Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today I talked to the insurance company and it seems that everything I think they might do will be covered. She told me what requires a prior authorization, and told me if the doctor forgets to get the authorization that's on him, and I should not pay for it. I had been told that before. I would think that the doctor would know what requires an authorization. If they tell me they want to do any of those things I will remind them that it requires an authorization.

Sandy, I agree that it's ridiculous to have so much trouble getting what you need, and things they want you to have. So many people need a CPAP but won't use it because it's uncomfortable. A lot has to do with the mask you get. Mine is less intrusive. I think my step-son wouldn't have given up on it if he had tried a different mask. He just sent it back.

DH likes his steak very well done. I quit eating steak for a while because of that. Now I know to start his sooner and put mine on when his is half way done. If he's cooking, I get it well done no matter what I want! LOL

Mary, I would not change my ways because someone was calling me, either. I did change my ways when I was going to Weight Watchers, though. Going to the meeting did help me stay on track. It was just too much money. I got to thinking that I was paying $45 per month to have someone weigh me once a week. LOL If I try to do it at home I can't stick to it.

Mary, it seems to me that your refrigerator is new enough that the cracks in the shelves should be covered by the manufacturers warranty. They seem that they would be manufacture's defects. The shelves should not crack. I am always afraid around Thanksgiving when I put a heavy turkey in the refrigerator to defrost but DH says the shelves should not crack.

I did well with my food today and hope to see a drop on the scale tomorrow. I've been up a couple pounds lately.

Gayle, is Maddie back at your house now?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #242  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Woke up early ~ couldn't go back to sleep, had stuff to do, so just got up. I needed to get my papers in order for a doctor's appointment today. I was too tired to do it last night, so guess maybe it was good I woke up early this morning. I hate when I feel rushed.

I feel tired already this morning ~ sigh..... I think it is because there is a lot of emotionally draining family stuff going on. This too shall pass????? Praying for better times.

Carol Sue ~ you would think the doctors would know about the prior authorization stuff, but sometimes I have found that ~ they don't know all the stuff about the insurances ~ their office staff sometimes know more about that stuff than the doctor does. I understand how you feel about your C-pap. I feel the same way. I have gotten so used to it, I don't sleep as well without it ~ and on occasion when I have fallen asleep without it, I feel like I have a sore throat when I wake up. My mouth gets dry with it (even though it is humidified), but when I sleep without it ~ I guess because I am a mouth breather ~ it gets dry way down my throat. They say that if I lose enough weight, I wouldn't have to use it anymore. But, I feel like even if I shouldn't “need” it anymore, I'm not sure I could sleep without it because I am so used to it. You are right about the mask. I went through about 4 different ones before I finally found one that worked for me. But that is frustrating too ~ because they charge such a high price for the stuff ~ and if you get one and it doesn't work, then you are out a big chunk of money. I guess I was having so much trouble sleeping ~ and felt so crummy, that I kept on with it because I wanted to feel better.

Sandy ~ glad you had a nice visit with the lady from your church. Hope the rain you got was just the right amount to help with your plants ~ not too much, but just right. Yes, it was nice to have a few days when I could work on things I needed to. Maddie is looking forward to school starting. I'm glad she is looking forward to it. I think it will be better maybe for all of us ~ we will still have her after school and can enjoy that time with her, but she won't be stuck with us all day long, and will get to be around kids which (even though she likes being with us ~ well most of the time she needs to be around kids her age and do kid stuff.

Mary ~ sorry you are feeling tired. Hope you can get some rest in there somewhere. I had from my insurance one time ~ similar to you ~ a kind of wellness coach person who called and we talked about my eating and exercise ~ it didn't make much difference in the way I did things either. I don't know what the answer is. My sister thinks when we are together, that we will help each other. I start out with good intentions, but she buys some treats even though I tell her I'm trying not to do that ~ and so it begins ~ one thing leads to another. Oh well ~ I try to just take it one day at a time and with that day, try to do the best I can. If I mess up, not beat myself up, but get back to doing right as soon as I can and keep trying. I figure the more times I do the right thing is less times that I am doing the wrong thing ~ seems that that has eventually gotta help.

Hope Karrine and Nan are doing ok.

Headed out to the doctor soon (sleep dr C-pap check and all).

Hope you all are having a good day.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #243  

Height: 5'3"

Good morning! I hope to be out of the house soon ...have to shop for my gd's birthday party (Sat) plus need to get my hair cut. So far I've done the most essential daily stuff here at home and will wait until late tonight to mop the kitchen floor, oh, and today's my day to declutter the wraps, baggies etc. Dh went fishing today.

The kids had to go to their house inspection tomorrow so I babysat. It seemed to go very well but it took three hours! I was tired when she left and dreaded babysitting but the kids were pretty good. Stayed in their room watching movies, the little one fell asleep for a while, and later they played outside. They got hungry so I gave them rice (that's all they would eat of what I prepared). I made barbecue chicken fried rice and stir-fry broccoli for us. I think they have bought a very nice house. But there is still the appraisal before the closing. Be glad when it is settled so we know for sure they got the house. I look forward to cleaning my carpets.

My oldest son has been diagnosed with sleep apnea and has a C-pap but it rarely uses it. He says it bothers him and he takes it off. His previous gf said she would notice him stopping breathing and would awaken him. I hope his current gf does.

My weight has only been 1# above my sig weight now for two days. I think a lot of it depends on how much sodium I get. Tonight is pizza night and I plan to have a big salad and only one slice of pizza. I agree with you Glynne, I don't beat myself up over it and I just keep trying and work on developing new habits. At least my bs is much better now due to the med and I do try to watch how many carbs I'm getting although I still haven't gotten back to tracking them exactly.

Sandy - Glad you are enjoyed the class so much. I personally feel our country these days could use more fear of the Lord!

Well, off to get ready to go out...

Last edited by maryea; 07-07-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #244  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary: Sure hope your son is able to find a sleep apnea device that he can get used to. Occassionally DH would seem to stop breathing, but only perhaps once a week or so so we ignore that. He sleeps beside me and I don't sleep as much as he does so I notice.

Gayle, hope the Doctor is able to help you and Insurance will kick in and really make a difference.

Carol Sue: I agree that paying Weight Watchers or such places to weigh me once a week I refuse to do. I live so far from such places that I'd have to also add gas, and hope I had access to a car to go. Tried ON line such as this one, but I'm stuck. Eating healthier, digestive system is in good shape, but exercise is literally a pain in the neck.

As we talk about others helping us in the habits that are supposed to help us, I recognize that sometimes I simply wish my family would STOP telling me what to do. I really, really resent it. Even when told that they are worried about me, I'm sick of hearing "I wish you would exercise more." or "I wish you would get that weight off" or. You need to get some exercise. or You need to lose weight.

I'm not eating all the stuff they do that would really cause me to gain weight. I'm eating healthy 95% of time and trying to limit the time sitting, but am using calories biting my tongue to keep from saying?

Leave me alone!!!

Rain, Still more. Our cucumbers have moved across the garden, climbed 4 feet up the fence yet very, very few cucumbers. I have 3 vines so surely I have "cross pollination"

Every time I start out to take a walk, it rains. We have been saved from flooding, but the rain is very, very discouraging.

HOWEVER, I'm really, really enjoying reading lots of books! Have completed a 12 lesson CD that I borrowed. Have Laundry caught up and finances, too. I am being possitive.

Last edited by love2garden; 07-07-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #245  

Well, I have to do another sleep study. He said the home test is for diagnosis, but I need a repeat for titration because it's been so long since I've had it done. The only good thing is the doctor thinks I can get a new machine, and he says the new ones are much better. I don't go until August 22. This place will let you bring a mask home and try it out for 2 weeks and if you don't like it you can return it and try a different one. I like mine because it doesn't cover your face, just goes against your nostrils. I am going to try a newer one that is the same style because I think the one I use is being discontinued. It's really worn out and we had to put tape on the hose because it's leaking. The woman at insurance told me that I have to pay 20% of the cost, which is better than paying for the whole thing.

Mary, the first year that I had my CPAP, insurance called me periodically and I had to read numbers off the machine that proved that I was using it. If I wasn't using it, I would have had to pay for it myself. When my son got his, he had 30 days to try it out but had to return it because he couldn't get used to it. I know someone else who got one and they never checked to see if they were using it. So it's unusual that you son can have that machine and not use it. His sleep apnea might not be as bad as mine because I would hate to try to sleep without it. Sometimes I fall asleep in my recliner and I keep waking myself up because I stop breathing, then I gasp for air.

Gayle, I was thinking about something I wanted to ask you and it's probably a stupid question, but do you have a furnace in your house? Does it get cold enough in Texas in the winter to need a furnace? It's funny the things we think about and don't know about other parts of the country.

Sandy, I know what you mean about other people telling you what to do. Actually, the more they bug you about it the less likely you are to do it. DH used to really nag me about my weight and I hated it. He no longer does that. I don't know what made him stop, but I'm glad he did. I know I need to exercise more, and I know I need to lose weight. I don't need anyone constantly telling me. When they say "I wish you would get that weight off" or "I wish you would exercise," you should say "I wish you would shut up." LOL I know you aren't going to say that, but it's probably what you're thinking! LOL
Old 07-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #246  
Want to feel better

Hello again,

Carol Sue ~ Sorry you have to go through the sleep study again, but glad you will be able to get a new machine and equipment. I do better with my stuff now. They say you should change the mask cushion and filter every month. Change the tubing every 3 months. And the head gear (hard part of the mask) and the straps and water chamber every 6 months. I started using a C-pap in 2008. Last year was the first time that Steve would get the stuff replaced according to their guidelines. I was always trying to make them last as long as possible before changing them. But it wasn't often enough, and because of that, I was getting a lot of air leakes and not getting good therapy. The cushion not being replaced ~ it was a fight every night as time went on ~ because the new one stays in place on your face better ~ when it gets older, it tends to slide around and then makes these funny noises and flutters on your face and wakes you up or keeps you awake. Don't know if you have had that kind of experience with yours or not. Kind of sounds like maybe you have the nasal pillow kind of mask ~ or the one that just goes around your nose? They tried that kind on me at the check up, but I couldn't tolerate that air blowing into my nose with force. I felt like I was being smothered. My nose often feels stuffed up ~ that is why I end up breathing through my mouth. I kind of feel paniced if I can't breath through my mouth. Once Steve started getting the stuff and I could replace it like they said to, I had better readings with hardly any air leaks.

I never woke up gasping for air ~ I just always felt tired and never rested well. At my sleep study, they told me how many times an hour I woke because my body would wake me because I had stopped breathing. And my oxygen saturation would drop so low ~ that if I had been a hospital patient, they would have been calling a near code on me. No wonder I didn't rest well and didn't feel good.

Your question about the furnace isn't a silly one. It can get cold here in the winter ~ down in the 20's or 30's sometimes. So, yes, we have a furnace. It is in the attic. Houses here don't have basements and the attics aren't so that you can store anything up there. The furnaces are small units. Things are different in different parts of the country. You never know. There aren't screen doors here or storm doors as they were called in Ohio where I grew up. Just the wooden doors with glass windows in them.

Mary ~ I hope things work out for your son with his house. How far will they be from you? I will be glad for you to be able to get some rest again.

Sandy ~ I can identify with you, how you feel with people telling you how you should eat and that you need to execise. For a while, my daughter was wanting me to do the weight loss surgery. Sometimes I thought about it, but I read about it and it just wasn't for me. It is not a magic fix and a person has to change their ways, or they will gain it back. The same changes that need to be made to lose weight the regular way, need to be made even if you have the weight loss surgery. I felt like if I can't make those changes to do it the regular way, I'm probably not going to have any better success with it just because I have that surgery. I didn't want to put myself at surgical risk. I knew people who had had the surgery and ended up gaining a lot of it back. She encouraged me out of concern. Then there is my husband. I suppose somewhere in there is concern, but (don't think bad of me ~ I know him well) his main concern is that if I don't change my ways, I will end up with some catastrophic situation and we will have no money left to live on in our retirement years. He has given me trouble for years ~ part of his controling personality. Finally, he gave up hounding me about it, because he could not “make” me do what he thought I should be doing. We had some bitter discussions. He is perfect ~ did his diet (and the exercise) and NEVER messes up EVER and just doesn't understand how a person can mess up. Geesh ~ if I knew how to do that or if it was as easy as he seems to think it is ~ doesn't he think I would have done it by now? Now-a-days, every once in a while he will ask me how I am doing ~ I try to share without giving too much detail. My eating troubles have nothing to do with hunger, it is how I deal with stress or sometimes boredome, depression or craving.

I know what I need to do ~ eating wise and exercise wise, it is just that I don't do it enough of the time to make much progress. The exercise is more of a struggle for me than the eating actually. I read how people enjoy it and it helps with depression and elevates your mood or makes you feel more energetic. It has never done that for me. The only thing I feel after I do it is a sense of accomplishment at having gotten it done. But it isn't something I look forward to ~ I have to MAKE myself do it. There are so many things I would rather be doing. And not just sitting around ~ I like when I am working on projects and getting stuff done. I am up moving around when I am doing that kind of thing. That should count for something ~ right?

I have been procrastinating here. I need to get my stuff together for a day with Jason tomorrow. He invited me to ride along with him to his appointments, then the grocery shopping and the “vegetable project” ~ LOL. I think it helps him if I ride along, because he is usually going on very little sleep, so maybe my being along helps him stay awake. He only has Fridays and Saturdays off, so any appointments he has to make he only has the Fridays to do them.

I'd better get to bed. Steve forgot he had planned to run out to the store ~ he needs apples for his breakfast. He had already put on his jammies and wanted to know if I would go. I didn't want to go tonight ~ it was after 11 then. He stays up late and the store where he wanted to go was open to midnight, so he could have put his stuff back on and gone, but didn't want to. So, I have to get up earlier than I thought I was gonna to go get those apples.

Hope you all rest well tonight.

Carol Sue ~ the pictures are of the different face masks I have tried for my C-pap. I had the first one, then the second one (no picture) was a variation of the first one. The second picture is of the total face mask. The last picture is of the one I have now ~ I like it much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resmed-mirage-quattro-08-b.jpg (19.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg total facemask for c-pap.jpg (15.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg quattrofx full face mask.jpg (37.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by glynne; 07-08-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #247  

You with the C-pac that actually use it are really amazing. I can't imagine how on earth you fall asleep at all. I do sleep on my back and the bed is adjustable so my upper body is higher than my bottom, so probably if I needed it I could stand it. A Side sleeper must have real problem DH changes positions so often he would choke himself. (I learned to hang onto the cover because he keeps his arm over the cover, turns and takes all the covers with him and I wake up cold.

Gayle Thanks for answering Carol Sue's question about the furnace. I wondered too. We have screens on all windows except in the living room. In 2012 Drancho that knocked out power, downed our big maple, and blew down thousands of trees here in the east, we slept with windows open in weather that didn't go below 90 deg for days. Strange that this year we've had very few days that even REACHED 90 degrees. Rain still again today but DH was able to get grass mowed while dry and in between storms. We also got errands run that meant getting in and out of the car for multiple trips into stors.

I insist on parking way far from the entrance to stores to get in extra walking. Today, even at pre-administration at the Hospital for DH's Colonoscopy, we were quite a distance from entrance and got lost in hospital, adding more walking!!!

Carol Sue Sorry you are required the sleep study but glad to hear that there are new medications that my help you. Keep us posted, please.

Today I'm not as grouch as I was yesterday. Able to get some housework done as well as hours thi morning including bank and week's worth grocery shopping. Lucky for us that many items we needed were on sale, too!
Someone at Church volunteered at 4:00 Adoration time, so I didn't have to go back out. It is a 32 mile round trip and I work hard to find substitutes for the 4 hours a week I'm responsible for.

Garden has been absolutely beautiful with all the cooler weather and lots and lots of rain. Few pots have needed watering. Weeds are thriving, tho.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #248  

Got more sleep than usual last night...when I get more sleep, I feel so much better. Asked dh to let me stay in bed til 9 but I couldn't...I felt ready to start my day so showered, dressed and was ready for breakfast before 9. Surprised dh! It is sprinkling off and on today...suppose to rain next four days from what I heard.

Yesterday I bought my gd's gifts and got my hair cut plus shopped for a few other things however I forgot some things so we stopped for them after the gym today. I grilled steaks last night (inside) and served with baked potatoes and salad. It was good. Today for lunch I had my leftover steak, leftover potato salad (be eating a little each day since the 4th) and leftover salad from last night. Yummy! Potato salad is not so good for me, and my weight is staying the same one pound above my sig weight..maybe now that the holiday food is gone, perhaps it will go down again.

Glynne - I agree that losing weight is hard...it doesn't seem like it should be...in fact I often feel that I am just on the cusp of doing it... but then I don't do the necessary things to accomplish it. I am doing lots better but still in the evening I don't follow my own rules that I usually follow during the day...like don't eat when you're not really hungry, eat only one serving of carb, protein and fat at each meal/snack, and don't allow a large amount of both fat and carb at a single meal...choose which one for each meal to be dominant. If I'm eating beef, I try not to have another fat. Making sure I get plenty veggies with each meal.These are rules that I know work and also help with bs, but sticking to them is not always easy when something looks so good. Dh doesn't hassle me about my weight...it is me that complains more about it actually...but now and then he will mention it...however the strange thing is that if I wish (outloud) that I could have something (usually candy) the next thing I know he has bought it for me...or he will offer me some snack he has. So I need to be more careful about what I say! I could say he is inconsistent (which he is), but I also see that I am also inconsistent as one day I'll say don't buy me these candies and a few days later I'll be expressing a desire to have them...I realize I'm giving him mixed messages knowing he likes to please me. He is disciplined, but not so much as Steve probably...it is more that he doesn't have a large appetite anymore. He eats what he wants but just doesn't eat much of anything. He is disciplined in that he used to eat a lot of rice but now he watches his portions of it more carefully. He can eat more carbs than I can without problems so usually although he might kinda like to eat more rice, the amount that he eats and feels full at, is ok with his diet. Rice is one of the things that he still eats quite a bit of though. He told me this morning he is losing weight, he weighed 153 this morning. Wish I did.

How do they conduct the sleep study? Do you have to go to a clinic and sleep there? Or is it done at home somehow? Because dh complained of fatigue, they had him wear a O2 finger device to monitor his oxygen saturation and it was fine. Our son snores very loudly and for long periods of time. When he lived here sometimes I notice he was not snoring and I wondered whether he was breathing but I knew he would not want me going into his room all the time checking on him. He's had his C-pap several years but I don't think he has ever worn it much. He gets his medical care through the VA and I don't think they follow up too well with people..and also sometimes it is he that doesn't followup as he should. I notice my other son snores very loudly too but he's never been tested. He weighs 210 and is only about 5'8" and carries most of it in his torso so I figure that contributes to these issues.

I too would not want to pay WW or any diet program again. I have learned from a lot of them, but it's up to me to put it into practice, a lot of it I have just not consistently enough. Only one program of that sort (Prism Weighloss Program) helped me lose weight. But funny thing about me is that I find it very hard to go back to anything even if it helped me. With that particular diet I lived on 1200 calories or less and was restricted from certain foods for a long period of time, I felt starved all the time (although I probably wasn't really), and I will not do that again even though I'd love to lose the weight again!! ETA: There is one program I would consider except I think it would cost way more than I want to pay plus I suspect even if helps one has to have "boosters" of it now and then and that is hypnosis. Some people can learn how to do it themselves. I imagine many of these companies are scams but perhaps not all.

I love that we are able to be honest about these things. Golden Girls is about a lot more than weight loss...on the other hand I don't want to turn it into a hopeless case forum either. I will never stop trying and I don't think any of you will either. We are all still learning and changing even if we are doing it more slowly than we would like. We all have our obstacles and challenges but we keep going and trying to overcome despite these things life has thrown in our paths. We can do this and taking one new step (change) at a time I still believe we can accomplish our goals. At the very least we will be healthier and closer to them.

Last edited by maryea; 07-08-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #249  

Mary You said it, we must never stop trying. Some things I've changed and it is sticking, thank goodness.

Today, even 20 minutes weeding in garden has me gasping for breath. Probably the enormous amount of rain we keep having has the MOLD growing at high rate. I'm very, very allergic to mold, it interferes with my breathing. I take Symbacort daily and it has helped, but today that is not enough. I've come into the house that has great filter on the air.

Of course, I'm also cleaning house, removing bedding with the other thing I'm allergic to - dust mites. Just have to work a bit, and sit a bit, then work some more. I'm getting weak with all this sitting. Best I can do is to get up often and keep trying. Can't blame it on being 78 becuse DH is 4 years older and goes constantly as he always has done. He and our son were on the phone planning still more going and doing, then he remember the medical testing Monday and had to readjust his pans. He is always finding ways to make our property better, but wanting to brick the gravel paths in the small side garden is over the top. The cost would really bust the budget, but he is right, it would be nice, just not necessary. We tried to buy some gravel then found out they no longer deliver. We'd have to pay someone to haul it ($100.) plus the cost of the gravel. Definitely not in our budget. I can think lots of ways to use that money and so can DH.

Craving candy has really really grown smaller as I avoid eating candy. I never smoked, but I don't see how it could be harder to quit than it is to limit te food we eat.

Our Son is selling his property with 2 ponds (one with frogs and one with fish) and Swimming pool, hot tub and Gazebo as well as a great home. He hopes to sell it without a realtor. They are moving to Florida, too many states away. I'll really miss all 5 of them. They are so busy that we don't see them much since they were here Easter. After we all worked together at office for so many years and they lived with us the first 5 years of their marriage, it will be so strange not to have them close. Thank goodness Pat lives here with us and plants to keep staying in this general area.

DH made the most delicious Cod for dinner last night with cantaloupe, kale steamed, and corn on cob for them (I passed this time.) He is such a good cook and actually seems to really enjoy doing it. What a blessing for me.
He asked me today if there was anything I had to give up since he retired that bothered me after I had house to myself for about 5 years. I had to laugh. YES I had to give up cooking, cleaning and shoping for meals!!!!
Definitely celebrating that.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #250  

Gayle, I don't think I could wear a mask similar to the ones you showed. The one in the middle is the one they gave me to use when I was in the hospital. It covered my whole face and I felt like I was in a space suit. LOL I kept it on for an hour to really give it a chance, but there was no way I was going to fall asleep with that on. Here is a pic of the one I use. It's the one like the lady is wearing in the picture.

http://www.cpapxchange.com/cart/merc...2AFEAE908AF479

I really can't feel the air blowing into my nose. I can't use the one with the little pieces that go into your nose. My nose gets irritated. But the one I use, the piece with the hole just rests against your nostrils. I am a side sleeper and I don't have any problem with it. I also use the humidifier and the ramp feature. The ramp allows it to start out blowing the air lightly and gradually increases it as you fall asleep.

When I first started using it, insurance covered 100% and they sent me everything new every 6 months automatically. I didn't change it that often, so I started to accumulate supplies. When insurance changed to only covering it 80% I stopped ordering and was just using the supplies that I had accumulated. By the time I used them all up, the company had changed hands and told me I needed a new prescription. Right now the velcro on my headgear is very worn, and there's a hole in the hose, which DH taped.

I think my mask is being discontinued and there's another even less intrusive one they said I could get. I will look for a pic and post it if I can find it.

Mary, I assume all sleep labs are the same. When I had my study done I was in a small room that just looked like a bedroom. A bed, small bedside table, a TV. For the diagnostic test they fasten wires to your head using this stuff that's like sticking a wad of gum to your scalp. That's the only way I can describe it. You also have leads on your similar to a heart monitor. This all registers on a screen out in their office, and they also have a camera on you so they can see how much you toss and turn. Everything gets recorded on their equipment. I then had to go back a second time and sleep using the machine and mask I was going to get, so they could adjust the air pressure of the machine to my sleep patterns. According to what this doctor told me, this study is needed because it's been so long since my first study and my needs might have changed. From the results of this study, they will be able to adjust my new machine.

I asked about the home study, and he said that can be used to diagnose sleep apnea, but for titration, you need to do it in the sleep lab.

I think we could all get this weight loss straightened out if we would just get down to business and make ourselves do what needs to be done. It is so very easy to slip things into our mouths that don't belong there, like the mac and cheese DH was eating for lunch today. I didn't need that!! I was not hungry. It was just there. It was going into my mouth or down the garbage disposal, and my mouth won. I admit that my weight problem is all due to my lack of self control. I know that if I only ate when I was actually hungry I would not have this problem. That's what food is for, to nourish the bodies that God gave us. The fact that the food tastes good makes it pleasurable and we do it more than we need to. Some people are very good at getting the weight off when they want to, like Bobbi always did, but I am not like that. I can't say I don't understand why I can't lose. I know exactly why! LOL

Sandy, at 73, my DH is able to do much more physical activity than I can at 70. My bad knee hold me back a lot. I think because men have more muscle than women they are able to stay active longer, but remember, women usually live longer than men. I think that's because women keep up with doctor visits better than men do.

Your son would probably get used to his CPAP if he had a different mask and my step-son would have, too. This place I'm going to allows you to "borrow" them for 2 weeks to try them out before purchasing.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #251  

Just got home from gd's birthday party. It was at a Big Al's bowling alley. I am achy today so I didn't feel like bowling but I would have loved to as I've always enjoyed bowling. If it's a sport, that would have been my sport I guess. Not that I was really good at it...but sometimes I did better and sometimes terrible. I ate 1 and probably 1/3 smaller pcs of pizza and had a small salad. I shared a pc of cake with dh...but it had candy all over it and I couldn't eat any of that. Used to be I'd have loved it.

They asked me to babysit tonight, I don't really feel like it but I told them I would. I sure hope they come home at the time they said...10:30. I have some chidken adobo marinating...trying a new recipe for it...we will have it tomorrow and I hope dh likes it since it's a little different than our usual way of making it.

Carol - I doubt I could sleep in that type environment...even when in a new place like when traveling...I rarely sleep much the first night. And with the stuff attached to me, I really can't imagine sleeping. Wonder what they do with someone who can't sleep? I used to think I couldn't be hynotized but now I'm not so sure because I have listened to diet hypnosis tapes and I think I was. It was just like resting really well and sometimes I actually went to sleep. I believe that was the hypnosis. But there were also other times when I don't think I ever reached that stage and it felt like a waste of time.

I agree with you on this weight loss thing. I'm the same way, know what to do but don't always do it. Sometimes I just don't care and sometimes I really do care.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #252  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It has been a tiring couple days. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a quiet day ~ to kind of just take it easy and rest up.

Mary ~ I can identify with your babysitting situation. Often times when Sara asks if we will watch Maddie, I don't feel much like it, but I never say no. We have the same hope ~ that she will return when she says ~ sometimes she does, other times (not sure if she loses track of time or what) she doesn't. That can be kind of frustrating when you are tired.

When I had my sleep study, I wondered as well, what would happen if I couldn't sleep. I was still working the night shift at that time and so I thought I probably would have trouble. Especially because they wanted you to go to sleep fairly early. They gave me a sleeping pill so I would sleep. I did wake up once in the middle of the night and needed to use the bathroom. You had to call someone to come unhook you from the machine. My worry wasn't about getting tangled up in and pulling off all those wires that were stuck to my head. I had to have this tube up my nose (kind of like a feeding tube, but tiny). That was placed and they dripped water from an IV bag down into your throat and it somehow helped measure some pressure in there. Anyway, I was scared to death that I would roll over or get caught in that tube and pull it out and have to have it placed again. I had always dreaded if I ever had to have a tube like that. The first sleep study, I had the tube, and while it wasn't fun, the guy who did it ~ did a real good job ~ explained it well and talked me/guided me through the placement of it. (Maybe it helped that he wasn't hard to look at ~ LOL. He reminded me of Mario Lopez). The next sleep study a different person placed the tube. It did not go in the right place and I coughed and strangled and choked. She told me that she would have to take it out and do it again. I asked her if she just couldn't leave it in ~ I dreaded having to have it placed again. She said that with me coughing like that ~ it was not in the proper position and wouldn't work right anyway. Thankfully the second time she got it right. The third time I had a sleep study, they didn't say anything about the tube, I questioned them about that ~ they said the doctor hadn't ordered it, but if I wanted it, they would call him. I said no, if he didn't want it, I don't want it. The room and setting of the sleep study was pretty much the same for me as what Carol Sue described how it was for her.

I hope your little ones behave well and that you don't get too tired. Hope you can maybe rest up some tomorrow.

Carol Sue ~ I didn't mind the mask that covered my whole face ~ the problem with that one was that I could not get a good seal on my face with it ~ it leaked air constantly. The first one, I used quite a long time. But was having air leaks, so they had me try another one similar to that ~ but on that one, the thing that rested against your forehead dug into my forehead and actually hurt. Finally the one I am using now, is fairly comfortable ~ still with some air leaks, but better than the previous ones. They want the hose to point up toward the top of your head instead of down toward your chest. It doesn't stay up there by itself though. They make a thing that clips to the headboard of your bed and you can hook it to that, but I didn't think that would work because I roll around too much. So, I devised my own solution. I took a couple of the stretchy cloth hair bands and I put that around my head ~ around the back and across my face and it holds the tube up like they want it. It also helps hold the mask tighter across my face. I already have the straps pretty tight ~ and to have those straps any tighter to help there be less air leaks would hurt my face. I have always slept on my side or stomach never my back. And with the C-pap, if I sleep on my back, I get even more air leaks. It is like gravity pulls my face down toward the bed and the mask isn't tight enough. Sleeping on my sides or stomach seems to work ok. The key to cutting down on the air leaks was to change that cushion on the mask every month like they said. I had really good readings when I went for my check up this time because of doing that. I think my sister sent me a link to information about a mask like yours, but I just can't do the nose thing ~ even one like yours. Like you, I use the ramp feature. Usually by the time it is up to the full pressure, I have gone off to sleep. During the check ups, while checking your mask, or trying new ones, they put it up to the full pressure right off (they don't wait for the ramp time) and I think when they don't let the pressure increase gradually, is what makes me feel like it is going to smother me.

Like you, my lack of success at losing the weight is because of my lack of self control ~ and like you, I know exactly why I am not losing.

Sandy ~ I had always wondered about your age ~ when you would tell about all the hard work you do in the garden and all ~ but I didn't think it would be polite of me to ask. I think you are amazing ~ to do all that you do, the garden, the activities at church and all, at your age. I feel ashamed at all my whining about stiffness and pain.

All you ladies are amazing ~ you all are older than me and I think you all are pretty active for your ages. I could do more/need to do more, I just don't. I need to work on that.

Why is your son moving away from your area? Just curious. It is sad when we don't get to see them as often as we would like. Sara talks about moving somewhere else from time to time. And she tries to talk us into going where she goes. I understand her reasons, but I don't want to move again. Glad your daughter is staying in the area and you will still be able to enjoy time with her.

Your dinner of last night sounds delicious. I don't think I would mind if someone else took over the cooking. I do it because I have to, but don't particularly enjoy it. From time to time I like to try a new recipe.

I keep thinking of and praying for Karrine and Nan ~ wondering how they are doing.

Guess I'd better get done with this. I still have the PT exercises to do. My father-in-law's wife has encouraged me to start attending church again. I am thinking about it, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Maybe tomorrow? I go alone, so sort of have to work up my nerve.

Hope you all are having a good weekend and can rest well tonight.

The pictures are a couple examples of the C-pap hose holders I was talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c-pap hose clip.jpg (20.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg c-pap hose holder.jpg (16.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by glynne; 07-09-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #253  

Went to church this morning and our son and fam followed us there. Last night our son put the kids to bed ...we thought too early and really without dinner but they may have eaten a lot of junk at the party, not sure...and one went to bed with a slice of pizza. I don't like that but let it go. One went to sleep quickly watching a movie, and the other one stayed up til about 10 playing his video games. At ten I was going to bed and I checked on him and told him it was time to stop playing and go to bed which he did. So we got by easy. It makes me kinda sad though...I would still like to do the traditional stuff with them..give them a snack if wanted, brush their teeth, read a story or two, pray with them, give them a kiss and tuck them in, plug in a night light, turn off the light ...good night. But at the same time I didn't feel well enough to do it and they are not used to that ritual anyway. I've tried to tell their parents that the electronics at bedtime is not good for them, the kids scream for them and it's easier to give in I guess. I also don't like them eating in bed and not brushing teeth and think they will pay for that in the long run, but I can't change them.

After reading about both your sleep test experiences I don't think I could sleep unless they gave me a very strong sleeping pill. I am very particular about my environment for sleeping...it must be dark usually (if I'm very tired or don't feel well, sometimes I can sleep in the day time but even then all doors must be shut and blinds pulled), and I must be free to move about...not sure I could sleep with the gadgets on me and a tube up my nose...euuu....no, none of that! Sure hope I never have to have this test.

I've been thinking of Karrine and Nan too...

After church today we went to a diner...shared chicken fried steak dinner and each also had a salad. I couldn't eat all my 1/2 which is a switch (maybe cause of the salad), but we also shared a sundae so that probably was more than what I left of the meat and potatoes. Not a place to go on a diet...but you know me...if I really like it, I eat it. I was just nicely full though not stuffed feeling when we left. Also made a stop at Home Depot as dh needed something...I just wandered around.

Going to work in the yard a little while today and also try to get a nap.

Last edited by maryea; 07-10-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #254  

When I was in the hospital after both of my bowel surgeries I had a tube up my nose down into my stomach, and I had it for about 4 days. I didn't sleep much the whole time I was in there. That doctor would not prescribe anything for sleep. The couple times I did fall asleep, they came in and woke me for something. Grrrrrr

I didn't have a tube in my nose with my sleep study, but that was at a different clinic so I don't know what they will do here. When I had the first study done I felt as if I didn't sleep all night. I just laid there quietly, not moving, and did steady breathing. They said I did sleep. I don't know how they can tell if you're asleep. I don't normally take anything for sleep, except Tylenol occasionally, and sometimes Benadryl. I don't take them together because I don't like the groggy feeling. I always worry that something might happen during the night and I wouldn't be able to get alert. I can always take a little afternoon nap if I don't sleep good at night. The paperwork they gave me said not to take certain things for sleep, but I don't know if a Benadryl or Tylenol would count. When they are getting me set up I will ask them what happens if I can't sleep. Normally at home I fall asleep with the TV on. I don't know if they would let me do that. I like that white noise in the background.

Mary, my daughter-in-law used to put my DGS in bed then read him a story, then light out. When he got a little older and got a regular bed, he wanted her to lie in bed with him until he fell asleep and she started doing that every night. I didn't think that was a good idea, but it was a nightly ritual for them. He will be 8 in a month. I don't know if she still does that. No one does that for him when he stays at our house, but DH usually lets him fall asleep in the living room then carries him in to bed. My biggest beef is when he plays with his electronics at mealtime. When he stays at our house we usually take him out to eat somewhere and he wants to play with that game the whole time. I want to make a rule that he has to shut it off until after he eats, but DH says to let him do what he wants. So he doesn't really eat, just a couple bites. I doubt if he is allowed to do that with his parents. They eat healthy, and insist on him eating a healthy meal. When we come home and he is hungry, DH lets him fill up on junk food. Oh well, I try.

Mary, I think a lot of people need the sleep study done, but they don't do it because they don't want to have to wear the mask. If you aren't going to wear it, there's no sense in having the test done, IMO. There is a mouthpiece you can wear instead of the mask. I think it's for people whose sleep apnea is not real bed, and it is fitted by a dentist.

Gayle, my CPAP is on a high bedside table. I have the hose going up over the headboard in the back and then coming down the front. The mask I use now has the hose connected in the front, but the one they are planning on switching me to is connected to the top. I like that I should be able to try it out for 2 weeks before I buy, plus if that one doesn't work, I could probably get a different one for another 2 weeks. I think that once insurance pays for one, they won't pay for another one.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #255  

This is a pic of my daughter-in-law, grandson and step-son at a ballgame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg At The Ballgame.jpg (25.7 KB, 5 views)
Closed Thread