Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #226  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Credit for doing the strength-training routine in the green book. As might be expected, I found some too easy and some too hard. I want to make a form for myself to keep better track.

Supper was quick again yesterday but for the acceptable reason that I was rushing to get to an early meeting. Tonight will be a good time to experiment with slower eating of the evening meal.

Rushing off to my day. Thanks, coaches, for getting me off to a good start!

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +25 655/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

World Series was exciting. The avatar is the view from our unbelievable hotel room overlooking San Francisco Bay. The best part was one on one time with hubby. It gave me great joy to realize that I really enjoy my dh's company. This is important as we face DS growing older and away. Sad to leave yesterday. I wanted a few more days of the magic. Oh Well.

Food was best it has ever been when faced with world class cuisine and then world class stadium cuisine. I tried bites of things I ordered. If I didn't like them I threw them away. Only ate what was "worth" the calories. Came home on ticker which was a bonus. Also, walked lots and lots and my back is much better.

Speaking of ticker: It is now the end of the month AGAIN and I am still on maintenance. Meeting a goal of 1350 calories a day is illusive. I will continue to track. I know I can up my exercise if I am not willing to decrease my eating. I will have to concentrate on that.

curlypudge: "Going way off program" is exactly the time to post for me. It returns me to the "now" Most of my overeating is a vacation from reality which is something I can't afford. I want to live in this moment. I want to be able to enjoy my food and be accountable at the same time. This is dificult for me.

nationalparker: Welcome Home. Every hour of the day you can make a choice to stop the uphill climb. You did it before. You can do it again because now you have more tools.

onebyone: I am also struggling with eating that is completely maintenance. What will it take for me to be willing to eat to LOSE?

mountainmamma: Thanks for the reminder to let Halloween candy be for the kids. An old trick I am going to resurrect is "This isn't my food." I wouldn't steal someone else's money, why would I steal someone else's food.

silverbirch: I dread those juggling balls. I downloaded a new app called "TheWork" by Byron Katie. I ignore the cult-like self portrait on the avatar. I like the process of working through a single stressful question, looking at it from all angles. It gives me some comfort. The first question you must ask yourself about each stressful thought is "Who would I be without this thought?" That is important thinking for me.

Nuxmaga: You and gardenerjoy were both librarians I believe.

BBE: I like Sue Millar to but I just read The Arsonist and it went nowhere for me. Flipped the book to the last chapter to see "whodunit" and turned it back into the library.

Lexxiss: Congrats for responding with kindness to grumpiness.

Last edited by maryann; 10-28-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #228  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Off to a good start today. Just got back from 2 hours and 40 minutes of hiking, Bell Pass. Tomorrow I'm excited cause I'm going to hike the Peralta Trail in the Superstitions. I don't hike alone in the Superstitions cause there is usually no cell coverage. A friend who has a winter home nearby is here for a couple of weeks. She isn't a big hiker, but this will be a very pretty and not too difficult hike. Also, I met a new gal yesterday at my volunteer greeting duty. She is also a retired nurse who hikes. We're doing Bell Pass on Thursday.

Food was 318 calories over yesterday; imagine just about the 2 beers I shouldn't have had. I earned quite a few calories today and don't feel hungry (yet) so will try to keep it in check today.

I can't seem to get myself to the gym for strength training and was glad to see Gardener Joy mention about strength training in the Green Book. i don't think I ever read that far. I also have this sand bag/water bag system that I purchased and have never used. I am setting Monday as the start date to get that stuff out and give it a try. In the meantime I'm going to do planks a couple of times a day. I find that really helps my core.

Margaret That truly sucks about the health insurance. I have been on a major medical individual plan with Blue Cross since I retired. It costs far less than getting on my husband, but it is going away the end of the year, so I will go on his.

Lexxis I'm amazed by your schedule as well. It has been a lot of years since I have been quite that busy. I'm glad you have a break very soon.

Curly Pudge I saw the "Fed Up" video as well. I think for me sugar is addictive. Once I have sweets I feel I need to continue to eat them. I don't worry so much about the sugar in ketchup, salad dressing or that sort of thing, but I sure do better when I don't eat sweets. Glad you're back on track. I get back on track about every other day. I guess the important thing for me is not to get too far off track.

Onebyone Good for you for staying off sugar. That is quite impressive. How big was the big birthday last year? Mine are so big I can't quite believe it.

Bill Sounds like quite a chore getting the slate slab out of the trunk and in place in the yard. Isn't it nice that it's done though. Thanks for the titles of books. I read in spurts and I'm not in one right now, but I always like to have some new titles in mind.

One more thing. The back yard is off limits due to the stucco guys working back there. We've been taking Harley for walks down the street to do his business (bag in hand of course). He's just loving his walks. It's finally cool enough for him too. I think we'll have to continue since he seems to enjoy it so much. Pets bring such joy!

Have a great day everybody!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! thanks for the encouragement! posting quickly while I gobble down my fabulous salmon salad lunch. Did better yesterday- healthy food, planned snack -did have ice cream but I think it all balanced out- and I resisted that Halloween candy, day 2!
I tend to think I don't plan enough- but when I step back and think, I do plan most dinners for the week on sundays before grocery shopping for the week, I eat salad with some protein for 4/5 weekday lunches, and I usually eat egg, oatmeal or smoothie for breakfast, so I guess I actually do plan some things. So credit for that!
Silverbirch- I like your vivid imagery-"body fizzing"!
Gardenjoy- I will have to check out the strength training ideas in the green book, I forgot about those and I want to do that more routinely too.
Maryann- I like that thought- "who would I be without this thought". I have way too much negative thinking and approaching it differently could be a way to let some go.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #230  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

There were three priorities today: exercise, send off research report and go shopping for food. I’ve managed all except exercise. My back can feel it. Now I’ve cleared the decks we’re going to start painting tomorrow. Before I do that, though, I’ll fit in my exercises so I’m all loosened up and ready. Credit in advance!

Torrential rain when we went shopping. Mission accomplished without any mishaps. Credit! And now we have fruit and veg and other things to eat. Credit!

WI: down 0.75lb. Check in: YES. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Planned food: YES.

Karen, much better not to exhaust yourself baking! Interesting that some of the people you give the results of your baking to have their own weight struggles. They might appreciate not getting any this year. How good to meet a new hiking friend.

nationalparker, it's difficult to find anything that I think is suitable to eat when I'm travelling! Much of it is inedible, in my view.

nuxmaga, thank you for the research support! I think it's over now and I'm not going to work for this client again. How lovely glass mosaics sound.

onebyone, you are amazing with your sugar-free stretch! I'm so impressed. Your body will be thanking you from the bottom of your heart.

Bill, well done with the slate, from one who knows. I am avoiding moving any at the moment because I know it would not help my back's recovery. Stuffing something into one's mouth is just no good, I do agree. In fact, the image is horrible, isn't it? I don't think I want to be associated with that at all. I'll ponder that.

Debbie, you didn't take the bait with your DH. So good. That's experience helping you out there, I'm sure. I don't jump as often as I used to: it's just not worth it. Least said, soonest mended is right, I now think a lot of the time. I didn't use to be like that at all.

gardenerjoy, you've been rushing! So kudos for staying on plan. That's often when I don't.

maryann, you've been living it up. What a lovely picture. I'm so glad you had a great time.

curlypudge, now I'd like a fabulous salmon salad lunch and it's after 9 at night. When they are good, they can be very very good, can't they? I should organise one for myself one day when it's not raining or cold. Thanks for helping me to have this thought and credit to me for actually having it!

See you all tomorrow. Thanks for being here. You're turning into a wonderful anchor for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #231  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm baaaaaaaack

Hello from the way back machine

I was a regular on this group years ago. When I saw billblueeyes rembrandt, I got all verklempt. And I saw a familiar name right away - silverbirch. It makes me wonder why I was so afraid to return.

For those of you who remember me - I want to apologize if I worried you. I quit suddenly just because I was overwhelmed. I was at the end of my tether, and something had to give. About 2 years later I was diagnosed with bipolar. (Years of pain, etc. I wish I had been diagnosed sooner.

But my meds are doing their desired trick. I'm in the process of a divorce, but am managing that okay. I'm living in Cincinnati now, but I won't change my 'name' (ChinaMaine). Here on three fat chicks I'll always be ChinaMaine.

During the whole BP drama I gained all my weight back plus another 20 lbs. But once my meds started working, I started losing weight. For one thing when I was getting the right prescribed meds I didn't need to drink to feel normal.

Plus I focused on health again. And first thing was to go back to my Beck habits. I try to eat healthier and continue to reduce my drinking. And thanks to Beck, I've lost 50 lbs!! Only 25 more to go.

ChinaMaine

Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Just a quick check-in, very busy. Successfully avoided the H (you can supply the rest of the word, whatever word you want) candy for several nights but dived into the bag during a late afternoon sinking spell. Sigh. Three more days to go. At least did not do so much damage as to face the humiliation of having to return to store. Oh Well. Will try again tomorrow.

BBE, One of our kids actually wrote out an inventory of her Halloween candy haul. Arguments ensue years later as to whether this action was necessitated by actions of father, mother, or sibs. Kudos on the 100 lb slab but please don't hurt your back.

maryann - jealous of your room/view/World Series.

Waving to everyone - will catch up later.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #233  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Very busy day here - just now reaching a point to relax a bit. Cooking DH's dinner for tomorrow night - he'll leave for work before I get home. Vet appointment for one cat = oral surgery in two weeks = $$$.

Need to make a major marketing list and try to do that on the way home from work. I've got a few Halloween goodies to bake/make and bring into the office on Thursday and Friday. We'll see how they turn out.

Lunch tomorrow is with a friend who I've known for 10+ years and who is leaving here. We'll eat at the work cafe and I will order wisely. Slim pickens around here for something to bring in until the marketing run.

Hopped on the scale today and relieved to see 1+ pounds off after the trip. Hope that continues and will work toward that. MUCH easier here lately when DH is working nights, though. My portions are smaller and meals are smaller. Snacking, which is typically a temptation, hasn't been. Panic over weight gain > snacking desire

Folks' home sale closed today ... I asked my brother if it was bittersweet for him. He said the new owners are so nice that it was more sweet than bitter. What a wonderful thing to hear and feel. We've spoken a great deal the past few weeks - we've always been close, but I think are even closer.

Had a good cry tonight - I choked up when I was ringing off with him - thanked him for not letting us get out of touch and really hit again that this chapter was over, but we keep their memory alive in our conversations.

A bit of a lonely night, even with all pets around. Think I'll get off here and journal for a few minutes before calling it a night. Better note tomorrow.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-28-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Updated tickers - UPdated I should say. Bleh.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #234  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Took a walk - credit. Tracked calories - credit. Choir is lovely except for the weekly cookies as a fundraiser. Probably the sabotaging thought is "It is for a cause." I went 500 calories over, due to excessive cookies.

Still working on the health insurance, with a new broker who seems to know more, but Nov 1st is coming much too fast.

Got some blog writing done and studio time, plus packaged and mailed two house numbers. It takes a lot of energy to divert my anxiety into something productive rather than researching endlessly about health insurance.

BBE - it is useful for my weight that Nanaimo bars have stayed in Canada(where every bakery and grocery store has them.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #235  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, without a jacket just because I could this late in October. That assured that I'd walk swiftly; I've been known to dawdle even when trying to keep a cardio pace to the walk. I did stop in one store that I hadn't visited in a long time only to be confronted by stacks of Halloween candy which caused a rapid exit. Their candy corn looked appealing - a bad sign.

Food was OKish - partial CREDIT moi in an attempt to keep me from falling into a Sabotaging Thought to just throw in the towel because I'm not perfect. I spent time admiring the new location of the 100 pound slate under the bird bath. It looks like it's always been there - part of the design.

ChinaMaine - Waving back to "the way back machine." I peeked backwards to discover that you were last here when the Readers' Quote was the exact same page in the Pink Book as today's. That's pretty remarkable. And, you were rewarding yourself with a new kick scooter but memory fails me whether you got into using it. Sending supportive thoughts for the travails of your life these past four years. Super Kudos for getting back into Beck and putting away those 50 pounds. You're winning for sure. Are there any Loons in Cincinnati?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Your comment about some strength training exercise being too easy and some too hard reminded me why it would be useful to have a trainer every session. When the ship comes in, I'm signing up.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy trip "over the hill" today after your series of back-to-back work days. Hope you get some recovery time in the hot springs.

silverbirch – Smart thinking to do exercises to loosen up before painting.

maryann - Love the view of San Francisco Bay from your hotel and the Bay Bridge - your city does striking bridges. Glad to hear that you back is better. Ouch for having to face a seventh game tonight. [The Arsonist had the problem of feeling like a "whodunit" with a wimpy conclusion when it was actually a character study.]

nationalparker – Congrats to your brother for shepherding through the sale of your parents' home. Sending supportive thoughts as that forces you to continue to process their loss. Kudos for planning to order wisely at lunch today.

Karen (karenrn) - Your hiking reports continue to inspire me - what a choice place to live for someone who loves to hike. Kudos for only 318 calories over for the day.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Congrats for those two more house numbers into the mail. Demonic Sabotaging Thought this, "It is for a cause."

curlypudge - What's the secret of your "fabulous salmon salad?"

Mountain Mamma - Yep, only three days until Halloween is over. [LMAO that your kids made a written record of their stash. Mine not only spotted the stolen candy, but knew which parent had taken it since DW and I have different tastes.]

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've consulted:
Dieting is too hard.
I'm not going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't do.
I deserve to eat this.
I'll just eat these crumbs.
I should be able to do what I want.
I can't resist.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #236  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

You all sound like such a positive and interesting group! I just heard about the Beck Solution, but have not gotten the book yet. In a nutshell.....would love to hear what each of you considers to have had the biggest impact on you - which of her many positive messages really 'spoke' to you and has helped you the most? Look forward to 'lurking' for awhile, and will get the book.

Last edited by 3sisters; 10-29-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #237  
Green Tomatoes

I ate quickly all day yesterday, mostly because I felt rushed. I had things I needed to get back to. Predictably, I ended up with an inappropriate late afternoon snack because I wanted a break.

New response card: Eating slowly has an added benefit of giving me the breaks I need and deserve during my day.

Part of the problem is that I'm hopelessly behind on email and book reviews. I tried catching up on email yesterday and maybe did a quarter of the job. Still hopeless because I don't think I can make that much effort over the next three days. Sigh.

Credit for making time to exercise. Credit for cooking supper from scratch from what's still hanging around in my garden (tomatoes, eggplant, basil, parsley). Credit for checking in with my buddies.

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +35 690/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I'm glad the World Series experience worked so well for you.

karenrn: cool that Harley is giving you an excuse for some spontaneous exercise.

curlypudge: I agree you have a great plan. Dr. Oz talks about automating the meals before supper -- eating pretty much the same thing each day. It's a great way to have a plan without having to do a lot of planning.

silverbirch: Looks like you're ready to go on the painting project!

ChinaMaine: so great to see you here! I've thought about you often. I'm still using the one-line report that I stole from you. What a great accomplishment that you're 50 pounds down from you high.

Mountain_Mamma: Given your struggles, I'm determined not to open my Halloween candy until that night. I just bought it yesterday and shoved it into the back of the pantry.

nationalparker: good for you for working on processing the grief brought up by the sale of your parents home.

Nuxmaga: "It is for a cause" is even more enticing than "free food." I've got to the point where I'll throw money in the bin and skip the food. It makes me feel superior which is better than the food, even if it isn't the most enlightened way of being.

BillBlueEyes: Good job getting out of a store that sold the wrong sort of thing.

3sisters: welcome! For me, the biggest take-away has been that losing weight takes a skill set that I can learn and practice. I get better and it gets easier!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #238  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome, 3sisters! Hope to see you around here, feel free to join in and not lurk, if inclined The biggest impact for me was the "hunger is not an emergency" line of thinking. I will eat to avoid future hunger and that's not needed in my life. If I miss a meal, I will survive. So I'm trying to work that one, as well as the thoughts to say, Oh well and No Choice. I struggle more with giving myself credit for putting the good building blocks in place in my day.

Breakfast today was a smoothie, so OP so far today. Hard to get off track this early, I know, ha ha.

DH's company is now tentatively planning to shut down for a week and cut back 25% of their hours until the end of the year.

GardenerJoy - Credits to you for making plans and following through on steps needed to rebuild that successful foundation! I have sped up my eating to not be the slowest and that is a mistake.

Bill - Enjoy the last few days of semi-warmth (?) ... our temps are starting to drop down again and they're calling for 20s over the weekend overnight. I'm so not ready for that.

MountainMamma - Cracking UP over the written inventory of the Halloween Haul! That is hysterical. My mom used to have to convince me to throw it out at Christmas, and then throw Christmas candy out at Easter. I never ate it after Halloween night when I'd have a few favorites. It was open season for anyone who wanted it ... wish I had that mentality now

Maryann - Sounds like you completely aced the World Series outing. Great job. Never posted this but keep thinking about the audacity of those who were hauling away your nuts. That's just unimaginable, but apparently you have to deal with that often! How frustrating.

Lexxiss - Hope you get some time to b-r-e-a-t-h-e here soon!

Have a few Halloween baking projects I'd planned to tackle, but somehow I'm losing time in the evenings. One, the Pioneer Woman's cake eyeballs, looks so crazy, that I'm going to have to try to make them. Should have read more than the ingredients, as I realized they're more time-consuming than I thought. Will give them a go.

Someone at work passed out individual bags of Halloween candy a few minutes ago. NOW the temptation will be strong for me. ARGH. I can pass it up if it's in a communal bowl ... Need to keep the mindset that my desire to see the 159 and under range is stronger than a bag of yummy chocolate candy. I confess that I've opened it to see what the calories might be of different snacks. My first thought was to give them to DH, but he'd eat in one night, and would completely derail HIM.

Posting before I lose this...

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #239  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A day at home, with the theme of painting the sitting room. This also involved clearing the room as much as possible, dusting and hoovering and finding all the painting stuff. One step at a time. Definitely credit for doing it slowly!

Eating as per my plan is throwing up a few niggles. Lunch was not as written on my plan as the DB did not fancy it so we negotiated something else. I probably ate slightly too much but that’s a learning point. Credit for seeing it like that! And I must remember to put in a small amount of protein to eat immediately after weight training. It’s a bit out of synch with my mid-morning snack now I’m working out at home.

Things went completely out of shape after lunch. Exhaustion after weights workout, no protein and clearing the sitting room. Hard day yesterday catching up on me. Tried to rest but didn’t allow myself to fall asleep so it didn’t work. Staggered on, ate too much as mid-afternoon snack, did a bit of painting. Credit to both of us for getting started! Also ate before making the tea which I thought I was growing out of.

WI: no change. Check in: YES. Exercise: YES. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Planned food: YES.

ChinaMaine! How lovely to see you! Lost 50lbs? CREDIT where credit's due! I've only just returned here but it's as lovely as before.

Mountain Mamma, good luck!

nationalparker, best wishes for a peaceful evening tonight. You can always just throw that individual Halloween bag away. You have permission!

Nuxmaga, 'took a walk - credit' sounds just right to me.

Bill, I've just looked up 'candy corn'. For heaven's sake, man, have you seen the ingredients? Carnauba wax, anyone? Yum?

3sisters, post if you fancy it. You don't have to be regular or follow any pattern. It might help. I think I like 'only eat when sitting down'. I struggle with it, and I know others do too.

gardenerjoy, it's not a nice feeling having a mountain of 'paperwork' to do. I sympathise. Do a little and often?

until tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #240  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick note. Busy day today. Food on plan and within calories, credit.
Hiked the Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle with a friend who is new to hiking. It seemed more strenuous because it was warmer than when I go at just after 6 am and mostly in the sun. It was beautiful though, very green and even a couple of pools of water. So, credit for the exercise too.

My husband leaves tomorrow for a couple of days for a golf tournament, so more posting then.

Karen
Closed Thread