Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #196  

Height: 5'3"

Carol - Was rereading the posts and saw your comment about taking Gabapentin. I'm glad you didn't have any problems after going off it abruptly. It can cause depression with suicidal thoughts when you go off abruptly.

Glynne - In regard to what's going on with my family here right now. I believe that when I go through things esp difficult things that it is often (mostly?)for growing ME up, changing me in ways that need to be changed...sometimes it's for others too of course, but usually I find more often change happens in me. Since I want this, while I don't like the discomfort involved of course, I am happy when I see the good things that it builds in me if I let it and don't fight against it. Unfortunately I used not understand this and fought it. So that's what's happening right now..and I'm working on embracing the changes in me that it is making. I learned a long time ago, to not pray for others to change as much as pray for me to change within and through the situation. And sometimes when we change, others change too.

My headache is much less today! Hoping this continues. I got the tasks done I'd planned to do and now and trying to do some decluttering in my office...greeting cards...most are free ones that have been sent to me, some I don't even like, some separated from envelopes, and lots of other paper trash in same drawer. Going to set up a pocket file for them dividing them into categories. This is going to take a while...

Last edited by maryea; 06-16-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have not slept well the past few nights. It might be because Dh has the air condition too cold for my liking. I have been very itchy. Sometimes that's an indication that my BS is too high, but it hasn't been lately. Also, it gets relieved if I take a shower before bed. I did that last night and it didn't help. There for a while I was sleeping much better. DH has been having a lot of dreams and he wakes up and thinks they are real. He keeps telling me someone is in our bedroom. I told him the dog would be barking like crazy if someone came in our house! Last night he told me someone was in our bed with us. I told him I hope it's Nicholas Cage. LOL I know he doesn't remember that.

Mary, I have the nitro you put under your tongue, but rarely use it. I have never had a chest pain in my life in spite of all my heart problems. My pains are slight, and come either around my collar bone or in my left jaw. But I recognize them, and if I get them I head to the ER instead of using the nitro.

This nitrate is something different. It's Avapro. It's normally prescribed for people who get angina, but can be used for people who have isolated systolic pressure to lower BP. I don't see a big drop in my BP. The doctor wanted to increase the dose, but I didn't want that. He told me he would give me until my next routine appointment in 6 months to lower it on my own, with weight loss, or whatever else I try. Now he is bringing me in for another appointment next Friday after seeing the results of the stress test. If all he wants to do is increase the meds he could have done that over the phone. I have no idea what he's going to tell me. I am on 4 BP meds, one of which I take twice a day, so that's 5 pills a day. What is it going to take?

I don't understand the Avapro. I guess they give it to someone who gets angina on a regular basis, but have been checked, and it's not a heart emergency. But Avapro is taken daily, not just when you get pains. So it seems that you could be having a heart event but wouldn't know it because the Avapro keeps you from getting the pains.

I understand that you don't pray to change the other person, but to change the way you react to them. DH gets worked up over his daughter, because they don't handle money properly. But I told him as long as they aren't asking us for a loan, all is well. Some day we will be gone and they will have to get better control. I think they make enough money, but want to live beyond their means. We are their own personal ATM machine. LOL It's so much harder when they are living in your home and you really can't get away from their problems. It's very hard to stay silent when they are doing things that you feel should be changed. Your son probably blames you for some things that are not your fault. I pray that they will find a home soon and ease the tension in your home.

Gayle, I never change my Metformin dose. I take that as prescribed as it does not drop blood sugar. The Amaryl can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar if you take more than you need, and I had that happen 1 time, it went down to 44 during the night. That's why I don't take the full dose if I don't think I need it.

I test before breakfast and dinner. This tells me if I need to take meds, based on what my reading is plus how much carb is in my meal. Then I test at bedtime to make sure it's not too low. I don't want a repeat of the low I had that one time. If it was on the low side at bedtime I would eat a small snack. Just a couple bites of something. The ideal situation is to have your blood sugar back to normal before you eat your next meal, but that's not always easy. My breakfast is usually carb free. Sometimes I don't have lunch because of a late breakfast, but if I do it's usually a salad or vegetables. The carbs come out to play at dinner, because I fix them for DH for his dinner. They say you should have your carbs early in the day so you burn them off.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #198  

I think dh is feeling better since he went off the Gabapentin. At least he says he does...I told him to be sure to tell me if he has any more depression, he did before so hopefully he will. He went to the dr today and I notice his kidney labs are high and are going to be tested again in 3 months. That might be caused by the drug he's been taking for his fungus. He won't be taking it now as his toe nail fungus is under control so hopefully his labs will improve too. The doctor gave him a permanent disabled sticker/tag for the car today. So glad as walking makes him hurt so badly. He walks around the yard but at least he can sit down any time and he does. Even so I think he probably does too much.

I still have a little of the headache but it seems to be getting less and less. Perhaps it is just sinus or something other than the drug afterall.

I got my birthday shopping done for my gd. She will be 7 on Sunday and is coming back to Portland for her birthday party (they no longer live there but that's where all her friends are). I still need to wrap her gifts.

I got my housework done yesterday and even am a little ahead on the monthly tasks. Now today I need to weekly clean the kitchen which is mostly just sweeping and mopping the floor, but I often end up doing it late when others aren't around since it's the main run of our house.

Carol - Oh Avapro...I do know that drug as I used to take it and I have never had angina, it was just given for high bp. I forgot now why the dr took me off it but I take Losartan now and have for quite a while, but I took Avapro for a few years. Maybe it didn't help me either..don't remember. About relationships, not only does my praying (with an open heart to change myself) change me, it also helps me to remain calmer in the situation. Dh finds this harder but at least a lot of it he doesn't hear, and to me it's been much calmer and more fun the last couple days. So I thank God! I realize that these are actually very precious days with my son esp and I want to enjoy them. I give him a hug every now and then so despite everything he knows I am glad he's here and we have this chance to be together again.

I've always been told the most important time to test (so the dr can figure out what's going on and whether my diabetes is progressing) is 2 hours after a meal. I often forget until too late, but I try and mostly it's been good or almost good these days so the Januvia is really helping me. I am not going to go off it unless I really have to.

Carol - I wish I could eat like you...I have carbs at every meal. I try for no more than 2 carb servings (15 gm each) at a meal but sometimes I get 3 or even 4, but I try not to get 4 very often..more like a restaurant meal when I do. Last night was pizza night which recently has been chicken night LOL, and I think I got 4 with the KFC chicken dinner dh brought home. And I don't even like their chicken! Only eat the wings, but it's also the potatoes and gravy, coleslaw and biscuit...those carbs add up fast even if you only eat a little of each thing.

Yesterday I started back using MFP counting my calories and nutrients. I hope I can stick to it. It helped yesterday with that dinner to still keep to 167# this morning.

Not sure I mentioned here but when the guy came to fix our door, he also gave us an estimate on the siding for his small company he just started in Nov. His estimate is about 1/2 the other companies. They work from their homes so have no overhead and are trying work up customers. I think he said they've done about 100 houses now. Plus both have worked in this field for 20 years. I can't help but be skeptical though when something is so much less. This is also the guy that didn't call us like he said he would about the door...but he says the company didn't let him know the parts were in. I still say he should have had it on his calendar and called to find out and then called us anyway. Dh is more understanding bout it than I am I guess maybe because he used to do service work.

Dh wants to go with it, but I want to be sure it's going to be high quality material. I think the siding is probably ok, but am a little concerned about the trim. He is using spruce for the trim ...and I'm wondering how much maintenance will be required to keep it looking well. If you have good siding but worn, weathered trim, it won't be very nice and will be more expense down the road when I may not be able to pay for it. He uses other less expensive materials otherwise too, but I think they are ok probably and won't show but the trim will. Anyone know how spruce holds up in a damp climate? Our climate doesn't seem as damp as it used to be but when the rain comes, it comes!

Well I need to get busy. Dh will probably be home soon and I'm still in my nightgown.

Last edited by maryea; 06-17-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #199  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary How well you explained about praying that you can be changed to make a situation better and to learn from it. I agree, we can't change another, but with God's help I can be changed. This is exactly what has been happening to me and I didn't know quite how to explain it. I'm learning not to "direct" DH as he takes over Kitchen, cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc. Simply go in when he is mowing and clean up a bit what is missed. I no longer tell anyone how to load dishwasher, or to get rid of old left overs. Again, I remove what I recognize is old when I can. That refrigerator is so terribly full that it is difficult to find anything. So hard when I used to be totally in charge, but gradually am learning how to simply . . . let it go and relax.

[B]CarolSue]/B] You are onery to suggest WHO is in bed with you two. Good choice, tho. Re: sleeping in too cold a room, dig out your winter fleece PJs. My problem is opposite, DH want's the bedroom 80 degrees and I sweat. With his snoring so much, we finally have separate rooms to sleep. He has extra heater to boost his temperature to suit him, and Pat and I have our rooms in other wing that has Air Conditioning at 77 degrees. This time of year it stops coming on before we go to sleep because we are in the East side of house where the sun stops coming in after noon. Amazed how much sounder I sleep in a room to myself, but I miss having him close. Now he gets up earlier and I get to sleep later. He also falls asleep earlier while TV is on. It is in his room, the huge room that used to belong to Mom. I turn it off when I go to bed. Of course we have lights out so he can sleep better after 9:30 or so.

We had aluminum siding put on the higher areas of our house a few years ago. The front 3/4 is brick, the back addition is good wood siding that can easily be painted without a ladder. This should work out well. Only problem, the gutter is dropping water at the back angle where the sliding glass door is. I think the installers failed to nail it back at the higher angle so it would drain better. Hope dh can fix it. We paid thru Sears, but paid way more than we should have. They scheduled us 5 months after we signed the contract and were short having enough for sub contractors to finish so they had to come back an extra day. We'd never use Sears again!!!

By the way Gayle Liked your gift for your granddaughter.

DH and Pat are at the Art Center about 2 hours from here, delivering new oil paintings for the next exhibit. The house is very quiet right now. Time for a good book in the stillness. They will eat on the road so I'll snack.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #200  

Mary, I understand the purpose of testing 2 hours after a meal....to see how the meal you ate affected your blood sugar. The reason for doing that is if a food raises your blood sugar too high, you cross it off the list of foods you can eat. Once you know what you can and cannot eat, what is the benefit of doing that? In other words, if you test 2 hours after a meal and your blood sugar is sky high, what can you do about it? This is why I tend to make my own rules. I am in such a habit of eating eggs or eggsbeaters for breakfast, I know I am not going to experience a spike in my blood sugar. I understand that this is not the way they recommend handling your blood sugar, but this makes more sense to me. If we were going out for breakfast and I knew that breakfast was going to include toast and hashbrowns, I would take 1 mg of Amaryl, because I know that that dose would handle the carbs in that food. When I was first diagnosed I was told to have 45 gm of carb at each meal and 15 gm at 2 snacks a day. My meds were prescribed to handle that plan. But I have learned over time that if I eat fewer carbs I don't need as much of the meds. I wonder what my doctor would say if he knew I was doing this? I might tell him next time I go and see what he says.

As much as I like to save money, I too, would be sceptical of the guy who gave you a much lower estimate on the siding. Is there any way you can get references, and/or possibly see a house that he did? Check the BBB? Usually a bigger company can get materials at a lower price, which would enable them to give a lower estimate. Using cheaper materials would be my concern, also. Plus, be sure they are insured. Did you ask him right out how he can do this job for so much less than the others? I understand having the low overhead. We had our air conditioning installed inexpensively by 2 men who worked out of their home and it has been fine for 30 years.

Sandy, I know I was ornery to suggest that Nicholas Cage was in our bed, but HE was the one who said there was a man in our bed. I was just trying to make the best of the situation. LOL He was talking in his sleep and has no idea that I said that. He talks in his sleep often, and often it is to say that someone is in our house or in our bedroom. If that was the case, our dog would be going crazy!

One time he punched me in the back of the head 3 times, really hard. I started yelling and it woke him up. He didn't know why he was doing that. If I had been sleeping facing him he probably would have broken my nose.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #201  

We didn't go to gs' class this morning because we are going to our gd's dance recital this afternoon and have to leave early which doesn't leave us much time for other things. This will be her last recital nearby since they have moved.

My sister called yesterday to tell me my nephew (brother's son) who I just found out recently is very ill, has been put to sleep and the doctor said he would only have about 48 hrs to live. Today I called his wife (too late yesterday) and she said it's now down to 12-24 hrs. I won't be going back but wanted to let them know I am thinking of him and praying for him and his family. He was a good guy and I remember him still as a little boy.

My headache is almost gone...so I don't know what caused it. Still sometimes feel it in there but no pain and much less pressure. I did have some trouble sleeping last night but it was mostly due to my arm pain. Will get it checked when I see doctor or even maybe before.

Carol - I agree with what you said but also what my doctor said is that the testing after 2 hrs is a good way of seeing if your diabetes is getting worse (progressing). If after eating the same type things you usually do and after 2 hrs it is not responding like it did, apparently this is often the first way it shows up. And I did notice that's what happened with me. I think though it is a good idea to rotate the testing times. Regarding the siding, yes I did ask and even told him it makes me kinda worried when he's so low and he said the reasons are 1. new company started last Nov, trying to drum up more business (but both guys have had lots of experience) 2. Working from home, no overhead. He is charging us for a more basic type of Hardi-Plank siding...I'm sure it will be more if we get a more detailed design or something. He may also be using some other cheaper materials but mostly I'm just concerned about trim. We could of course insist on Hardi-Plank trim which would cost more...one of the other companies also doesn't use it tho. I'm going to check again what they use to compare. We also have another guy coming to give us an estimate next week. An additional cost (for both I think) will be getting the dry rot areas of the roof repaired...have to have that done before siding can be completed. ETA: The siding guy who is cheapest said he would give us 2 or 3 references so we can go view some houses they've done and talk to the people. I doubt they are registered with BBB yet since they are so new. I asked about Angie's List and he said they are not in it yet since they are such a new company.

Well, much to do and little time today....at least I got my kitchen floor mopped last night. Dh and I went out to eat (told the kids it was date night), and when we got home they still weren't home so I was able to easily get the floor done without anyone tracking through, then I was pooped and went to bed before 10, very unusual for me!

Last edited by maryea; 06-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #202  

There will be no Father's Day celebration here today. His son took our grandson on a Boy Scout camping trip and his daughter is sick with a cold/flu and doesn't want to get us sick. I don't want that either. DH doesn't care. He hates to be the center of attention, and will enjoy doing what he wants to do rather than entertaining them. I'm surprised they had the camping trip over Father's Day. I know it's father/son, but there are usually grandfather's to consider, too. I don't know what time they are coming home. They might want to rest, or maybe they are spending time with the other grandfather, his father-in-law.

Mary, I feel like one of those old people who don't know what they are doing with their meds. Avapro is not the nitrate. I used to take Losartan, but then my insurance company was going to put quantity limits on it so the doctor switched me to Irbesartan, which is the Avapro. The nitrate is Isosorbide Mono, which is generic for Imdur. For years I took the same meds, but recently they have changed a lot of them. I put them in a pill box that has 7 days a week, and 4 compartments per day. That's the only way I can keep them straight. This last time when I got the Avapro filled they gave it to me by a different manufacturer. Yesterday afternoon when I checked my BP it was 117/49. It's never nearly that low. Either I took double of something by mistake, or this new mfg of the Avapro is more effective. I will have to see what it does today after I take it. This morning I was 150/60 which is what I've been running in the AM. Last night I was supposed to take the Isosorbide at bedtime but I was afraid to take it after that low reading.

I understand what your doctor is saying about the testing after the meal. I really don't understand my lower readings, except that I just don't have the appetite I usually have. Eating fewer carbs, and less food altogether. Today I am making lasagne, so I will need my Glimiperide. Yesterday, I only took 1/2 mg twice a day. I will eat 1 serving of lasagne and have a big salad to balance it out.

Sandy, you are so lucky that you don't have to deal with all this medicine etc with your good health! Good for you!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #203  

Last night we went to our gc's dance recital. Their outfits were beautiful and the dances went well. So proud of them, and esp our gs who has been dancing longer and has more showy dances. Ended with a dance with the group he competes with and it was large number so we couldn't see him much but he loved that dance. This was his last in Portland...now that they live at the coast he will be joining a dance company there. His sister dances but is more interested in basketball. The recital was longer than we expected but the the last part was mostly the older children and went faster at least. It was all fun to watch but we got awfully tired. My dd's mil asked us to dinner but we had to decline...I was hurting and dh was too tired to drive to her house and then drive home afterwards. We grabbed a burger on the way home instead.

Came home to a message on FB to call my niece right away...they didn't have my phone number. My nephew I told you about had passed away probably around 5 pm. At least as far as I know he went peacefully and now he's with his dad on Father's Day. After that I went to bed so another early night. Think I'm getting more like you, Carol Doesn't mean I sleep anymore though. I took tyl so I could finally get to sleep because of my arm.

Today we went to church and then slipped out a bit early to go to our gd's birthday party...turned 7 today. She loved all her gifts! Tomorrow they will go home and next time we will probably visit them there. There was an accident and the traffic was terrible! We were so glad to get home. I told our dd that we probably won't be driving over there again...the traffic bothers dh much more now and his complaining about it bothers me. We'll go to areas of the city nearer us but not that far from now on. I told him I am kinda concerned about a long cross country trip because of this...of course most of the time we won't be in heavy traffic like that but it may happen now and then.

Carol - Oh, sosorbide Mono...I think that's one I remember but didn't know much about it.

We are enjoying the family now more...seems like we all understand each other better...so thankful for that. They gave dh a beautiful card with a handwritten note from his son that made him so happy. I was glad they joined in with the party today too.

I never did declutter and organize my storage containers this week...seems like that's a constant chore. I also didn't thoroughly clean out my fridge..just wiped the drawers where I saw messes. Need to get in their and check dates etc. But tomorrow is another day. But I did get my greeting cards organized (maybe told you that already) so will make it easier to find a sympathy card for my sil and nephew's wife.

Hope you have all enjoyed the weekend. It was beautiful here and warmer today..think about 77. The kids played with water balloons in the back yard after we got home from the party.

Last edited by maryea; 06-19-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #204  

My BG was up this morning because of the lasagne I ate last night. It was delicious. It was a planned meal, not a "cheat" or "slip up." I took more med to cover it but it spiked anyway. Today I am back to my normal menus. My weight was back up the same 2 lbs, due to the carbs, and BP was up, due to the weight being up. LOL Getting some weight off once and for all would make things better all around, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have to eat something to live. Quitting smoking was so much easier because I just stopped, cold turkey.

Mary, looking back to your comment about stopping the Gabapentin, I probably didn't stop it all at once. I never heard that I wasn't supposed to, but knowing myself the way I do, I probably started taking less as the pain got less, and then finally decided to stop it altogether when the pain was lessened enough. I don't understand depression. Sometimes I feel bad or unhappy, but don't consider myself to be depressed as a clinical diagnosis. Just feeling bad. It comes and goes and some days I'm really happy, but for no apparent reason. How do you know it's depression?

I was cleaning my house on Saturday in anticipation of company coming for Father's Day, but when I found out they weren't coming I stopped cleaning and went out and enjoyed myself. Relaxed. So the rest of the cleaning is still here, waiting to be done, but not such a big hurry. I did get the bathroom cleaned, which is always my first priority, then the kitchen is second. I guess the kitchen should be first priority, but I clean up after myself as I go along and clean more thoroughly on cleaning day. When I worked, I used to clean the tub and sink in the mornings after I took my shower. It only took a couple minutes. So that was always done, and the floors got done weekly. When I retired I seem to have given up the rituals I had that saved me time.

DH's son called last night and said he was exhausted from his camping trip with DGS. He said all the fathers had to take a swimming test in the pool, or they were not allowed to take their son out in a canoe. They canoe all the time with the other grandparents The test involved swimming the length of the pool 3 times, different strokes. He said the backstroke was the hardest. He was certified as a lifeguard in high school, but now he's 50, and has had heart surgery to replace a faulty valve. He's not as young as he used to be. I would think that most of the fathers were younger than Dave, since he had John later in life. But John would have been very disappointed if he could not go on the canoe ride with the other scouts. John is an excellent swimmer, too, having taken swimming lessons the past 3 years.

Kathy Gifford just said that she texted someone saying that she didn't go to church on Sunday...she has guests all day. But "auto correct" changed it to say she had gas all day. LOL
Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #205  

We are babysitting this morning for an hour or two, so we missed the gym. Dh probably would have gone but I didn't get much sleep...MAYBE 1-3 hours and that broken up so he let me sleep in and took care of the kids. Then I had a dream that dh was backing up the RV (which we really don't have anymore) and our little gs was standing at the RV door holding on and dh didn't even know he was there. So thought maybe I should get up and see how things are going. Fortunately they were just having breakfast.

After she gets back, we hope to go grocery shopping. And I will be starting on my weekly cleaning...usually start in our bathroom and bedroom. Want to clean out under the bed too. Don't think there is much to declutter but need to clean and organize.

My weight is staying about 167 these days, at times it goes to 169 but then down quickly and I know that's sodium. These days I usually feel nice and full. Last night I was looking for something to eat..I don't cook for the fam on Sun nights...and I couldn't find anything in the frige or pantry I wanted to eat. I finally decided if nothing looked good I probably didn't need to eat. I'm so used to eating just cause it's meal time. But I didn't and soon went to bed (early again). I then remembered about a year or so ago when I just couldn't seem to stop eating esp carbs and my bs were going crazy high. I did some research and realized my body was "carb hungry" because it thought I was starving because the glucose was not getting into the cells. And I'd eat more carbs making the problem even worse. I am sure I posted about it. suddenly I realized the fullness I feel most of the time now is probably because my bs is now being better regulated, and it's going into the cell to be used by the body. All of a sudden it made sense. I really like this Januvia. The Amaryl helped the problem some but also made me gain weight (and I was already gaining due to my eating!) Now with Januvia I feel full and my bs are more stable. So glad the headaches are gone because I'm liking this.

Carol - You have a system...that's what I have too, just ours are different. I usually (not this morning tho!) have my daily cleaning done in my bathrooms and our bedroom done before I even get to the kitchen for breakfast. I also bring through the laundry if need to do it. Sometimes I even manage to weekly clean our bedroom. Then I spend sometime on the computer as I drink my breakast. After that if I don't go out I start doing my other household tasks. For my weekly cleaning I usually do my weekly cleaning one room (or somedays two small) a day and often alternate the living room and family room. I can't keep the family room clean and the living room is rarely used so it seems to work out. My house is never super clean nor super dirty (well some might think differently about the dirty part I guess).

This week another gd is having a birthday party, so I need to shop again.

The siding guy sent us two references to check. He didn't give us addresses, just phone numbers. Was hoping we could just drive by before deciding whether to call. And it sounds like one is still being worked on, so at this point, I'm still not totally pleased with them. But we'll see. The neat thing is about if we go with this cheaper company, we could easily get a new roof in a few months too, so it is tempting. We have another salesman coming this week to give us an estimate. And I still need to check on the trim the previous guys talked about. Just been too busy.

Well better get to work...talk later. You all have a good day!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #206  

Be very careful, Mary. You hear of so many contractors taking advantage of people. I hope you get all the work done you want done and it is satisfactory to you and DH.

This morning I heard the hedge clippers running out front. I had told DH I would help him trim the shrubs if he did it at a time when the sun wasn't beastly hot. The front of our house is shady in the morning, so I went out and helped him. I raked up the clippings and put them in the wheelbarrow and he took them around the back and dumped them on the hill. The shrubs look so nice trimmed and they badly needed it. They are evergreen shrubs around the steps and porch. When we put them in, I wanted to put in these bushes that DH calls jagger bushes. They seem to stop growing at a certain point and don't need to be trimmed. I was thinking ahead, but DH said he didn't want jagger bushes.

Samdy, I have a bush that I think is called Dianthus. I bought it years ago and put it on the side of the house. It was really small, possibly 12 inches in diameter. It never got any blooms on it and never grew bigger. I moved it around the corner of the house to the front and it went crazy. Now it's about 5 ft in diameter and blooms nicely. We trimmed it back a little today to make it a little neater. DH didn't want to cut off all the blooms.

Mary, yesterday when I was reading up about the Avapro, I could have sworn that I read that it can cause a drop in blood sugar. Now I can't find that same article so I don't know if I'm mistaken. That would explain how my blood sugar is so good now with very little meds. It might not be my diet after all. Also, I don't know when your doctor took you off the Avapro in relationship to when your blood sugar seemed to get worse. I didn't gain weight from the Amaryl, but I thought it might be keeping me from losing. I haven't lost any weight since I cut back to a lower dose. I had to take the full 2mg this morning because my BS was up, probably from the lasagne I ate last night. But I haven't taken any more the rest of the day and my BS was 116 just now. I ate some of DH's french fries at lunch, a few M&Ms and a chocolate chip cookie, but only had plain chicken legs for dinner. Nothing with it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-20-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #207  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It was a sunny day today, until I was finishing up my errands, then at the last stop it started pouring down rain. I tried to find a closer parking spot, but couldn't. Finally found one a little closer and it seemed that the rain had slowed a little bit. I used my umbrella and didn't get too terribly wet. Went in and made my purchase. By the time I was ready to come out, it was still raining, but not so bad that my umbrella wouldn't help me.

I got to talk to my mom the other day ~ she sounded pretty good. Yesterday, she was sleeping when I called. Today, I just wasn't able to call at the right times.

I finished Evie's doll's dress. So, now, just have to get them wrapped up and sent off.

It was kind of a quiet weekend. Friday, I went with Jason to an appointment, then went with him to his apartment and helped him cut up his vegetables for the baggies he puts up for the week for his lunches. He can do it himself, but if I do it, it frees up a little of his time to prepare some of the other stuff, and gives us a chance to visit. I take any chance I can get to visit with my kids, because you never know when they are gonna be busy doing something else and there may not be a chance.

Had a doctor's appointment today ~ rheumatologist ~ she says my RA is in a good place ~ meds are controling it pretty well, and the x-rays of my joints are only showing wear and tear ~ not the bad damage that sometimes occurs with RA. I think mine was caught in time and medicines given before I got bad joint damage.

I woke up with a headache, it took all day for it to get gone. Glad it finally is gone ~ I needed to make a pot of soup and it eased up enough that I could do that.

Mary ~ sorry you had another night of little sleep. I don't know how you keep going and do all the cleaning you do and watching the kids, on such little rest. It makes me think of a song we sang in youth group ~ The Joy Of The Lord Is My Strength ~ maybe that is what gets you through. Hope you will be able to find the right deal for your siding. I'm glad the Januvia is helping with your blood sugars and all and that you are starting to feel like you are making some progress.

Carol Sue ~ that was funny ~ the thing you shared about the auto correct. I have to be careful ~ I have found that my phone auto corrects my little granddaughter Evie's name into Evil. Thank goodness, I have caught it before sending it out like that. Ouch ~ sounds like that hurt when your sleeping husband punched you in the head. I haven't had anything like that happen, but I can't wake my husband without startling him, and one time, he looked so angry with me ~ it was kind of scary. I don't know what the answer is ~ I guess just to wait until he wakes up on his own.

Sandy ~ It made me smile about you not telling someone else how to load the dish washer anymore. My husband was doing all that kind of thing when I was still working and he was retired. When I got retired too, sometimes I would load the dish washer ~ it drove him nuts ~ I didn't do it “right”. I guess he finally got to where he had so much else to do, he started letting me do it. I do it all the time now. And guess what ~ the dishes get clean even though I don't load it like he did. LOL

Thinking of you Karrine. Prayers continue for you and Nan.

How are you doing Emaline?

I sort of want to do some hand stitching with my free time tonight, but there is a tiny twinge of a headache still there. I am afraid it might start up again. I did a lot of hand stitching yesterday and wondered if using my eyes so much had anything to do with the headache. To stitch or not to stitch........

Hope you all have had a good day.

The picture is of the finished dress for Evie and the finished little dress for her doll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evie's little dress and doll dress resized.jpg (31.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by glynne; 06-21-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #208  

Gayle, those dresses are so pretty! I showed the pic to my DH. He was impressed, too.

When DH retired and I was still working he started doing a lot of things around the house. Part of it was because he was bored, and part because he wanted me to be free to run around with him on weekends. He started doing the laundry. Do you know the little cup they give you to measure the powdered detergent? Well he put a line on it with a magic marker and told me that is how much soap you are supposed to use. No more. He says if there is suds in the laundry tub after the load is done then you used too much soap and it didn't all get rinsed out of the clothes. Sometimes, If I am doing laundry, he will stand there and make sure I'm not using "too much." After he walks away I add a little more. LOL I want to SEE suds in the washer. LOL Also, he insists that we use Tide. He said his mother always used Tide. I told him that was because back then there were no other detergents like they have now. What man cares how his clothes are washed? Most just want there to be clean clothes. Also, he uses hot for everything. Hot water and hot dryer. So he's not allowed to wash my tops or any dress clothes. One time when I was drying my tops, he went into the laundry room and saw that I had it on low and he turned it to high. Says they dry faster. I screamed at him so bad he will never touch the dryer again when I am using it.

We don't have a dish washer, so he doesn't care how I wash dishes, just so I do them.

About your RA. It never entered my mind that the meds would keep the joint damage from progressing. I always thought the meds were just to ease the pain. I'm glad that you got a good report from the rheumatologist.

Jason probably enjoys the time he gets to spend with you, too. You are a good mother.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #209  

Yesterday was a tiring day...not even sure why, guess cause I'd had so little sleep the night before. The kids were good and I managed to get all the housework done before going to the grocery store but just barely. Mama was home then and Dh by then was also free so we went to the store together. We shopped Costco, two grocery stores and a quick stop at RiteAid for a perscription that had not been filled by Express Scripts because the drs office said it wasn't time and it had just gotten pushed aside I guess. Didn't even show up on the website anymore. I kept thinking it was coming and realized the other day I was almost out and it's for my BP. Dh uses the same med only 1/2 what I take so I borrowed from him and then called yesterday. They explained about the dr so I messaged the clinic and they said that in Feb it wasn't due yet so they wouldn't prescribe....but then I had no prescription and ran out...does that make sense After three tries with the dr Express Scripts lets me know to contact them which I did but since the two did not agree, nothing got done. You'd think the drs office would have sent over a prescription and just dated it out more if they didn't feel it was time...at least then I've gotten the med. I have never had this problem til I changed clinics but I also think Express Scripts made some changes about that time too.

I hadn't been home long when I realized it was time for dinner...I had picked up some cube steaks so quickly made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and cream gravy and made veggie medley called Mexican Zucchini. Thought it was a meal most would eat at least some things. Dh didn't care for it but he ate it and my son enjoyed it except refused the veggie, which didn't surprise me. I should make some veggies he likes, there are a few. My dil liked them but would have liked more cheese on top. The kids only ate the meat. Well at least they ate.

So far today I have put away laundry I washed and folded yesterday, and done the daily stuff in our bathrooms and our bedroom, and also stripped the trundle bed in my office. I plan to weekly clean in my office and the hall today. Won't take long. Then I hope to get to the research I want to do on the house trim. I don't have much time to be on my computer since the kids sleep in here. Also need to shop for my other gd's birthday, but not sure that will happen today cause I think I have to babysit this afternoon. Not sure what we will have for dinner yet. Probably either vegetable beef soup or taco salad.

I returned a top I ordered from another Lularoe consultant...it was too see thru so told her I was sending it back and she said I could exchange. Can't find anything I want so am asking for a refund but not sure she will agree to that. Also want to check out my nephew's obit today as I hear it's online.

Dh is still not himself.....kind of down, unhappy and angry, more picky...I hope its the withdrawal from the med and goes away fast. Later after he rested he yesterday and this morning he seemed fine. So maybe he was just tired. This morning he went to his retiree meeting, good for him to be socializing I think.

Yes that auto correct is a problem...I'm amazes how it changes some of my texts! Some I've caught, some I haven't.

Last edited by maryea; 06-21-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #210  

Mary, DH would never eat chicken fried steak so I know not to make it. I used to love it and would order it out in restaurants, but my tastes have changed and now I don't like any meat with any coating, seasoning, or sauce, other than salt and pepper. When raising my step-children they ate most of what I made, but there were a couple vegetables my step son didn't like. When he was younger and with his parents, he was forced to eat them, but I always fixed a second vegetable if I was serving one he didn't like. I would not have fixed a second whole meal, but a second vegetable was not a problem. He would not eat peas or lima beans. There were never any vegetables left over after dinner. DH used to eat whatever I fixed back then, too, but I think he did that so his kids would eat it. After they moved out there were several things he told me never to make again. LOL

I ate some junk food last night and got a high spike. I think I just got so used to seeing all those low reading and thought I was able to eat anything. I have proven to myself that I can't.

Last night I made Chicken Viola!, which I keep in the freezer for times when I need a fast meal. I cooked an extra chicken breast to cut up in it because they don't put enough in. It's OK for an emergency. I buy the Alfredo flavor. It's ready in 15 minutes, but it took longer for me to cook that extra chicken.

Maybe it is bothering DH that the kids are living there but he knows not to complain about it, since it's only temporary. I think when you're older and used to having your place to yourself, having those people around 24/7 can wear you down, even though it's your own children.
Closed Thread