Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #196  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and within calories yesterday and no beer! This morning I did my hike to Bell Pass, two hours and forty minutes. I wore my heart rate monitor and burned plenty of calories. Plan is to be careful about how many I eat back.

I'm feeling a little disjointed because of some work being done around our house. It will be nice when it is finished, but that will likely be some weeks. Meanwhile I'm trying to stay on track with the food, exercise, and some social life. Summer is such a quiet time around here that I really look forward to more of a social life once it is cooler and more people are around.

My husband is not very happy in his job right now and it makes me wonder if I should go back to work. I must say I dread the thought, but I am trying to keep it under consideration just in case. I've been retired for 2 1/2 years and am 61. I am a nurse, so I'm sure I could find something. The last job I had was basically in a consulting position on a Palliative Care team in the hospital. I met with patients and families and worked closely with the team social worker, chaplain and medical director. I loved working with the patients and families, but as you can imagine it was very sad at times. Because my own parents died in their mid 70's I just decided I wanted to do some things I likely couldn't do if I worked longer.

Lexxis Good job on all that yard work. That is quite an accomplishment.

Dash I give you all the credit in the world for any good days on plan and exercise too while in the doctoral program. I can imagine that is a lot of work. I concur with the others about seeing someone about your lips. Sounds like you are allergic to something. I used a sunscreen I hadn't used once and broke out in welts bad enough I needed steroids. I think the doctor gave me an injection even.

Nationalparker Enjoy your brief vacation. Come on now that car time is quality "captive audience" time.

Gardener Joy When I read your posts it reminds me to read my cards, so thank you for that. I think I'll do a little Green Book review today as well.

Silverbirch I took photos of some great saguaros the other day, but when I tried to put them into my post they were too large, so I'll work on it one day. I know I have resized photos in the past. Good for you for sticking to 3 nuts. I don't often keep them in the house cause at times I can't control myself.

Maryann I'm glad your back is better and I'm sure the massage will feel great. Hopefully it helps your back as well.

Hello to the rest and have a good weekend!

Karen
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Buddy-Coaches - sorry, think I missed a day. Very busy, will get caught up later. Broke into the Halloween candy last night & was so disgusted with myself. Tonight - I managed to stay away BUT I still have to walk past the pantry on my way to bed. Gulp.

More later.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #198  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan enough, CREDIT moi. Specifically, snacking was under control. We had dinner at a new restaurant and I ate what was served - not off the wall but more than I would normally eat.

Only minor walking as the day was busy. Seems that I can get distracted and forget the basic items on my to-do list for the day. I did spend time at the supermarket passing by the Halloween candies one more time. I'm so ready for Halloween to be over. I still feel vulnerable to some good looking dark chocolates should they appear.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Continue to admire your consistency in exercise.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – That's a lot of yard work even for your busy-busy schedule. Can't imagine why someone would dally leaving Florida just when the cold and snow is coming to Colorado.

silverbirch – Yes, yes, exactly the thing about carbs, "They’re not rubbish but there are too many of them." Love Agatha Christie's quip.

maryann - Always a good day starting with "Food plan is committed."

nationalparker – Kudos for throwing away a donut - that's really thinking. Hope the hiking about goes well.

Karen (karenrn) - Had to google a picture of your Bell Pass - love reading about your hikes. You've got such blue in your skies. Kudos for your exercise. Hope the job choices work out for you and your DH.

Mountain Mamma - I do know the call of Halloween candy. Remain strong. Today is a new day.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It
Sometimes, you'll be able to identify your thoughts easily. Other times, you won't. If you're not sure what you were thinking, see "Common Diet-Related Sabotaging Thoughts" on the facing page [in the Pink Book]. If this list doesn't jog your memory, try to figure out what you definitely were not thinking.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #199  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another brief check-in. A bit embarrassing, though, since I'm following "vacation" plan and not "get me to a healthy weight" plan. Breakfast was fine and lunch was late, close to 4, and I was getting overhungry... small sandwich and fries. Figured we'd skip dinner and could have rescued the day there. But then ate a late dinner and watched a movie - ordered a medium thin crust pepper/onion pizza and I ate three slices. Toasted my dad with it. Not sure WHY but apparently fudge is a vacation food and so purchased a square of maple/chocolate and had part yesterday and will try to save the rest for the drive home. Cannot begin to imagine the calorie count in that. So, I'll Scarlett O'Hara that and think about it when I get on the scale when I'm back home. That thought, though, is sobering, so I'd better get on track somewhat.

Enjoying our time here and folks have been friendly. I feel like I'm at a crossroads of many countries with loads of different languages being spoken. Typically we rarely hit a major tourist attraction, so don't get that in campgrounds often.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Woke this morning to a tiny patter. What is that? I ask? That must be rain!!!! What a terrific smell. It also means that DH can now go to DS's recital today. I continue to feel mucky - sore and cranky. My back has gained a little range in motion. Food was OP yesterday but the scale is still above ticker a bit.

And the Giants lost last night.

Nonetheless, the bright side is I have a plan. It might not be perfect but it is a plan. And tomorrow I am off to Game Five of the World Series. This is a big deal. We are staying in a hotel 12 blocks from the stadium so we can walk. It came at a pretty price but this is a once in a lifetime deal. My goal today is to be low in calories so I can have a grand sushi lunch tomorrow in a city known for sushi.

Thanks for listening. I know I am quite the curmudgeon today at last I feel that way. Food is in MFP exercise is back stretches.

Last edited by maryann; 10-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #201  
Green Tomatoes

Success Skill 3 is "Eat Slowly, while Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite."

This is the time to get back to "Eat only in my eating places." I'm sitting down in the car and at my desk, but no good comes of eating in those places.

I'm also re-instituting "Wash it off!" as a mantra in the kitchen. This refers to spoons, fingers, and other cooking utensils.

I never fully managed to develop the success skill of "eat slowly" so I'm going to work on that this time. I'm going to try these two techniques:
  • Put down the fork between bites.
  • Serve water and/or tea with every meal and snack.

I remain unwilling to give up reading while eating, but I see that Beck doesn't actually demand that. I just need to be more attentive to the food. Eating slower will give me more time with my book and that's good. I've noticed that I often want more to eat because I want to read longer. Making the meal last longer will have the same effect with fewer calories.

WI: +0.55 kg, Exercise: +75 560/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

silverbirch: I like the idea of a late afternoon check-in to get things in order before the evening meal preparation.

maryann: I just looked at SleepRate. I think that may help me. I was trying to decide if it was something I wanted to tackle at the same time as this restart of my healthy eating, but then I realized that they haven't released an Android version yet. I'll wait for that.

karenrn: good luck with the "going back to work" decision. I consider that periodically and I think it's a good thing to have in mind should it ever become a necessity.

Mountain_Mamma: How did you do walking past the pantry last night? Did posting here help?

BillBlueEyes: yay for reasonable eating at a new restaurant.

nationalparker: Thanks for the image of a multilingual campground. That's a bit of good news that I could use today!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #202  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A day at the office today which got off to a bad start with lots of interruptions. And I've pulled the muscle around the SI joint again - that's the one which messes up my walking long distances and has stopped my taking up running again.

I think I’ll plan my food at the same time as doing my comms (which I do after chores and giving lifts to people is over in the morning). It will be quick and will set the tone for the day. I’ll also log my weight at the same time. It seems to have worked out OK today. Credit for working out a workable time!

Green book has arrived. Oh oh oh. I’ve had a quick look. I’m not sure whether it’s going to suit me as it seems a bit micro-managing. Will give it a go, though.

I’ve looked out the business cards. They're yet to be transformed into advantage and response cards. I think they’ll fit into whatever I’m carrying them about in.

WI: up 1.5lbs. Check in: YES. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: just a few stretches. Planned food: YES.

maryann, I hope the massage helped and that you got more sleep last night. Lack of sleep is terrible. I think I am running on too little most of the time. And rain! How wonderful for you. I have many bucketsful I can send you if things get very bad.

karenrn, I envy you your hikes. I just don't have the time, most of the time, and see above re the SI joint I'm working on re-educating. I'm 59 and see no retirement in view.

MountainMamma, forgive yourself! And give up Halloween candy. I've heard it's horrible.

Bill, see above re Halloween candy. Full of germs, someone told me.

nationalparker, your trip is sounding good.

gardenerjoy, I was thinking about 'Wash it off!' only yesterday. I will if you will. I read whilst eating at a normal pace (sometimes I slow down if I get to a gripping bit) and continue reading after the meal, 'to let my food go down'.

See you all tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #203  

Good afternoon coaches,

This will be a quick check in. Food within calories barely yesterday and wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for the long hike. 2 beers.

This morning I walked for about 75 minutes with a friend. We go at a good clip and had a nice visit.

We got a "courtesy notice" from our HOA yesterday regarding the changes we're making to landscaping. Oops, we didn't submit plans. Anyway, today I am filling in the application and copying photos and supplying what I can so it will appear that we are trying to comply as well as possible, although late.

We have lived here over 9 years, but have not lived anywhere prior that required this. We should have known and kind of did, but figured it is all very tasteful and wouldn't matter or be noticed. I was wrong. Anyway, so I will do my best to complete this task this afternoon.

One other thing. I signed up for a weight loss challenge today on MFP. There were 25 and 50 pound categories and it is for 25 weeks beginning on 11/3. Anything to keep me motivated. Also, I have decided I can't afford (calorie wise) to do Christmas baking. I am making this announcement so I stick with that plan.

More on Monday!

Karen
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #204  
Enjoying la bella vita

To my Canadian friends on here:
HOW do you survive TIM HORTON'S all over the place? That COULD be taken as a sign that we ate there again tonight. With their warm homemade kettle chips. Just perhaps.

AUGH.

At home, fast food is NOT an option. Except for Subway, I might hit one every few years. Clearly this vacation has been off plan.

Travel home tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #205  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Splendid weather day! I had two unexpected exchanges with neighbors while I was standing on the flat portion of my roof working the leaves in the gutters. It felt so strange to be talking down from two floors up! Both neighbors were in talkative moods in the warm day. My only exercise was doing chores - I just got tangled up and didn't get out.

Food was only OK again. Ouch. Methinks the lack of exercise kept me from a stellar day. I've fallen into a book that I hadn't expected to read that's gripping. It delves into the dynamics of the children from a dysfunctional family selling the family business many years later. All childhood emotions are revisited in the board room - over and over again. Not sure why I'm so drawn to the book since I'm not the recipient of a family business nor am I leaving one for my kids.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm with you on reading while eating if I'm alone. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to be attentive to the food.

silverbirch – I like your use of business cards - very inconspicuous if spotted.

maryann - Have a fun day at the Giants game today. I wish your team well. Kudos for keeping your food and stretches in mind.

nationalparker – I join with you in banning fudge from being sold at vacation spots - I reported here that I fell into that also. <sigh> This Tim Horton's thing sounds like a threat to world harmony - do hope the Canadians can contain it within their borders.

Karen (karenrn) - Oops, indeed, for having to keep the Homeowners' Association in the loop for your landscaping. Kudos for combining the visit with a friend with a brisk walk.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It
For example, if you have an urge to eat something you hadn't planned to eat, ask yourself if you were thinking about any of the following:
  • How unappetizing the food looks and smells?
  • How glad you are that you're not supposed to eat it?
  • How easy it'll be to resist it?
You'll undoubtedly answer in the negative followed by your actual thought: I was thinking I really want to eat it!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #206  
Enjoying la bella vita

Heading out of here in a few minutes and typically on the drives, we aim to do healthier (and often a Subway stop for lunch) ... so I'm hoping that the two-day food fest is wrapped up and that my body rejoiced with the abundance of oh, 2,500 calories each day and seriously hoping that's an overestimate but honestly figuring it's probably spot on. So maybe this week, though I never fast, it'll be a 2:5 week

The scenery has been gorgeous, the folks we've met along the way have been so friendly, and all has gone well.

Went to a late showing of St. Vincent last night and it was surprisingly touching - surprising since I was mainly expecting silly, bawdy humor.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

What a difference a day makes!

I woke this morning and my back was much better. Huge credit for NOT eating any of the sweets at my son's recital reception. He does so well. Even though he started with the wrong bowing on the Allegro by Fiocco and struggled, the sound was beautiful and he was right on pitch. Then he gave a vibrant performance of a modern "anime" soundtrack on the piano. I told him how proud I was to attend such things because I know the work he puts in to achieve what he does. Weight is back to ticker.

And the Giants won!

So today is date night. We leave at 8:00 this morning to head to the city. Grandma has the boy. We have a fancy room in a boutique hotel on the Embarcadero. All my clothes are pack. They fit and are becoming. It is how I have always wanted to look. My food plan is to follow Beck's plan of 25% more than usual and BBE's plan of rare and unusual. I am on the hunt for seafood. (The sushi restaurant hoped for is not open for lunch.) But we are right next to a pier.

gardenerjoy: Thank you SOOO much for reminding me about eating in my eating places and especially "Wash it off!" I am still making PBJs for my boy. One spoon lick could be 100 calories. Sleep rate is rolling out a whole new program next week so it is a good time to wait till the transition is complete. I am excited to see the changes.

karenrn: Great plan for no Christmas baking. I am tempted to switch to french bread rounds wrapped in butcher paper and a cute card. I am never tempted to eat spponfuls of raw bread dough

nationalparker: There is nothing undone in a few days that can't be overcome in a few days of discipline. this is a long race.

BBE: Thought of you this week when I ordered my 25 pounds of shelled Hartley walnuts from our coop. I use them all year. And as for other walnut lovers - driving passed our ranch we caught a family systematically stealing nuts - they had maybe 500 pounds in bags scattered around the orchard. It must have taken them at least three hours. When confronted, they didn't seem to think it was a problem after all" the nuts were just lying there." They were driving a newish cadillac escalade. It is difficult for me to comprehend other people's rationale for their actions.

Last edited by maryann; 10-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #208  

Good morning coaches,

Got the green book out this morning and did some review, credit. Read my a two sets of cards, credit. Food was only slightly above calories yesterday. We had dinner with some friends at their home and I did have 2 beers. They are watching what they eat, so dinner was salmon and very healthy and delicious fare. The company was excellent also. I'm feeling motivated almost like a Monday, yahoo.

Silverbirch Darn about the pulled muscle, it is hard enough to get motivated to exercise without pain while doing so. I am using my old business cards for the Advantages Cards. I found the cards in a drawer in the office and am glad to put them to good use.

Nationalparker Safe travels home today. Thanks for the review on St. Vincent. I'm always on the lookout for a good movie. We are fortunate to have many movie theaters here. Thanks also for warning about Tim Horton's. I'll have to stay out of that place.

Maryann Glad you're back is better. Have a wonderful day today; what a treat! I'm sure you can find some good seafood too. Yes, I'm am trying to think what I will do for Christmas gifts since I won't be baking. The gifts don't have to be large. It will be fun to think about it.

Gardener Joy Your daily posts are such a good reminder to me of what I need to do and it helps. Thank you for that.

BBE Splendid weather day here too. I love this weather about 7 to 8 months of the year. After living in Washington state for 51 years, I just love seeing the blue skies here. What is the name of the book you are reading?

Good day all!

Karen
Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #209  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully ate more slowly yesterday using my two new techniques (put down the fork between bites & drink tea and/or water while eating). CREDIT! Even better, I got the benefits that Beck promised. I felt more full when I was done and didn't want more food immediately -- a problem I've been struggling with lately.

Success Skill 4 is Give Yourself Credit. This is something that I could do much better so that I get the benefits that Beck promises here. So, credit for reading my Advantages and Response cards, for trying a new breakfast idea that I think may help me eliminate sweet cereal from my pantry, and for posting here. And, that's just this morning!

I had forgotten her example of someone who went through the motions of giving herself credit, but then always negated it -- "Yes, it's good that I sat down to eat, but it shouldn't have been such a struggle." I'll want to keep an eye out for that trap.

Credit for reading about Success Skill 4! I put a post-it note on the page with the list of all the things to give myself credit for so that I can re-read it and remind myself. I hope to get better about giving myself credit in the moment.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +40 600/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

silverbirch: I had to figure out how to lose weight without running due to Iliotibial Band Syndrome. It can be done. It's amazing how many ways our bodies can find to go wrong. Or, maybe, more amazing that they function as well as they do.
I suggest ignoring Task 1 in the green book for a while until you decide how you want to do things. The various notebooks, cards, and boxes could all be made to work on your old business cards if you like using them.

karenrn: deciding now not to do Christmas baking is great planning!

nationalparker: safe travels home!

BillBlueEyes: My husband's family inherited a business from their father. It's been quite amazing to learn all the ways it can go wrong. We used to do some psychological work together with family business experts and could probably stand to do more. One of the reasons I get a kick out of watching the royal family in England is that it's really the ultimate family business -- and they sometimes fail so spectacularly.

maryann: Wow! You've managed to pack lots of stellar experiences in one weekend. Sounds great.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Halloween Candy, my nemesis.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I did stay away last two nights. Posting did help, thank you Coaches for your presence here! We purposely do NOT buy Halloween candy beginning of the month because this happens. But a week out it was time. (Silverbirch, Germs? That was a rumor our mothers spread to keep us from eating it all at one go. So they could raid our bags after we went to bed.)

The downside - I drowned out the pantry voices calling by crunching away - I ate healthily - fruit, pecans - but in a quantity that outdid the calories involved in Peanut M&Ms. But hopefully I won't have to go shopping on the 31st to buy candy replacements!

Gardenerjoy -
Quote:
I remain unwilling to give up reading while eating, but I see that Beck doesn't actually demand that. I just need to be more attentive to the food. Eating slower will give me more time with my book and that's good. I've noticed that I often want more to eat because I want to read longer. Making the meal last longer will have the same effect with fewer calories.
This is exactly what I do - eat more to keep on reading! Yet if eating alone I HAVE to read - nope, not gonna give it up.

Silverbirch - sorry to hear about the SI joint. That IS miserable.

karenrn - will you have to redo any landscaping? Or just jump through bureaucratic hoops to please the HOA? Good luck on the MFP challenge. Is giving up the baking a hardship?

Dash, I agree with Karen - staying on plan at all while pursuing the PhD is commendable. What stress. We're here for you!

nationalparker - enjoy your vacation, off-plan is only temporary; you'll be back to your chip-free home before you know it.

1x1 - glad the car is back and that your mom is happy (mostly) with the walker.

Lexxis - yardwork is exercise x 10. Hope you eventually get your coworker back from Florida!

BBE - Had to laugh at the visual of you on the roof with a rake & chatting. Why is it neighbors get talkative when one is obviously busy or not in a good position (so to speak) to chat?!

maryann - Rain, how wonderful for you!!! So glad the back is better. And that you could "Kvell" over your son's good performance!

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 10-26-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Closed Thread