Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #166  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Legitimate, full scale, 100% on plan eating, CREDIT moi. About time to see that. That includes skipping all three scheduled snacks just because I was busy or distracted. Naturally, and unusefully, I hesitate to take credit since I've such a string on non-credits before this. So, just to tweak my stubborn neurons, CREDIT moi again.

Walked, CREDIT moi, with a jacket again. This should be the attire for the next six months. Amusement was watching city workers use a large hydraulic grinder to eat a tree stump. It was just amazing machinery in action. The big teeth slowly ate a layer each pass until all was gone. Afterward the chips were scooped up; there is no evidence of a tree ever existing. Now, the big question: When will the city replace it with a new tree as they've promised?

onebyone – I can imagine that it's difficult to plan a week with an uncertain car and an uncertain trip to pick it up. Hope it turns out to be a fan belt.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – The phrase "healthy lifestyle" appeals to me much more than 'diet.' 'Diet' is what's covered in the magazines at the supermarket checkout.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for eyeing your day with credits for the good and accepting the minor deviations.

silverbirch – I can't get enthusiastic about inventing a Sabotaging Thought when one isn't knocking at the door. Positive thoughts about food seems like a winning way to avoid falling into middling manufactured foods for which no positive thoughts are available.

maryann - Thanks for "I put yesterday away." I need to remember that each day starts anew.

nationalparker – Kudos for doing what's needed even if that's mowing and bagging. LOL at "my yard becomes a petri dish of every weed" - why yes, yes, that's how the little buggers work.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for competition among cable companies. We're stuck with a monopoly that charges like one. I wish I spoke Spanish. Beyond "Hasta la vista, baby."

Mountain Mamma - I share your joy with some of the writing skills of the posters here, including "the complete sentences!", he said blushing at his personal drifts into phrases between periods. Yep, there's no censorship; opine away.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24 Deal with Discouragement
Once I focus only on what I have
to do today, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 191.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #167  
Green Tomatoes

Today is Success Skill 1 -- Motivate Yourself Daily. In other words, make a list of Advantages to losing weight and read them every day. For now, I'm putting them on separate 3x5 cards in the same file box with my Response Cards and other things I created during the preliminary tasks.

Read Advantages Cards: yes
Read Response Cards: yes

maryann: I also sometimes have trouble with eating when things are going well -- I sometimes think it's a need to create drama for myself. A thought that can prompt me to find healthier ways to do it (If I want drama, read a book or watch a show!).

nationalparker: Good job on completing your mowing project!

karenrn: hope it was all good news at your doctor's appointment.

Mountain_Mamma: good job getting back here after things went haywire.

silverbirch: I remember struggling with the idea of sabotaging thoughts, too. At the beginning of the venture, I just don't have that many. The concept became useful later in the process. I also think the term "sabotaging" was descriptive but over-dramatic. This is more accurate but too wordy: thoughts that would benefit from being re-framed.

Lexxiss: The Serenity Prayer is such a helpful construct for me to work through. Otherwise, I sometimes miss the reality of the situation.

onebyone: hope your car's problems aren't too bad.

BillBlueEyes: yay for the 100% OP day and firmly taking credit for it!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #168  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Default . I

Good morning coaches,

Eating on plan and within calories and no beer yesterday, credit. So far my plan of changing my diet a bit is working great. I still get hungry, but no hungrier than usual. I do try to stay away from sweets when possible since once I have one sweet I feel I need to have more and daily too.

I hiked this morning. Had to get out for a quick one (90 minutes) because the landscape people were arriving at 8 to start a big project. It is going to be a little messy and possibly stressful around here for the next bit. There is a landscape project and the house is being restucco'd and painted. After that the 2 bathrooms will start. I'm going to get out and get my exercise the best I can. Mostly there will be no reason for me to be here.

My dog had a problem this morning that is worrisome. His back legs weren't working right. He had come out to the front yard where I was. My husband said this happened once when I was in New York. I'm taking him into the vet tomorrow. My friend teasingly said, "Well you'll know once they do the MRI." Harley is going to be 15 in February, so I know he doesn't have a whole lot longer. His skin is a bit of a mess right now, so I'll get this thyroid checked. They cut his dose in half a while back and perhaps it is too low. This wouldn't do anything to his legs, but we'll see. We just love the little guy.

My right hip is still a little sore from all the walking on concrete in New York. My motto is "Better living thru chemistry", but I forgot to use it on myself and had only take ibuprofen a couple of times in the past 4 or 5 days. I remembered to take it when I got home and all is well. I think I just need to do that a few times a day for a few days and I'll be fine.

My doctor's appointment yesterday was just the usual annual exam and all is well. I feel remarkably good for a 61 year old!

Lexxis I hope you're feeling better today.

Hello to everyone and I hope this day is going more smoothly for those who need that. I've got some homework to get to.

Karen
Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #169  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Far too busy a day with a terrible small editing job. Over now and I've fallen into bed. Credit!

Thank you for your helpful comments. Will get to them properly tomorrow.

Credit for checking in. And see you all tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi All,

Still here, still struggling. Credit today for doing everything I set out to do. That has not happened more than once in October. Once again, I am regrouping.

Thanks for this this morning Bill:

"Once I focus only on what I have to do today, dieting will be easier."

Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #171  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Am trying to cram all I can into these days before the trip. I have a hard time balancing my 8:30-5 job with the rest of the prep. Lunch was out with a friend, and I ordered well ... dinner was light but later, and I keep trying to talk myself into eating more because I didn't eat what I think I should have tonight. So what do I do? Put a very small potato in the microwave - potato is my feel loved food. I baked it, peeled it and peeled off the green that was on it, cut it in half and half dropped into the sink! Someone flicked it out of my bowl, I know ... so just dumped the rest in the sink and ran the disposal. Not sure who helped me, but that was funny. I hate wasting food ... but I guess I didn't need it.

Karen - Best of luck with Harley tomorrow at the vet. I HATE not knowing what is going on with them. Now my worries for travel is pets, not parents. Will keep the positive thoughts going for you.

Bill - I like that message for today - and I think I'll work harder to carry that over into more of my life. All of it is easier if I focus on what I have to do today.

GardenerJoy - Is your daily motivation one different thought each day or a review of your ARCs? Do you switch them up?

CeeJay - I can't remember a day when I did all I needed to do to stay OP, honestly. I think 80% on is pretty good. Hang in there and looking forward to seeing how your Wednesday goes. Stringing together two days is the start of your "chain of success"! You're halfway there

Logging off to get to bed. And to eliminate any pantry allure.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-21-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Working away and ready to turn in when remembered didn't check in today, so here it is. Back to exercise, not as much as I wanted, but Gardenerjoy keeps us honest with those dang monthly challenges of hers.

All evening told myself hunger is NOT an emergency while fasting for bloodwork tomorrow. Almost became an emergency when DH ate ice cream. The kind of emergency the neighbors call 911 about.

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 10-22-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #173  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – On plan eating, CREDIT moi. That's the second day in a row. Evening snack was an apple - a welcome part of the fall. I did have an afternoon snack because we were headed out and weren't to return until 8pm to gather leftovers for dinner.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at Trader Joe's to replenish my supply of walnuts and the like. They were touting a new veggie burger with corn and quinoa. So I accepted the sample. They are really good. Bought a pack. Every now and then I buy what a store is offering as samples which makes me feel that snarfing the FREE stuff is OK. Evening entertainment was a free Opera program at the Boston Public Library - one of Boston's most elegant buildings. The place is worth an admission price just to look around.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's neat that you use real 3x5 index cards.

CeeJay - Kudos for doing what you set out to do - can't do better than that.

silverbirch – Small editing jobs must be the hardest. When you master that you might become a Headline Writer - highest paid per word of all writers. My favorite is from the New York Post Headless Body in Topless Bar. And from The Sun on your side of the pond, Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious. Here are some other examples from google.

nationalparker – Love the potato story - we could all use a dieting angel like that. Kudos for "to eliminate any pantry allure."

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for "all is well" at the annual exam. Hope your dog does OK at his exam.

Mountain Mamma - LOL at the near 911 emergency when your DS was eating ice cream in front of you. Hope your blood work comes out OK today.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

You've been reading a lot about sabotaging thoughts in this book. I've included the most common ones that I've heard from dieters over the years. I've also found, though, that every dieter has additional sabotaging thoughts. It's important for you to learn to recognize your unique sabotaging thoughts and to respond to them effectively.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #174  
Green Tomatoes

Today is Success Skill 2 -- Weigh Yourself Daily. Yikes! I gained 11 pounds since the last time I weighed myself two months ago -- and I thought that number was high. Well, I can't change what I weigh today, so I have to accept it. I can change what I weigh in the next few weeks and months if I have the courage to keep coming back here and keep practicing my Beck skills every day. So, here I go.

I decided to focus, as she suggests, on a 5-pound goal. That's what I put in my stats and ticker. I also made a chart for the bathroom wall with a post-it note to move down as I lose. It's a 5 pound chart. I'll make a new one, and get my 5-pound reward, when I'm done with that one.

Read Advantages Cards: yes
Read Response Cards: yes

CeeJay: glad to see you here!

nationalparker: Beck's idea is to read the ARCs every day for motivation. I like your idea to focus on a different thought each day, too. I wrote one of my advantages on my to do list for today so I can see it all day long.

BillBlueEyes: if I keep using real 3x5 index cards, one of my rewards for a 5-pound loss will be a multi-color package of cards. Then, I can have the fun of color-coding.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #175  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Decided to post after I took the dog to the vet. Food on plan yesterday, within calories and no beer, credit. I hiked the 90 minute hike again today so I could get up and be ready to take the dog to the vet at 9. It was still kind of dark when I got there, but I realized not too dark when I got out of the car. My windows are tinted because of the heat and they do make it darker. I arrived there just after 6 a.m. when the gate opens.

So the vet says he thinks Harley looks better than he expected. He saw him last all of 4 months ago. He is not in heart failure, his skin is pretty good except where he has some growths (lots). He thinks his anxiety in the evening might be due to his poor vision or he may even have a little cognitive decline. We will keep more lights on in the evening to see if that helps. He isn't sure about the legs, but he isn't having any pain in his spine and can still jump up on the couch. He wants to me listen to his heart and check the pulses in his groin next time it happens. I'll get my stethoscope out so I'm ready. Anyway, $150 later labs were drawn for his thyroid and I was reassured. Actually the vet spent at least 30 minutes with us and then brought in his 16 year old cocker when Harley was getting his blood drawn. He took the dog in when a family wanted to euthanize him when the owner died.

CeeJay I have to semi regroup all the time. The important thing is to continue regrouping. Glad you were able to do all you set out to do.

Nationalparker Boy do I hear you on the potatoes. When my Dad was in the hospital I think I had mashed potatoes and gravy nearly daily and he was there for 2 months. Good for you for sending it on down the disposal.

Mountain Momma So happy there wasn't a critical incident at your house. I'm always happy when my husband decides we don't need any ice cream in the house.

Gardener Joy Good thing to remove those pounds pronto. I still think if we don't let them stay long they come off a little more easily. I may be deluding myself, but I prefer that idea. I'm also trying to use the 5 lb goals.

Bill Big time credit for two days in a row. Also, I just love the idea that you can walk to different stores. We have a green belt and nice paths nearby, but it doesn't seem like where you live at all.

I'm hungry now, but it isn't an emergency and lunch is in about 30 minutes. Take care all and have a good day!

Karen
Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #176  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just a quick hullo this evening. I'm very tired again and have just got into bed.

Bill, thanks for the headlines. I decided a few years ago to work on them whenever I write or edit articles for a socio-political site. Just go for it, I told myself. It's harder than you think. The Sun has some corkers.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

This morning DH apologized for making breakfast (as if he had a choice!) as I couldn’t eat it so a bit remorseful for my bad thoughts last night. Thank you Bill for the encouraging words. Turns out – New Guidelines - ta da! – if one has a good cholesterol test, one doesn’t need one EVERY YEAR. Well, I fasted, darnit so I went ahead.

1x1 – Sorry to hear about the car. Always sad to see one being towed. Hope not too $erious.

Gardenerjoy – I’ll have access to Beck in a few days and I’m going to follow along what you are doing. I need a total re-read and brushup.

Lexxis – you are between an ill sister and a depressed husband. Not a good position, but you seem to be managing well. Glad you’re hanging in there.

Ceejay, kudos for being On Plan!

Karenrn – walking on concrete is hard, and you’re used to those more forgiving trails. Sorry to hear about Harley’s issues but sounds like he’s okay, Dogheimers aside. Nothing more touching than an elderly dog. (And I LOVE the name Harley!)

Nationalparker – good move with the potato. I would have made another one! And had 1 l/2! We hear you, I don’t think any of us wants to waste food. And that’s the way it should be, as a nation we Americans (Ok, Gosfordgirl, Silverbirch, and the Canadians, you’re off the hook!) waste too much of everything – yet look where it gets us. Eating every last French fry or M&M for me.

BBE, these snacks you always mention; what are they exactly? You’re always mentioning Boston events and architecture & it makes me nostalgic. One of my favorite cities.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #178  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I hate to do a fly-by today, but running out of time to post unless it's later tonight. Today has been OP and last day before we start driving out to Niagara Falls. DH wants to drive up through Canada, so we have prettier scenery. I need to recognize that even if it takes us two hours longer to do that, it will make his trip more enjoyable and we KNOW it'll be a long drive regardless. I want to GET there. He wants to enjoy the trip. I need to loosen up, so said as long as we have good directions, I'm good with that.

Unfortunately, road trip to me = snacks in the car. And not fruit. So I bought some skinny pop popcorn and some healthy-enough granola bars that can be combined with fruit for breakfasts if we need them, but also determined that we're bringing much of this back with us and not eating it all. I can get in the car and want a snack before we're out of our metro area. We'll pack cooler with water and drinks but stop for lunch and dinner. I said,
"Oh, Canada? [not in the national anthem manner, but just conversationally...] then we MUST stop at a Tim Horton's." He wasn't aware of that dictate and unfortunately I couldn't explain WHAT IT IS! Just that everyone seems to drool over them. Stop or no? As a non-coffee drinker, I just thought they were a coffee shop.

Again, hoping to do personals tonight, but we'll see how the prep goes. Good news, Karen, on Harley... I hate facing aging pets' issues. MountainMamma - your ice cream line CRACKED me up! GardenerJoy - one line on my ARC is I'm picking my "hard" ... from that ole "losing weight is hard ... maintaining weight is hard ... being overweight is hard ... I gotta pick my hard." Bill - When I was checking out at TJoe's last week, the guy was raving about those burgers and said the Cowboy Caviar I bought (corn/black beans and ?) was in the quinoa burgers. That made me want to try them. Hello to all -
sorry for the brevity.

Have a great rest of the week if I'm MIA!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #179  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

I am sitting in my car outside a music shop that my DH likes down in Denver. We are picking up my college roommate for dinner tonight. She's from Seattle and in Denver for a conference. She is from Colorado, though.

This is my second trip to Denver today. The first was for my mother's medical appointment and on the way home we stopped for a healthy piece of pizza and a yummy salad. Credit. That kept me on my plan for lunch and of course I always have my vegetable smoothie for breakfast. Although it was out of the way, I drove by the Chinese restaurant that we're going to and picked up a menu so I could peruse the choices. It looks like they have bamboo steamer veggies which is great! It's really nice to have something without all the cornstarch laden sauce. It will be a heavier than usual dinner but fortunately I can plan ahead for it.
Take care everyone! Safe travels nationalparker. Have a great trip!

I guess I'd better go locate my husband.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 10-22-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
Haven't been doing that well since last friday with eating- very emotional visit with parents. I'm very lucky that they are 1) healthy 2) still married and love each other 3) wonderful parents. But they are getting older, moving from the ancestral home of over 40 years and it makes me sad...i guess that is the only drawback of a good childhood, you miss it at times. Anyhow, very hard to say goodbye to the home i grew up in.
Then came back and had big argument in nuclear family, and just a few rough days. Today we are all walking around on eggshells but doing better.
At least i have been eating some good veggies and salads along with too much dessert! Not even going to get on the scale for a bit.
I have been doing better with feeling hunger during the work day and just ignoring it- being busy is the key.
I did think of you Maryann as i hid the last of my travel candy under a lot of disgusting trash so i wouldn't eat it!
Nationalparker- I didn't have any issues with the Beck book/language either, and took what i wanted from it. I have read a lot of self help books and there are definitely some really annoying ones out there! Have a great trip!!
Karenrn- had to laugh about you leaving your purse on the car- my mom did that years ago quite a few times!
Good night!
Closed Thread