohoo! Celebrating a great week!
Closed Thread