Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #196  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick post to tell you all that I got an appt with a new doctor for the same day I was to see the old one!! Praise God!! So I'll cancel the other appt and will check this guy out. I really hope he's The One, because I don't like shopping for a doctor. He's a little further away but not much. This is an answer to my prayers regardless if he's the one or not, but he looked the best of all I've checked online that is close to me and I could get into etc.

Busy day today...want to buy Easter gifts for the gc and a little grocery shopping...things I forgot the last time, plus maybe a few things for Easter dinner. Will try to get back for personals later, just wanted to share the good news!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #197  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

So happy for you Mary ~ about the doctor.

Carol Sue ~ I found the pattern ~ looking around on the Pinterest website.

Here is a picture (that came with the pattern ~ not the one I made). The colors I used were similar ~ the verigated row on the one I made doesn't stand out as much,but I think it is pretty. The part I loved was how different stitches and such were symbolic in some way. Here is the description that came along with the pattern.

The trinity stitch ~ God the Father, the Son and the Holy Sprirt.

The single crochet stitch ~ reminds us to have singleness of mind by: encouraging our friend to think only about good and true things (not dsepair) and to remind our friend that we will be with them in mind and spirit.

24 sets of trinity stitches in each row ~ reminding us that God is with us each and every hour ~ like the Hymn ~ I Need Thee Every Hour

Alternating panels of color
7 rows of trinity stitches ~ 7 reminds us to rest in Christ as God rested on the 7th day.

The color blue for peace. The color green for life.

The tassels ~ from the Bible ~ a woman touched Jesus' tassel and was healed ~ Jesus is a healer.

Crocheted on the bias ~ life may be crooked, but it can still be beautiful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prayer shawl for margaret.jpg (60.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #198  

Back to read all your posts. Love2 Your gardening plants sound so pretty. I am looking forward to more flowers. Want to take out some wild flowers and put in a pretty shrub or small tree in that spot. An hour is a good workout! We used to do about 40 min but recently it has been a little less than that..think we will be working our way back up though. A message sounds really nice. Only time I've had one was when my oldest dd gave it to me as a gift or she did it. She is a masseuse in the bay area CA. Business hasn't been so good since 9/11 though so she also is a DJ.

Carol Sue - Sure glad your elbow is better. It made me hurt to look at that picture!

Doitforme- Sounds like you did well with your eating despite the food events. I have trouble with there is too much food around me. My weight is dropping down slowly. Having the kids here is helping. I think just lifting the little gd when necessary (she is 2) probably burns a few pounds! I'm not used to that any more. For the first time the doctor offered me insulin, but I said no for now. I think (not sure though) that I'd rather have insulin than the other injectibles though. But not yet, so far I think I like this new med. It makes me pee all the time though as it takes the sugar out in your urine so acts somewhat as a diuretic and I am already on another diuretic for my bp. I have enough trouble in that department but it's going to be even more so now. Oh well, if it's not one thing it's another I guess. Better than than high bs.

Glynne - Glad things are going better with the medical people. This new doctor is a man. In the past I have always preferred a man ...but I do have a female urologist I really like. Very easy to talk with. She always seems busy but one on one she never rushes. So maybe I wouldn't mind a woman primary care doc now, and dh said it would be ok, but I think he might be more comfortable with a man overall. So will see how the appt goes. Love the prayer shawl both the color and the meaning. I have a friend who makes them and she started making one for my dh when he had one of his surgeries only she ended up making a lap robe instead. She did a good job and made it in black and gray since it was for a man. It is definitely a nice gesture and now she is moving to CA so it will always remind me of her.

Carol Sue - Oh my 44 is very low! Wonder how low would make you pass out? I've never had that happen with anyone I've cared for as we always got OJ to them right away. I don't know how low mine has gone but I did have a few low bs when we were in Washington DC. I felt really strange and found it takes me a while to feel better even with food or esp the glucose tabs. There is very little sugar in those things so I have to gobble several of them. I'm taking my glimiperide with dinner now...and was wondering about that. Since the Farxiga is like a diuretic, I'm taking it with breakfast, so switched the glimiperide to dinner. Last night I was ok though. Did your doctor recommend dinner or evening for it? Mine didn't say. I think if I need a snack next time I'll eat something with more protein and a little carb instead of a banana. It was just all I could think of at the time. I hope you can get relief for your psoriasis too.

This is my first day without the statin drug and I think I do feel a bit better...the pain might have been easing anyway though so not sure if it's the drug. I forgot the first night and took it but put it away last night so won't happen again. It is mostly the general leg pain that has eased but I think my hip also feels slightly better. If he thinks it's the statin, I wonder what he will put me on?

Ok, the men are back from fishing so I better see about dinner. Looks like just dh and I tonight. Not sure what I'm fixing. Was going to heat up the enchilada casserole we had last night plus make chicken fried rice because have chicken that needs to be cooked. Now since it's just the two of us I may just do the rice and a asparagus stir-fry.

Last edited by maryea; 04-02-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today while riding in the car, we hit a bumpy spot in the road and my elbow bumped against the arm rest and started to hurt again. It hit exactly where the pain was. While we were at the store I bought a different brace for it. That one I got with the copper got stretched out and was useless. This one is heavier material, adjustable, you can tighten the compression. I decided to wear that to make sure I don't bump the elbow again. I had it on for a couple hours and the pain is gone again, but I think I will wear it when I go out somewhere.

Mary, that low I had was weird. I had been in bed sleeping and felt fine until I started walking around, going to the bathroom. Then it hit me. I sat down and just sucked on the candy DH brought me. I felt that if I stood up I would fall down. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't woken up having to go to the bathroom. My glimiperide RX is written for 1 mg twice a day. I am supposed to take it with breakfast and dinner. I don't like to take it with breakfast because all I eat is scrambled eggs and they don't raise my blood sugar at all. Sometimes I will take a half instead. The same with dinner. If my blood sugar is not over 160 I won't take it unless I'm eating carbs at dinner. I usually have some, but sometimes not.

Love2garden, I don't think of myself as having a lot of medical problems but I guess I do have more than some. No one in my family lived past 64 so I have passed them all up. I guess I don't come from a healthy family. All this stuff started around 50 years of age when I started through menopause. All the hormonal changes. Other than my heart disease, which I feel is very much under control, none of it is really life threatening. So many other people have problems such as needing a wheelchair, or being blind, cancer, breathing problems, and compared to them I am lucky for a 69 year old woman. I hope I don't sound as if I'm complaining because I didn't mean to, just explaining what medical issues I have. I feel that God has taken very good care of me.

Gayle, that prayer shawl is beautiful and such a nice idea. I have never heard of that before. It's so thoughtful of you to do that.

I did get some good news about my Cpap machine. Remember I told you I was having a problem with it and thought my mask was leaking. A couple nights ago I noticed there was air coming out of the hose, and looking closer I realized there was a hole in the hose. That's what was making the hissing sound all night. I had an old set of headgear that I kept and I took the hose off that one and now it's nice and quiet again. That's one thing I no longer have to worry about.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #200  

Default Good morning?

I am doing good so far... I stayed on plan yesterday... Today I am meeting two friends for brunch so will choose something off menu... Then going to pick up my mom she often spends the weekend with me. She has had a lot of medical issues over last year or so... Bad diabetic, cirrhosis of liver- from diabetes she never drank alchohol, 3 joint replacement, recovered from bad car accident 4 years ago were she broke her femur and shattered the big bones of the pelvis, broke ribs,fingers ect. She is just recovering from celulitis and staph infection in one leg. I treasure the time I can spend with her. I take her on Dr. Apts and too church and then on weekends I pick her up. She stays till Sunday then we go to church and then take her to church and then back home. We watch TV and visit its nice. I treasure that time. So busy day today. Glad to be off from work for the weekend. I supervise a state community residence that has 4 gentleman. I have 9 staff I supervise. Never a dull moment.

Glynne- Can't lay in bed if I can't sleep either.. Prayers that all gets set up for your surgery and tests go well. My husband has me set up all his Dr. Apts. And get scripts etc. He wouldn't go if he had to do it himself. He is a great helper around house he helps with everything. He is a better cleaner then me. Love him dearly... But so nice your hubby is helping set it up. Love the prayer shawl and the pattern and saying that goes with it. A nice gift it reminds the person they are not alone. They have a great god and an awesome friend.

Wannabe- Prayers cortisone shots works for your elbow relieve the pain and inflammation. I ave been going to physical therapy for my back and shoulder I am having rotator cuff issues hurts to move arm up and back. She does deep massage stretching muscles and tens machine and heat. Feels better a couple days after therapy. I also has psoriasis but it is only on my head especially near my ears and back of head I use betamethisonen and clobetosol. I had 20 treatments of extract therapy last fall. Which helped it was gone but has come back over the course of the winter it is moderate to severe but only on my head. The beet horseradish sauce sounds yummy have to try it. My hubby loves the Tommy copper back support prayers yours continues to work for your shoulder.

Love to garden- Yeah! I live in mobile home and have flower beds around the side and in front of it. Love the spring with the fresh green grass and flowers like sitting outside on back porch reading and enjoying looking at the flowers Snow is melting so soon. :carrot

Maryea- Glad you were able to find new Dr. Prayers your visit goes well. A doctor should never make you cry, for the reason yours did. Just sad he thanks that highly of himself. Will loose a lot of patients that way.

Well gotta run take shower and get going but you ladies have a blessed day.. Thanks for the big welcome. Prayers !
Old 04-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #201  

The new elbow brace worked well overnight and I also took a Motrin to help settle down the inflammation. I read online the the cortisone starts to work right away, but can take a few days up to a few weeks to resolve pain. I think the swelling is gone, but it did hurt a little bit overnight, but I think that's because I bumped it yesterday. We are taking a short day trip today so I will wear the brace to keep myself from bumping it again. It is worth the $8 I spent for it.

This morning I baked my sugar cookies for Easter at my step-son's. I made 1/2 recipe, about 18 cookies. They are shaped like an egg and have the imprint of Happy Easter on them. I sprinkle colored sugar so it goes into the imprint, purple, green, blue, pink and yellow. So spring looking! My grandson will like them, and I think his parents will too! I think I'm the only one in our family that makes things home made. They ordered a ham and smoked kielbassa from an Amish store near their home. I'm sure it will be delicious, but I'm from the old school, where you serve your guest home made food. I think the 40-something generation believes why cook when someone else can cook it for you? LOL You gotta love 'em!

Doitforme, glad you had such a nice visit with your mother. I'm sure she loves the time she spends with you.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #202  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue Agree with you that if we invite someone here for a meal, it must be home cooked. Our grandsons agree, and love to cook so the 20's and early 30's guys are with us, too. Hope that elbow continues to ease off the pain.

Congratulations for living longer - perhaps you live longer because you cook and can avoid some of the dangerous things sometimes in restaurant food.

Sue Your special time with your Mother will always be remembered as a good time. Too many wait till too late and are not blessed as you are.

Maary DH had leg pain with his Crestor, went off it for a few months but blood test showed how important it is for him. He only takes it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. How often did you take your statin med? wouldn"t it be great if you can do without and it solves your issue, too?

Gayle What a beautiful shawl! Even better is the symbolism involved with it. You are praying for her with every stitch!

We just came home from lunch at our favorite restaurant with our son & family, and one of our daughters. We talked, laughed and caught up for 2 wonderful hours. Food was definitely secondary to being with ones I love.

Good rain last evening as we came home from Holy Thursday services at our Church. The evening truly makes us aware how much God loves us, and makes me want to live a better way to become a better person.

Rain continued all night and today and was across the road a bit as we drove home from lunch. Robins are out enjoying the worms that feel drowned in the soil that is so wet. Since yesterday with the rain, the trees have begun showing so much life, Hosta plants peek up, and the pansies I planted last fall are perked up ready to really begin blooming.

Anyone remember the plants "Johnny Jump Ups"? Viola plant reseeds and we let it come up anywhere it wants with the small faces a lot like pansies, but smaller. The bloom faces the sun and moves from east to west during the day. Remind us of fans at a football game as they watch the game go from one end of the field to the other.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #203  

Just received two packages from Amazon. I subscribe to a few things there, things I use often, and that's what it was...one of the things was chocolate stevia. I use it in my mocha drinks I make. Strange thing...it comes in a little bottle with a rubber top in the lid so you can measure it in drops. Doesn't take much. Well, the rubber top was torn, so it was open clear into the liquid, yet the seal was intact. So I emailed the company and even tried to send a picture but it took a long time and even now I'm not sure it went through. I'm hoping they will send me another bottle. This one is probably ok but these days you never know.

I am still very happy about going to a new doctor! I am going to print out the visit summary from my other doc so he can see all my conditions and medications although I'm sure he will want my full record before long. I don't care now as I never plan to go back.

Anyone go to Black Friday services? We have what is called the Service of Darkness. I'm not sure but think we will be going. Our son said last night he would go with us even though he will just get home and have an hour or less to get ready to go. So I'm fixing hamburgers tonight and planning to eat early.

Went to the gym this morning as usual. I'm still hurting but perhaps a tiny bit better.

Just found out an old neighbor friend died on Tuesday. We were the same age and always had fun chatting. My boys played with her boys. She and her dh were really good neighbors for about 35 years. Lost contact when they moved. Am trying to find out when and where the service is.

Love2garden - I think I'll have to be on something for my cholesterol. I've tried this before and can never be sure it was the med that was causing the pain. I take it daily. Maybe it could just be cut back...never thought of that!

Doitforme - cirrhosis of liver, I never thought about diabetes doing that! I have a pain upper rt abd about two fingers above my gall bladder scar and have wondered about my liver but it may be too low. No chance to ask the other doc about it of course. I doubt it's anything bad because it doesn't hurt consistently and usually only when I'm eating but I do feel it right now just sitting here. Often get it when I also have back pain on that side too, so maybe my posture or something too. Glad you have time to spend with your mom. Sounds like she's been through a lot. Mine's been gone a very long time now and I still wish I could talk with her sometimes.

Carol Sue - Glad the brace is helping you. I'm buying frosted sugar cookies for Easter. Can't get myself to bake anymore but yours sound great. I don't usually keep sweets in the house and these particular gc are used to having sweets alot. I feel so guilty for not baking but they always have so much already, I don't feel it is needed. But for Easter I will have the cookies and ice cream. Glad your Cpap was easily fixed. My oldest son came home early as has appt about his. He has never used it here. So I'm hoping he is rethinking that. I had never seen one...he had it out here testing it I guess to see whether it still works.

Kids are home so better get off computer. I need to clean house too.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #204  

Mary, I used to bake a lot, every week, but not much anymore. DH loves his baked goods but usually he buys what he wants because I don't eat it. If I make a cake it's too much for one person to eat. Once in a while I will bake a pie for him, just using refrigerated pie crust and canned filling. He's happy with that, and why make more work for myself. My grandson loves sweets, but they limit what he's allowed to have. These cookies I baked are just to have something festive for the holiday. She will probably have another dessert, too.

I'm so tired. We had to do some shopping this morning, then I came home and made the Easter Cheese. Then my step-son asked DH to make pierogies for tomorrow, and naturally, DH wanted to comply, so we did that. Very time consuming. Then I made the horseradish and beets. Then I decided to make another Easter Cheese to keep here because I like it so much. I hope DH doesn't expect me to cook dinner. LOL

I hope everyone has a nice holiday!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #205  

I just got home from shopping...thought that was the last of it, opened the fridge and discovered I need more eggs, bacon and may pick up some cinnamon rolls for Easter breakfast so I'm about to go out again. I was going to make something really special for breakfast, but don't feel enough would eat it to make it worthwhile. This family is SO picky and even within their family they all like different things! So picky beyond picky!! I got 4 different kinds of ice cream, 2 packs of cookies, and 2 small pies...the pies are for dh and I ..apple for dh and pecan for me. Right now I'm seeing candy all around the house and I don't feel tempted to eat it but I know tomorrow I will get tempted just cause it's a holiday so made sure I have something I like too.

I woke up very early this morning...not sure of time but still really dark..and my hip was really hurting. I am not so sure it is muscle now and am wondering about the joint. Would joint pain just suddenly come on? It's only been a few weeks. Sometimes it's been a little better but it's always there and sometimes is worse again. I'm learning to be very careful when I step up or down although up is worse. My little gs was pulling at me last night and made me turn quickly and it hurt. I really hope the new doc will take it seriously and be able to find out what's causing it.

Well I'd better go out again before I decide to forget it. Dh and older son are fishing today, others are out doing their own thing, so I've enjoyed the alone time.

Last edited by maryea; 04-04-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #206  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It was such a nice day today ~ unexpectedly ~ not the weather but with family. Since DD got her divorce ~ holidays have not been the same ~ sometimes not happening at all, kind of sad.

DD had been to a gathering last night (after a hard day of yard work) with Maddie and got back later than she expected, and was so tired that she didn't get to get the stuff for Maddie (from the bunny) like she had planned. So when Maddie didn't find anything in the morning ~ mommy was prepared with an explanation. She told her that the Easter Bunny was probably mixed up because Maddie is over at Grandma and Grandpa's so much that he thought he should leave her stuff there. So, she brought it over here and DH and I hid the eggs and basket, then sent a message that the job was done. She and Maddie came over and hunted eggs, had lunch and then colored eggs just for fun. The eggs we hid were the plastic ones that had been filled with jelly beans and coins. There were also some real egg shells that had been emptied of egg and filled with confetti and glitter. That was fun ~ breaking the egg or having it broken on your head ~ messy but fun.

So, what started out as a dreary ~ thinking we would miss out on yet another family time ~ turned out wonderful.

After they went home, I worked on cleaning the refrigerator out. It had needed doing for a while, but it never seemed to work out that I had the time and energy at the same time. So glad to have accomplished something.

Hope you all had a nice day today.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #207  

Gayle, it sounds like you have a very nice holiday. Your DD make a quick save on the Easter Bunny story, and it sounds like it turned out well and Maddie and Grandma had a great time!

Our Easter was wonderful. The weather couldn't have been better, compared to what it's been lately. Bright and sunny, a bit of a breeze. My step-son hosted and for some, it was their first time at his new house. Everyone who was invited showed up, and my step-daughter, who previously said she would have to leave early to go to her sister-in-law's, actually stayed the whole time. I'm sure her sister-in-law wasn't happy about that, but I guess they were having fun and didn't want to leave. Everyone brought food, so we had a few things that I don't usually have when I host. All the food was good. My grandson goes to an egg hunt in the morning. He doesn't get an Easter Basket because they don't get him much candy, but he gets toys instead. Video games. I made up an Easter Basket for him with some candy, and when I gave it to him he was so happy he ran around the house yelling and showing it to everyone. I didn't realize it was going to be such a big hit with him. He also had a little decorated box with some candy he got at school. He was passing out the things he didn't like. LOL

Mary, it's so hard to plan a nice breakfast when you're dealing with picky eaters. When the kids still lived here I tried to do that on holidays and they never appreciated it, so I quit. They just wanted a couple doughnuts. That's not breakfast to me.

I hope your hip feels better. My right hip hurts from time to time if I lay on my right side but once I get up and walk around it's ok. It seems that when I am eating a lot of vegetables it stops hurting, but so many people have told me that that is coincidence. Who knows?

Yesterday I didn't have any pain at all in my elbow or arm. Just when I think it's healed, the pain comes back a bit. It's been 5 days since I got the shot.

Hope your holiday was good, and you too, Love2garden.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #208  

I have to tell you all what I did. I feel so stupid. I am normally very good at paying my bills, and paying on time, etc. I got my gas bill and the amount they were saying to pay was only $21. I knew something was wrong. I looked where it said they received my payment last month and it was much higher than usual. Here, I sent the cable payment to the gas company and the gas payment to the cable company. And they both cashed the checks, even though they were made out to someone else. I called the cable company and they are showing my account as delinquent, as the payment they go was not enough. I paid the balance right away, but I will probably get a late charge on my next bill. If I do, I will call them and ask them to take the charge off, explaining the reason for the short payment. In my opinion, they were wrong to accept a check made out to someone else. If the mailman puts my neighbor,s social security check in my mailbox by mistake that doesn't give me the right to cash it. I just don't want to pay a late fee even though it was my fault. We'll see how this all turns out. I need to start paying more attention to what I'm doing.

I also haven't filed my taxes yet. Yikes!!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #209  

Default Happy belated Easter to all!

Glynne-Glad you enjoyed the time with your grandchild... Kids have a way of making holidays special.

Wannabe- been there making mistakes with bills easy to do when your busy. My taxes are done and back. Prayers your elbow is doing better. All your holiday goodies sound yummy.

Lovetogarden- love johnny jump-ups and hostas hostas will grow anywhere even in rocky soil

Maryea- I have hip pain but it comes from my back and radiates into my hip. Heating pad on back helps or physical therapy if insurance covers it. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Prayers doctor visit goes well. The chocolate stevia sounds yummy. Chocolate is my weakness. Mom didn't have any signs or symptoms of the cirrhosis just an elevated blood level. Mom was diagnosed when she had surgery in sept. For a bowel obstruction and her surgeon discovered it. She is on meds now to help keep ammonia levels down in her blood.
I had a good Easter. Went to church and then out for dinner was really nice. Got a phone call this morning from moms public health nurse she wanted mom to go to ER cause she was short of breath we spent 8 hours in ER and they said they thought it was caused from pain elevation. She is having ulcers popping up on the leg that she had celulitis on and we don't know what's causing them. They released her she has to go back to primary for evaluation. So the last two days have been bad eating wise didn't drink enough water and then ate out both days. Back on target tom. Anyways gotta run have to work tom. Just wanted to pop in and say hi! God bless!

Last edited by doitforme; 04-07-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #210  

I want to tell you what my step-daughter did, that made me so proud of her. History. When she got her first job she wasn't making much money. She called me at work one day and told me she went to the ATM and it said she had $800, and she would never have that much money in her account. I told her to call the bank and tell them, it's the right thing to do. She did that, and they made her come in and bring her checkbook because they thought she had done something wrong. When they went over her account they found the error they had made, and thanked her for reporting it. I felt that it was important to do the right thing, instead of spending that money that wasn't hers.

Now she told me that she was in the grocery store and she saw these roasts that were really cheap. She looked closer and saw that they had a sticker on them for something else that showed a much lower price per pound. She called the meat cutter over and told him they were priced wrong and he took them all out of the case. I was proud of her, because a lot of other people would have just put a couple of them in their cart. She learned the lesson of honesty and it has carried into adulthood. Their money is really tight and she could have used those cheaper roasts.
Closed Thread