Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #256  

Height: 5'3"

The kids are away for the night...sorta a gift from her dad as he paid for an extra night at the motel and they will enjoy the pool and other amenities. Should be fun for them. Dh went fishing after we came home from the gym so I'm alone til evening probably. Its a nice day, sunny but not too hot. I did my weekly cleaning in our bath and bedroom, then cleaned the vanity extra well in main bathroom, then cleaned out and organized one corner of the garage. So much needs to be done in there. Pulled out a few things for dh to make a decision on. I started the laundry while I was out there. Need to transfer it to the dryer now and after that I think I'll take a nap. Seems like I'm taking a lot more naps these days.

I have inserted a lot of naso-gastric tubes in my day, but so far have never had one except I had one put in very very temporary for a test done by an ENT doctor. Can't remember why now, but he was SO good at it...he talked to me all the way through the process and it was a very tiny tube, much smaller than feeding tubes I worked with. I've always been very scared of having tube left in after surgery but so far I have not experienced that. I was supposed to have one after my hernia surgery but because my stomach would not stay down they had to suture it in place and left me with a J-tube (abdominal) tube and bag for drainage. I had to go home with that and that scared me bad enough. I was always so afraid it would get accidentally pulled out, imagining it would hurt really bad...duh later when the doctor pulled it out it was nothing...no pain at all..I could have done it myself. Same thing with getting my chest tube removed...nothing like I'd imagine....funny how our fears are often so much worse than reality. Having the chest tube put IN (without anesthetic) sure wasn't fun though.

I'm fortunate that Benedryl and Tyl do not affect me that way unless I don't get ANY sleep..but usually I sleep at least a little after taking them and that takes care of any grogginess for me I guess. Even worse for me is taking a narcotic (like after surgery) and then not getting a chance to sleep it off for some reason...I get so nauseous! Hate that! But if I get enough sleep I'm fine.

I too don't like electronics or any toys at the table when we are eating. When we are babysitting, I remove them and tell them they can have them back after they eat and leave the table. When their parents are with us, often they have their phones out, but I still remove the kids toys and phones and the parents don't complain. However when their parents are eating with them (without us), they have their electronics out and they allow the kids to have theirs and they are all watching movies, or playing games and I don't say anything. It seems to be their family time. My dd does not allow this at family meal times so I know not all families do this but I suspect many do. Even she often is checking her phone but I can tell she tries not to. Even our older son always has his phone and plays games while eating with us. I put up with it because it's just us, and he's an adult, and so far he doesn't do that with others and children at the table. It's a whole different world now.

Nice family picture...nice looking people!

Well, I'm really needing that nap now...gonna check my laundry and then lay down. Hope you are all having a good Monday.

Last edited by maryea; 07-11-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, one time I had a tube inserted at a visit with a ENT. I guess they do that daily and they are very good at it. I woke up from surgery with my NG tubes so I don't know what it was like having them inserted, just that it was uncomfortable having them in there for days. But when you have surgery, you do what you have to do.

I have also had drainage tubes in my abdomen. I believe that the drainage tube was the reason I ended up with seromas after my last surgery. I remember once nurse told me that the drainage bulb was supposed to be deflated after they drained it each time, but some of the techs do it so fast that they don't make sure it's deflated. If it isn't, it won't suction the fluid from your abdomen properly. I remember I kept reminding the techs to deflate it, and they didn't like that. Finally, the doctor told me he was going to send me home a day early because I wasn't getting much fluid from the drainage tube. Looking back, I think the reason for that was because they weren't closing it properly. I should have spoken up and told the doctor that, but the nurses and aides hated this doctor because he was so picky, and he would have probably reprimanded them. I was only home 1 or 2 days when the first seroma opened up on my incision, and I ended up with 3 more.

When I had chest tubes removed they told me it was going to hurt, but it only hurt a little bit. When the doctor removed my drainage tube from my abdomen it hurt so bad my body actually levitated when he pulled it out. It didn't come all the way out, and he had to pull again. With the next surgery, I was anticipating him pulling it out and I braced for it, but that just made it worse. It's over in a matter of seconds, but it really hurt when he did it. Like I said, I don't think enough fluid was removed from my abdomen when they pulled the tubes, and that was part of my problem, but they would never admit to that.

I think parents allow their kids to play with their electronics because it keeps them occupied. But at the table, they should eat. My adult children have taken calls at the table, but like you said, they are adults and you can't be correcting them at this point.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #258  

Just got home...dh had an eye appt and I went with him this time in order to stop at the optical shop to check price for glasses for myself as one of my frames broke. If it isn't really important I generally don't go with him as he is kinda sensitive at times about losing independence, but we were both glad I went today because I was able to help provide some info they needed. I think I probably should go to all his appts as I'm amazed sometimes at things he will tell them...either he has forgotten or doesn't understand what they say, or maybe he just feels he should agree with them...sometimes I honestly am not sure. They will ask him whether he's had a symptom and he'll say no even though I know he has!

Carol - Sorry you had so much trouble with your tubes...perhaps I was just very fortunate. You really had a bad experience...hope you have no more of that. After my gall bladder I had a drainage bag of course in the hospital but didn't have to come home with that one. Your saying you reminded the staff about the deflation, reminded me of me when I had the chest tube in. As a nurse I was taught the drainage container was supposed to always be below the level of your chest but the staff (esp aides) were always raising and carrying it higher and I was always telling them not to do that. I think I offended some of them. I had taken care of patients with chest tubes but they sorta scared me...I guess I associated it with the last days of people's lives even though intellectually I knew that wasn't necessarily so. Overall that was a very scary time for me, but I learned a lot thru it.

Yes electronics are this generation of parents way to keep their kids quiet and entertained and it is way overdone with some. Some parents do limit the kids time on them. I think the worst is allowing them to watch the movies and games as long as they want at night and sleeping with the devices. Makes things easier on the parents though. Parenting done right is hard work.

My bs was over 200 this morning! I knew I was eating too much but was still surprised at that, so rewashed my hands at tried again and got about the same the second time. So I MUST get back to being more careful with my eating!

Well, need to get some thing done...want to do some things today that I tend to put off. Giving Halo her anti-flea med is one. We de-flea the yards but I still like to give her a monthly treatment too just in case. I keep a running list of things I don't often get too and do them on Tues if I can.

Glynne - How you doing today?

Sandy - Hope you are doing ok, working in your garden? Enjoy but do be careful.

Last edited by maryea; 07-12-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #259  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

The sunshine kind of came and went today.

Tried to figure out something for Maddie for breakfast. She wasn't in the mood for the usual stuff. She will go in spells ~ eat something for a while, then doesn't want that anymore. She finally decided to try some pancakes, but they didn't turn out very well. I think the Bisquick was past it's “best if used by” date. I got some new when I was out today ~ so will try again tomorrow.

People/friends are on my mind. One of my friend's husband is having testing done to know if he has some kind of bone marrow cancer. My sister has not been feeling well. She is always worrying about me ~ feels that my health things are more serious than hers, but it seems she is always sick. She will just get over one thing and then she gets something else. She never feels good it seems. She has fibromyalgia ~ I wonder if that lowers her immunity so that she can't fight off stuff.

I feel bad, one thing and another going on here ~ I haven't gotten a chance to call mom for a couple days. It makes me feel bad ~ Mom was always there for me and so I feel like I want to do this (call her every day) for her ~ even though she probably doesn't even remember if I call or not.

Mary ~ Has your son gotten any news about the houses they are looking at? It is sad sometimes how much time the kids spend on the electronics. I feel bad ~ I have disappointed myself and feel like I have let Sara down and not done so well for Maddie. I had hoped to not have Maddie spend so much time on the iPad when she is here this summer, but so many days, I just don't feel up to playing with her all day ~ I suggest things and she has no interest in doing those. You are exactly right Mary ~ parenting done right is hard work. Sara and I were talking about it last night ~ people fuss that kids don't go outside and play anymore like back in “the good old days”. But unless a parent or adult is right with them, it just isn't safe anymore. Here just in the last couple weeks ~ in a couple of our local grocery stores, there has been an incident where 3 men have been following women and their children around the store suspiciously ~ the mothers feel that these guys were working in a team and making plans to grab their kids. So, no wonder kids stay inside and don't play outside anymore.

Carol Sue ~ nice picture of your stepson, daughter-in-law and little grandson. Thank you for sharing. Wow, you really had a time with your various tubes and their removal. My C-pap is on a box at my bedside ~ they told me it has to be kept lower than the bed. If it isn't the water from that chamber will run up into the tube and the when the machine runs ~ blow in your face. I accidentally filled it a bit too full the other night and even thought it is placed lower like they told me, the water got in the tube and blew all over my face. Not a comfy feeling.

Sandy ~ hope all is well with you.

Guess I'd better get off and fix Steve's supper. You're probably wondering why so late (10 pm here now) but he keeps a different schedule. Being retired, you can do that LOL. He stays up until 2 am, so supper this late works out ok for him. He sleeps until about 10 or 11 am then.

Hope you all have a good rest.

Last edited by glynne; 07-13-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #260  

We went to the gym as usual this morning....there were a lot of people there so I had to skip some machines, but I used others and still got a good workout. After cardio, I worked on upper body. Dh doesn't like it when the parking lot is crowded because then he usually can't get disabled parking and has to walk almost a block sometimes, which can start his back hurting before he even gets in the gym. I told him just count the minutes walking back and forth as part of your cardio so you don't have to do quite so much inside. He also took the stairs this morning so told him to count that too. It's all exercise.

After I got home I started right in cleaning so I have the main bathroom weekly cleaned already, plus all daily work done (most done before gym) except haven't yet removed all dishes from dishwasher, but I often tend to do that as I use them and finish off at night whatever I don't get out earlier and load it again. That's one thing I sometimes do quickly though if I know someone is coming over. Otherwise I'm never that concerned about drop in guests because of my housekeeping system. These days we don't have many guests other than family anymore. We're more likely to have salesmen than actual guests..seems like something's wrong about that though.

Forgot to mention this yesterday...I did check about cost of glasses for me at the optical shop in dh's eye clinic...he got a good deal there himself, even better than the sales at the mall places...but not me! They want $459 just for the lenses and at least $100+ for the frames! I've never paid that much before and think I can find something cheaper at the mall...they are usually having sales. Because of my high index vision, I usually don't qualify for the regular sales but they usually work out some way of giving me a discount anyway.

We kinda goofed off yesterday...went to Costco for kleenex, and had lunch there. While I was there they were giving out samples of a new whey protein drink...forgot the brand but I tasted the vanilla and it was good! I remember it had 110 calories and I think about 4 gm carb. I forgot to check the fiber. I use milk chocolate BioTrust low carb but it is 150 calories and 8 gm carb I think. I don't use much of it though...only about 1/5 of the scoop in my mochas for a little extra protein so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. But I think I might go back and get the one at Costco for my vanilla one as I try to keep both on hand and last night I noticed my vanilla one was expired.
It was not as good tasting anyway. I find it hard to find good tasting protein powders that also meet my nutritional requirements. Just thought now that I also forgot to check what the sweet in the one I sampled...I don't want something that will upset my tummy.

Also finally got the flea med into Halo yesterday. So many more things on my to do list though. Didn't get my menus and grocery list made up so wasn't prepared to grocery shop today. If I shop on Tues or Wed I get 10% off but sometimes it just just doesn't happen.

Glynne - It is a difficult time to raise children in many ways. I'm glad I'm not doing it. It's so sad that children can't play outside on their own anymore...at least we have a large backyard where they can play fairly safe...I still check on them often as the fence in back is low. But in front, we have to be outside with them if their parents aren't here. I think we are stricter than the parents! At the same time there are those electronics to keep them busy which we didn't have. Mine watched Sesame Street and Uncle Rogers etc. and on Sat, cartoons, but now all you have to do is put in a video and they can watch movies. They can even watch movies in the car while traveling...boy I could have used that a time or two...instead we played who can see the red cars or brown cows...or whatever..anything to keep them busy...LOL We made a lot of memories though I wouldn't trade for anything...we used to sing a lot in the car. Even when I drove them around to places here locally, I used to sing and they often joined in. Sometimes I made up songs to sing. Sometimes they quarrelled of course...I remember my two oldest used to fight over the brown cows and the black cows they saw in the fields. It was like "I get all the brown cows, NO, I get all the brown cows!" What??? or over where they got to sit or one was touching the other or staring at the other...oh where was a good movie when I need it then? I'm sure we've all been through these things and even movies do not prevent it all but they do help so I understand why modern parents use them.

Steve is more on my schedule......however I rarely stay up that late anymore...I used to though...now I usually head for bed about 11 or 11:30, with the kids here I can't get on my computer once they are in bed so we've even been going to bed earlier some nights. At least one night a week it's closer to 12 as I take longer finishing up the kitchen. The last couple nights I've been decluttering the kitchen cupboards. Got rid of a lot of unneeded and expired stuff and looks much better now. Still more to do. I was planning on doing papers next but with limited use of my office this has worked out better.

As to the kids' house...they are now waiting on the appraisal. Once that's done if it's still agreeable, they should close. House buying is a big process anymore but is probably better for both sides I think.

Well, need to get some lunch and then onto other things. Sandy, hope things are going well with you. Continuing to pray for you and Nan, Lorraine.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #261  

We went to the gym as usual this morning....there were a lot of people there so I had to skip some machines, but I used others and still got a good workout. After cardio, I worked on upper body. Dh doesn't like it when the parking lot is crowded because then he usually can't get disabled parking and has to walk almost a block sometimes, which can start his back hurting before he even gets in the gym. I told him just count the minutes walking back and forth as part of your cardio so you don't have to do quite so much inside. He also took the stairs this morning so told him to count that too. It's all exercise.

After I got home I started right in cleaning so I have the main bathroom weekly cleaned already, plus all daily work done (most done before gym) except haven't yet removed all dishes from dishwasher, but I often tend to do that as I use them and finish off at night whatever I don't get out earlier and load it again. That's one thing I sometimes do quickly though if I know someone is coming over. Otherwise I'm never that concerned about drop in guests because of my housekeeping system. These days we don't have many guests other than family anymore. We're more likely to have salesmen than actual guests..seems like something's wrong about that though.

Forgot to mention this yesterday...I did check about cost of glasses for me at the optical shop in dh's eye clinic...he got a good deal there himself, even better than the sales at the mall places...but not me! They want $459 just for the lenses and at least $100+ for the frames! I've never paid that much before and think I can find something cheaper at the mall...they are usually having sales. Because of my high index vision, I usually don't qualify for the regular sales but they usually work out some way of giving me a discount anyway.

We kinda goofed off yesterday...went to Costco for kleenex, and had lunch there. While I was there they were giving out samples of a new whey protein drink...forgot the brand but I tasted the vanilla and it was good! I remember it had 110 calories and I think about 4 gm carb. I forgot to check the fiber. I use milk chocolate BioTrust low carb but it is 150 calories and 8 gm carb I think. I don't use much of it though...only about 1/5 of the scoop in my mochas for a little extra protein so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. But I think I might go back and get the one at Costco for my vanilla one as I try to keep both on hand and last night I noticed my vanilla one was expired.
It was not as good tasting anyway. I find it hard to find good tasting protein powders that also meet my nutritional requirements. Just thought now that I also forgot to check what the sweet in the one I sampled...I don't want something that will upset my tummy.

Also finally got the flea med into Halo yesterday. So many more things on my to do list though. Didn't get my menus and grocery list made up so wasn't prepared to grocery shop today. If I shop on Tues or Wed I get 10% off but sometimes it just just doesn't happen.

Glynne - It is a difficult time to raise children in many ways. I'm glad I'm not doing it. It's so sad that children can't play outside on their own anymore...at least we have a large backyard where they can play fairly safe...I still check on them often as the fence in back is low. But in front, we have to be outside with them if their parents aren't here. I think we are stricter than the parents! At the same time there are those electronics to keep them busy which we didn't have. Mine watched Sesame Street and Uncle Rogers etc. and on Sat, cartoons, but now all you have to do is put in a video and they can watch movies. They can even watch movies in the car while traveling...boy I could have used that a time or two...instead we played who can see the red cars or brown cows...or whatever..anything to keep them busy...LOL We made a lot of memories though I wouldn't trade for anything...we used to sing a lot in the car. Even when I drove them around to places here locally, I used to sing and they often joined in. Sometimes I made up songs to sing. Sometimes they quarrelled of course...I remember my two oldest used to fight over the brown cows and the black cows they saw in the fields. It was like "I get all the brown cows, NO, I get all the brown cows!" What??? or over where they got to sit or one was touching the other or staring at the other...oh where was a good movie when I need it then? I'm sure we've all been through these things and even movies do not prevent it all but they do help so I understand why modern parents use them.

Steve is more on my schedule......however I rarely stay up that late anymore...I used to though...now I usually head for bed about 11 or 11:30, with the kids here I can't get on my computer once they are in bed so we've even been going to bed earlier some nights. At least one night a week it's closer to 12 as I take longer finishing up the kitchen. The last couple nights I've been decluttering the kitchen cupboards. Got rid of a lot of unneeded and expired stuff and looks much better now. Still more to do. I was planning on doing papers next but with limited use of my office this has worked out better.

As to the kids' house...they are now waiting on the appraisal. Once that's done if it's still agreeable, they should close. House buying is a big process anymore but is probably better for both sides I think.

Well, need to get some lunch and then onto other things. Sandy, hope things are going well with you. Continuing to pray for you and Nan, Lorraine.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #262  

Mary, I wonder why your post posted twice? The time on them was about 40 minutes apart.

I need to get myself to the eye doctor. I haven't been there for years. I didn't like the last one I went to. Then I went to an opthomoligist and was diagnosed with a hole in my macula. I chose not to have that repaired. I want to make an appointment with the opthomoligist my brother-in-law went to but haven't gotten around to making the appointment. I seem to spend so much time at the heart doctor's and I'm just tired of doctors and tests. It seems that I go and they find something wrong. I would like to go and have them tell me everything is fine. It seems that every visit turns into a series of visits.

Gayle, my machine is higher than the bed and I don't have trouble with the water. I know it should not be higher, but that's the way DH rigged it up for me and I have no other way to do it. Mostly I have to just accept the way he does things or his feelings get hurt and he refused to do anything for a while. Big baby. LOL

He is that way with other things, too. He will help fold clothes, but he puts his away and leaves my sitting on the bed. When I fold clothes, I put all of them away. He says he doesn't know where mine go. Well, open a drawer and look! How hard is that? But I can't complain, or he will never help again.

When he helps with laundry, he will only use hot water and a hot dryer. Even if I tell him, not to put my tops in hot water or a hot dryer. In fact, one time I had my clothes drying on low and I think he went in and turned it to hot. He says he didn't, but I don't think I turned it on hot. He says the dryer runs too long on low.

Ok, so now I'm done bashing my husband. LOL

I sometimes go to be very early because after 8 o'clock DH takes over the TV. We don't like the same shows, plus he flips channels, so I go into the bedroom to watch TV, then I fall asleep. I get up very early, between 6-7 AM, and he sleeps til 9 or 10. The morning hours are when I do my computer time or read.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #263  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue Having special free time to use the computer is such a blessing. I just putter after years of using the computer to type for engineers. Feels good to come here or go to put jigsaw puzzles together, or check facebook for pictures of family and friends. My DIL puts so many things on, but not much about family. She must surf the net a lot. Right now she needs prayers for intense hip pain that Dr isn't sure what to do next.

Mary You mentioned certain shopping days with big discount. Wish we had that around here. I have to find a substitute for 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM on Fridays each week for our Adoration Chapel. I asked DH if we could go for that hour then catch Krogers on way home. They offer double fuel points on Fri, Sat and Sundays. Problem is that when I went to use my fuel points yesterday, I filled up after using 7 cents off per gallon and felt great util I went closer to home and saw a place that already offered lower price on gas. Felt angry, then realized at least I had gas and let it go.

Gayle Your schedule with our husband and crazzy supper hours reminded me of our lives when kids were here. DH worked 25 miles away and with horrible traffic, he found it easier to simply work later till traffic became less. However, the kids need fed several hours earlier. I fixed more food when he got home but don't remember being upset by it. Being retired now and DH doing the cooking makes it really easy now. At times I'm the one coming home late and I can eat left overs with pleasure.

Garden is lovely BUT the Day lilies that usually bloom up to early August are not going to make it that long. They bloomed earlier (and we enjoyed them) but I prefer them to be spread out for our enjoyment. Also while they bloomed we were gone too much of the time. Today is in the 90's and I refused to walk even tho I got up early. Feels good to be in the air conditioning and simply getting housework done. Early this week I walked 2 of the 3 days very early and it wasn't too bad outside. Did have to take shower before I went to Bible Class yesterday.

Reading today training on the Bible by one of the top theologians of my time. It is slow reading, but I love to study so I was happy for 4 hours this morning. Now reading another book as laundry is doing itself. Still feel blessed that automatic washer and dryer does so much after helping Mom wash clothes, carry them up from basement and then down two flights of stairs to lower ground where the clothes lines were. Later in evening, I brought up all the clothes and put them away. Next day I ironed. I've never found laundry a chore, but do appreciate how simple it is now!!! Remember the frozen clothes in winter on the clothes line and how stiff they were.

While reading in the Living room that I share with DD who has her studio in window half, I looked at the shelves across the room and saw enough dust to almost need a dust pan to clean up. I know I simply forgot to clean them in past week or so, but she also does some sanding in that room and it goes every where. Not with a machine, but by hand. Tomorrow I'll definitely tackle that while she is out taking her walk.

DH is at wits end trying to find what to do with his time in retirement. Feel sorry for him, but I've always had so many things I wanted to do and so little time to do them, that I'm not very sympathetic when he said "I don't know what do do with myself." Boy, I do, just give me the chance!!!

Sandy
Old 07-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #264  

Dh is fishing again today and I stayed in bed until almost a little after ten. It's going to be a warm day...think supposed to get to 80 so I really should have gotten up and out of the house earlier. I need to buy groceries today. Kinda achy today but will take some Tyl if necessary before I leave. Also want to clean my office and the hall...that's pretty easy so shouldn't take long to do before I leave. It is kinda hard to get it done though because the kids are still in here, in fact they just finally got out of bed. They play with their electronics in bed til late most mornings. I barged in to do my budgeting and answer messages etc. I have to order some OTC products after this and then I'm done with my computer for this morning.

Sandy - Yes 10% off groceries is significant I think! Really helps. Sorry I missed it this week. We get it on two days only because we are both military (dh) and seniors. For fuel, we get the best price at Costco most of the time and since we are there at least once or twice a month it works out well for us. Since we don't work we don't use a lot of fuel when we are home. My dh enjoys cooking but I think his back bothers him too much as he rarely asks to cook now. Last night however I asked him if he'd like to make the chicken fried rice...he likes it with a lot more garlic than I use so know he likes to cook it his way sometimes. I had a salad with leftover adobo chicken on top instead of the rice. Sandy I realize everyone is different, but dh and I cannot imagine not having enough to do in retirement! We feel like we are busier in some ways than ever...I don't know how we managed to work and do everything we did in our younger years now be cause we feel we keep very busy now.

I can imagine the dust that sanding would cause! Good thing you have hard floors (I think?)! You must be very patient to put up with that but I know how precious it is to have our adult children around too. I put up with a lot just for their presence.

Yesterday I got a quick sweeping done in our garage but no de-cluttering. That garage is SO dirty but I only did what I could easily reach...too much to move to get the rest. I also did a quick clean up under the kitchen sink, another place that is usually a mess. I skipped cleaning under the main bathroom vanity this month because of our visitors stuff in their. It can wait until they leave. I am also skipping going through my bathtowels to see if any need tossing (rags or Halo) because right now we need every towel we can find!

Carol - I don't know why my post was duplicated! I edited it so maybe it happened then but don't remember what time that was and it shouldn't have duplicated the whole post. I usually have to edit something. I don't mind doing laundry...it's always been one of my favorite tasks in fact, but I have to admit I don't put away all my dh's clothes. I did when he was working but he's has the time now and he is rather picky about where and how they are stored so I leave his pants, outer tees, and button down shirts, sweaters to him I do put away his underwear and socks. On the rare occasion he takes care of the laundry, he folds but does not usually put away my clothes, and that is fine with me as I have my own peculiarities. We are creatures of habit I guess. There is so little on TV right now that is not reruns that I do not watch much now and think that is another reason we have been going to bed earlier. Dh headed back to bed about 10 and I think by the time I finished the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen it was after 11. Dh was up early to go fishing but gosh, I was in bed (well up and down) for almost 12 hrs!

It is always interesting to see how our lives are the same and how they differ and I always look forward to hearing from each of you. Praying for you and Nan, Lorraine! Take care.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #265  

Dh had a field test this morning so I went to the gym on my own. I did the arm bike 6 min, then stationery/recumbent bike 24 min to get my 30 min of cardio. Then did my usual three machines...this time worked my tricips, arms/shoulders, and back/abd. I decided I wasn't ready to go home so I went shopping for some organizer things, ended up getting a medium size basket at Michaels, it is a pretty blue and will be for holding snack items...when it's just us, it will be mostly saltine crackers and occasionally chips, but right now there is also graham crackers as kids like them. If we don't have enough snacksI may also use it for processed foods dh likes to make for his lunches or on pantry night too like those Asian cup o soups etc. Or I might end up using it for something entirely different like ziplock bags and paper products. I seem to have a lot of those and they get to be pretty messy when someone is looking for the right one/size. However I use it I think it will be helpful. My pantry will look different when the kids leave...right now it's a mess cause I have to buy more plus the kids have some of their things in there too and now and then they buy more.

I also tried on some cute tops...but they didn't look cute on me. The two that looked the best had weird drying requirements and I don't want to bother with that. It's bad enough I have to hang dry my Lularoe. My belly is looking SO big these days even though my weight hasn't really changed...seems like my legs look skinny below it. makes it very difficult to look good in clothes.

All Ive done here at home today is daily clean the bathrooms and make our bed and I made cornbread (from a mix) and heated up some canned chili. The adults liked it. The kids didn't eat. My son is playing soccer (co team) so they are gone now. I'm still doing laundry...have one load ready to fold, one in dryer and one to still put in washer. Then late tonight I will sweep and mop the kitchen/dining room floor. I bought a new pail to use for mopping...it's very nice and light. I also bought dh one of those little benches that you can kneel on and then flip it the other way to sit on it when gardening. Think it might make it easier for him and perhaps me too. My arthritis has really been bothering me the last few days.

Speaking of gardening...we have a strange plant growing quickly in our front yard near other flowers. We did not plant it and it looks very much like a corn stalk...right now it's about 2 ft tall...we have flowers spring up in different places, blown by the wind but a cornstalk is a first! Of course I'm not sure that's what it is. Anyone ever have a cornstalk suddenly appear?
Dh said that our potatoes are doing nicely...look forward to them, so hope they are good. We don't usually plant potatoes but I had some in the pantry that had overgrown so talked dh into it. He is not a big potato eater but they are one of my favorite foods!

Hope you are all having a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 07-15-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #266  

Guess I'm the only one posting these days! Maybe I need to get a life Dh and our son took a trailer load of yard debris and some other junk to a nearby school for dumpster day. They only pay a $5 donation. It was good to get rid of a few things that were taking up space in our garage.

So far all I've done today is daily stuff and I folded yesterday's laundry, then went through the sock bag and paired up a few socks. Last night I got the kitchen floor mopped. I have one more load in the dryer..probably ready to fold by now.

My son is asking for my mac and cheese, but I have some steak I need to fix first. Think I'll make beef and broccoli stir-fry with rice tonight.

Not much going on here...hope you are all enjoying the weekend.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #267  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary The birds must have donated the corn for your garden. Years ago my youngest daughter wanted a Day Lily for their garden. I divided her favorite, planted it in a pot and she kept forgetting to take it to their home. Finally in the spring I was tired watering the pot, so I drove to their place and delivered the pot while they were at work. A few weeks later she called excited that the Day Lily is growing!!!. Called back and said her hubby said that is CORN, and he knows corn for the large amount he helped take care of growing up. She wanted me to check it out. Sure enough, she had corn but the Day Lily came along later. That stuff grows fast.

What makes your Mac and cheese so special? I felt hungry for it when I read that.

We just got back from another nursery and have the most beautiful Gerber Daisies!!! One is white and the other a gold. I'll put them in larger pots and just place them in the empty spots in front of garden where I can easily water them, and we can see them from Patio. Soon the Day Lilies will be thru their beautiful bloom, and that entire North Fence will have great foilage in many colors, but few blooms.

Walked this morning before it got hot and am so glad I did. Pictures of the gardens for records, bit of weeding, etc. See some poison Ivy to tackle when I have protective clothes on. Also, a varmint has dug another hole around my precious Lenten Rose and I shall move it tonight to a better place!!!

Glad this busy week is over. I've been home only one day in over a week and my ironing is high, with an iron that doesn't iron very well. Another issue. Thank goodness lots of my clothes are knit and take little ironing, and DH's are all iron free!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #268  

Hi everyone. I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted. Couple days. I really don't have much to say. DH weed whacked the hill, and now has a terrible itchy rash all over him. It seems worse than poison ivy, maybe poison oak or sumac. I think he should go to the doctor for a shot or antibiotic, but he is just buying everything over the counter to try to get rid of it. He's had this for several days. So now he sprayed the hill with something to kill everything. He says he's never going to weed whack that hill again. If we had moved to the other house that I wanted to move to, there would have been no hill. LOL

Sandy, I rarely iron anymore. Most of our clothes come out of the dryer wrinkle free, but a few of my tops need touched up. I don't wear those very often and I should probably donate them. If I am going somewhere special, I will touch up my clothes with the iron, as they get wrinkled from being crushed in the closet. I don't care if my every day clothes have a wrinkle here or there.

One time when I split my lilies, I potted some and took them to work for anyone who wanted them. I told them that over the winter they would go down to the ground and look like they were gone, but would shoot back up in the spring. One woman told me that they had a patio put in and she forgot the lily was there so it's gone. My son-in-law did the same thing when he put in his driveway. It meant a lot to me to give them a plant that has been from my yard, but I guess it didn't mean that much to them. One year I brought home a piece of a plant that was growing at our cabin. I planted it in my yard, and gave a piece to my step-son for his yard. He since sold the house. I told him to dig up the plant and move it to his new home, but he said the guy who bought the house will expect all the plants to stay there. So I have given up trying to give my plants to other people. There is one friend I gave some to whom I know still has them in her yard. I hate to just pull them out and have them die, but they do have to be cut back from time to time.

I also figured out why the hosta out back is no longer growing around the bird house pole. The pole got rotted and DH replaced it, but didn't put it back in the exact same spot. So now it looks stupid, that the hosta is actually growing behind it. I am probably the only person who notices it. LOL

Mary, my belly is very big, too. I hate it, but am not doing anything about it. They say belly fat is the easiest to lose. I don't see my belly very often, but one day this week when I got out of the shower I happened to look in the mirror. It's like I have a whole person in front of me. LOL If I could just cut that all off the front I wouldn't look so big. The rest of me is relatively thin, like you. I remember my mother was like this, too. I guess it's a family trait, that when we gain weight it all goes to our belly. I want to get back into some of my pants that have a waistband instead of all the elastic waists, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-17-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:58 AM   #269  

Good morning ladies. What a nice supportive bunch you are. I look forward to getting to know you!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #270  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Welcome Pamela ~ we look forward to getting to know you too.

Hello Mary and Carol Sue. No time this morning to write more. (Maybe lucky for you all ~ not to have to read one of my long sagas ~ LOL). Hope all is well with you two.

Thinking of you Karrine ~ wondering how Nan is doing. Prayers continue.

Take care all
Closed Thread