Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to Susanne and charvey!

Susanne - you still have to be somewhat mindful of calories, but to an extent, you can eat what you want of the induction food list till your full. Watch out for excess cheese and dairy, it can make people stall. You'll have to tinker with it to see if you are one of them. I'm not familiar with the newest Atkins, I'm doing DANDR. It says to stay away from nuts for the first two weeks then you can add them back, but too many of them can also make you stall. Otherwise what works for me is - meat, full fat foods, and approved veggies. I find I eat more veggies on this diet than on my normal one! Watch the carb content of your meat too. As smith said, a lot of processed luncheon meat has hidden sugars, as does bacon and sausage. I found a brand of bacon that doesn't so just watch labels.

What you will find too after two weeks is your appetite decreases, a lot which in turn means you don't eat as many calories. I also find a great many other benefits, mainly just generally feeling better.

As for weight loss, the first time I did low carb I lost 15 lbs the first two weeks alone, then it dropped off to a more reasonable 1-2 lbs a week with minor wooshes. The initial massive weight loss is due to glycogen stores being depleted which boils down to water weight really. That first time around I lost overall 40 lbs in three months and dropped three sizes, but I was religious about the diet and exercising. This time around, I've lost 4 lbs and haven't seen a drop since LOL. My initial two weeks ended yesterday. But I'm 15 years older and my hormones just hate me. Plus, the diet never works as well the second time around they say.

I'm learning a great deal of patience!

Grats on your progress Charvey!

Smith - I feel your pain with the cravings. Mine aren't around anymore, but for some reason I keep dreaming about bread and chocolate cake at night LOL.

Still no loss here for me, but I'm maintaining, so I'll be happy with that. It could be anything from too much salt to adding in the exercise. Shrugs. I'm going to keep on keeping on!

Not sure if anyone has ever tried them, but heroin chicken tenders are awesome! No, no illegal drugs on them, just parmesan cheese, but I understand now why the person named them that!
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 307/293/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Slowly but (hopefully) surely-

Good morning all-

This mornings stats-

307/290/165

Good luck to all-
julie1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 179/147/125

Height: 5"1'

Hi everyone!

Charvey-I'm also coming over from Atkins board

Susanne-I definitely recommend reading a book. I've read them all-lol. I find the original: Dr.Atkin's New Diet Revolution to be the most enthusiastic/motivating. I like the way the science is explained best in: A New Atkins for a New You and the easiest to read is not surprisingly, Atkins Made Easy (which has some great success stories in it). Aside from the weight loss, I enjoy being in ketosis: more energy, better moods, less joint pain etc...

Smith-although my cravings greatly diminish I do occasionally miss the "idea" of some foods. If I make the mistake of indulging I find that I get this odd "hollow" feeling in my stomach and it's never worth it. I just keep reminding myself of that...

Ficklehearts-I'm also not a fan of the aftertaste, same with the sugar alcohols though they do have a bit of a laxative effect which I sometimes need (TMI)

I'm doing well-trying not to weigh myself everyday which is a bit of a challenge. So now I'm sleeping with water next to my bed and drink it before heading to the bathroom (as I know I won't step on the scale after downing 16oz-lol)
JSK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #64  

JSK77 - yeah, that laxative effect is sometimes the only reason I eat them too. Then I feel bad because I feel like I just ruined everything so I started using magnesium citrate powder for that problem! Works okay so far.

Man, the humidity down here in sunny Florida is killing me on my evening walk. I'm ready for Fall!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 238.6/207.8/150

Height: 5"8

FickleHearts Thank you for the thorough response! My only question left would be how do you count the atkins snacks? Should you have one a day? Two a day? Or can you have none?

JSK77 Thank you for the warm welcome! I have ordered the book online the other day - I am excited to get it so I can get started!
SusanneXo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
JSK77 - yeah, that laxative effect is sometimes the only reason I eat them too. Then I feel bad because I feel like I just ruined everything so I started using magnesium citrate powder for that problem! Works okay so far.

Man, the humidity down here in sunny Florida is killing me on my evening walk. I'm ready for Fall!
I live in Florida, east coastal side, and the humidity last night when I walked was horrific.. My hubby and I walk about 4 miles each night, but this time of year I come in and I am a dish rag.. But all in all Florida is a great place to be for sure.
rpm3060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #67  

I personally don't eat the Atkins products, but I'd probably limit them to one a day at the most if I did. Some people can handle the artificial sweetners, some can't. I try to get most of my carbs from veggies, not always successful, but I do try. I'm still on the fence on whether or not it's the artificial sweets stalling me, mainly because I just don't want to give them up. They keep me sane! Of course the only ones I've had recently have been Splenda in my coffee and tea. Trying Swerve today and so far it's pretty good with no aftertaste and apparently its GI is 0.

I love Florida, born and raised! Ditto on the dish rag, not so crazy about the 100% humidity of late. Thank God for John Gorrie and A/C. (Which I proudly live in the town he invented it!)

Still nada on the scale. I however feel a whoosh coming on. I've been straight and narrow on the food and even plugged in calories which I was under. Something has to give sooner or later! At least I'm now officially maintaining the 233.

Yesterday
B-two srambled eggs in coconut oil, bacon, coffee with splenda and cream
L - skipped. Man, eggs for some reason just fill me up
D - taco salad and deviled eggs, the Taco salad just became DH's new favorite so I foresee it being a weekly staple.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #68  

For anyone in phase 2.... Any recommendations for a low carb flat bread, pita, tortilla. I have looked in every supermarket and no luck on the low carb. I also looked in health food store. They are very healthy but high in carbs .

Thanks
Dee
Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #69  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm3060 View Post
For anyone in phase 2.... Any recommendations for a low carb flat bread, pita, tortilla. I have looked in every supermarket and no luck on the low carb. I also looked in health food store. They are very healthy but high in carbs .

Thanks
Dee
rpm3060: I shop at Kroger and they carry the mission low carb soft tortillas only 6nc
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #70  
Sherry, Senior Member

So far I've gotten things going again, I started drinking green tea w/SF vanilla creamer in the afternoons at work, (1) cup a day and wow! my sister is doing atkins and she was stalled and she told me that the green tea is suppose to increase your metabolism and accelerate fat burn and I totally agree with her now. I've lost now a total of 6" from chest, waist and hips!!!

Ficklehearts:
I use splenda all the time and it doesn't effect my weight loss, I use 2 packets every morning in my coffee, then usually 2-3 a day in my unsweet tea. I also drink my atkins mocha latte shake w/real coffee every morning 7 days a week and have my atkins endulge caramel squares every evening Yum, love these! I eat maybe 3-4 times a week as a snack the emerald 100 calories walnut/almonds pak in the evening or afternoon. I also eat on occasion 10 green olives stuffed with pimentos.
Goodluck you will get your weight moving again, hang in there
Old 07-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 179/147/125

Height: 5"1'

FickleHearts- I'm also trying to steer clear of the Atkin's treats/snacks as I feel it triggers cravings for sweets (for me anyway). I also started magnesium and fiber supplements several days ago, so we shall see.

Skelley-I've got boxes and boxes of green tea just sitting in my cabinets-thanks for the reminder! Definitely worth at try.

Tomorrow is my weigh day so I'm trying to be a bit higher fat/lower carb as my rings are tight (probably from all that sodium in last night's teriyaki chicken)
JSK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #72  

rpm3060 I'm not moving to phase 2 anytime soon, but I do recommend Mama Lupe low carb tortillas. I used to get them on Amazon. I'm kinda addicted to Amazon LOL.

Skelley - I really like the Bigelow Green tea with blueberry and acai. Used to have a cup after coffee every morning. My coworker drank the last of it and I've haven't ordered anymore yet. I should get on that.

I'm giving it to the weekend to see if I drop anything before I attempt to go truly Splenda-less. The Swerve was pretty good in my coffee this morning. I wouldn't have issues switching it out really, other than the price. Egads!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #73  

I agree on the green tea.. I drink every day.. Love it iced in summer . Yesterday I made a large container of iced green tea and added 1 bag of the Celestial Seasonings Country Peach Passion Tea, caffeine free. This peach tea has no carbs, no sugar. I have growing spearmint.. Put a sprig in there and it was delightful.. The peach taste gives me the sweetness I may need.

As for the Atkins treats, it stops a craving for me immediately after eating, but every time I try, I gain weight... May try different ones and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #74  
Sherry, Senior Member

Wow, today I am wearing a pair of crop miss me jeans that I haven't worn now for a year!! Lost another 1/2" off waist and hips yahoo!!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #75  

Lost 1 lb this morning so here's hoping things are finally starting to move again. Still no change in my clothes although my BFF swears she can see some loss in my face.

Grats on the inches skelley! I'd much rather lose inches than lbs.

Good luck on weigh in today JSK!