Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've taken the weekend off from hiking. The area where I go is the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale. I also volunteer there patrolling the trails and as a greeter at the trailheads a couple of days a month. We're so fortunate to have over 30,000 acres with wonderful trails. It does get a little busier on the weekends though, so I often take those days off. So, I continue to log my food and drink on MFP and it is very telling that my beer calories are not doing me any good. Unfortunately I like the microbrew type beers. I think if I didn't change anything else I could lose if I give up or really cut down on the beer. Unfortunately my husband likes to have a couple of beers each evening and I like to have a couple with him. He drinks horrible light beer that has way fewer calories. Anyway, when I get in the right frame of mind I just drink iced tea or whatever and it's fine. So it is time to get in that frame of mind if I think I'm going to lose any weight.

Nationalparker So glad to hear about the drop on the scale for you. Boy does that make a difference. I've also been thinking about some fall decorations. I did get out all the pumpkins, ceramic, resin and woven, but a new table cloth would be really nice.

Lexxis Harley has a cardiologist too. He had to have an echocardiogram last year before the vet would do surgery on a growth that needed to be removed. Now he's on two blood pressure meds along with his thyroid med. Luckily we can get them at the people pharmacy and they're not very expensive.

BBE I've been looking at lots of soup recipes. We tend to eat a lot of salad with some kind of protein on top all summer. I think we're going to transition into soup and salad for Fall.

Gosford Girl Out to breakfast sounds just wonderful. I love breakfast out but can rarely get my husband to go. Maybe I'll do French toast or something at home today.

Maryann Oh do I hear you about the same ticker. I sometimes wonder if I'm really trying to lose or if I'm just in maintenance and won't admit it. My weight is 20 pounds higher than I would like it to be though. I can't fit in clothing that is still in style and in my closet. I think part of the problem is that I feel great. If you can call that a problem. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your young friend. It's one thing to lose folks who have had a full life and that is hard enough, but 36 . . I was just starting to get some sense at that age.

WelcomeMountain Momma!

Well that's it for now. Have a great Sunday everyone and let's hope I can begin to change so bad habits.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

The good news about yesterday was I spent a lovely day and evening with folks I have known for over thirty years - pumpkin patch and watching baseball. The bad news is I ate the entire 18 innings it took the Giants to win Game 2. Drat. and I guess "Oh Well." Finding credits I can say 98% eaten sitting down. I logged it all. After too many sweets, I did eat a healthy salad instead of trying to cut calories by ignoring healthy food (an old pattern). I woke up two pounds above ticker. (If the Giants had won in 9 inning maybe I would be a pound less

So I have a nice day in front of me. The leaves are changing colors finally and the boys won't be back till dinner.Food is in MFP. As I look through the food diary, it again surprises me that three reasonable days following an outrageous binge will equal a moderate calorie total.

Walk planned. I am out of books. Finished the teen book Fault in Our Stars which was very good. But now what? I guess there are some magazines around here.

Gosford Girl: Never thought about poaching the chicken in the chicken broth. Does it make a big difference in the taste of the chicken? Super congrats being under 190.

BBE: Grapes and carrots have no calories obviously.

Lexxiss: I hear you. Sometimes the credit is to stop with further damaging behavior.

nationalparker: Go luck with the Colts. It is nice to have a day puttering and watching sports.

nuxmaga: Drat! Wasting calories on ho hum food. That is very demoralizing.

karenrn: I don't know if I had already mentioned the ten years I spent hiking in the Tucson Mountains when I visited my grandmother. Beautiful.

Last edited by maryann; 10-05-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Our trip was great. The highlight was an adventurous (Tube, 2 trains, a 2-mile walk along a canal and back) day trip to Crofton Pumping Station where we saw the oldest steam engine that is still doing the job it was designed to do. It was in full operation with a dedicated group of volunteers, including one woman, ready to answer all of our questions.

Since our return on Wednesday, I've been acting as if junk food and overeating fixes jet lag. It doesn't and I know this from previous experience.

Recovery is complicated because today I start my special pre-colonoscopy diet -- no whole grains or raw vegetables. I'm finding little willingness to improve things under those conditions. But, I am realizing that the last thing my colon needs this week is to be overtaxed by overeating, so I'm willing to do a few things:
  • write down a plan
  • record what I eat
  • post here
  • eat food from my own kitchen

Welcome, Mountain_Mamma! I love seeing you on this thread!

I'll aim to do more personals tomorrow. They help, too. I know this.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-05-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #34  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food and came in under goal - credit. Walked at a local park with DH - credit. Had coffee with a friend - credit for that but not the cookies I ate since they were so so. Finished recalibrating our budget - food is our biggest expense, since we enjoy eating out. But DH made dinner tonight in spite of feeling tired - credit for not ordering pizza.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,
Haven't posted in a while but wanted to share that I purchased the book The Beck's diet solution. Well, I will have to say everything that all my self sabotaging thoughts have said to me are in that book. Oh wow!
I have made out my Advantage Response Card and ya know as I was l filling it in, more and more thoughts came to mind and ended up on the card. So far, this is feeling like a healthy emotional cleanse..
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #36  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool ovah. done like dinnah.

Coaches

Quick check in. Landlord was here. The great inspection of 2014 consisted of a few questions about the place and that we would tell him if anything was wrong, right? We assured him and he didn't look anywhere. I mean nowhere. I sent him into the bathroom to look at the ceiling. So, our heat is now on. Sad. Sadder still, we need it on.

Foodwise I was op today but slipped up by taking a thoughtless bite of a fortune cookie ("You have an attractive aura", it said). I gave DH the other half as soon as I realized. I had fruit for dinner. OK. Moving on...
Old 10-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday night

Hi coaches

A quick check in - I made sensible choices this morning at breakfast so feel good about that. The rest of the day was on track and I have packed lunch for tomorrow. Weight is hovering a bit above ticker (irritatingly) - will have to tighten up tomorrow and see if that makes a difference

Welcome home Gardenerjoy - I hope you get back into the zone soon.

Onebyone - glad the inspection went well even though it was a big anticlimax

Maryann - poaching the chicken in the broth enriches the broth but does help the chicken as well,

I have to get going to finish work and get to bed - still out of whack and going to bed an hour early is confusing (you should see me when I do actually get jet lag!)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome carmie48

carmie48

And, in honor of your first month,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3fC?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, without rain but without sunshine. Good enough compromise instead of our prior week of constant rain or threat thereof. I've a terrible confession: I finished reading Love Story that came into my hands a few weeks ago. Just had to remember why it was such a big deal some 44 years ago. Amazon review by a 13 year old declaring it "a work of art" helped me to get perspective. I suspect that my inner 14-year-old liked the book because the hero fell in love in the first chapter and fell in bed in the second. My inner 14yo is single minded, LOL. For those over 13, I recommend Emily Bronte.

Snacks remain an issue, Ouch. I plan to make a concerted effort today to get them back in line. After dinner snack was clementines which, for some reason, I consider wimpy. They aren't oranges or apples or pears of any of the big guys. I'm ready for grapefruit.

onebyone – Yay for heat - Ouch for needing it. We're in the same boat. Congrats for organizing your life so that you would have passed an inspection even if it didn't happen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad your trip was such a success. I've had to add your steam engine to my bucket list. Hard to imagine a mechanical device working for 200 years. Wish they made my heating system, LOL. My take is that there is no sane approach to prep for colonoscopy. A touch of sherbet to wash down the very foods I spend my life trying to avoid seemed to help. Glad you're back.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Amazed that you grew your own purple potatoes. Once a year is a healthy frequency for steak.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Takes me a while to handle Daylight Savings transitions as well as jet lag. Kudos for starting your day with a good choice at breakfast.

maryann - 18 innings was one long game, says a man whose beloved Red Sox didn't quite make the playoffs this year. We were only six games behind second to last place in our Division - Ouch.

nationalparker – Yep, weekends should definitely have a third day. LOL at the assumption of canned beef stew. [I, too, hate the CFL light bulbs - mainly because they were advertised to last for 'years' and we barely get six months.]

Karen (karenrn) - So fun to be reminded how much I love the land of Arizona. Beer calories are a challenge.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - "So so" cookies are just the worst.

carmie48 - Love the thought, "like a healthy emotional cleanse." Kudos for charging forth with your Advantages Card. Would you care to share some of them with us? Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Below is what Rosa wrote on her Response Card:
When it seems unfair to me that I can't eat something,
acknowledge that I'm right. Then ask myself, Which
unfairness would I rather have: not being able to eat
this
or not losing weight? Then say, "Oh, well," and get
on with it.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 186.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-07-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Gramatical typo
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #40  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Good day yesterday. Credit for no beer and for staying very near 1200 calories. I didn't hike yesterday, so no extra exercise calories for me. I'll hike this morning for my 7 1/2 mile hill hike.

Maryann No I don't think you mentioned about your hiking in Tucson. I have only hiked down that way a couple of times, but it is very pretty. A good friend moved that way and I hope to visit and do some hiking, however she isn't a hiker.

Gardner Joy It sounds like your trip was fabulous and very interesting. Good luck getting back in the swing of things; and starting out with a colonoscopy, ooh boy. Jet lag is something else. I hate to say it, but the older I get the harder it gets.

Nuxmaga I love cookies, they are probably my favorite sweet, but darn what a waste of calories when they aren't really good. I'm trying to decide if I should bake this Christmas. It is the gift I usually give, but the gift I give myself of extra pounds just might not be worth it.

Carmie 48 Welcome or welcome back, I'm fairly new here!

Onebyone What a lot of stress and work for that little "inspection".

Gosford Girl Good for you for making sensible choices at breakfast. I'm afraid I would probably eat my calories for the day if I went out for breakfast.

Lexxis I was looking back on the procrastinator's thread and was reminded you finished a quilt. I haven't quilted in years, but still have some things. How long had it been for you? Was it hard to remember what to do? I was hoping to take a class to refresh myself.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #41  
Green Tomatoes

Apparently, I believe that I'm going to starve on the pre-colonoscopy diet. I've baked three loaves of bread with only white flour, made a bread pudding, a batch of frozen yogurt, and a huge pot of caponata (using up the production of my garden from when we were gone). I only have 4 days total of eating like this because the fifth day is a liquid diet. I've already started freezing some of the bread.

I just stopped myself from making a second bread pudding. Better to make it next week when I can mix some of this white bread with wheat bread and get a more nutritious batch.

Yesterday's willingness to have a few healthy guidelines in my life has led to more willingness today, so I'm adding to the list:
  • write down a plan
  • record what I eat
  • post here
  • eat food from my own kitchen
  • drink lots of water
  • eat only in my eating places
  • walk!

Nuxmaga: great credits! We got into the pizza thing just before and after our trip, so I'm pleased to take that credit as well.

carmie48: Credit for purchasing the book! It definitely has astounding insights.

onebyone: glad that the landlord inspection was underwhelming but sorry that it might not have given the satisfaction you were looking for. You did great things getting ready for it!

GosfordGirl: I have difficulty with the time change, too, so it's no wonder that I get thrown for such a loop coming back from Europe.

BillBlueEyes: The steam engine was a theme of our trip. We also liked the display at ThinkTank, the science museum in Birmingham, where many of the steam engines are running on compressed air so that we could see how all the parts move. And, at the Science Museum in London where the steam engines are arranged chronologically and have accompanying computer displays with animations.

karenrn: hope your hike is lovely today!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #42  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I wanted to wait until this evening to check in from home, while waiting for DH to get home, but now think I could use that time to get in a quick walk with the pooch on the trail. We headed out yesterday for a brisk, windy one, complete with Ruffaree shirt on dog (NFL Sunday, of course). Some goofiness is fun.

Had brief presentation before about 50 people this morning, and dressed in a form-fitting newer dress, to add a bit of confidence.

DH's aunt passed away and visitation is tomorrow, so I'll leave work a little early and we'll drive up north to that. I think that will prompt dinner out. One evening we'll go see Gone Girl.

Bill - I was grinning reading your book review, esp on Chapter 2. I never read the book, nor saw the movie, but loved the song. Now you'll have me reminiscing on books I loved as a young teen... And I forgot to comment on your nice PR description of where the BoSox finished haha!

OneByOne - Credits for getting the house prepped for the landlord visit, but wish that you received more credit from him for it.

Joy - WELCOME HOME! I hope you had wonderful experiences and returned with a longing to go back...always a sign of a trip well-loved. I never knew there were days of prep for a colonoscopy! I thought it was just the never-ending fluids that I hear about. GOOD LUCK.

KarenRN - A bit envious of your hiking, I must admit. And to your commitment to hiking. No hills around here, unless you're driving over interstate overpasses.

GosfordGirl - Your discussion on DST had me checking ours here and for the first time it seems, DH isn't working that weekend so he gets the add'l hour of sleep. We're a month out (nearly) and I'm already looking forward to that free hour. Ridiculous.

Carmie48 - Welcome to the crew! Any particular challenges facing you this week?

Maryann - Here's to a day of wise choices and a good rebound from the excess on Saturday - if only it'd been a nine-inning game So many triggers for me that I keep finding. Today, I was glancing around my desk for a snack. Soon after I got in to work. Will make a card and set it here to remind me that what I'm seeking is not here.

Nuxmaga - Eating a so-so treat is so frustrating; I'm right there with you on that. But many credits in your post - activity, eating at home, etc!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
wow, maybe I should start posting on the weekend. so many posts to catch up on, I feel guilty but its too much reply to it all now! I a reading them all with interest however and enjoy the details of everyones lives.
busy day at work so posting late. much better to be busy, I find I am less tempted to snack when I am running around.
Trying to incorporate more green tea into my life, as I keep reading about it. Does not taste great I have to say! maybe one of those blends would be better.
I like what nationalparker said earlier- something like, am I trying to lose weight or maintaining. I feel like I am only motivated to maintain right now, being sidetracked by baking muffins, and life I guess. Still, lost a couple pounds and am managing to keep them off.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Welcome

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck? And how did you find this Beck forum on 3FC?
Bill, thank you for that very nice welcome! I discovered Beck from you folks, through 3FC, after joining 3FC in May 2012 and going through the threads.
So I checked a couple of her books out of the library. I liked her universal appeal applicable to any plan. As someone else said, we know 'what we have to do.'
She helps with the how.

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 10-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
I had my morning coffee on both sides of the Continental Divide. We saw snow on both passes.
Lexxiss, Thanks for the welcome. So at the Continental Divide did your coffee swirl in different directions? At what altitude were you?

maryann Thank you for the welcome. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing , but belated congrats on the 27th 'anniversary'. What an accomplishment!

onebyone - Wow, 6+ weeks with no sugar. That is impressive! But that's one challenge I will NOT be joining! (I know better.) 8 boxes cleared - sure sounds like you're on a roll!

courtrhapsody, good luck on the calorie tracking.

NationalParker - re your hikes - I find hiking where there might be a black bear stressful. But Grizzlies? Oh my goodness! Sorry to hear about your ailing kitty, but congrats on the 1.5 lb loss!

Gosfordgirl - thanks for the welcome. And thanks for clearing up the air about raisins/sultanas/currants - & I thought currants were a different dried fruit entirely! I HATE the daylight time changes as well as being jet lagged.

Nuxmaga - Thank you for the welcome. Great you can stay on plan even with company bringing desserts. (3?!! of them?)

Karenrn, another hiker - great. Beer. The downfall of many. Oh well.

Gardenerjoy, Yay, you're back! We missed you. But sorry you have to come back to the yucky 'procedure' (euphemism the medical profession loves). Hope the jet lag goes away soon!

carmie48 - yeah, Beck nails those negative thoughts on the head, doesn't she? The one that always hits home for me is the red light comparison to completely derailing one's plan after one mishap. One cookie can lead me to complete diet chaos, so I loved her comment that just because you ran one red light by mistake doesn't mean you spend the rest of the day running red lights. Puts it into perspective.

Bill, thanks for posting the "unfair" quotes. Yesterday I was grumbling around hand-washing some delicates because my (cheap) one-speed washer mangles everything. Then remembered all the people around the world with NO washers, just a stream & some rocks. Now that is unfair! Sorry, I have nothing good to say about Love Story, unless you tell me the book was better than the movie!

Well, since I joined a little late, tried to get caught up on personals. Sorry if I forget anyone.

Have a good week everybody!

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 10-06-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Closed Thread