Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #211  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

The clocks went back last night and we had another hour. That was good. Then I went to the office for most of the day and got the latest report done. Now I’ve cleared the decks for half-term. Credit! The DB and I plan to finish painting the sitting room. We should be able to do it - the challenge will be moving things around in the small amount of space. I’ll be pleased when this is done and we can rehang the curtains as it’s getting a bit cold outside for no curtains. In fact, I just like curtains to be shut when it’s dark.

I’m getting more and more into the mood to lose weight and I’m feeling that I can do it which is very encouraging. I lean on the feeling of peace I find here and that helps a great deal. Thank you all. Credit to us all for being here!

WI: down 1lb. Check in: YES. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: just a few stretches. Planned food: YES.

Karen, I hear your Christmas baking announcement! Does it refer to the cookie exchanges that seem to occur in the US around Christmas time or is it wider than that? Credit on reviewing the green book. I'm still working up to opening it.

nationalparker, now I've got a question (well two) for you which has been bothering me for some time. Why isn't Subway fast food? And why isn't it junk food? Safe home from your holiday.

Bill, good work on the gutters. I know what you mean about exercise helping with food but it can backfire on me. When I lift heavy weights I sometimes get absolutely starvingly hungry. That's difficult.

maryann, have a lovely time in the city! Which one is it? And that's just awful about those people stealing the nuts! I'm appalled. Didn't you say a while ago that DH and DS had stayed overnight to guard them? So it must be a problem you've come across before.

gardenerjoy, thanks for your advice on Task 1 in the green book. I can't face the book at the moment and I'm basking in the glory of moving forward with weighing myself every day, planning food and giving credit so I've decided not to rock the boat. Good work on eating more slowly and reading more. That sounds nice.

I must go now and tend the fire. See you all tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #212  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Thumbs up check in on a Sunday

Hi Coaches

Silverbirch and Maryann both recently mentioned that their last weight loss happened when they reduced their suppertime intake. I've been thinking about doing/trying this. I've also been wondering about setting up a foodplan that is based on the calories I would eat if I were the weight I'd like to be. What has stopped me from doing that is I think of all the theories that say don't starve your body or really lower your caloric intake as your body will go Hey! I'm starving! and it will lower it's metabolic rate so you don't lose weight. I don't know what to do frankly. I'm just eating like "normal" and maintaining my current weight. I might finally be done with this.The longing to be smaller, to dress better, to feel better and not so physically tired is getting stronger. That my birthday is coming is a reminder to get it together and make this dream come true.

I'm lost getting things made for shows and submissions and sales and if I'm not checking in it just means it's the end of the day and I am too exhausted to post.

Glad I got here tonight.

Have a good one!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #213  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
It has been a long week - my husband's employer waited until the last possible moment to tell him that my insurance will be $1200 a month starting Nov 1st. I did find a broker from networking and she sent me info for short term plans and then ACA plans for 2015.

Today we walked at a local park - credit. I sent most of the leftover pie from company last night with my husband for his church coffee hour - credit. Spent time in the studio, with two more house numbers sealed and ready to ship - credit. Went on a studio tour on Friday of artist Steve Tobin - lifted my mood. His sculptures are amazing.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #214  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another fine day to be out. Walk, CREDIT moi, consisted of looking for migrating ducks in the brisk sunshine. Saw lots of ducks passing through, including Canvasbacks with their distinctive brown heads.

Converted my meals into smaller portions in response to larger than planned snacks. A good-enough recovery; I wish I wouldn't snack at all. (The book that has me mesmerized is Intimate Tyranny: Untangling Father's Legacy by Jean K. Mason. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of many of a genre, but it's the only one I've read.)

onebyone – Kudos for "getting things made" since that's what you've set your professional goals to do. Yep, creating the feeling of 'starving' doesn't work for me either.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder to give ourselves credit without immediately undermining it.

silverbirch – Yep, painting walls with furniture in the room is a challenge. I've done both, but usually don't have a place where the furniture can be moved. Thanks for the thought that it's a "feeling of peace" that we can draw from each other here.

maryann - Congrats to your boys for a shutout last night - couldn't have asked for a better game to attend. [Aghast at the story of the family stealing nut because they were "just lying there."]

nationalparker – Kudos for accurately counting your vacation calories. Hope the drive home was a nice as the drive out.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for friends who are also conscious of what they eat.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Ouch for the bite from health insurance - hope you find the plan that's right for you. Kudos for sending that pie away.

Mountain Mamma - Drat those healthy snacks. They just glide down as if they had no calories. LOL at the memories of stealing my kids’ candy after I forced them to go to bed. LOL again at always getting caught - the little buggers memorized their entire bags of candy.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It
Write each thought you identify in your diet notebook. For now, don't worry about what to do about these thoughts. You'll learn how to respond to them in a couple of days.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #215  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have been so busy and a strong plan not been a strong priority. I work 2 more days then have a 5 day reprieve over the hill. Credit for continuing to weigh, trying to make the best food choices I can and for getting everything else accomplished that I've been required to do. Ok...11 minutes until work. Smoothie is made just need to drink it.

Take care everyone!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #216  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for eating slowly most meals and snacks yesterday. I'll want to work on supper this week because I eat that with my husband and I keep forgetting to eat it slower. Credit for having herbal tea last night when what I really wanted was more supper.

Success Skill 5 is Get Moving. I've got a good base for this. But, I could use some strength-training in my life. I tend to do ST in the winter and yard work in the summer so it's time to get back to it. For lack of a better idea, I think I'll do the routine in the back of the green book. I'll aim for Mondays and Thursdays.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +30 630/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Mountain_Mamma: eating slower has helped more than I even hoped -- I'm full and don't want more AND I've had plenty of time to read! I'm getting through my book more quickly now and it was going very slow before.

silverbirch: You're doing great! The green book sitting there as a talisman may be all you need right now.

onebyone: I like Beck's method in the green book, starting with the highest level that enables me to lose weight, moving down a level when I plateau. That's what worked for me the first time and I intend to do it again when I get to Stage 2.

Nuxmaga: sorry for the insurance woes. That's never a good day. Way to go getting pie out of your house.

BillBlueEyes: Watching ducks migrate sounds like a great day!

Lexxiss: glad to see your quick check-in. Hope you get some time to breathe during your 5 days away from the restaurant.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #217  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back home safely and off to start the workweek for both of us - DH working nights again this week. So good to get home to the cats and DH will pick up our pooch tomorrow when he gets off work in the morning. His folks live about 90 minutes from us, so not a quick jaunt.

Silverbirch - I probably need a disclaimer that these are my opinions only, but I view "fast food/junk food" as more of the burgers, fries, etc. type of food, and at Subway, I can get a wheat sandwich with turkey, variety of fresh veggies rather than just lettuce and tomato on top of whatever, and it fits easier into my healthier eating plan.

Bill - Thought of you as we entered New York from Canada and immediately ran into a "waterfowl viewing area". Credits for adjusting the meals to accommodate the snack portions.

OneByOne - I've found success by reducing my dinner portions as well, but find it SO HARD to do when I'm eating with DH. I work to do that when he's working nights (like this week). I think of the studies that show folks have lost x more pounds when eating the same calories but spread out differently. I know they can show whatever with data but when I'm cutting it down at night, I believe in that success! ha ha

Aiming to log on with more personals this evening at home to help me stay on track. Brought lunch and had smoothie for breakfast, so plans are to stay on track and lighter than normal for a few days. But not so light that I overindulge and mess up.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
yikes, its been awhile since I've posted. I feel discouraged when I go way off program so then I don't post- I guess I don't want to keep saying" I'm doing badly!" everyday!
But back on track today, and credits for not eating late at night for two nights when I actually felt hungry.
Having an easier time dealing with hunger because stomach is still off and I hate that bloated feeling I sometimes get when I eat. I guess I need to keep giving the meds a chance, hopefully this will resolve soon.

Just saw the video "Fed Up" which blames sugar for much of the obesity in kids especially, and calls it an addictive substance (which I agree with!). Encourages me to decrease my sugar intake. I do enjoy documentaries when I agree with the message!

Mountain Mama-
I'm with you on the Halloween candy, I finally bought it yesterday and will work to resist it! I took about 10 minutes to figure what to buy that wasn't too pricey, and a mix of stuff I can stay out but a few things I like too: since the kids will be eating it in front of us for a few weeks I know I will be crabby if I c an't have a little! Too bad its so close to the other holidays.
Nationalparker- welcome back! I enjoyed hearing about your travels.
Karenrn- I'll chime in with the others and say good for you to no xmas baking! I may end up making cut outs since we won't have time/space to do it with my mom as usual- but that is it!!
Maryann- hope you had a great day, sounds really fun!
Bill- thanks for mentioning your book titles, you read some really interesting ones that I hope to check out.
Waving hello to everyone else!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #219  
in development

Another demanding day. I have a number of explosive balls in the air at present which I juggle, juggle, juggle not knowing which one is going to shoot out sparks and hurt me next.

Today I’ve been working on some annoying research at home for a client who doesn’t understand that what they want is probably not there. After lunch I rang my mother and gave her moral support about her brothers and one of her oldest friends.

I came off the phone with my whole body fizzing (not in a good way) and my eye twitching. I tried to sit quietly with a cup of tea but it didn’t work so I recruited the DB to walk me to the end of the road and back. Credit! We’ve just come back in. It was damp and blowy and a raven passed overhead to give someone (not us, I don’t think) a friendly or not-so-friendly warning. Cronk!

WI: up 0.25lb. Check in: YES Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: YES, 20 minute walk. Planned food: YES.

onebyone, very good to see you! Hope your work's going well.

nuxmaga, glad your work is going well. What do you make?

Bill, how many snacks do you allow yourself each day? Is it realistic to cut them/one out or do you think you would overeat at mealtimes?

Debbie, beaming you supportive thoughts as you juggle so many things.

gardenerjoy, thank you. I feel I'm doing rather well although the scales haven't shown that yet. I'm very interested that eating more slowly worked so well for you, in terms of hunger and in terms of reading.

nationalparker, thanks for your comments about Subway. It came over here a few years ago and I walk past one occasionally. I've never been in as I don't like the smell (which I associate with fast food). I don't think I'd realised it was a sandwich shop.

curlypudge, good to see you. "I do enjoy documentaries when I agree with the message!" made me laugh.

Till tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #220  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

A quick check in today. Food on plan and within calories yesterday, no exercise except walking around the large warehouse tile store.
Today a short hike near the trailhead where I do a volunteer "greeting" job a couple of times a month, credit. Food planned.

Application and back-up provided to HOA this morning. It should be just fine.

For those that mentioned about my not baking at Christmas. I don't participate in a cookie exchange. I make pounds of buttery cashew brittle, pans of Nanaimo bars, Seven layer bars, Spritz, candy cane cookies and pecan tastes, shortbread and Russian Teacakes. Then I give them to friends and my former co-workers on platters wrapped in cellophane and ribbons. I enjoy doing it, but I'm usually exhausted after the several days of baking. I can't seem to leave them alone. I almost always gain 5 to 7 pounds over the holidays mostly from my own baking. Not only that, but some of the people I give them to have their own weight struggles.

Hope you all are having a good Monday.

Karen
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #221  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Dinner has been OP and a good talk with my brother and DH have been the evening's activities. Folks' home sale hasn't closed yet - close, though. My brother has been doing a yeoman's job and I'm so appreciative of all he's been doing.

Karen - The conversation about Christmas baking has me rethinking my holiday baking as well. Typically I bake a lot of biscotti and a variety of cookies, and also use these as gifts. I'm trying to figure out what I could cut back on and what is MY biggest temptation?

CurlyPudge - I hope I see you post tomorrow and that you're on track. I feel like I keep having trouble staying on track and while it makes me feel less "alone" that I'm struggling.

Silverbirch - I'll honestly say that skipping Subway doesn't have you missing out on anything It's often my best choice when in a hurry or traveling, but doesn't compare to homemade.

GardenerJoy - Thanks for the reminder of tea as something I can turn to in the evenings. I go in cycles and was out of that routine!

CeeJay - hope you had a great Monday!

I was reading a book that spoke about eating "for hunger to come" ... That hit me HARD as I do that when traveling. Like I'm seriously going to starve if I skip breakfast.

I restarted on MFP for the first time in maybe a year? Just logged in. No food logged, but reset goals and weight (down!) and will try tomorrow to log food.

My mind has me convinced that I'm on the upward climb that I cannot stop.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #222  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food and under calorie goal - credit. Walk with DH after dinner - credit. Weighed and down 1/2 lb - credit.

Silverbirch - I make glass mosaics, and have 3 house numbers in progress and a Celtic cross for a wedding gift. I hear you on doing research for something that isn't there to find - I used to be a librarian.

Karenrn - Nanaimo bars are one of my difficulties. I grew up in Canada, and now that I am in the States, if I want Nanaimo bars, I have to make them myself, and then I eat way too many of them.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #223  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Smile

Coaches I am off to bed but reporting a sugar free day 9wks-1day today. Credit. DH asked me if I'd like a "birthday ukelele" ... Y E S! Birthday is next week. Happy the big one was last year. They can stop being counted now...

Have a good night.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #224  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Took a second walk, CREDIT moi, because the day was just so nice. Stumbled upon a used copy of Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller - one of my favorite authors - for only 25 cents. That the price of a book can so easily influence my reading list annoys me, but I've already started it; just need to find time to read yet-another-book. Food was OKish.

Major achievement of the day was to remove a 100 pound slab of slate from the trunk of DW's car. I was waiting to assemble a group of strong young men to do it for me, but decided to just test to see if I could slide spacers underneath to make it easier to lift; then to see if it could be partially lifted to tilt toward the trunk lip; then to see if I could swing it down to my cart. Then, having won, I wheeled it over to the spot the DW had designated in our small yard where it supports the year-round bird bath. CREDIT moi for finishing a chore that was being delayed, delayed, delayed without a fair attempt to see what it would take to do it.

onebyone – Kudos for staying your path sugar free.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for having tea when the thought of hunger lurks.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I continue to be encouraged by your busy schedule.

silverbirch – LOL at the image of juggling explosive balls. Kudos for thinking of asking your DB to walk with you down the road. [I schedule three snacks a day - specifically liking the Beck notion of being able to think, I don't have to eat now, it's less than two hours before my next snack/meal. My problem comes when I don't think at all; I just stuff something in my mouth.]

nationalparker – Glad you'll be reunited with your pooch today. [I've never seen a "waterfowl viewing area" sign.] Kudos for starting your MFP even without the data. Just facing the thought "upward climb that I cannot stop" is the first step in stopping.

Karen (karenrn) - That's a lot of Christmas baking - hope you find a path through it. I was blown away the first time I entered a tile store thinking that selection would be an easy task - just didn't expect to encounter a zillion choices with a gargantuan price range.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - I do hope that Nanaimo bars stay in Canada because they'd grab me for sure.

curlypudge - I totally agree that sugar is addictive. Kudos for eating in response to actual hunger.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've consulted:
Dieting is too hard.
I don't care.
It's okay to eat this.
I'm being punished.
It's not fair.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #225  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

All I can say today is looking forward to a break. I got up early to try to accomplish tasks needed to be done before we leave early tomorrow. I made progress but DH woke up grumpy and was of not much help. My rebellious self wanted to be grumpy back and I didn't take the bait. Credit. Now I need to get smoothie going and head to work. Food yesterday was just so-so. I need to get back to a more solid daily plan....and I will.

Take care everyone!
Closed Thread